Events

BN Red Carpet Fab: “Half of a Yellow Sun” TIFF Premiere

BN Red Carpet Fab - Half of a Yellow Sun TIFF Premiere - September 2013 - BellaNaija 13

You’ve been waiting for it, now it has finally premiered.

On Sunday 8th September 2013, Half of a Yellow Sun – the movie adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s best selling novel premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.

The premiere which took place at the Winter Garden Theatre, Toronto, Canada, saw the stars as well as the crew of the anticipated production.

Check it out!

Thandie Newton in Stella McCartney

Thandie Newton in Stella McCartney

Hollywood star Thandie Newton who plays Olanna in the movie, looked simple and chic in a white-and-black bodycon dress by Stella McCartney.

The actress who is expecting her third child with her writer/producer husband Ol Parker, accessorized with diamond stud earrings, a Stella McCartney marbled acetate box clutch and a pair of black ankle strap heels.

I love the easy chic vibe Thandie is oozing. Jumping on the barely-any-make-up-there trend, she completed the look with a sleek ponytail.

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Chiwetel Ejiofor

“Odenigbo” looked sharp on the red carpet.

Nigerian-Hollywood actor Chiwetel Ejiofor wore a navy suit, a blue tie, a white shirt and black shoes. But Chiwetel’s most stylish accessory was his date.

The mystery lady who was also at the premiere of 12 Years a Slave with the actor (Click here for photos), wore a black velvet dress, a black clutch and black sandals.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

When I thought all the female guests decided on black or white coordinated looks, Chimamanda brought some colour to the red carpet.

The author of the best selling book Half of a Yellow Sun, showed off her curves in a yellow peplum top, which features a subtle dramatic shoulder detailing and a rich red fabric under the peplum, and a matching yellow skirt.

The outfit was styled with gold drop earrings and gold peep toes. Smokey eyes, soft luscious lipstick and a stylish pompadour completed her look.

Anika Noni Rose in Hervé Léger

Anika Noni Rose in Hervé Léger

Just like Thandie, Anika Noni Rose also decided on a white-and-black dress.

The beautiful petite actress served us her best red carpet diva attitude in a form fitting Hervé Léger dress. The dress which features a generous décolletage, was simply styled with silver earrings and black pumps.

Her look was picture perfect with red lipstick and short wavy lock styled to the front.

Onyeka Onwenu

Onyeka Onwenu

Veteran musician/actress Onyeka Onwenu was one to watch out for on the red carpet.

The Glo X-Factor judge was all smiles on the red carpet in a black velvet blouse which features, gold studs and gold velvet fabric, black pants and black heels.

Also rocking her signature dark shades, she finished the look with a black clutch and a silver bracelet.

John Boyega

John Boyega

Rising British actor John Boyega looked simple and sharp at the premiere.

John who plays Odenigbo’s houseboy Ugwu in the movie, wore a silver single button blazer, a white shirt, black pants and black shoes.

Genevieve Nnaji in Andrea Iyamah

Genevieve Nnaji in Andrea Iyamah

It’s Genny. The Nollywood star made her big debut at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival on Sunday evening.

As I said in the last feature of Genevieve’s outfit (Click here to read), I wish she arrived in a major frock as this was her huge Hollywood debut.

But her Andrea Iyamah white jumpsuit wasn’t a disappointment. The high neck piece which features short sleeves and long pants, was styled with a white clutch, a gold belt to accentuate her waist, gold stud earrings and gold bracelets.

For beauty, Genny opted for a sleek ponytail with a side fringe, smokey eyes and pink lipstick.

Andrea Calderwood & Biyi Bandele

Andrea Calderwood & Biyi Bandele

HOAYS producer Andrea Calderwood opted for a sleeveless black LBD with a scoop neckline, a black clutch and black heels.

The movie’s director Biyi Bandele wore a black dinner suit, a wine coloured shirt and dark blue shoes.

Tokini Peterside & Hameed Abubakar

Tokini Peterside & Hameed Abubakar

Tokini Peterside was also at the premiere. She wore a grey dress, black heels and a gold necklace.

Helen & Labi Ogunbiyi

Helen & Labi Ogunbiyi

Wale Ojo & Ben Onono

Wale Ojo & Ben Onono

Yewande Sadiku & Muhtar Bakare

Yewande Sadiku & Tunde Folawiyo

Yewande Sadiku and Tunde Folawiyo are the executive producers of the movie.

Ol Parker & Thandie Newton

Ol Parker & Thandie Newton

Onyeka Onwenu, John Boyega & Genevieve Nnaji

Onyeka Onwenu, John Boyega & Genevieve Nnaji

Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newton

Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newton

Thandie Newton & Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Thandie Newton & Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chiwetel Ejiofor & Biyi Bandele

Chiwetel Ejiofor & Biyi Bandele

Andrea Calderwood, Anika Noni Rose, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Thandie Newton & Yewande Sadiku

Andrea Calderwood, Anika Noni Rose, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Biyi Bandele,  Thandie Newton & Yewande Sadiku

John Boyega, Onyeka Onwenu, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Anika Noni Rose, Genevieve Nnaji, Biyi Bandele, Andrea Calderwood,  Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Wale Ojo, Helen Ogunbiyi, Labi Ogunbiyi & Yewande Sadiku

John Boyega, Onyeka Onwenu, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Anika Noni Rose, Genevieve Nnaji, Biyi Bandele, Andrea Calderwood, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Wale Ojo, Helen Ogunbiyi, Labi Ogunbiyi, Tunde Folawiyo & Yewande Sadiku

Watch the Official Trailer

Photo Credit: Zimbio (Jerod Harris/Getty Images North America)

1. Really cute… loving Genevieve’s Jumpsuit

2. Anon

September 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

Wow…Great work-well done. I am looking forward to watching this! I am proud to say, ” I am African.” Thandie Newton, you inspire me! I look up to you as an actress; one day I am going to work with you. Today is Sept 9/2013- I am making a public promise to myself to follow my dreams…One day,soon coming, I am going to win an oscar and the world will know me, because I have a gift that is bigger than me and each day, I feel a force pushing me to pursue it while another force trying everything to block it, but I promise you one day I will make it and when I do…I promise to use my success for the good of Africa.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Get yours, honey! That spunk and purpose will definitely take you far 😀

3. hello

September 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

why does chimamanda always look horrid. whats all of this. thank God genevieve looked good. doe the jumpsuit looked better on the andrea iyamah model. onyeka looks gorgeous doe. when is the movie coming out in nigeria

4. Tinuade

September 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Chiwetel’s mystery babe…ok…I would have preferred a sister but what’s my own…

• iCrossMyHeart

September 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I wonder o. But you love who you love when you love where you love. Maybe if he resides in Nigeria, he would have found love. I think this woman will be his wife. He never shows off his date….this one na serious matta

• ILoveGenevieve

September 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Not true. He showed up on red carpets holding hands with Naomie Harris. And I think they lasted for a while. However, it all ended and here he is now.

5. nicole

September 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Oh sweet jesus!i kant wait to see this movie

6. Recky Evy

September 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Genny looks “Splufic”(just assuming i used this rightly)
    Lol.
    But may i know why people wear pants or jumpsuits that covers their feets.
    It may be in vogue but it sure doesnt appeal to me.

7. #Team BlackMagic#

September 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm

So many words in my mind,but I can’t voice it out..I wonder how chimamanda felt that night or what was said to her,all those inspiring words..BN when are thou going to interview this chick?

8. www.dprodigaldaughter.com

September 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hia! Nigerians! You wished she arrived in a major frock? Genny has been on many international stages, she doesn’t need a major frock. Moreover, it’s not like she’s the lead address in movie, So what’s the hassle? She looks great. Let’s just leave it at that.
    dprodigaldaughter.com

9. Tochini

September 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Agree with you Tinuade why not a pretty sister by his side?? Anyway whoasked mr. They all looking gud.. Like dat Chimamanda put on some colours not the signature white and black most of the ladies wore.. Onyeka Owenu ageless beauty…

Please visit tochiuni-beads.com

10. says so

September 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

What is “hello” talking about???? This is like her best look everrrr!!! Seems you don’t have an eye for good style. Before you make an opinion, think right! Chimamanda looks amazing, and that colour really looks good on her. Gene, this is my favourite red carpet look so far, keep it up!

11. MN

September 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Ugwu looks good to me

12. meeeeee

September 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Oh goodness gracious I love me some chimamanda outfit, although she needs to work on her posture, it almost killed that yellow outfit! Inspiring woman, great writer!!! Gene, I see you! Hope you acted well ooo cos sometimes you can be mechanic!!

• G

September 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm

i love chimamanda’s outfit too and I agree she needs to work on her posture…she looks stunning and I love d way the yellow dress kinda like added some colour to d event. Who makes her clothes btw?

13. that naija girl

September 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Don’t mind dem idle naijas. Instead of praising her work and achievements, u are there criticizing! Well done everyone!

14. agboolas

September 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Can’t wait!

15. ILoveGenevieve

September 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

It’s Half of a YELLOW sun, so Chimamanda immersed herself in yellow and a touch of red for violence. Very thoughtful indeed.

• uju

September 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

lol…Dead u! What is that?

16. uju

September 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Genevieve is too short for that jumpsuit…

• Omo1

September 10, 2013 at 10:58 am

That’s exactly how it should be worn.

• uju

September 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm

That’s not how it should be worn Joh! it looks messy at the base the right length should show a bit of the shoe

17. Gertrude

September 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

They all look great, can’t wait to see the movie and I love the picture with Thandie and Chimamanada embracing. Empowering.

SN: Can’t wait for the day black girls get over their complex and stop looking to see a black man with a “sista” by his side. Like, what exactly is the problem?

• Spesh!

September 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Gertrude – Gerrout out of here! Ya chatting nonsense!

• Gertrude

September 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Umm excuse you? I’ll leave after you. What a silly comment! You could simply have said whatever you disagree with in the comment.

• Ib

September 9, 2013 at 9:34 pm

What has Gertrude said that is wrong now?What else is different about his partner if not her skin colour?Seems to me you a bitter over something else. Abeg,you people should get over yourselves with this sister thing.What has your sisterhood done for you?If he finds a WHITE woman that he loves,is it a crime?Abeg, a million seats are reserved for you with the slave masters of old because i dont see what makes u different from them…Thandie that is MARRIED to a WHITE man nko? Isnt she a “sista”?How come no one saw that? Hypocrites!How about you GET OUTTA HERE WITH YOUR DOUBLE STANDARDS!
      In other news, Genny looks amazing.

• Yellow Blossom

September 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Gertrude abeg please dont bring all that African American complex thing here please

• sweetie

September 10, 2013 at 12:57 am

Thank you jaare !!!! and IB, well said !!!! WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE NOT WHICH BLACK MAN /WOMAN ISN’T WITH A BLACK PARTNER!!!!

18. binta

September 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I want genny jumpsuit .. where do I buy?

19. Me2me

September 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Every1 looks good to me, though i don’t get Amanda’s look, she keeps saying black women should take pride in their natural hair so why on earth is she always using attachment??. Anyways I cant wait to see the movie but i can bet it wont be as great as we expect it to be, so many things went wrong during the shoot, loads of disunity. As for Genny, I love her look, i feel it was exactly on point. Bella insinuating she should have worn otherwise shows the editor knows nothing about style + she is not even the lead actress. The only thing that has disappointed me so far is that these picture session proves Genny didn’t really get along well with them or the producer separated Nollywood from Hollywood during the shoot. These Hollywood peeps are so full of themselves sometimes. I hear some of the actors dont even let PA’s look at them. mtchwwww

• ILoveGenevieve

September 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I sort of noticed the separation ….but choose to over look it. This is the reason I support Nollywood, we need to build our own industry. Such shit won’t happen with Bollywood stars. However, I don’t really care about it cause Genny and aunty Onyeka didn’t seem like they cared. They didn’t go there Toronto to count stars.

20. Hurperyermie

September 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

i love genny and ms. onyeka they are both looking good

21. amarachi

September 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I really need to see dis movie

22. The Real Madam the Madam

September 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

The pressing question here is “what the heck is a major frock?”. Do you actually walk around calling dresses “frocks?”. Boy, this aint 1948.

On that note, Genevieve looks good in that jumpsuit but she could have hemmed it a teeny bit. Anika Noni is killing it. And I’m very undecided about Chimamanda’s outfit…nice concept, but I don’t think it is well tailored to suit her frame.

23. didi

September 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm

does anyone know where i can watch the movie in usa?

24. Orikinla Osinachi

September 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Two thumbs up to BN for a fantastic photo report of the Sunday World Premiere of “Half of a Yellow Sun at the 2013 TIFF.

25. Ima

September 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Genny looked fine as usual. This wasn’t a time to look all fussy even though it was a red carpet event. Now you (I wish she ore a major gown) need to stop complaining. Next time buy her the gown or better still you go there and make a wow appearance. We will applaud you too. Thanks for the pictures though

26. Ima

September 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I agree. It is a tad long

27. Benash Mom

September 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Onyeka Owenu, you’ve aged gracefully. I remembered when you visited Liberia in the 80’s, never forgot you since.

28. me

September 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm

The jumpsuit is a little too long for Gen…wasnt perfectly tailored…i dont like

29. Onyeka Onwena has aura and grace

30. sisieko

September 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Thandie Newton -A+ ,Anika-A,Genny-B, Chimananda-C,Onwenu- B-
    Good job everyone!I hope the movie does well
    SN:On black men with white women.No other race but the black race prefers other women of other races to theirs. Is this a psychological issue?I’m puzzled by this..

• Dora the explorer

September 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

there you are wrong white women do not like to see white men with black women.. It’s called stereotype!!! du’hh!!!

31. Ayana

September 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Genevieve all day, every day….

32. Justanopinion

September 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Chiwetel and Thandi will make such a cute real life couple.

33. Bee

September 10, 2013 at 3:10 am

Uuurgh… The way my body is just shaking waiting in this movies release. UNREAL

34. NNENNE

September 10, 2013 at 4:59 am

Congratulations to everyone.The yellow and red color worn by Chimamanda is very succinct. Everyone looked good but where is Gloria Young?
    Hope this movie wins something. It is surely a must see! I read the book too.

35. koko

September 11, 2013 at 10:06 am

where is Gloria young?
    leccesroyale.blogspot.com/

36. sunny

September 11, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I love the storyline and the cast. Well done. I want to give credit to Chimamanda, that babe is incredible, am still reading her lastest ” Americanah”

37. Duvy

October 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

wowwwwwww. I can’t wait!

38. promise

November 16, 2013 at 1:46 am

so proud of chimamanda and Nigeria.really can’t wait for it
    to be out here