News

“Once Purity Is A Year Old, Labour Room Here I Come Again” | Nollywood Actress Mercy Johnson Dishes on Motherhood & Hollywood

BellaNaija Exclusive Mercy Johnson Prince Odi Tradional Wedding Special - October 2011 - BellaNaija 039

Since Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson became a mum, she’s been on hiatus focusing  on motherhood. But, it seems she won’t be away too long.

So, while we faithfully await her re-emergence, the Africa Magic crew decided to get us a little sustenance for the time being. In an interview with them, the star dished a little bit about motherhood, family life and an ‘upcoming reality TV show?’ Here’s what she said.

We haven’t heard from you since you’ve had a baby, how is motherhood treating you?
Motherhood is great, it’s so magical and special. Taking care of my child and spending time with her is inexplicable and fun.

Any plans to have any more children in the future?
Yes of course, once Purity is a year old, labour room here I come again.

You’ve been abroad for a while, do you have any plans to take over Hollywood?
I don’t live abroad, I’m a Nigerian based in Naija. I only went to the US to have my baby.

There’s a rumour that you have a reality show coming up, is it true?
I love the Hollywood dream too but I hope and wish we could bring Hollywood home to Nigeria but, there’s no reality show for me unless Africa Magic is offering me one. My husband certainly won’t buy into it because he is too private. So what’s a reality show about Mercy Johnson Okojie going to be like without him?

Tell us a bit about who Mercy is when she’s not on our screens?
I am just a girl next door, actually, woman next door. I’m calm, humble, hard working and positive about everything life has to offer.

To read the full Africa Magic interview, {click here}

I wonder what a reality TV show with Mercy Johnson would be like. Well, I guess we’ll never, or will we? Either way, we wish Mercy Johnson the best in her future endeavours and hope to see her in new roles on our screens sooner than later.

Share your thoughts!

Photo Credit: BellaNaija

1. ebony

June 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I just love her more for dat comment about reality show without hubby

2. Hurperyermie

June 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Hiiiiiiiiii sweetie missed u, abeg wait make purity reach 2 years o one year too near

3. Nene

June 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm

its very unfortunate that we as nigerians feel that we have to leave the country to give birth to our children in the US or UK before returning home…That to me is insulting.

• lizzy

June 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm

It is only insulting to the government. If there was a better health care system maybe then we could complain. If someone has the money to go give birth outside the country then why not. There are asians, Europeans and other people who give birth in the states. Its the same reason some people give birth at private hospitals rather than public hospitals. Please we should stop judging people and learn to respect the next person. Are you saying if you had the opportunity to do the same you wont.

• Rukky

June 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Okay na because u no know wetin dey happen. We have to leave o, please pregnant women go born for outside if you can, make NEPA no go take light as doctor dey shout push!!!! that’s one of a myraid of issues sha

• errmmm

June 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Well when it’s your turn then have yours in Nigeria. I think every one is entitled to go to have their baby anywhere they choose. Even here in the UK, you have the option of Midwifery led birthing Unit (where you give birth the natural way with Midwives to help you) or Delivery ward (where there is machines and where you get your Epidural and other pain relief). Either way, as a woman who is having a baby, you make a decision best on what you feel is suitable for you. I for one when I was pregnant, even here in the UK, I wasn’t happy with the services of a particular midwife/centre and I moved! No one banged on about it being insulting to the Centre’s health service! I wasn’t happy with their service and I wanted peace of mind! And so I went to a place I felt I had peace of mind! No where is service is perfect, UK / US! A lovely friend of mine died @ 20 weeks pregnant in a hospital in Canada because of complications that was missed and thought was unimportant during a random check! These things are known to happen. The important thing is ask God for safe delivery and go where you are happy to go and have your baby!..

• errmmm

June 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm

*routine check***
      not random check** silly computer – how can routine be translated to random 🙁

• CK

June 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm

it is insulting, but how can you blame the? the benefits are countless and more obvious when you check the mortality rate.its the job of the government to make home more welcoming to us, but in our case it seems they are purposely punishing those who want to make something out of our dear country

• colourfulbutterfly

June 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm

– Puh-lease!
      I want my kids to have other passports, so they don’t have to go through [email protected] any immigration point.
      It also reduces my visits to several embassies.
      That’s all!

• Amaka

June 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

Why not? Their future has to be established and its your duty as a parent to do that. Given the opportunity, you should not waste a second!

4. Myne Whitman

June 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I Know she’s not Baby Oku but after that, I would like to see a reality show with MJ 🙂

5. Toolz ni

June 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm

@nene…may you never have any reason to go through childbirth loss or intrapartum complications in the hands of naija doctors IJN,Amen..Not all Nigerian doctors are bad but the system is getting so bad now that most doctors are just after that name and money.If you see the caliber of students they admit into medical school,u go fear for ur country.I’m not saying US doctors are perfect but if you go to a hospital and you know the doctor and the nurses that would attend to you know what they are doing(not just any medical officer that just graduated that probably ‘s not even done vaginal exam or rectal exam on a patient let alone done any delivery or CS on a patient),then u might want to think twice. If you can afford having your baby outside the country( and can pay,not taking advantage of the MEDICAID system meant for people that are really less privileged like some Nigerians do just in the name of getting blue passport and just to feel among), then go for it.

• Alero

June 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

God bless u for this comment. Every year, our higher institutions churn out terrible graduates called DOCTORS. Not generalizing though, we still have some good Doctors; but trust me, pray not not to have complications. You would be the one to use public address system to advise Nigerians to travel out even for medical attention,if it is to Chad…:p

6. KEKEM

June 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm

NICE ONE MERCY,LABOUR ROOM HERE I COME TOO O ,

7. jane

June 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm

this why i love mercy among others.SHE dosesnt fake life,her life is easy,simple,and beautiful i wish u the best dear,and God will continue to bless ur marriage,purity and husband

• vikky

June 13, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Yh She seems like a well grounded and contented actress who is not an attention seeker like some of the other actresses known for every wk photo shoot rather than their talent.

8. me

June 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Please, you can have your own child any were you wish, how about saying something on bella nija that isn’t bitter, negative or insulting. Well done MJ

9. wendu

June 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

any day any time Mercy u ar my favorite diva on screen! i luv u coz u ar a woman wth a kind hrt indeed. all d best n keep d good wrk going luv u loads “hugs”

10. CK

June 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

11. AA

June 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Dude/lady, have your baby in naija so it would be less insulting. As for me, I would have lost my baby if I had him in naija due to complications. I am glad I had my baby abroad and in the mighty name of Jesus, I will do it again until this country gets her act together. Simple!

12. Chicadimples

June 13, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Lovely lovely Mercy Johnson!
    I like u jare, carry go!

13. nene

June 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

high five mercy johnson! very normal and down to earth. no airs whatsoever!

14. olu

June 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm

insulting indeed. is it your money?

15. G'IYAZ

June 14, 2013 at 8:14 am

Biko! I prefer American doctors than Nigerian doctors! The Americans treat patients well than the Quack Nigerian docs we have here!!

16. bunmi

June 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

I totally support having ur baby anywhere u so wish as long as u can afford it. Mercy i jst love u.

17. ZOZO

June 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Nene, such a bitter Woman/ Girl/Man/Boy or whatever, everything about you resonates bitterness and you are too judgemental and make what is not an issue become a very big issue. while moving away from the real subject of discussion. You don’t have to answer to every topic that is written, read and move away. You radiate bitterness, learn to appreciate and encourage people. You can criticize objectively. Don’t turn it to a quarrel of something personal. Its not beans to buy ticket and if you can afford it, then why not? Doesn’t mean people don’t have children in Nigeria either. God does it on every side.

18. pynk

June 14, 2013 at 12:58 pm

So long as she paid her hospital bills in Yankee, i dont see the problem.

19. Chyke

June 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Mrs Alaba Movies. *walks away*

20. cornelia johnson

November 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Mummy thank u 4 taking of purity my sis 4 meoooo, I can’t wait 2 hv anoda kid bros or sis, bt rememba 2 extend my greetings 2 ur one and only husband including purity, thanks lv u mum

21. shasha

November 25, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Mercy darling,you’re just the best among all. . I so much adore you and as for you nene you really deserve a slap but thank your jah m not there with you.