Music

New Music: Trybe Records Presents Rukus – I Think I’m Trayvon

rukus4

Fresh off his arrival in the US from Nigeria, Trybe Records lyricist Rukus took a break from his US tour to record this thought-provoking tribute to Trayvon Martin entitled “I Think I’m Trayvon”. The Nigerian rapper touches on racism and profiling in a unique fashion with each verse as he sheds a different perspective on the brutal slaying of 17 year old Martin and the subsequent acquittal of George Zimmerman. Rukus performs in Chicago on August 31st at The Shrine, then the Nigerian Entertainment Awards in New York before returning to Nigeria in September.

Enjoy!

Play Rukus – I Think I’m Trayvon
[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Rukus_I-Think-Im-Trayvon_BellaNaija.com_.mp3]
Download

1. Too many hypocrites!!!

July 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm

This pisses the heck out of me off!!! I don’t see Nigerian Artist writing songs about the children that were brutally murdered in the North… But you can write about Trayvon Martin. Ewo lo kan e???? How many Trayvon Martins do we have every day in Nigeria. People minding their own business in their house and they get killed. What are we doing about it in Nigeria??? How about the BOKO HARAM terorizing Naija. Why don’t you write a song about that. WE are the biggest hypocrites!!! Please lets fix our own problem before we start talking about another Nation. At lease in the US you can take him to court. In Nigeria, you won’t even find the person. Not to talk of taking him to court. Please stop trying to make money of this poor child’s demise. May God forgive you. Let Americans fix their own issue. NIgeira has a big “olumo rock” in our own eyes, yet we want to remove the speck from America’s eyes. Nonesense!!!

• jane

July 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm

relax..this guy is based in the US, he grew up there so this issue is relevant to him as I would think he identifies as black American as well.
      You talk as if nobody ever sings about Nigeria. There are more than enough songs about our issues. Your comment is going to add to the numerous ones that are already out there. Word of advice, stop complaining and DO something to make the change.

• sommy

July 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

gbam! i second that.. Nigerians live in the US too.. it could have been anybody

• k

July 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Relax Rukus grew up in America! so calm yo ass down why you so bloody thirsty

• Rukus

July 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I usually don’t comment on my own material, but I decided to take a minute out of my time to acknowledge your ignorance. If you go thru the catalog of music I’ve made over the past 5 years I would say I’m one of the few rappers that consistently makes material addressing issues both in Nigeria and in the US involving children, poverty, and injustice in general. Do you buy/support that material, or do you just want to gyrate like most Nigerians? Being a musician does not require me to be a spokesperson on topics unbeknownst to me; rather it gives me a vehicle of expression for speaking on things I can personally relate to. With that being said, although I live in Lagos, I spent a greater portion of my life in the US and experienced the same kind of racism/bias that ultimately led to Trayvon Martin’s death and I didn’t hear a song that expressed my personal sentiments on the issue. I think MI did a phenomenal job expressing people’s sentiments about the ALU4 via song which is why I didn’t feel the need to make a song repeating the same message. I’d also challenge you to find the nickel or kobo that I’m making off of Trayvon Martin. I’m not selling the song or distributing CDs.
      The biggest hypocrites are those with fingers that are quick to type, but hands that are slow to action in contributing to Nigeria’s betterment; mouths that are quick to spew criticism, but offer no sustainable solutions to the problems at hand. At the end of the day we only know our own hearts…I sleep well.
      -ruk

• OmoMakun

July 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Give yourself a pat on the back…well said bro!

2. nnn

July 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm

LOOOOL. Hian

3. kiki

July 23, 2013 at 5:31 pm

lmfao!

4. Concerned_Boyfriend

July 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Too Many Hypocrite got OWNED!! ..LOL!

5. Too many hypocrites!!!

July 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Yes, he grew up in the states. I know that! The last I checked, this topic was on Bella Naija not Bella America? Are you really Trayvon? The plight of Nigerians in America is not the same as African Americans. For better or worse. I work on change in the states for Nigeria thats why I can talk, and thats why I take it quite personal. Nigerians are too complacent ! Please, let Trayvon’s soul rest in peace. We should open our mind to hear truth. My point is lets focus on our Nation. All talk and no action is taking us nowhere.

• zsa zsa

July 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm

You said, “The plight of Nigerians in America is not the same as African Americans”

Haba, this is not true. While i commend the work for change you say you are doing for Nigeria and i understand your frustration with Nigerians and the lack of action, your tone was not necessary.
      When you are in the US or any other country in the western hemisphere YOU ARE BLACK, not nigerian black, american black or any other black just black. We get painted with the same brush most times. I can’t count how many times i’ve been stared at when i walk into a Dr’s office or nail salon because in those cases i looked different from everyone else in there. My nigerian cousin has lost count of how many times she’s been asked by the cashier if she would be paying for her groceries with food stamps, my uncle and naija friends who work in the IT industry in silicon valley have all had their share of encounters with law enforcement while cruising in their flashy cars they bought with their hard earned money, not that they broke any laws and they were not given any valid reason for being pulled over…but we know how that goes. So pls do not say nigerians in america do not face the same issues, if Rukus was inspired by this unfortunate incident let us not discourage him from sharing his thoughts through music.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm

“The last I checked, this topic was on Bella Naija not Bella America”. Well, then you should rail at BellaNaija for even posting the song in the first place. And while you’re at it, you should ask them to remove all previous posts they’ve done on Nelson Mandela’s illness, the Royal Wedding, Michelle & Barak Obama, William & Kate’s new baby, all those Ghanaian celebrities who’s names I can’t recall individually… Just make your request known so they can pare down their content to just stories from Nigeria about Nigerians.

Because the last I checked, Rukus is Nigerian and if Iyanya can sing a song about some Ghanaian girl’s waist (come to think of it, why hasn’t anyone informed him yet that he should be singing about more socially relevant issues? I mean the insensitivity of that man!), a song that you’ve probably danced to (and if you haven’t danced to that one, you’ve probably hit the floor to the melodious beat of “Pakurumo”)… well then, Rukus can darn well sing about some innocent young man dying in a racially motivated attack.

You see, I too also detest unnecessary hypocrisy.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 23, 2013 at 10:18 pm

And that Iyanya sef… the very least he could have done was to offer his medicine to some Naija girl instead of Yvonne. Didn’t he see enough Adas & Titis to donate it to? TSK TSK!!

• jinkelele