News

How Far Will I Go “To Serve Nigeria With All My Strength”? – Watch Ishaya Bako’s Short Film

BellaNaija.com

Some things that are experienced in Nigeria are unbelievable… but true. This short film showcases some of the problems that abound in Nigeria. We strongly believe that the change we desire in Nigeria begins with each of us. If we diligently do our work, we’d be a step closer towards becoming a stronger entity as a nation.

To Serve Nigeria With All My Strength is one of the winning entries at the recently concluded Afrinolly short film competition. The story was written by Alexandra Kure’ave Hul and the film was directed by Ishaya Bako and produced by Bem Pever

Read a short synopsis of the film:
Mrs. Haruna is a public servant with responsibility to issue call up letters to youth corpers. She is rumored to demand and collect bribes. When several graduates, who received their call up letters late and die in a late evening car accident whilst heading out of state to meet the camping dateline. Mrs. Haruna’s conduct is called to question in a disciplinary proceeding that evaluates if her actions adhered to the service code of conduct or contributed in any way to the tragedy.

Watch it here:

1. Ngozi

March 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I believe that this should have won the prize! A strong message is in this video!!

Atoke

March 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

It did!

• WIse One

March 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm

BEAUTIFULLY ACTED

2. Joan

March 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This really got to me o smh. I didn’t get a chance to do NYSC (never even collected my call-up letter) because I left Naija just as everyone else was going to camp.
    But I still remember all the money I had to cough out to complete my clearance in school and how many days it took for those admin office people to release my transcript. I had to pay the guy just to get him to type mine…on a typewriter…in 2008! Then of course I had to mail it with my own money! Backwardness will not kill out people o.
    This happens everyday in so many schools across the nation. It’s just a sad situation. RIP to those who lost their lives as a result of one person’s greed and laziness! 🙁

3. Somebody

March 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hmmmmm this actually broke my heart, because it is sooo true what graduates go through in the hands of NysC officials. Rip to the poor graduates, very heart wrenching.

4. nan

March 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm

this is so true……………. its a pity!!! decadence of 9ja!!

5. mcclaren michael

March 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm

ama lov dis video

6. tomeloma

March 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

With a better sound quality…this short film should have won the competition, the message is something I can related to and it is so unfortunate that it is those junior civil servants and junior academic staff that frustrated me most back when I was in the university.

7. Mama Put

March 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Wow! Can’t believe this happened? Jeeves! RIP to the 18.

8. JADE

March 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I sooooooooooooooooooooo much prefer this to the ‘Dara ju ” video that won, very apt

9. Cali

March 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’m impressed by the plot and acting… I love the cute naija accent, wish I grew up there sometimes.. Feel like I missed out on a lot

10. ella

March 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Ha! I cannot beleive that i cried while watching this video! Nigeria is in trouble!!!!We are in trouble and i feel sooo helpless! The odds are a lot. What can we do??? what can we do?
    This just brought back sad sad memories of the ordeal i had to go through to get my call up letter in UNIPORT 2010 Batch B.I went to school for three consecutive days and parted with almost 5thousand naira,sustained multiple foot injuries and escaped a stampede…all to get our call up letter.People fainted…kai! my heart is breaking for this country….will things ever get better?

11. Loversonly

March 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Very sad, very sad indeed! What breaks my heart the most is that crap like this will happen again and again. I don’t see any hope or things changing in nigeria anytime soon God take control

12. R

March 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm

My God 🙁 cried
    Most civil servants and even in the private sector (receptionists) treat people like crap. Any mall power they have, they just use to frustrate others.
    Tragic that lives were lost. Hope the message spreads to everyone, don’t act like you’re God just because you’re placed in a position of power. Do what you were placed there for and don’t make others’ lives miserable.

Huge disregard for people. See how one of the students spoke up at the start and she called him rude and tried using that as an excuse. As unpleasant as I may be being disrespected, that is hardly an excuse to not do your job. You were not herd to teach other people’s children manners.

On the issue of NYSC posting, I hear people are still being posted to areas of unrest. That is just pure wickedness, if true. Human lives must be treated with respect, not recklessly

13. Myne Whitman

March 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I like this on putting a spotlight on the average Nigerian corrupt bureaucrat. It’s not only oga at the top that chop money.

14. ukay

March 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Yes o, funny enough this is how they look, they get to do their jobs just like once in a year but yet when its time, they act like they are doing the public service for free. They sit in their crammed little office and frustrate students. Wish they are really panels like this and it works. This movie deserves an award.

15. Teddy Bear

March 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm

WOW! Beautiful film.

16. taiwo

March 15, 2013 at 6:18 pm

love it!!

17. Na wa

March 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Thanks for this clip @ Bellanaija.A lot is happening and I think people should make good use of their bb phones other than ‘pinging’.This will go a long way in a country with few CCTV cameras

18. Bootangs

March 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Isn’t it ironic that the soundtrack used at the end is about the unrest in Jos, located in the very same state, governed by that fat-lipped Gov. jang who recommended that NYSC be extended to 2 years! This film is soooo on point. Nothing exaggerated. I keep saying we deserve the leadership we get. When the thing pain us youth very well, we will know it is time to extract this poison called corruption by ALL means necessary. Not trying to be a rabblerouser but it is the only way…..Shikena!

19. Ides of March

March 16, 2013 at 6:11 am

It’s time to name and shame these elements in our society that are making our lives miserable! I agree, it’s time for citizen journalists to make their voices heard, gather evidence, document injustice until the voices are so loud no one can’t ignore them anymore!

20. dee

March 16, 2013 at 8:31 am

wow!! i cried so much watching this especially when i saw d last person that wanted to enter the car was the pregnant woman.
    This video is very accurate.. no exaggeration. This exactly how they are , maybe even worse.
    🙁
    to think 18 graduates actually died on their way to taraba… chei may their souls Rest In Peace

21. iba

March 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

May the sould of the departed rest in peace. Beautiful film that has potrayed the rot in the civil service in Nigeria. Slow and backward in most cases. Unwilling to do the job they are paid to do until money is recieved. May God help us. I didnt have issues with collecting my call up letter but i paid money so many times anytime i asked for a transcript. I went around moving files from student affairs to my department so things could move very quickly. i remember buying malt or was it recharge card for the typist. shakes head. The question i always ask myself is why do we have to wait a day or days before NYSC Camp opening before the call up letters are issued out?

22. GreenDiamond

March 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm

sooo sadddd!! kia so it really happd sigh.. may God bless the ones who went through this experience.

23. D Fairy GodSister

March 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I know what I went through before I got my call-up letter, this video doesn’t even touch the half of it! Nigeria is in trouble..

24. tolulope

March 17, 2013 at 9:42 pm

this is really inspiring. when u go through stuffs u shouldn’t with people who play God, try to get evidence!. God bless those who shot this.

25. dammylee

March 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Nice video. The guy with the camera @2.12 was in the Nigerian idol season 3 n got eliminated in top 30. Nice you are also into acting as well. More grease to your elbow. Its well with naija.

26. Killian Red

March 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Maybe it’s just me but…dis woman is at least 45 years or so ke? And the corpers are prolly in their 20s. So na 1 45 year old woman vs at least 10-15 20 year old corpers? All that time she was doing iyanga, dem no fit rush am collect the letters? They don’t have to harm her, just deploy citizen justice and collect what is rightfully theirs. I did not see any other official there so why not take matters into their own hands? They should even tape the whole thing to support a defense of justification against bureaucratic oppression, fraud/attempted fraud and abuse of power. Chikena!

27. naymarie

March 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I hope the President of FRN has seen this video? My NYSC experience is just simillar. Can’ tever forget.

28. wow wow wow

March 5, 2014 at 3:58 am

Like seriously!! This was so nicely acted. Smooth delivery that I forgot they were acting. Oh may God bless dis actors. Heard d film came 3rd. Chai anyway to me, it deserved first. God bless naija