Music

New Music: Eedris Abdulkareem – Baba

With all the controversy that got stirred this past week and as promised, Eedris Abdulkareem is back with a new single, “Baba”. Produced by Mikkyca. Enjoy!

Play Eedris Abdulkareem – Baba
[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Eedris-Abdulkareem-Baba.mp3]
Download

In case you don’t know what “controversy” I mentioned before, watch the following interview where Eedris Slammed a lot of industry cats from D’Banj to P-Square and talked about his previous confrontations.

Part 1

Part 2

And here was Don Jazzy‘s reaction:

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them. Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. Austino Da Whizchap!

September 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I Pray He Really Finishes His Biz on Time, Else This Music Business Go Finish Am. Oko Omoge (Ashawo)….I Hail O! Wish You All The Very Best.

2. Purpleicious Babe

September 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm

He has alot of anger him… wow.. poor dbanj is getting some too

@ least he said his own side of story…interesting too about the 50cent.

3. Concerned

September 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Did guy dey vex ooo!!! Deep down he makes a lot of sense just that it seems to come out in d wrong way. I really dont blame him. We are fake in 9ja.

4. O

September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am

lol! Babanla trouble maker!

5. grapes

September 10, 2012 at 12:07 am

frustration at its peak. how can u seek relevance by trying to bring others down? what is his point in singling out D banj? D banj don big passsss u, and there s nothing u can do about it. hissing all d way.

6. omoibo

September 10, 2012 at 1:11 am

Eedris, you can get your point across without attacking other artist for their success, makes it sound like you are envious of their success. Sure, you were a pioneer in the 9ja music industry but like the seasons there is a time for everyone and now is Dbanj & Co’s season to shine. A bit contradictory of yourself when you say you don’t collect money from any government & yet turn around and say the only govt you take money from is Oshimole, hmm…..If you are a true student of Fela as you continually claim then you should know that the Abami Eda never took money from any government period….
    If I had to take a guess, I would say it’s a case of a has been trying to stay relevant as much as possible, just my 2cents

7. anoon

September 10, 2012 at 1:40 am

Normally i don’t respond to “nansense” like this 🙂 , but chei! i don laff so tey, i dey roll for ground ,laughter wan kill me. What shall we call this oh? frustration ni abi what?
    what i get from this one -sided convo is anger, frustration, joblessness, etc.
    Ok so Edris is back and so what? we should do what? Edris,get back into your la creme- studio and spin out club bangers, songs that will make your, supposed ardent fans rush to the market .Not “ish” like calabar love with keke,or that baba song up there.
    Don’t sit on ur ass, reminiscing on past events with 50 cents, name- dropping and all that “ish”, if truly you are a legend, a fore-runner, a torch bearer like you are claiming up there in those vdeos, stop all this empty- rants and get to work or else what your rants boils down to for me, na” bored Sunday- evening entertainment” .

8. Msunderstood

September 10, 2012 at 3:09 am

Failed artiste, who cares.
    D banj don’t mind them Jo, keep doing ur thing. It cld ve been anybody in his place. We all believed in Goodluck J until dey decided to make his tenure hot for us. Why single out dbanj, a lot of celebrities stamped GEJ. Whether you like it or not Dbanj is way above you. Forget story.

9. St. ED!

September 10, 2012 at 4:34 am

I think Eedris has simply lost it! Producing a song just for OBJ is just childish and insane…..Even the song, lyrics and even the rhythm makes no sense…! I think he should simply apologize to the entire nation and Nigerians for ever calling the country jaga jaga…….I think Baba OBJ was right! Its insane for a youth to call his country jaga jaga and then expect to reap and progress in such a country……you can’t eat ur cake and have it……….Right now, he’s going to war with D’banj and co, that I think is really unnecessary………..The simple fact is Eedris cannot call his country Jaga Jaga and then expect to earn and make money in such a country…….Even the God of the land won’t take such insults…..!

10. praise

September 10, 2012 at 6:51 am

Eedris needs a plate of amala and ewedu with a cold bottle od Ragolis to cool down.

11. praise

September 10, 2012 at 7:06 am

Just watched it. Eedris, you have real balls unlike some. You’re a boss in your own right sha.

12. Brandigest

September 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

50Cent is now running a multi million dollar company, investing on head phones, movies, fashion, etc Dbanj’s train has since taken off to greater notches, so pls Mr Eedris it’s hight time you too moved on on a fresher note. In as much as he claims he ws d reason Dbanj n co statrd gettin paid, I ask where will u place 2face who opened up international doors to all ths artistes, through his act n MTV award he became a path through which entertainment outfits like MTV, Trace Urban, bigtime corporations n international community got interested n recognise naija music as a genre…my advise for Eedris is dt Nigeria music industry has now gone nuclear n competitive so he should up his game so as to remain relevant. How can he out rap MI,Iceprince, Vector,Yung61x, Eva, illbliss, Godwon n co who are not kiddin on thhe game.

13. Brown

September 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

Eedris is just an idiot. looking for publicity. BN pls stop putting things up about him. tnx

14. truthbetold

September 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

Is this how to revamp a dying career? Taking a swipe at the former President? Honestly, this guy has not really learn. This has shown again that Eedris has got very small brain that triggers his irrational behaviour all the time. At close to 40 I doubt if he will ever learn again. Somebody should also tell him to stop smoking whatever he smokes so that he can at least think straight and clearly. O basanjo never stopped anybody from giving you shows, ur too small an issue for him. You destroyed ur career by yourself due to your arrogance and irrational behaviour bro. You are not Fela and you can never be one. If you were still in the good books of the multinationals and were getting paid like dem A rated artiste will you still sound like an activist. Activism for you is a way out of the poverty you inflicted on yourself.

• David

September 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I read this post and I am speechless, You are on the same page with me.. U are so current

15. Leesah

September 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

from dis video it shows that Idris is frustrated, he should sha take it easy coa awon set e ti le.

16. paulmirabilis

September 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

@Msunderstood:You are a fool and I pity your generations to come.I’m very sure you are still going to be fooled by Jonathan come 2015!

• Msunderstood

September 10, 2012 at 7:14 pm

@paulwateva What ve I said to warrant dis outburst? Obviously u r frustrated like ur brother, Eedris. Ode.

17. Tee

September 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

@Brandigest,are u minding this nuisance called Eedris?Like many have stated here,the guy is completely frustrated….U have spoken well but i may also like to state that D’banj and Tuface are most definitely the highest award winning artistes in Nigeria.I don’t really think there’s any winnable award in Africa that both of them haven’t won so thumbs up to them but if u give more kudos to Tuface for being in the game 1st,then i agree with u without a single doubt.Internationally,D’banj has done a great job esp with his Snoop Dogg collaboration which opened doors for others as well as his Oliver Twist song which undoubtedly is the biggest song out of Nigeria in its history,i guess.Ofcourse Tuface’s African Queen which was used as background song in Phat girls etc.Its mega kudos to both of them and despite D’banj meeting Tuface in the industry,they both have immense respect for each other.Never has there been any single beef,beef talk or envy from them both.So my dear sis/bro,lets disregard Eedris pls.He barely is worth our time!

• Leesah

September 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

well said, completely agree with u.

18. Tunmi

September 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I’m surprised at how people are translating this. “Baba” is not a jab at Obasanjo. Rather it is a jab at the leaders of Naija and the state of the country. It calls out the leaders of Naija for failing to do their job. And it speaks back to them when they try to silence his criticism: “I call you jagajaga and you curse me”. “Baba” is reminiscent of “Naija my country”. The message is that he loves Nigeria but why oh why are things still the same 10 years later.

I applaud Eedris for what he does. He serves as a voice for the streets and you don’t have a lot of that anymore. Asa, Nneka, Sound Sultan and MI still do that but Eedris can relate to the people. He has tackled corruption and failing the people (Jajajaja), leaving Nigeria for “better shores” (Come Back Home), and sexual harassment (Mr. Lecturer). The four dabble in societal issues and I must applaud Omawumi for addressing sexual harassment (Na Who I Go Ask). He does not make club bangers, his songs have depth and meaning to them. His songs have a societal message and he’s passionate about that. PSquare and DBanj make club bangers and they do that well. I like all 3 but there is music and there’s music. DBanj is doing well for himself and so is PSquare but I won’t say they are opening any doors. The doors were already opened by Fela, Trybesmen, Eedris and several other whose names I can’t remember for the life of me.

Eedris is angry the same way Nigerians are angry, and I think he has a healthy avenue for his anger and his frustrations, and his music does that beautifully. Eedris is talking about what he had to go through and it was rough. Based on the part about 50-cent, he had to endure the same thing many Nigerians endure abroad, but he endured that at home opposite a foreign artist. He, among other artists, paved the way for today’s artists and he doesn’t want the title of an “artiste” dragged in the mud. Eedris is talking about what all Nigerians talk about on the blogs and forums. This time he’s targeting the artistes who should be for the people who are instead for the politicians, or so the people. Now Eedris is angry because according to him, DBanj is tarnishing the name of an artiste and he is rightly upset. He is also upset at the politicians who are not doing what they should be doing. This is what Sound Sultan used to do, except he did not talk about it, he only sang about it. These videos sound like a documentary but the way the clips are edited sans questions and background information doesn’t help.

Eedris actually gives DBanj a very good piece of advice, “make your money wisely”. He’s not hating, he just wants them to be true to where they came from. A lot of people were upset and rightly so when the ad for Goodluck came out and when the subsidy protests happened earlier in the year. Artistes, especially those who claim to be students of Fela, have always been critical of government officials. So for DBanj to do an ad for Goodluck is contrary to what Fela would have done. I like DBanj but him claiming to be a student of Fela was a no-no. It’s something else to be inspired by his music or use his beats but DBanj is no student of Fela. Folks lambasted a lot of artistes who did not speak out during the subsidy protests, and I remember the Sahara intervew (bless that woman’s strength to endure his silliness) and that’s what Eedris is doing here. Now I have one question as to when this interview was done and why it was uploaded a week ago. I think this interview was done around the time of the subsidy protest but why is it uploaded now?

• oriyomi

October 31, 2012 at 7:00 am

You don’t know any thing okay, wise up little girl.