News

Gov. Rotimi Amaechi: “The Problem is We Have Chop, I Chop Institutions in Nigeria” | Exclusive Excerpts from Mode Men’s Oct/Nov Issue

Rotimi Amaechi - October 2013 - Mode Men Magazine - BellaNaija

Rotimi Amaechi, the Governor of Rivers State covers the October/November issue of Mode Men Magazine.

Looking sharp in a grey blazer with green embroidery, a white shirt and black velvet bow tie, he speaks candidly on leadership, Nigeria, family and politics.

BellaNaija.com has exclusively obtained excerpts from the interview. In August, the very out spoken Governor boldly aired his views on Nigerian politics on BBC’s Hard Talk (Click here to watch). Once again, he is saying it like it means it.

Rotimi Amaechi - October 2013 - Mode Men Magazine - BellaNaija - 01

On political disagreements – Someone told me that “they will use Federal might against you” but I don’t know what “Federal might” is. When you are fighting a political war, it is a political war and it means you disagree; but they act as if they are fighting a war against another nation.

You don’t command forces against citizens. It should be against other nations. Institutions in Nigeria are personalized. It’s the same thing with the PDP.

The pro-Jonathan people today will sing another song once a new man comes along. The problem is that we have no institutions in Nigeria. It is “chop, I chop” institutions that we have.

On quitting politics for his children – I would like to quit politics to spend time with my children, but they tell me “Daddy, it’s too late. We are all grown up now. Don’t quit because of us. If you want to quit, you can; but we shouldn’t be the reason”.

On plans after retirement – When I retire, I will become a farmer or teacher, but first I will go to school to get qualifications to teach.

The full interview is available in the new issue.

The new issue also includes a list of nominees for this year’s Men of the Year Awards. They include Steven Keshi (Super Eagles coach), Tony Elumelu (Investment exec), Ice Prince (Rap star), OC Ukeje (Actor), Audu Maikori (CEO Chocolate City Entertainment) and media personality Olisa Adibua.

Biola Alabi (MD, M-Net Africa), Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author) and Mo Abudu (CEO Ebony Life TV) also make the Women of the Year Awards nominees list.

1. Okechukwu Ofili

October 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Just fix the roads…fix the port-harcourt roads and then I will listen to what you are saying =D

2. Okechukwu Ofili

October 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I hope the Magazine will have some pictures of Port-harcourt in it =D

• Duke Donald

October 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thank you jare! Like he no dey follow them chop! Hiss.

3. Hurpeyeahmie

October 23, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Abeg make we hear word jor All of una na thieves na the one wey day break on wey we see na him everybody including armed robbers go dey call thief. And bros rest no be you go tell us say na chop make i chop out government be we self know wicked people

4. CC

October 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Guess you were one of the many fathers that never had time for their kids.Yes your children are right,,it’s too late unless you want to do that for your grand kids.Think about what you have done for your state and make amendments.Chikena

5. law

October 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm

ameachi abeg make we hear word u no be part of the govt hw far

6. koks

October 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

True that

7. Anon

October 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Pots and kettles. Same colour.

8. Kenny

October 23, 2013 at 3:47 pm

All what this fool is say is bull crap, he is strongly involve in the chop i chop system in Nigeria he is criticizing here. I know somebody who front for me him personally. This dude comes to the US and spend Rivers money like theres no tomorrow. Its only God Almighty who will punish these Nigeria leaders trust me, they will die slowly unless they change and focus on the ordinary Nigeria who are suffering and who elected them to make a difference.

9. Iris

October 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm

It constantly amuses me how these politicians, with the help of the media, take the most obvious things the average Nigerian knows and try to make it sound profound. So apparently the concept of “chop, I chop” is a revelation to us. We didn’t know this before… So THAT’S Nigeria’s problem! That’s a bloody shocker is what that is. mtchew

• laide

October 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm

lmaooo..yeah thats the latest discovery oo!..we never knew!

10. Kenny

October 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm

@Iris, God bless you. These spin masters who think they are leaders, think Nigerians are stupid.

11. ms lala

October 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm

smh….really tho…WAO!!!! i swear we didnt know you chop
    i chop was our problem….oga sir thank you for letting the secret
    out ….ps while your there telling tales by the moonlight do quick
    and remember the Port Harcourt roads

12. deb

October 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Chop I chop syndrome, Please rotimi is it because u do not chop or you are reminding us that chopping is going on in government? Preacher practice what you preach. We all know you are all choppers *bigrrin*

13. H's boo

October 23, 2013 at 10:54 pm

shut up and sit down young man. I hope he leaves rivers Government soon. I am tired of him and his oversized ego along with his allies….

14. Okechukwu Ofili

October 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm

If he chop, I no even send like that. As long as he is even trying in office, but he is not doing anything. Poor roads. I am sure no hard questions were even asked during the interview, gosh I miss Jon Stewart and Bill O’Reilly all we have are soft journalists. But we will get there sha.

• ms lala

October 24, 2013 at 3:49 am

IF he chops and he’s trying !!!!!!!!!!!! Ofili this aint your week mehn…seriously its getting cold out here and the fireplace at my crib is calling your book…you do know that’s how it mostly starts each regime steals more than the previous regime and did less work than the previous hand…really tho smh…

15. Tosin

October 24, 2013 at 6:23 am

Hmm, I get upset when I hear “the problem is” or “the problem with Nigeria is”. It’s a waste of my time. As an adult, as a resourceful and resource-gifted human being, (and especially as a person in office), you’d better have moved on to that to touting problem-solving actions that you’ve taken and explaining the results obtained, otherwise again, don’t bloody waste my time.

You go to a doctor, you’re still there in bed rolling in pain after five hours. Doctor checks in every hour and says, the problem is the nerve endings in your brain, the problem is your stomach has bacteria. You shoot the doctor straight, right?

Same thing. In Yankee, this is how you say it. “Statistics have shown that 10 percent of people die of …” or “We have tried … but not succeeded for the chop I chop institutions…” THAT IS ONLY PART ONE OF THE SENTENCE. Then you’ll hear Bill, Barack, Hillary, whoever say “AND THAT IS WHY…” like “And that is why I have for the last four years instituted/borrowed/halted/ordered/…”
    This is the minimum I expect from everybody, not just politicians.

16. anon

October 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

look at this clown.. Rivers state gets 3billion dollars yearly and we have just 4million people in Rivers state… yet nothing to show for it.. this guy that was a poor church rat… i knew him when he had nothing… career politician but for politics u would have been selling fish in the market.. now ur saying chop i chop.. who is doing the chopping ? God will punish all of you politicians.. in short the day is coming when the ordinary masses of Nigerians will demand their pound of flesh.. ask the Portuguese.. never in their wildest dreams did they ever thinK anGOLANS would one day rise up against them… we shall see…

17. befi

November 3, 2013 at 1:19 am

U pple are so ungratefull and wicked,evn dat mans mother is crying 4 ha son 2 share rivers money but he has refused rather he says d’money is 4 d’pple,upon all d’roads he has done lyk slaughter road and mani more u dint see rather u pay him back with insult,may God 4give u all,……my dear governor ride on with ur queat 4 true democrcacy……u guys has jus shown dat u dnt lyk good tngs,Godforbid!!!

18. Cindy

November 26, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Oo pls shut up at befi!! Amaechi is a rogue and they all are, what is chop I chop! Is he nt d biggest chop I chop king .. Rubbish