Events

Are You Above 28 & Unmarried, a Single Mum, Separated or Divorced? Experience a Fresh Start at “Broken & Beautiful Boulevard” – Saturday 27th October 2012

Broken & Beautiful Boulevard is an inspirational and motivational event aimed at providing a platform whereby ladies that are single & eligible for marriage; single mums and separated or divorced can share experiences and lay down their burdens for a fresh start.

In today’s world, ladies within the above categories are tagged “second class human beings” and a stigma to the society thus most of them tend to live below God’s expectation of them, settle for less than the best or are driven to do things outside God’s purpose for their lives.

Broken & Beautiful Boulevard is a forum where women are celebrated and given a reason to LIVE and LOVE again because success and happiness tomorrow depends on the next step.

Date: Saturday October 27, 2012 Time: 3PM Venue: Oriental Hotel, 3 Lekki Road, Victoria Island, Lagos

Limited Seats are available so register now! To register, CLICK HERE

For more information about how you can participate or sponsor the event Call Debbie on 07044404877 | Email [email protected] | Visit their website www.skriptureswithdebbie.com  _____________________________________________________________________________________________ Sponsored Content

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. AA

October 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

So what makes them broken? How has title of broken made them feel any better about themselves? There is nothing wrong with any woman I this category. Life is not a guarantee of total happiness. Some people will marry and others will not, some women will have children, and others will not and some will stay married and others will not. If women continue to expect total happiness ALLthe time, the we aregoingto be disappointed. Accept where you are inlife and be happy and do not allow anyone to label you

• chinua10

October 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

@AA very well said!!!

• Msho

October 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Well said! why call them broken? There’s absolutely nothing broken about being 28 and unmarried or whatever the other categories are. The organizers seem to be well-meaning, but I don’t know too many women who would like to attend an event that tags them as “broken” regardless of all the other areas in life that they’ve been successful

2. John

October 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Are guys invited? Could be a good place for match making.

3. Tari

October 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm

@ AA dont mind all this labelling nonsenseI know 25 y/o married women with children that are broken so wtf? Abeg you are only broken if you think you’re broken so don’t make happy unmarried 40 year olds or happy single women feel like there’s something wrong with them.

4. Chizo

October 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

From the best i understand about life, being a single mum, separated and the almighty divorced or even widowed doesn’t stop any one from being happy or make anyone broken. Happiness is a state of mind. Even the rich also cry….

5. Sbaby

October 26, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I am 31 and single, size 14 can i grace the occasion?

• pretty

October 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

lol

6. Frida

October 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm

AA said it all. But I have to add …GATDAMBIT, this naija mentality of marry, be married or die has to stop. BROKEN, really? At 28? Because you are not married? The sad part is that there are women who will flock to this event thinking they will find the glue to patch whatever part of them they deem broken. We cannot blame them though, the society they live in has labeled them just that. And I’m sorry, the title/name of the event is a contradiction in itself; Broken & Beautiful Boulevard? Noooo ma’am. #ican’t. How about something along the lines of ‘Restored’, ‘Awakened’? I don’t think a fresh start will come from surrounding yourself with women who think they are also broken. I’m 100% sure the organizers mean well. I hope that at the end of they day, there is truly an impact on lives. For the spinsters … your time will come. For the separated/divorced: healing is the key and that comes from within. As Chizo said, “Happiness is a state of mind”.

7. Kenny

October 27, 2012 at 12:11 am

Been married does not guarantee happiness. If you find a good partner fine if you don’t then F*** it. As a matter of fact, most people don’t want that commitment me included i don’t want that responsibility and i don’t want to get married. This is for the sisters out there pls don’t let anybody fool you, concentrate on your career leave a good life and enjoy it why it last and don’t think your happiness lies on been married.

8. 28yrdivorcesinglemotherof1

October 27, 2012 at 12:18 am

Im a 28 year old divorcee and a single mother of 1. i must say there is nothing broken about me as i was more unhappy when i was married than now that im not. i have a very good job that takes care of myself and my child and i dont even need the support of my ex. us nigerians have the mentality that if you are not married or togther with the father of your child, you will be unhappy.

9. Gimmer

October 27, 2012 at 12:45 am

This is just sad. I hope people boycot this event. Broken cos a woman is unmarried?

10. nems

October 27, 2012 at 12:58 am

Unmarried 28= BROKEN?! #RIDICULOUS

11. rew

October 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

Iranu!!

12. R

October 27, 2012 at 1:45 am

So is 28 the “age”? Sigh.

13. itk

October 27, 2012 at 4:47 am

looks like a fun event – they could’ve opted for a better name than ‘broken’ though – not sure how 28 unmarried equates to broken –

14. Happy

October 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm

People, the caption reads above 28 , broken in this instance to me is like in the biblical sense. I read some posts and observed that most of you have a chip on your shoulders and are using strong eye to make yourselves look and sound good on BN. My advice is u better register quick and stop fooling yourselves. Go and hear what will encourage u Johor and stop acting unintelligently.

• AA

October 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm

@Happy, fyi I am a happily married woman with a baby on the way so I don’t fall into that category. You may choose to accept this generalization but any woman with sense and dignity should never accept to be called broken. If you choose to live your life as a broken woman, good for you but don’t force it on others

• olufunmilayo

October 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Speak for yourself…. you are married with a baby on the way.

• moi

October 27, 2012 at 10:18 pm

If this event will be filled with people like “Happy”, I won’t even want to touch it with a long pole.

• gimmer

October 28, 2012 at 1:10 am

Tehehehhe…actually, you are the one who indeed sounds unintelligent here. I bet you look down on all your single friends and think you are better than them just for one reason only..cos you are married. if the shoe fits, please wear it…no need to drag others to your broken women convention. bloody illiterate

15. Funmi

October 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

The “broken” title rubbed me the wrong way at first BUT I think it is important to remember that this event is referring to society’s perception of such people, as opposed to what they really are. I doubt that anyone in their right mind would call someone damaged and expect such a person to spend their time and effort to attend an event that they planned. The idea is that people or society may call you “broken” but God sees you in a different light and you should also see yourself as such. The organisers should not be maligned for their choice of words; they’re operating within a larger social context that is the reason for this whole conversation.

LOL at Happy… You’re out of order for that comment men… A woman doesn’t have to be “unintelligent”/bitter/angry/lonely/on her period to disagree with a topic such as this.

• adelegirl

October 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Well said Funmi. Well said! Agree with your comments especially your response to “Happy” who certainly didn’t sound/seem HAPPY at all, judging by the tone of her comment.

16. AA

October 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Its people like Happy that tells women they are broken. Ladies, remember that miserable people make miserable friends. Don’t listen to Happy. Live your lives and be truly blessed. Yoou are not broken but beautiful

17. Heeba

October 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

The organisers seem to mean well but the title is not Good. I am separated and very happy and will continue to remain happy wether there is a partner or not I am definitely was and is not broken.The Devil tried to Break me but it ain’t working. They should find a new title

18. Idak

October 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm

All these crap programs designed to exploit the gullibility and invulnerability of single ladies.
    Who ever came up with this concept that singleness is a crime. certainly not God.
    Even as a man i am ashamed of this level of desperation and lack of esteem i womanhood.

19. Tiki

October 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The first step to healing, to a breakthrough, is recognising the problem. I think most of you have the wrong idea. This event is not for some of us, in our late 20s or in our 30s or whatever, doing our thing with our lives and our children and being happy with or without men.

It is for people who believe that they are indeed broken.

Some of us are strong enough to withstand the mental torture that comes with people labelling you something you are not, but others need a helping hand. Nobody is telling people who fall into the mentioned categories that they are broken – I think the message being passed across is if you FEEL broken, you may want to come here.

Have a little compassion/empathy/tolerance, people. Not everybody is as strong as you.

• dami

October 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

Arrant nonsense, the poster very clearly states “are you above 28 and unmarried, are you a single mother? separated or divorced and wish your story was different…”I am about that age and single, do I wish my story was different, yes, does this mean I am broken, NO. The poster reads as though if I wish my story were different then I must indeed be broken. Total Wash. I am soooooo annoyed by this title! Sheesh!

• daniel

September 3, 2014 at 3:09 pm

i like u tiki 08067409416

20. BINTA

October 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm

bet why????????? Bella naija na wa ooooooo. hw can u even promote such a thing????? its sad. Very sad. Naija mentality. urgh

21. doctor sugar

October 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Just came back from d program. it was great. Had A lovely time

• Tokunbo

October 28, 2012 at 2:17 am

Did they hook yall up with men? LOl afi broken women na

22. Audrey

October 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

@ Doctor Sugar,tell us more.

23. Amber

October 28, 2012 at 10:05 am

To be realistic,there is no way u would go through divorce and not be broken,not the kind divorce in naija where u will just pack ur bag and go but the real divorce where u have to fight over the custody of a child and blah blah,unless u were in the relationship for a wrong reason in the first place.i am not saying u should be depressed cos of that but to be frank,there are lot of marriages out there that need help and even the non broken ones.that u r divorced once doesn’t mean u have learnt it all,it can still happen again if care is not taken.nobody loves to be in that situation.u keep learning everyday.

• olufunmilayo

October 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm

@amber, you’re a realist and the sooner divorced or separated women accept the fact that something has been broken in their life as a result of being divorced or separated they’ll still continue to live in delusion.
      Muslims are also realists, too many eligible women seeking fewer eligible men, so they’ve accepted polygamy, a solution ordained by GOD ALMIGHTY

• notaplayerhater

October 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

strongly disagree!!! divorced certainly doesnt have to break you. On the contrary, divorce is liberating for most who are going thru a marriage that is breaking their spirit! If you choose to call yourself broken, be my guest. But my religion/belief/faith teaches me that as a man/woman thinketh in his/her heart so is he/she. I am married, with a lil girl and another on the way. Im blessed to have an enabling marriage. If i didnt, im sorry, i’d leave so i can be whole enough to produce whole children….and not describe myself as broken cos there is no partner to raise the kids with me. Do you know how many more (broken) people are being produced from the so-called wholeness of a terrible marriage??? If you, Amber, feel you are broken…by all means attend! Hopefully, with the celebrity guests et all you will find the glue to patch you up. Just dont expect everyone to clamour to stand on your broken queue

24. Cynthia

October 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hmmmmmm, brokennnnn ke, I’m not trying to make myself feel good, but I’m very very happy and I’m 28, single with a good job,im always confused when people think marriage would make u happy, like everyone has bn saying, happiness is a state of mind. Pls someone should explain why I need to be married to be happy, I’m still confused.

25. Jumoke

October 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

I think the title and aim is called to question?what qualifies them to talk are the speakers psychologists?trained professionals?in the management of the aforementioned “broken” which is an interpretation of depressed”?is it a matchmaking event?is it a religious event?i am just wary of this kind of programs which smacks of extortion and really been single or unmarried or a single mother a basis of been broken?anyone could be broken……it’s only in Nigeria such is considered a problem….Infact from research married women tend to suffer depression more than single women.its only the societal pressures through programs like this that causes unnecessary feelings of been “broken”

26. pynk

October 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

they should have just called it beautiful boulevard. All this broken rubbish is feeding the stereotype society has of women in certain situations without considering whether or not those women are happy with their situations.

Bella, you should be more discerning about what you post on your site.

27. Amazeballs!

October 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

Some advice from a married woman – Marriage cannot make you happy if that is the sole reason you are going into it. If you find someone you believe you can wheather the storms of this life with, then be with them. Marriage is already a challenge in itself for you to try to make it your saving grace. Women, take your time and ensure you make the decision for YOURSELF!

28. Frida

October 30, 2012 at 2:08 am

The problem with this is the name of the event.

I have a question for those that insist you are broken or there is something broken about you as long as you have been separated or divorced. Are you currently separated from your husbands or have you been through the actual process of a divorce? If your answer is no, have several seats. I don’t think you are in the position to know who is broken and who is not. Your marriage might be broken, just like any other kind of relationship with family or friends; it is your choice to let that break you as a person. A broken marriage does not equate a broken person. Should one learn from past experiences? Absolutely. That is the key; take the knowledge you’ve got, dust yourself off and get on with your life. Don’t let anyone define who you are by what you’ve been through. #iamjusaying. I am 34, a divorced and a single mother of a precious angel.

If this program helped some women out there, great! But the bottom line is as women we need to rise above these ridiculous labels. I am yet to see anyone call a divorced man a broken man.

29. sdkt

October 30, 2012 at 3:43 am

Why broken, that is a negative.why the age 28.These are the culturally or societal issues that pressurize most young women into marriages made in hell.By the way nothing, husband nor children, or money gurantees your happiness. You take happiness into the relationship. pls.

30. B

November 1, 2012 at 1:44 am

This is the most stupid shit EVER! Nigeria and their fake mentality disgusts me. My GOSH! So what will you be discussing with your so called speakers and agents? Life isnt that bad, I have been through more than a divorce even as unmarried, I am 34 BTW and beautiful and I was down for the due time its life its wired that way except you are not human but it NEVER took over me to look at myself as broken. I accepted my own faults and learnt where I should. Go at your own risk and live insecure people looking to find significance for their broken selves to trample on people they consider beneath them, room to filter gossip of your already filtered gist in Lagos. YUCK . Dear sisters never play victim it sucks, you are beautiful and stronger than you imagine, cry, crack, break if you must, IT SI PERFECTLY NORMAL but PLEASE gather yourselves and move on. You plaay victim at your own perilous peril, no one can make you happy except you and the peace that comes from God in his infinite grace. Find yourself and find him not with BROKEN UNHAPPILY MARRIED HYPOCRITES! If you are above 28……what nonsense, How about they mend their lives to perfection.

31. B

November 1, 2012 at 1:50 am

This is how they pressure people into meeting up to dumb societal expectations, leading them to foolish decisions in the name of unordained marriages by God, celebrated in churches or mosques and magnanimous reception parties afterwards and published on mediums like BN. The worst person to lie to is yourself.

32. miss T

November 1, 2012 at 7:25 am

Above 28 and single now equals broken? Rubbish!