Music

“You Can Never Go Wrong With Real Estate” | African Music Star 2Face Idibia Talks Going Back to School, Marriage, Not being a Role Model & More

Amstel Malta Campus Connect Tour with 2Face - May 2013 - BellaNaija004

Over the past few weeks, the man commonly referred to as a ‘contemporary Nigerian music legend’, 2Face Idibia has been on tour. Having concluded his university campus tour, he went off to the USA for some select shows out there and then he’ll perform in the UK before he ends his sojourn in other African countries.

So, it’s safe to say that 2Face is a very busy man right now. Nonethless, he was able to drop by for an interview with Sam Umukoro, where 2Face Idibia caught us up with what has been going on with him since his fairy tale wedding with Annie Idibia.

Here’s an excerpt from their discussion {click here to read the full interview}

On the Nigerian Music Industry of Today
The industry is ripe, a lot of things are happening, many people are getting involved now, and many are interested in artist management now than some years ago. We have more entertainment lawyers, more promoters, and more people that are interested in music business now than some years ago. So the industry is growing.

The quality of music and videos and the sound have tremendously improved. The talent has always been there, but these days you find that it is more of packaging than talent. Although, even with talent, you still need to package the product, but it is more of packaging now. I listen to a lot of music these days and you find that it just a few of the artistes today who actually have talent for music, majority is just packaging. But the thing is, entertainment is about entertainment, you know, it’s allowed. Understand what I’m saying?

One thing about entertainment, music especially is that beyond talent, which you definitely need, you also need good management, good character. A lot involves making that talent work.

On the qualities he cherishes most about his wife, Annie
I have known her for a long time and for me she has a gentle heart, a good heart and that was the major quality that attracted me to her.

On 2Face staying faithful in his marriage
The day I decided to go public was the day I gave my privacy away. It’s only natural – if you put yourself out there – that people are going to say different stuff, even when it’s not true. You laugh if you hear the funny ones; you are surprised when you hear the malicious and wicked ones. But what people think about you is none of your business, it’s their business. So, na their headache if dem dey worry. I just look at it and say, ‘okay oh, na you be the police na’ (laughing). I just try my best to be a good person, you know.

2face

On Being a Role Model
If they say I’m not a role model, so be it. Let them not follow my footsteps. Let’s leave it like that.

I’m not a role model. I’m just a guy that’s living his life. I’m not forcing anybody to do anything, so you if you feel you want to follow my footsteps, it’s your choice. But I’m not going to apologize for the choices I have made. I’m not going to apologize for accepting my responsibility, saying yes, it happened when it happened and I’m not going to run away from it. I didn’t tell anybody I was a role model in the first place, so, if anyone says I’m not a role model, it’s their opinion. Let them live their own clean life. Let me live my own ‘nonsense’ life.

On Being a Father
It’s not easy. Sometimes, it is painful, especially when you don’t get to see them as often as you would wish to because of work. Today I’m here, tomorrow, I’m there, sometimes for weeks, months; plus the fact that they have different moms… I didn’t plan for it this way, but it happened and I have accepted it, no shaking. My plan was to have a wife and then have children. Something happened along the line, but I didn’t run away from it.

On his business endeavours outside of music
The funny thing is [I am involved in] everything, but I’ll just say real estate. Somehow you can never go wrong with real estate, man.

On going back to school to study Law
Yes, I want to do that. I can’t say when exactly, maybe in the next two or three years? But I’m definitely going to do that.

Photo Credit: BellaNaija | SamUmukoro

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them. Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. Lami

July 2, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I think its a good choice for him to go back to school! its about time..
    Please visit http://www.iamfar.com today!

2. The Original Beebee

July 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm

First too comment..

Please visit samumukoro for the full interview..

Thanks.

The Orginal Beebee

3. The Original Beebee

July 2, 2013 at 2:02 pm

to*

4. Tpepper

July 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm

We love you darling, blights and all……..

5. jenny

July 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Never. Knowing someone for a long time, years, and the person being there for you through thick and thin is like a bond already formed that is hard to break and especially if the person has a good heart gentle heart as stated by 2face about Annie.

6. jenny

July 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Never “You Can Never Go Wrong With Real Estate”.

7. funmi

July 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I simply love his sense of responsibility. He dint shy away and deny being responsible. hmmm shaa ooo he neatly dodge d question of faithfulness. hahahahahahah

• Idak

July 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

using condoms would have shown a greater sense of responsibility.

8. jenny

July 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

That is the advantage Annie had over the others and of course they have similar goals, dreams and common friends. She is obviously from a good background too and she has being there for him all this years before he became known to the majority and he his indebted to her, that will help keep the love between them strong. All the best to you two.
    go back to school too oh 2face haha

9. Naveah

July 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I have always loved Tuface and how he carries himself without arrogance, a Man Of The People type of guy. I don’t know if I agree with his because explanation for all the multiple children and baby mamas in which he says “the fact that they have different moms… I didn’t plan for it this way, but it happened”. Because in today’s day and age, they are many ways to prevent pregnancies. IF you get a woman pregnant, IF a woman allows herself to be impregnated, you want it. I have loved the fact that he makes sure all his children know each other, he takes care of them and the mamas. This is all that the man is required to do and he is making the best out of the situation which is more than can be said for some men who only have children with one woman.

Question though and no shade, did he finish college? I’m wondering due to the talk about going to law school. I always thought he was a high school drop out. ALL THE BEST, 2baba. I love your CAN DO spirit.

• tr

July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

He said he wants to go back to school to study law not “go back to law school”.

• Naveah

July 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm

good looking out, thanks!

• slice

July 3, 2013 at 2:03 pm

In naija and the u.k., u go straight to uni to study law for five years and do another two years of law school. Unlike the u.s where u do college first before starting on ur law track. I’ thinking it’s possible u’re used to the u.s system and wondering how he wld go to law school without college first. Or maybe u’re thinking of sthg else…..

10. billionaire in grace

July 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I like 2face he is my favourite nigerian artist…keep the good work man

11. tayo

July 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm

always my favourite artist…God bless wateva u lay ur hands on (amen)

12. isreal

July 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

yes 2face i totally agree with u let them go and live their clean life thank God for His mercies and grace. when a lady marries sm1 older than her dey wld say bcos of money, they expect her to die in an abusive relatnshp wia d guy collects money 4rm her and chase women arrd.

13. YEMI

July 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

he still didnt answer the question on if he will stay faithful now his married. lemme answer it 4 him….emmm dont think so loooll

14. Ready

July 2, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hmm…So Sam aint ask him about the car he collected for his wedding? -__-

15. loveth O.

July 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm

kk

16. Simirasbad

July 2, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Notice how he didn’t answer the being ‘faithful in marriage ‘ question? Looooollll

• Ib

July 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm

My dear i thought i was the only one that saw that o.loool…At least he isnt a hypocrite…

17. Kush

July 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Dis 2face self na weerey

18. Gistyinka Blog

July 2, 2013 at 7:59 pm

truly role model..2baba… http://www.gistyinka.com

19. milly

July 2, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Tu ba ba u are the Man! You took responsibility for your actions that is being responsible, the hyprocrite role model Nigerian Man would have murdered over a 100 babies by D&C before they decide to settle down. So my dear you are overly responsible as far as I am concerned.

20. darry

July 3, 2013 at 12:31 am

2face is a gem! He’s got style and he’s effortlessly sexy.. check this out http://www.plushstyles.blogspot.co.uk

21. Estelle

July 3, 2013 at 6:52 am

Omg how can you ask if he plans to b faithful,what do u expect daaaaa

22. Priscy

July 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

2face no dey form…he is so real. He said he is not a role model for anybody but he should try to be a role model if only for his kids

23. Chiomski

July 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

Tu Baba! I love u roll on the floor! “Nobody holy pass” o. No mind the amebos o, let their papa n mama be their role model o jare, who cares! Anyhow u present, just know I love you n Annie n ur babies. Atleast u aint a coward that denies paternity. Pls ensure u go get that Law degree. You too make sense bro, believe me u do

24. Aderonke

July 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love his answer on his kids -“it’s not easy. Sometimes, it is painful, especially when you don’t get to see them as often as you would wish to because of work. Today I’m here, tomorrow, I’m there, sometimes for weeks, months; plus the fact that they have different moms… I didn’t plan for it this way, but it happened and I have accepted it, no shaking. My plan was to have a wife and then have children. Something happened along the line, but I didn’t run away from it.”

Well said Tuface, We are make mistakes but the most important thing is for us to take responsibility and not to fall into such mistakes again! Well done Tubaba, keep working at being the best dad u can ever be. it”s far more worthy than anything else.
    At the faithfulness question…looool May God help us all

25. Anonymous

July 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm

To each his own. We all have our issues, just that because he is a celebrity, his mistakes are in the public eye and everyone gets to condemn. On another note, the going back to school part is goodness.

26. Grace

July 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm

My man:)

27. Me

July 3, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Tu baba! I love you jare

28. Adedoyin

July 5, 2013 at 6:25 am

He is still one of my best Nigerian artiste…I love the part that he is still interested in going back to school……’@Slice, just for record purposes, Law schools in Nigeria isnt two years. Its barely a year.