Career

Tired of Your Job? 5 Signs It’s Time to Move On!

The truth is there is hardly a perfect job for anyone. The myth of the dream job continues to be what it is – a fairy tale. Every job comes with its challenges and pain points; it could be the pay which you always pray should improve or the fact that you have a boss who cannot stop being a pain in the ass. So the fact is that most people remain in a job either because the positives outweigh the negatives for them or simply because there are no much options out there to choose from.

However, coping with the challenges of a job has its limits. The unsavoury aspects of your job could get to the point where you are beginning to feel the need to quit. Just when is it time to leave your job and move on in search of better things? We explore below signs to know when you should quit that job and look for something more fulfilling to do with your life.

Please note that these are just signs that you have overstayed in a job and can differ from person to person depending on an individual’s ambitions/goals and endurance levels.

You Find It Difficult to Prepare for Work Each Morning
You are obviously not sick or suffering from any physical handicap yet you literally struggle to pull yourself out of the bed each morning and get dressed for work. Your motivation level for the work is at ground level zero and it is all you can do to shuffle in to the office every morning.

One of the most precious things we have in life is our time. If your time is spent forcing yourself to spend 8 hours or more doing a job where your whole being would rather be doing something else then it’s time to really sit yourself down and weigh your options. Do you really want to get on like that? No matter how difficult and unexciting your job is if you no longer have the slightest motivation to get to work everyday it’s probably a sign to call it quits.

Just be sure you plan your exit way ahead of time.

Your Boss is Totally Against You and Out to Fry You
A certain banker was barely two years into a job when a new manager came and began to like her. She turned down his several advances and that was the beginning of working hell for her. Work turned from okay to horrendous (few things are worse than having to contend with an angry and lusty boss).

Your boss could become a monster for several reasons apart from sexual ones. Both of you could develop hatred for each other for tangible and non-tangible reasons and it could be so bad the boss is determined to have you disgraced.

If your boss has enough powers to make life miserable for you at the office then you should probably plan and (that’s right) quit.

You Are Being Harassed/Mistreated or Taken Advantage Of
This is a no-brainer but obviously the fear of being unemployed means many employees sit tight in their workplaces and endure some form of mistreatment or harassment. Well, this depends on your personal conviction not to be treated less than you deserve. If the harassment or mistreatment becomes an issue that troubles your mind then it’s time to move on.

Your Real Career Desire is Tearing You Apart
A friend who worked in a bank one day decided to let me know she couldn’t continue working as a banker anymore. When I asked why she wanted to quit her job she replied,”I’ve always dreamed and wanted to work in community services and human development oriented settings and I feel the years are going by without me achieving my aim”

She got to a stage where she had to tell herself to go for her dreams rather than make do with her bank job. She knew that leaving her banker job and going to work for an NGO would mean a lesser paycheck but she was determined to follow through and do something more fulfilling for herself.

If you feel too strongly that you are in the wrong career path draw up a plan to change into that which you desire.

The Next Paycheck is as Unsure as the Weather
Sometimes you just have to quickly find another job and leave when it becomes obvious that the organisation you are riding on is headed for a disastrous crash. If you are regularly owed months of salaries with no signs of improvement or hope in sight you should be making the jump.

1. tiredofmyjob

September 10, 2013 at 11:30 am

I really need to quit my job!!!!

• Paul Eze

September 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Quitting a job isn’t an easy path so be sure to have your next line of action well spelt out before you throw in the towel. Goodluck

2. Couture By Makioba

September 10, 2013 at 11:36 am

This was totally me…. I have so moved on to my beloved career since this January….

• Paul Eze

September 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Lucky you!

3. MOS

September 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm

LOL! this was my story just less than two months ago. A UK returnee with all my confidence and swag. Next thing I’m working for this one man bully who is so horrible!!! Motivation to wake up and go to work was level Zero. Started having nightmares and anxiety attacks. My confidence and self esteem was being siphoned away by the nasty boss’s berating comments and embarrassment in front of clients and fellow staff, Although they equally got their own end of the stick. I thought to myself that “babe you are better than this”. I knew I had to make a change before things turned ugly. So I did it the Oyibo way. Lol. Even though I had no other job (albeit several non-promising applications in the bag) I typed up my resignation and handed it to a very shocked boss. Everyone thought I was crazy saying I should wait till I get something before resigning. I knew what I wanted. I knew my worth and had back up plans to acquire skills if nothing new came up. In any case I didn’t have to go down that route. GOD came through for me and I got a new job triple times better in pay and work culture in a Nigerian based UK company!!!! Somebody shout Halleluyahhhhhh (hahhahha ok, I just had to do that). God has given you the power to choose as well. Choose wisely. Take the risk but always have a back up plan. My back up plan was to be healthy and alive and take up skills acquisition courses so I can start a business. Staying on would have broken me completely and eventually made me ill. If you die, somebody else will take the position. People will cry for you for a few months and move on. Everybody’s situation is different though. Some people have families dependant on them, some don’t have enough educational qualifications to gamble with, etc. Those were the choices open to ME in my situation. Your situation might be totally different. The main koko is “do sometain (in chigurls voice)”

• maz

September 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm

haha! You sound just like me! Had a similar experience.
      Came back from uk too with all self-confidence just for the
      nigerian workplace to knock it out off me. After 1 month I just
      carried myself away because the mental torture, the antagonism..it
      was just too much. That was when I knew that peace of mind is the
      most valuable thing when it comes to work. I’m now on the path to
      the career I’ve always wanted. Not there yet but I definitely much
      better about things.

• Sweetheart

March 18, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hi, I recently relocated AGAIN for a new job as this was a NEW opportunity, all seem good and glittered as I was promised a salary I finally can work with although I deserved much more the base was fantastic. To my demise (making a LONG story short) Within the first month I was sexually harassed by a couple gentlemen I was NOT fond of nor attracted to, that was hell, given the fact I was afraid to mention it as I thought it could cause me to lose my job being new and mentioning it. After a few weeks I couldn’t take it anymore and properly reported it, since then I have not had anymore issues. But it didn’t stop there, maybe this was a sign from GOD that this place is not it, although I knew this place was only a transition stop, I too have real bills and financial obligations. It has been a few months and since then, my excitement has turned into dragging to get out of bed, ( I have a long commute -I mean a MEAN traffic commute) and hoping I’m not asked to do more than what any person can handle (which is not the case lol) . The tasks that I am doing is a real life 3 person job, it hasn’t even been 6 months and I am burning out. SO apart form a long commute showing dedication, I can work from home but they like to see me in the office so I travel. I deal with diva personalities, now there are always different personalities at work but who says I have to be a punching bag or tolerate BS as I am NO rookie, this is not my first rodeo and I am experienced, intelligent attractive and have a sense of direction ( I know what I want and what I will NOT tolerate, considering I have tolerated more than the average person female/male). This place is becoming beyond over rated and I’m not sure I like what’s going on- regardless of what’s “going on”, office politics, the pay that I was promised (as I addressed the second month) no longer applies, so I was duped by false promises and good talk from the boss who hired me. I was tossed in as my skills (resume) are fantastic but when he came down to paper it lacked the correct dollar signs. Life is NOT about money but you sure need some to do some talking and to survive this vicious world. I am at a place of needing to jump ship but this time I feel as though waiting for another job to bite before I quite is actually out of question, I am trying to stay patient but its not working, im not focused as much, im pist A LOT, im over ir- just over it, I actually lost all motivation this month and I am trying not to let go before I need to, I don’t want to “shoot myself in the foot”, but all along I CANT STAND THIS PLACE, what a JOKE. I must say I love the President of the company but that’s because his character is very different from the ones on the floor. Its not personal its a lifestyle, and working double hard for peanuts is over rated. My superiors are characters..meaning they are not the best to work for…the expectations are ridiculous and Im impressed they are set so high but I am not an animal, and im not a machine, I work about 50 hours a week not including the 2hr commute back in forth each day-I am burnt out and have no time for personal care(dentist, doctor) this place expects blood sweat, tears, love and life time and I’m not willing to give that up anymore- way too much time is asked of and the work is never over, in a sense that there is no way it can be, its too much. I hope God will bless me with something better and I can be encouraged to move on past this place. I reached out for guidance and found this page to see if there was any affirmation as to how I knew I was really ready to go and if I should, and I have been aspired to know that moving on can be the BEST thing, I deserve to be happy, planning my exit is what I’m struggling with, any advice?

• Derek

March 12, 2015 at 4:23 am

I guess god gave you the terrible job too? I must say, it’s 2015. Get out of the superstitious shadows. Time to put “god” away with Santa, and the Easter Bunny. YOU DID IT ALL BY YOURSELF. Good for you! Ditch the security blanket, and be proud of what YOU achieved. At the very least, don’t try to tell me that YOUR god did something for US.

4. Heeba

September 10, 2013 at 1:43 pm

And move to where????

5. Nikky

September 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

It is not an easy decision to quit your job when you are in your 40s and have no back up cash.

• jcmem8

October 17, 2014 at 12:22 am

Come on 40s is still young, don’t believe that crap that they only hire 20 year olds. Take my advise find a job before you leave, I left a job once and it took me 5 months to find another so money was tight to say the least . Good luck and God bless.

6. Shorlarbarjor

September 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm

B4 quittin, b sure 2 av a backup plan o (plan B).

7. Adeleke

September 10, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I support the topic – You’ve gotta quit if you feel you are on the wrong job
    However, have sufficient funds to keep you going for at least 6 months and a back-up plan (In fact plan A, plan B and plan C).
    Most of all seek the face of God.

• Derek

March 12, 2015 at 4:26 am

Enough with your god-fearing drivel. IT IS UP TO YOU AND YOU ALONE, to sink or swim. Honestly, get a clue!

8. Chu-Chu

September 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

True!!! i am working on may back up plan now…i am excited about it..*winks*

9. July

September 11, 2013 at 9:59 am

Every morning when I open my eyes during the work week, my heart sinks at the very thought of having to go to my job. It takes all my energy to move my feet off my bed and onto the ground to get the day started because I hate my job that much. One day I will get a chance to pursue my dreams but until then, the bills have to be paid and I have to go to that dreaded office in order to get the means to pay them.

• Derek

March 12, 2015 at 4:32 am

I feel much the same, that is why I’m on here. Some of these religious foks seem to be so ready to dispense all-knowing wisdom, they’ve forgotten what got them on here? Anyway, I quit a job once. Just said to myself “this WILL NOT do” and quit. I think back now on what seemed so daring and crazy, and feel great for sparing myself all that misery:) Best wishes to us all!

10. Nicki

September 11, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Pls I need to leave my job. There is no hope for progress here. It’s sad.

11. baby

September 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm

i dunno how much i can stress this – ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP
    PLAN BEFORE LEAVING YOUR JOB. my fiance felt this way about his job
    early 2012 and against my repeated advice, pleading and
    suggestions, one beautiful morning, my man just picked up his
    phone, called the HR manager and resigned (over the phone). he
    thought he would get a job almost immediately. now over a year
    later, he’s attended countless interviews, a few tests and he is
    still job hunting.

12. Grace

September 11, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Reading peoples comment i just smh bcos i thought i was alone in this mess called a job….sometimes i wonder is just our Nigerian business men/women that are wicked and heartless or its all over the world:(….i hate my job sometimes i pray i dont commit suicide,(its that bad)bn here for 6yrs with this wicked pple called humans. All they care about is themselves,u cant save(on how much?)no pension,no leave,public hols not observed,no benefits of any kind…..its just damn too crazy.I have told myself,weather i have money or not,come january by God’s grace i wont resume with them…Enough is enough.

13. Mzlyrics

September 12, 2013 at 4:34 am

I smh for the Nigerian job market. Really ‘one man’ businesses are a hot mess! I was in this same situation a few years ago and it was not pretty at all. My self esteem was plummeting fast and i knew i had to do something. My boss screamed at the slightest provocation. I left for Christmas holiday and never resumed there the following year. Weigh your options people and in all, protect yourself and your self esteem.

14. Babygirl

September 16, 2014 at 5:01 am

I feel everyone’should pain on this topic.. I have worked a retail job for the last year been threw two acquisition with this company, been passed over on management ( but I trained Noth mangers brought in) and now I feel beat. I started my own company on the side 3 months ago.. it’s not doing bad but not where I would like it yet.. I have saved 3 months of bills. Wanted to wait till I had 6 but I’ve had enough.. looking to give my two weeks this Friday. I agree have a plan B but don’t let your job kill who you are. For me it’s time to get my life back.. Good luck to all and thank you I’m glad to know I’m not the only one..

15. Babygirl

September 16, 2014 at 5:03 am

Sorry for my typos

• Derek

March 12, 2015 at 4:33 am

Sorry doesn’t cut it.

16. kikelomo

September 11, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Dis is serious ooo,i thought am the only one in this shoe,buh ma own case is differ,if at all I quite my job nw deris no amount of money dey will pay me in another place of wrk dat will satisfy me,i never thought dis wrk can be like dis,to quite d job is nt jst easy and if at all I eventually quite where will I start frm I only have NCE,,nd am tired of d wrk am doing nw

17. Kkm

January 11, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I think we just have to move forward and do what we derive joy and pleasure in. It is very true we all need money to be alright but money can not buy us joy and satisfaction. Don’t die doing what you hate it is better suffering and doing what you like than forcing yourself to be happy doing what you hate. I wish you all best luck.after reading this article and your posts I now understand better. Thanks.

18. Babs

March 22, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Candid advise please
    I am so confused right now, i work as a sales personnel and though this isnt my first job, i quit on d first because the stress was just too much and sometimes salary wasnt coming as a result of poor sales but i got this new job bfore i quit on the first….i am not finding fulfillment anymore nd i wake up each day tired of the work…..i have an handwork that have just learnt but my customer base is still small….i seriously want to quit nd channel my energy on my business, i undeestand that it may not be rosy in the beginning but my parents nd even fiance doesnt want me to quit….

19. Isreal

June 3, 2020 at 8:45 am

Honestly you might not be happy with your job but in a country where getting NYSC placement you have to lobby, how do you take this risk?