News

It’s Cute & I Want it! Does it Matter That It’s “Okrika”?

Resold Clothes - BellaNaija - July2013I was watching the Style TV station last night and an advert came on about resold clothes. It’s titled ‘Resale Royalty’ and it had a lot of women, and even some men, queuing to get a hold of pre-owned items. Even though the items ranged from Chanel and Gucci, to Prada and Vivienne Westwood, I couldn’t help but ask myself if it was something I would do? Would I be willing to buy any item that I know is being resold? For me, the puzzling part about buying resold items is the fact that someone else has used it, especially when it comes to resold clothes.

When you buy a resold piece of clothing what does it mean? Is it that the former life of the piece is wiped away and a new one is created once you pay for its ownership? Are pieces of clothing like money, taking the shape of whomever is handling it?

In the case of getting hand-me-downs from siblings, your mother/father etc it’s okay because you know where it is coming from. Heck you have probably washed it so often you have probably earned it. But talking about shoes, hats, jackets, shirts, trousers, gloves and all that you can find in a resale store, is it okay to still buy them knowing their history?

As the advert went on throwing around phrases like ‘One woman’s has-been is another woman’s must-have’, my mind wandered to my University days where some girls specialized in borrowing clothes. Back then, it was basically ‘normal’ for your friends to come and raid your wardrobe saying things like ‘Please now, you know I will return it’ or ‘my clothes are still wet, don’t worry I will soon be back from class’. Does this stem from the same root with resold clothes. They belong to someone else and still you are willing to wear it. Is it okay just because you know the person you are collecting the clothes from?

If you are buying resold clothes It’s not like there is a bio page attached to the item; it’s just you, that particular piece of clothing and the decision you still haven’t made about if you are willing to take it home as your own. It’s kind of like adopting a puppy; you have no idea what its parents were like, if he is the child of street dogs or from a royal family of dogs. All you know is that from the moment you saw those bright brown eyes and its curly fur, you just had to have it.

But is ‘wanting’ enough? I’m trying to understand if it is okay for you to indulge in buying resold clothes knowing that they were previously owned by someone else?

When I brought this question to my neighbor she explained that ‘Okrika’ was her middle name. She buys clothes irrespective of where they have been, who has worn them or where they are being sold now. As long as they go through her process of washing them twice with Ariel and being soaked in treated water, she’s good. “Most times the clothes are still in good condition and I always check them out before I buy. I stretch them, check them against natural light…just because I want to buy ‘2nd hand’ clothes doesn’t mean I should be cheated.

I laughed inside remembering the time I caught my cousin knee deep in ‘Okrika’ clothes in Yaba. She denied and denied, but we both knew what she was doing there. So many ladies would rather donate their left arm than be caught buying ‘Okrika’ clothes but have no problem if the clothes are washed,  ironed, scented, packaged and calling their names from a  hanger in a fancy store. Isn’t that the same thing but in different locations? Does a change in location change the grade of resold clothes?

Her sister Aunty Patience, on the other hand, would not have that at all. According to her “If I am paying for it, then I should have the luxury of wearing it first. How would I in my right senses buy something that someone else threw away? They know why they threw it away and I am not ready to discover what that reason is.

Understandably, the clothes are sold at a lesser rate and some stores don’t take in clothes for resale unless they’re still in great condition to last a while, but would you still buy them? Would you ignore the pre-owners signature on them and still buy the item and love it like it were your own? What qualities do you even look for in the case of buying clothes that are being resold? What would you do if you realize the pre-owner wasn’t as hygienic as you’d hoped?

Please share your thoughts on this issue.

Photo Credit: Slate.com

1. hmm

July 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Lol great article…..I think you mean ‘chanel’ Jennifer……people are different, do what suits you and what you can afford…..personally though I cant wear a pre owned item..cos like you i always think of where it has been , who has worn it and so on whiche ends up discouraging me….The only pre owned stuff i dont mind buying is a scarf

• uhmm

July 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm

she did spell “chanel” correctly, darling

• Oma

July 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm

It must have been edited, darling

• hmm

July 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thanks …but I was actually right ..she has made the correction that is why you think so…

• DREAL

July 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm

i taya for you, darling uhmm

2. DA

July 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Not all “Okrika ” are worn clothes though, some are sold due to factory errors, in the actual sense they are still very new… In the real sense sef okrika isn’t even as cheap as people think. In my mother’s word” cut ur coat according to ur material” not even ur size anymore!

• Chic

July 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Very true

• anonymous

July 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I concur…I am someone people see as a wealthy and high maintenance lady. They dont realise that the clothes and shoes I wear are okrika or from “charity shops” as they call it here in jand…na so I just dey look them as they go into boutiques and so called brand named store to buy things worth 25 and 50 pounds and more and I go buy the same thing for less in a thrift or charity shop…it saves me a lot of money…recently i got about 12 items of clothing for less than 30 pounds

• honey A

July 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm

give examples of stores please i never find what i like in the ones i go.

• SPARKLES

December 11, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH U, I GREW UP NOT HAVING TOO MANY CLOTHES BUT WHEN I DISCOVERED OKRIKA, IT WAS HEAVENLY! I DON T GET TO BREAK THE BANK FOR HOW I WANTED TO LOOK AND WHEN I SAY LOOK, I MEAN CLASSY. O-K” IN SHORT IS VERY GOOD OH. JUST ANOINT, PRAY AND WASH WELL AND U OWN D MILLION BUCKS CLOTHE!

3. koko

July 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

i have no problem with used cloths becos i have in the past bought some very vintage jackets nd dresses in okirika…ive bought {ok] and i aint ashamed about it

4. ebony

July 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

i used to buy them (clothes) when i was a student and on pocket money. but now i dont apart from shoes and bags sha..

5. errrr

July 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Isn’t wearing okrika the same as fixing human hair? #JustSaying

• dammy

July 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm

i completely agree!

• oyin

July 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

on point

• Laide

July 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Lmao..dats quite true…borrowed hair

• Sunshine

July 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

My dear, follow me and ask them o! How many of us have asked which shrine in India or mortuary in Peru the 20 inch weave on our heads came from?

• OAE

July 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

LOL!!!!! That is toooooo funnnyyyyy!!!!!! So on point.

• Ima

July 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My thoughts exactly!

• kween

July 3, 2013 at 12:27 am

Lmbo u have killed me oh! So true.

• Ada

July 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

So, so true!!!

• Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

#Gbam!!!!!!!!!! Nice question!

• Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

#Gbam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice question!

• bella

July 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm

*****hugss****** lol

• OmoMakun

July 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm

*Fallsoffchair*….you have killed me with laughter! Lol!

• iLanGrL

July 4, 2013 at 2:39 am

Now that u mention it , Human hair is really a human being’s hair.. Hair that once had dandruff, rancid coconut oil and in some instances a really bad case of lice .
      People should realize that once the item leaves the store and gets on your ass its just an “asset”. Value depreciates rapidly, so why do I have to pay full price when there’s GoodWill .. Okrika all the way baby..!!!

• YumYum

July 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you oooooo!!

• 'Soji Adedoyin

July 5, 2013 at 10:14 am

Yes o, used hair.

6. wendy

July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I dont mind buying okirika so long as it is neat. It helped me alot as a student and I still buy it up till now.

7. helynn

July 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I don’t see wearing or buying Ok a problem,but it becomes a problem wen one gets soo addicted to it,buying from pants to bags all second hand

8. me2

July 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Some aint worn like people think when they hear okrika. As long as its in good shape and newish , am game

9. Joan

July 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm

My dear, I will buy OKRIKA anyday as long as it’s good and fits well. Pata pata, we go wash am inside Ariel and disinfectant. After all, our fashionista sisters in Yankee and Jand ALWAYS buy second-hand clothes and tell us it is THRIFTED lol. Whether it is hanging in a store with a “Goodwill” sign above it or on the floor in Nnamdi’s shop in Yaba, all join 🙂

• Lily

July 5, 2013 at 10:00 pm

So so funny,u are so right

10. ewems

July 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hahahahhaa. *rolling* Helynn is in the spirit with that “Ok” comment. Mama niyen.

11. Product of public Education

July 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Yaba, Market street, Katangowa, Mesebo market contoun …… Okrika plc. Why not? Not everybody can afford the so called high end prices and as a naija pikin even pako wants to form butter so thank God for the alternative outlets for some.

12. Chic

July 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I am the queen of thrift shopping or charity store shopping if you like. I only buy tops and dresses mostly since I am very curvy at the hips and thrifted bottoms hardly ever fit me or I can never seem to find my size in thrift stores. I see no problem in buying used clothes if you can buy a used car live in a previously owned house what is wrong with buying outer garments pre used? And you find some very unique and vintage pieces in thrift stores that you would be hard pressed to find in a regular store. On a regular day I can be found rocking a thrifted top, high street jeans and shoes and a designer bag no big deal. If I like it and it fits and I can afford it then I buy it. Watch this thrift store haul or just Google goodwill haul or charity store haul or thrift store haul on YouTube to see American and British ladies thrifting

13. kilipot

July 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

hmmm so ppl wont come and drop their comment o

14. frances

July 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

i dont have problems with buying (OK)resold cloth as long as they are in good condition and come to think of it one can get very good designer stuffs from there and urs truly have eyes for good thing and i look out for them by checking out the label on it before i buy them… u can actually get original Next, New look, Zara etc from Ok.

15. chinwe

July 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

i don’t have a problem with buying already worn cloths because some of them are actually not but even if it is most of the time they are still very very good to wear and some times the quality of the these second hand clothing’s are of better quality to the new ones.

16. Mariaah

July 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

My dear, I buy “OK”! Heck, I bought 4 beautiful chiffon/silk blouses last week for #1600..
    As long as it isn’t faded, torn and you wash them properly then its fine.. Even the richest pple abroad buy “vintage” and we all know most vintage clothes are old, already worn clothes..

17. The Mask

July 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm

lol. I bought quite a lot while in school, shaking them off gradually ( pepper don dey rest as per working class lady *wink*), what’s the point in “forming” about it? As DA has rightly said, most of them are actually new with Factory errors. Although some folks try to attach spiritual implications to wearing cloths previously owned by people we don’t know, I personally think the spiritual aspect ( if there’s any), should also be applicable to whatever we buy or use. Wash where applicable and Pray on whatever you buy, Old or New. So help us God.

18. amaaa

July 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

OIL MILL Market on Wednesday in Porthacourt and Ahia Ohuru in ABA is my specialty meehn some of the clothes even have their tags on and the poor mans pikin could dress well and look nice with ease. back in the days it was so cheap but now oh Naija govt don pour sand for our garri and banned second hand clothes I wonder who send them message mtchew

• DREAL

July 2, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Wenny!!!!! Oh those days mennnnnnn

• Lizzie

July 2, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Loool, Yesso, Oil mill and new market…

19. linda

July 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

i see no problems buying the so called” okrika” wears its just that if it suits my taste and can last longer i will buy them, its just a matter of washing them very well before wearing them.

20. Alero

July 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I do patronize “Okridemus” according to a friend; but its like once in a while, esp as a student. But I employ a lil trick: I don’t wear them up and down,i.e. Top and Pants. It makes it so obvious. I’d rather wear an OK top and match with new pants. I have also discovered that they have better shoes (i.e., in terms of quality).

21. me

July 2, 2013 at 4:28 pm

The westerners say Vintage clothes, nigerians say Okrika (bend down boutique) Lol

22. Nomy1

July 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Shey if them talk say na Princess Diana na she wear am before, people will be full of admiration for the people bidding for it, does that make it anything less than 2nd hand? I buy OK please, you’ll even get some wonderful things when you to “bend down boutique”! Fimally if you dont want all these snobs to catch you there, make sure “Nnamdi” is your customer and you have his phone number then he’ll select the best stuff for you and hand it over codedly!

• Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

Loooool! please I need this Nnamdi’s number.

23. omalicha

July 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I bought all my jeans from mandilas in eko while i was a student . Bless my brother who knows where to get the best from. i still buy stuff from charity shop as well.

24. didi

July 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm

i dont have any problem buying used cloths, and its not all of them that r worn, some might be factory errors. Let me gist u,i and my fwends had a red carpet event to attend, they all went buying some expensive dresses and shoes, as a sharp hustler wey still dey for street dey hustle na, i just went to CELE market i cant shout i need to cut my cloth according to my material na. There is a woman dat sales nice dresses dere, be it short or long, u need to see the dress i bought for just 1500 naira, it looks like a 10k or 20k dress…………. guess the make? (VALENTINO) and a ZARA Okrika shoe for 2500k only. You see packaging and my friends tot i bought dos tins so expensive and new cos dey all look new. i like ur dress i like ur dress na him i just dey hear for the event kai! lol somtin dat is not up to 5k sef . so u see Okrika is good wen u kw u dont have much money to spend on new cloths or wen u want to get the best your money can’t afford, just go to bend down bouquet and u will get the best ur little money can afford. Me like it sha o cos i do mix dem up wit the new once.

• Ready

July 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

Please, where is this market? Make I no dull myself.

• OAE

July 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

Exactly ohhh. i would really like to know where you shop oh. No posing at all

• didi

July 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Cele Ijesha Lagos is close to Mile2

25. Teema

July 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Okrika, nbroni wou, fripperies, thrift store, vintage, outlet mall o, it’s all about cutting your coat according to your size, it’s your pocket depth and capacity. I used to buy them back in the days when I was on pocket money but not anymore. Also buying second hand panties, bras and any intimate apparel was a no no for me; but the rest upon Inspection were worn by Moi.

• AW

July 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I smiled when I saw the word nbroni wou, that’s what my late mum called it. She grew up in Ghana. When she didn’t want people around to know what she was talking about, she called it nbronu we wou [dress Oyinbo has worn] , she was Nigerian :). Happy memories!

26. Lami

July 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I don’t see any problem buying okrika, its all about your pocket size.
    Kindly visit http://www.iamfar.com

27. funmi

July 2, 2013 at 4:56 pm

AM YET TO COME ACROSS A PERSON IN THIS OUR NAIJA WE NEVER WEAR OKRIKA OOO, EVEN THE WRITER. IIIISSHHHH

• peye

July 4, 2013 at 12:37 am

as a matter of fact you can wear okrika unknowingly after a boutique repackages it.

28. temmie

July 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm

thank u o errr, isn’t it the same thing as fixing human hair?

29. Tesonma

July 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Its not okirika its vintage!

30. AW

July 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

There really is nothing wrong in buying second hand clothes, but I draw the line at under-garments. My greatest problem is when people get so addicted to it they can’t tell the difference between the price of a “fresh shop” bought item off the high street and okrika. I have a friend that does exactly that, if you tell her a skirt/top/gown is a particular amount, say £10 which is at most N2700, she screams and says “I no fit o!” because she is used to buying okrika for N300! But she can afford human hair of N80,000!

31. Anne

July 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm

After buying all those stuff frm Guess,Zara,Aldo,Dune etc, I still don’t joke with my fave charity shop!

32. sinquanon

July 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Undergarments a no no for me. But shoes, bags, clothes and novels? bring it on! My own trick is to go to charity shops in affluent areas. Trust me you are guaranteed to find some really gorgeous things you wont find on the high street.

• oluwatobi

November 24, 2014 at 9:56 am

Pls. Where can I get. Very cheap clothes cos my pocket money is quite small and I still need 2 dress very nyc 2 school

33. Wale

July 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thrift shopping is the order of the day. It is usually clothes that one has outgrown or that you just don’t want anymore for reasons other than damage. Why hoard these things and clutter your home when you can get money for disposing them? Thrift stores (or vintage stores in the UK) will not accept damaged goods.

34. Florence

July 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Wearing okrika isn’t bad !as long as I look good,besides okrika has grades,Lol!!!

35. ada's pride

July 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm

As for me, na me and Okrika dem born put. Recently I got ran into a school mate in “ok” market and she was kind of forming. Cos the way she behaves in class, she didn’t believe I’ll see her in “ok” tinz. Me I just jejely and proudly dey check out my clothes o, wetin concern Tuface with Dada. I DO NOT see anything wrong woth Ok” so long as you see beautiful stuff. As a matter of fact, last monday I got this really cute Miss Selfridge pumps for as low as- wait for it- 1000naira, when I got home my mom could not believe it, cos it. Was Sooooo cute and new. So anybody wey dey form, make dem continue forming oo.

36. Dutchess

July 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Okrika dat d name of my villa o.. Was told d sales of dis used clothes started there..

37. Babes

July 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Thrift Store anyday! I even once got a nice-still-had-on-tags Neiman Marcus purse and a nice Betsy Johnson Sandal from Salvation Army. I got both items for $5. Hell Yes! Thrift Store anyday…I never buy anything full price anyway,I stalk purses/dresses/shoes/undergarments at the mall and only buy when they are on clearance and I dress very well if I must add. I dont hide these things btw…if you know me, you’ll know that…ain’t nobody got time for that. My clothes or shoes dont define me.

• Nene Leakes

July 3, 2013 at 5:03 am

Lol @ Aint nobody gat time for that

38. oose

July 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

dear bella naija oh my gosh i think you guys should have a function where comments that are so cool and hilarious can be thumbed up you know and then have a section for comments of the week … to be honest the comments on her are so cool and when you eventually do that give me so credit … just kidding but yall know it will be a good idea .. cos the comments on here are so cool crazy and sometimes gets one thinking i could base my next doctorate work on comments on bella naija trust me … there is a lot of psychological and social dynamics to the written voices in the section … phew quite interesting i must say …. x

• Nene Leakes

July 3, 2013 at 5:02 am

You’re so right….imagine the stress it will save you from preparing questionnaires. Hopefully BellaNaija can look into it.

39. Mookie

July 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

40. Nene Leakes

July 3, 2013 at 5:00 am

Even Carrie Bradshaw bought a ‘vintage’ wedding dress,aka okrika, from a thrift store for her wedding to Big. Really what’s the big deal? I wore okrika when i was little but as we got older and started travelling out of the country we started mixing it up. I’m alive and haven’t died from wearing another womans dress,blouse,jeans, shoes or bags.

If those yaba boys had nice looking stores with their clothes well presented, a lot of Nigerians won’t mind shopping there. I guess the whole idea of “bend down select” is quite embarassing.

41. jenny

July 3, 2013 at 6:39 am

Okrirka rocks menh, u needs 2 c d tops I got 400 weneva I wear any and put up m pix on my dp pple won’t let me rest, questions will b rolling *plz whr do u shop *I get really luvly things4rm OK I don’t know abt u.thrs ds my hoit frnd dat sent m money some days ago 2 shop 4 her whr I shop.I was able 2 buy like 10 tops wt 5k can u bit dat. So 4 u guys dat can’t wear it*deal wt it*

• Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Yeepa! Pumps for 1k????? Pls where do u shop??? #400 tops? Mbok, gimme d address o

• Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:13 am

Yeepa! 400 tops???????? please where do you shop? mbok, I need the address

• safayafierce

July 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm

abeg biko were do u shop? 10 tops 4 5K! help a sister!!!!!!!

42. P

July 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

So aren’t the clothes sold at high end Thrift stores in LA, NY and London okrika? 🙂 #jussayin
    Anyhoo I once read somewhere that people in the 3rd world don’t appreciate “old” things (old homes, clothes, antiques etc.) yet cos we are still in the mentality that stuff has to be new to be appreciated.

43. KK

July 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

I haven’t been OK shopping in the last 10years or so, but I must admit I miss the smell 🙂 of those clothes.

44. nk

July 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

okrika anyday mehn..its vintage lol

45. Priscy

July 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

I no dey joke with Okrika at all o…though I mix it with the new ones. But these days that I am working, there’s usually no time to go and ‘bend down select’ because the best times to get the good stuff is when they open the bail.

46. tito

July 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Okirika is now expensive at Yaba. That is the painful part of this story.

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm

loooool! I was waiting for this comment. I went there the other day those boys were giving me jeans for 4k! i dey mad i jejely went and bought a new one.

47. Tm

July 3, 2013 at 11:20 am

I have always loved ‘Ok’. the shoes are so nice and they last a long time. come to Yaba and u will see the so-called “big girls” patronizing ‘Ok’ market. Biko, na wetin I get the money I go buy nah, I no fit kill myself.

48. Aderonke

July 3, 2013 at 11:21 am

lwkmd…… Pls bella I think @Oose’s suggestion is so right. I want to concur that we should pls have a section for “likes & dislikes”. So many hilarious and amazing comments on this article.”Okrika” is not only for clothes even cars, homes, children’s clothes, phones, books electronics etc. I do OK wen i have the time especially for shoes because you hardly find same designs twice dats anoda unique tin about Ok stuffs. When you have a low budget Okrika works well, especially for kids. They outgrown their clothes very fast so why buy clothes worth N1ok -N20k for dem wen they will outgrow them in the next few months. Abeg if u can, when u can, Okrika is a savior and good investment!

49. Retrochic

July 3, 2013 at 11:37 am

@priscy @ open the bail, very funny, but I must say the writer is taking the topic too seriously, why attach so much importance to who wore the clothes, etc, just have an open mindset, a free spirit, by the clothes and dry clean, shikena

• Priscy

July 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Abi o…wash, dry and Iron well shikena!!!

50. NK'S PASSIONS

July 3, 2013 at 11:41 am

Thumbs up @ all the comments … Memories meeeeen!! My all time favourite dress was from Okrika. Love that catsuit like say na my twin sister chai!!! I know all the whistling and SSS ssss when I hear then any time I wore it. I live in the Uk now and trust ME. I go for Bargain and Zara is my favourite shop plus Charity

51. Anointed Ade

July 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

after reading all this article n comments..i think i will definitely go shopping in charity shops on day infact soon…if i can buy hair extensions n not question whose head it cam from, then i definitely buy used clothes without questioning who wore it previous….my body is the temple of the holyghost therefore i am aware that anything that i wear carries God’s anointed.

52. Bathsheba

July 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm

for me I mix my cloths so at the end of the day no wahala

53. shardey

July 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Do we still get good qualities of black denim/jeans 4 boutiques now? if no b 4 okrika!!!!!!!!, i begiee mke una leave matter 4 mathias…lollllllllll, it depends on ur want,av been lookin 4 a black body hug 4 a while now n av checked all stores n even on line buh 2 knw a veil mhenn if i hear say i go c 4 “bend down select”, sharp sharp i go land dia o. buh me no fit wear dia undies ooooo…….lol

54. comment awaiting moderation

July 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Nice

55. yea

July 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm

i wear Okirika. i call it dressing for less

56. Ngozi

July 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I like the uniqueness you get with vintage clothing. I would definitely shop vintage or okrika as you call it. Please check out my post on vintage styling
    dressed2dnines.blogspot.com/2013/05/chic-define-your-vintage-style.html

57. triangle

July 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Okrika all the way oh. The secret is getting the good quality first grade.

58. JADE

July 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

lol, the days of waking up at 4 am to rush to kotangora to buy tops and dresses for 50 naira, Okrika rocks o. only say yaba market don scatter now but those days were great. i recently bought a gucci make up urse for 300 naira at Ojuelegba 🙂

59. Mobola

July 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

All of the above… as long as it makes you feel like a lady.

60. Deep Soul

July 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I used to be an OK addict when I was in school. Back then, I would buy any and everything!! Mile 1 park and Oil Mill in PH were the places to be 😀
    These days tho, I’ve sort of slowed down for reasons I can’t fathom. However, if I pass by anywhere and I see okrika, my neck must do 360, whether or not I intend to buy! E be like say na spirit.

I hardly buy okrika clothes anymore because they are almost as expensive as new clothes these days! And more expensive in some cases! However, I recently had a baby and needed nursing bras and okrika was/is my best bet!! I bought one yesterday sef 😀 All the new nursing bras I bought were just crappy and didn’t have as much “hold” as the okrika bras. And they are so darn expensive! The cheapest you’ll get is 2k per bra!!!

My husband is soooooo disgusted by okrika so I usually have to hide them, disinfect them, wash, use fabric perfume and iron so he doesn’t suspect anything!

And I just discovered the okrika section for babies and children in Garki market! Choi! U wanna try cheapness. And really, it’s not about class. Senators’ wives come there too, I was shocked sef.

My husband has promised to send me back to my father’s village if he ever finds out I bought an okrika dress for his child. People, pls pray for me 😀

• Yemzy

July 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm

abi o. I don jam many of our celebs for Yaba wayback buh now guala has arrived. Make i no begin mention names. lol

• Ngozika

July 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

Sister me., abeg which part of Garki market is the Okrika section located???

• kathy

July 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

my God! u hv scattered my head wv laffter! v actually woken my husband! lwkmd

61. missy

July 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

haha, my aunt once gave me a hermes bag she bought from katoungora, men you go fear rocking now the bag looks very clean with all the locks and all attached to it. being my level then in naija I rarely take it to where my omo baba olowo friends that travel go o, u wan make kasala burst. okirika is quite goodddd!! thrift shops have cute and decent stuff….

62. babygirl

July 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

lool i can never buy aba made cloth for N200 bur i can buy 5k okirika dress 1st grade doe

63. Yemzy

July 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm

We have even tagged an okrika street in Yaba as N120 club. Only my family members can decode it. Omo my official skirts, camisoles etc are from N120 naira market rite there in Yaba. Although I mix them cos i get tired of testing and everyone is looking unlike boutique wey AC go blow u while fitting ur cloth. Meanwhile my colleagues go dey ask me gimme this ur top na, dash this stuff na, i just laff and when asked ow much? they are gobsmacked @ the price. I remember i bought one sequined bolero in Yaba a long time ago for N150 ( Still wears it) My colleague saw that same bolero @ Mango for N11,350 i dint believe until i went there myself. Even Mr Price sells bolero btw N3,500- 3,800. All na ‘palkajin’ in #jenifer’s voice#
    What i do now is look out for stores that offers sales as well as shop on dealdey o pari.

64. madam

July 4, 2013 at 4:30 pm

for me, am a big sucker for quality, i hate china aka fake things, so since i can afford quality things all the time, i settle for okrika mehn. my style of dressing is kinda vintage. so i go for okrika, especially for shoes and bags.

65. Xtsy

July 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Good to see babes being so down to earth today.

66. Bunmi Lawal

July 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Lolz at all the comments.

67. meeee

July 5, 2013 at 5:14 am

wow. now i feel somehow for not wearing okrika 🙁 Wait…. am i the only one that actually doesn’t??? sigh #iMustTachToo

68. Ife

July 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Lol the first two people that commented on ths lol.. Hmm and uhmm lmaoooooo nice one

69. stels

July 6, 2013 at 12:22 pm

for me okirika is not a bad idea ooo,its just that when you are buying them you have to watch out for stains & the brightness of the clothes,after all okirika get grade. but there are somethings i can`t buy from okirika stand e.g underwears or household cooking untensil. okirika clothes are most times unique in terms of designs and some clothing store buy okirika at it 1st grade & give them packaging…you can even get the most interesting vintage dress from okirika,abeg who wants buy stock jeans N12,000 from mega store when @ yaba you will get correct morgan jean for N2,0000 the difference is clear in terms of price,but for the quality i doubt……so bella okirika biz is fun,i mix mine sha (okirika + newly made) .

70. cheechee

July 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm

i dnt see thrifting as a bad thing.i like to scout for new and affordable shoes from the us as i hardly get my size in shoes and i do okrika bags sometimes but i make sure i have 2 or 3 new bags i can always use to brighten up a very simple outfit.jeans totally okrika.

71. Brightonlad

July 13, 2013 at 3:48 am

Ladies biko I am from OKRIKA in Rivers State. The amount of people that don’t know that it is actually a place is frightening. I would be happy if another name is used to define second hand clothes

72. DF

May 27, 2015 at 5:36 pm

hi pple pls can any1 tellme whr i can find a place to sell off my suits&shoe? my suits r not worn, i bought them bt now i dont need them. help pls