News

Genevieve Nnaji denies Interview with Yes International! Magazine | Editor says it’s Before She was Famous – Read the Full Interview

BN-Exclusive_-Africa-Magic-Viewers-Choice-Awards-Exclusive-Nominees-Brunch-February-2013-BellaNaija016-399x600

Did she or didn’t she grant the interview?

Genevieve Nnaji is one of the cover stars for soft sell publication Yes International! Magazine‘s new issue, set to hit news stands tomorrow.

Genevieve Nnaji - August 2013 - BellaNaija

Today the Nollywood star took to Twitter to state that she didn’t grant the publication an interview. “My Last official interview was with Genevieve Magazine. Anything else is either false or as old as my career.” she states.

The editor-in-chief of the publication Azuh Arinze sent BellaNaija the complete interview. The intro of the feature reads,

Long before super stardom beckoned, I had this innocent but interesting interview with Genevieve Ifunanya Nnaji.

I must, however, confess that I stumbled on the tape again only days back, and while wading through my archives.

I’ve transcribed and extracted some of her candid thoughts which she shared with me. Particularly those I consider to still be relevant.

Read the Interview;
Yes! International Magazine

“I want God to Bless Me with the Right Man and a Good Family”

Born on May 3, 1979 into the family of Benedatte and Theophilus Nnaji, Genny, like I enjoy addressing her, hails from Umuebi – Amuzu in Aboh-Mbaise, Imo State. The fourth of her parents’ eight children, she attended Kemstar Nursery and Primary School, Surulere, Lagos; Methodist Girls High School, Lagos and Girls Secondary School, Akwakuma, Owerri, Imo State.

Dazzling and delectable, sumptuous and sexy, sweet and svelte, she is unarguably and indisputably the reigning pride of Africa in the make-believe world.

One of our biggest and richest, the single mother of one (Lily) who has in her kitty some of the most coveted award trophies and to her credit some of the most lucrative endorsement deals poured it all out to Azuh Arinze.

Trust me; you will definitely enjoy this…

How does it feel to have risen this far within so short a time?
(Smiles) I’m trying to handle it as much as I can. It feels fulfilling. I feel I’m having the best of my time. I feel the Lord is with me. I feel I have been able to make an impact on people and I have a lot of fans and I’m enjoying my life. It feels good.

To what or whom do you owe all that?
God’s gift, talent, determination, pride…

What do you mean by pride? They say it goes before a fall.  And now you are saying it is responsible for your success?
You have to have pride to be able to stand the crowd, you have to have pride to be able to stand the intimidation and arrogance of people. Especially people who feel you have to pay dues to get to where you are going. You have to have the pride and stamina to tell them boldly you know what you are doing; they didn’t bring you to the industry, you will leave when you want to and you leave because you want to.

Where do you want to or hope to be in the next 10 years?
In the next 10 years, I know I will be married with kids. But I think it all depends on what God has fashioned out for me. I know I will still be in the entertainment industry or the fashion world or whatever.

What do you like most about stardom because it appears you don’t want to tell us about your love life?
The fact that it opens doors for you is what I like most about it. You walk into a place and every other person is queuing up for one thing or the other, they just start to recognize you. Oh! come in, come in…It’s actually a door opener for us or for me. It has brought respect, especially when you do what you are doing well. What I hate most about it is the price that we get to pay for stardom – negative publicity, the untrue scandals; actually, the only thing I hate about it is the bad press.

What will you say is the worst story ever written about you in the press?
So many bad things. But the one I hated most was the one of Fred Amata and I, which I don’t know where they got it from. It hurt me so much. It was not just fair.

How do you feel anytime you read negative things about your person in the media?
Certainly, I don’t feel good…

What if the stories are true, but maybe you were not expecting it to be published?
It’s rarely been the truth. Maybe a bit of it, but that’s not how it happened. The press never tells the story the way it is. It’s usually a bit from here and a bit from there. For a very long time, they have not written anything true about me…

How did you come into the movie industry?
I have been acting since I was eight in Ripples. That was how I got into acting. For movies, I think that should be 1998 in Most Wanted. I met Torino (Emeka Ojukwu) in a bus and to my greatest surprise, he recognized me, from Ripples, when I was about eight, nine. He asked why I left the industry. He later invited me to this audition – Most Wanted. I got a role, a “waka-pass” and that was it.

But the story we heard was that Kunle Coker brought you in and that both of you even dated?
Yes, Kunle Coker was actually my boyfriend. But he did not bring me into the industry.

They said he was heartbroken when you deserted him. What led to the collapse of your relationship?
Well, relationships come and go.

Is it true that you dumped him for Fred Amata?
Fred Amata? I’ve never had anything to do with Fred Amata. In Ripples, I used to call Fred Amata uncle. So, I don’t see the reason why I should date Fred Amata. Fred Amata and I are just friends. I don’t have anything to do with him.

Are you now saying that apart from Kunle Coker, you have not dated any other person in the industry?
I will not say that and I will not say anything on the contrary either. I don’t think it is your business. It’s my personal life.

What do you find most attractive in a man?
The fact that a man will take me for who I am, not for what he hears or what he believes. I like people who take me for the me they see. That’s the most important thing. And have regard for me. And trust too.

What do you think is the biggest mistake that men make with women?
Everyone makes mistakes. But to me, I will not tolerate any man who hits women. To me, that’s evil.

Do you believe in love at first sight?
I believe in infatuation at first sight. Love is a very strong feeling. It does not just come. People think infatuation is being in love. They are two different things. You don’t know anything yet until you get to meet the person and you begin to fall in love. Not just physically, but externally with the person.

Can you recollect the first time you fell in love?

Tell us about it.
I think we met at a show. This was when I was in secondary school and we shared a lot of things in common – singing. It was a case of two compatible people who were so much in love with each other and…

(Interruption) So, what eventually happened?
Like I said, relationships must come and go. You can’t help everything that happens. Some things just happen for no reason.

What’s your definition of love?
Love has to be understanding, caring. Love, to me, is being with somebody for 24 hours without being bored. Love is catching your breath every time you see whoever you are in love with. Love is friendship, love is understanding and love is trust.

Do you believe in being faithful in a relationship?
Yeah! I’m very faithful.

Can you date a fan?
I’ve never dated a fan. And I don’t know if I can. But people come around to toast as per fans. But it’s a matter of nicely telling them off. There are different reasons why fans like or love artistes. So, it actually depends on why my fan loves me. It depends. Although, I don’t think it is advisable to date a fan. The reason being that people are in love with what they see on the screen, not the real you.

What’s your idea of a sensual treat?
Quiet time in a place surrounded by nature, water, trees…less talk, more of feelings, let the feelings show instead.

What part of a man’s body do you like most?
What kind of questions are these?

Must I answer that?
Okay, a man’s chest, from the belly up.

What part of your own body do you like most?
I guess it’s my eyes. I think I like my eyes.

What’s your greatest wish?
That God continues to bless me. Especially with the right man and a good family.

It’s like you are too eager to get married?
No, no, no. The thing is just that there comes a time in your life where everything is going fine. And all you say to yourself is after this, what next? After everything, you have to get married as far as you are a woman.

What’s your favourite colour?
Blue.

What are your hobbies?
Singing, dancing…

Let’s have your bio-data. People don’t seem to know much about you?
I’m from Aboh-Mbaise in Imo State. I went to Kemistar Nursery and Primary School, Surulere; Methodist Girls High School, followed by one in Ikeja. I kept on moving. But ended up at Girls Secondary School, Akwakuma in Owerri, Imo State.

Why have you not furthered your education?
Life is not the same for everybody. Some people are so lucky, they come out of secondary school and they go straight to university because they have the back-up of people and it’s so easy. It looks simple…mine was different. But I’m determined. Definitely, I’m gonna go back to school. I wanted to make money, I love my money, I cherish my own money. So, I will go back when I’ve made enough. But even while I’m there, I won’t stop working.

Tell us about your parents, what do they do?
My parents are there. My mum is a teacher and my dad is retired.

What was your dad into before his retirement?
He was a bank manager with African Continental Bank (ACB)…I’m the fourth of eight children, the third girl. We are four girls, four boys. I come from a very strong Christian family. And I think that has been able to have an effect on my life, especially since I came into the industry. You see, even when people go out to say all sorts, my mother knows the kind of daughter she has. She knows the limit that I can go.

She must have been devastated when you took in, in your teens?
Well, well…I think so.

What was your childhood like?
My childhood was fun. It was fun. You don’t get to get all that these days.

What’s the greatest complement that has ever come your way?
My complexion.

The BellaNaija team got in touch with the publication and they released this statement;

Like we professionally stated in our intro, it’s an old interview she had with our Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, Azuh Arinze, years back at Oceanview Restaurants, Victoria Island, Lagos. He only stumbled on the tape again and reproduced it. Above all, we still have the tape of the interview as well as photographs taken on that day.
Thanks.
Desmond Ike-Chima
For Yes International! Magazine

1. B

August 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

LOL she sounds stuck up!!

• slice

August 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

lol. that’s probably why she didn’t want it published. Because it reflects what she was, not who she is.

2. The Real Madam the Madam

August 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I don’t understand why she’s denying it. It’s not a bad interview. I quite like it actually. I think that Genevieve comes off as very closed off and shielded. Too over-packaged with what she wants us to see, so this was a nice little peek into the woman behind all the glitz and glam. If it’s the matter of wanting to be married and having kids, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. I think that sometimes women don’t want to admit to these things because they seem less independent and maybe “desperate” but I don’t see it that way at all. Nothing do you Genny.

3. PR

August 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

hmmm

4. oma

August 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Hian! It’s Azuh Arinze? Am not suprised.. that dude is such a sleeze, wrote all these lies about people in city people or encomium, one of those soft sells now he is coming with another one……. Like can he please grow up……. hisses!

5. Sandra

August 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

On an unrelated topic: I know this write-up is about Genevieve but for some reason I got distracted with the ‘How to Tighten your vagina’ in large print on the YES Magazine.

• Zz

August 27, 2013 at 12:51 am

Respectfully Sandra, you dey craze! Lmao

6. slice

August 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Well, they are both right. It’s an old interview like the editor said and it’s as old as her career like she said.

7. Uju

August 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Where I first read it, it clearly stated this is an old interview, so why the drama?

8. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

August 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I wish YES! would drop this case…lol looks like more statements will be released off the back of this one.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

9. MIMI

August 26, 2013 at 5:29 pm

so genevive did not attend university? oga oo

10. Iris

August 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm

But she shouldn’t be shy now. There were weaves and purses I had in uni that I now look back on and think “chai, odikwa very shyous and risky things”. The young shall grow, no? hehe. What she should be denying are those short, burgundy stiletto-like weaves she used to have.

11. Musa

August 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Since its an old interview, why publish such in a new year ( 2013). Obviously its really not relevant. but just becos Azuh wants to make money, he remembered the Long time interview of Genny. Azuh should grow Up Abeg! why didnt he publish it weeks after he did the interview? Why didnt he state it on the front Cover that is an old Interview… possibly becos he knows no Nigerian will buy it seeing its an old interview she granted. YES MAG MY ASSS!!!!

• iamme

August 26, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’m with you. Why publish the interview now? He said it was an old interview but he felt he needed to publish it because of what she said holds true today. Whatever! He could have made the disclaimer that it was an old interview right there on the front cover as he badly wanted to release it. Personally, I don’t blame Genevieve for being defensive. Not many people would remember the interview they granted some ten years or so back.

12. Msunderstood

August 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm

It’s very obvious to even an idiot that this is a very old interview. She was very young n naive.
    I still love queen .

13. Goldmyne Entertainment

August 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Yes magazine is a credible mag.I trust them…time will tell

• Californiabawlar

August 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hian!! Me I sha doubt the credibility of a magazine tactlessly telling me how to tighten my vagina on the front page!

• Sandra

August 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I thought i was the only one that caught that.

14. Ok o

August 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Obviously they had no news again so they had to be digging into old stories.I hope they won’t have to ask her for money in order for them to be able to stop publishing old news

15. Jay

August 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm

LOl naijatea.blogspot.com/2013/08/here-at-last.html

16. T.k

August 26, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I luv genny wit passn.

17. PR

August 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing, some people are not even worth your words. -gen

18. PR

August 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm

why i want to build the biggest church in the world for God. hmm

• I am irritated. please keep off!!!

August 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

So?

19. IM

August 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm

It sure sounds real, believable and kinda cute. I have no doubt that she gave the interview and to me there’s no big deal in anything she said. Obviously things haven’t turned out exactly as she planned but that’s life! I really cant see why the ado. Genny don’t mind them jor.

20. Chiangel

August 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I love the interview. What’s wrong with it?

21. bobbydox

August 26, 2013 at 10:07 pm

pls AZUH ARINZE what was the essence of posting an interview you had with a celebrity back then now after so many years…………. oh wait!!!!!!!!!!! you want to fish on the GENEVIEVE’S POPULARITY RIGHT and sell your cheap dumb A** newspaper or damn soft sell paper pls try harder next time

22. Nicole

August 26, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Be specific. She did not deny the interview. She simply stated that she either did not grant it or it must be a very old one. Considering how long ago the interview was done, it’s not inconceivable that she might have forgotten granting it. How many of these interviews do these guys go through in a year and they are usually comprised of the same nonsense questions and information. My question is… why in the world are they reproducing it and republishing it now… to achieve what aim exactly?

23. kenora

August 27, 2013 at 12:49 am

l read this interview yesteday ,ad l tink is not bad..l really wish her everytin gud in life..bcos l tink she has a great personality..

24. comment awaiting moderatn

August 27, 2013 at 1:46 am

…Sounds like there’s a motive for this and it’s definitely not a good one…

25. Naija 4 Life

August 27, 2013 at 6:35 am

How to tighten your vagina” and “Nollywood sex crazed actress”
    What an amazing topic in bold print.

26. Omo1

August 27, 2013 at 8:33 am

@the real madam the madam…she didn’t deny it. the you read her tweet upside down?!

• Omo1

August 27, 2013 at 8:34 am

“did you”

• The Real Madam the Madam

August 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

And did you read the title of this post upside down? They implied that she denied it and I commented on that.

27. princess

August 27, 2013 at 8:34 am

nigerians and their fake journalism. so na ma genny this magazin want use make money ehh? they new with when people will see genny on the cover, they will probably want to buy. shame on those who published that,. there are soo may juicy and recent news of celebs and not only genny

28. princess

August 27, 2013 at 8:35 am

i love u die genny

29. lee

August 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

why publish a stale interview??? whats d aim exactly? She has all the right to be defensive… people change in days let alone years… This interview might not state her present of mind, so….

30. lee

August 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

*present state of mind

31. Bella

August 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

Dumb a$$ reporter, so why you want to cash in now 10 years or whatever later, abeg get off your lazy ass and report current issues, who cares about the ancient dug in the grave story – are you not meant to stay current, then again with that captions of yuour newspaper headlines, na wa have you people no shame, i dont blame you! mscheewwwww attention seekers! ya I said it!

32. Beauty

August 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

A 200 bucks mag telling u how to tighten your ‘V jay jay’ odikwa very risky!

33. bn lover

August 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm

The interview is old, i remember reading it back then. But life is funny, the purity in that interview just show the difference between then and now. It was a most honest interview. Today the interview plays out differently. I grew up in a middle class environment, i went to University!

34. Jaydyte

August 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Now I know where Geneveive got that walking style! She went to Akwakuma Girls Secondary School in Owerri, that is how the girls walk in that school. What we used to call open-eye day school, girls there grow before their age. Too much Lagos girls in that school, for a school in the suburbs of Owerri.

35. MoD

August 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Bn lover please where did you read the interview when it was never published?? Did you not read that it was found in the archives? Or are you the tape that the interview was recorded on ni? I tire o

36. Tosin

August 28, 2013 at 7:35 am

I love Gene. It’s actually that simple.

37. NNENNE

August 31, 2013 at 6:07 am

Na wow for Nigerians. The woman is insinuating she did not do the interview and they telling her she is denying it.

38. Funmi

September 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I really thank God for her life…..so far so good all glory to God…some of her mate that started together same time are no where to be found now.
    The interview is not bad at all and as for the editor he is looking for sales.