News

Éjire: What the ‘8’ Does to a Woman

My name is Éjire. Keeping healthy has always been key for me. I strive to eat right, and I exercise regularly. Unlike many who complain about the challenges of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, this isn’t at all a painful process for me.

I have been a UK size 10 almost all of my adult life, even at periods when I felt that I had over indulged and needed to shed some weight, I still remained a size 10. I recall that an ex boyfriend once told me that if I wasn’t so short, I would have been a supermodel. Although I later found out that he was slow to truth, I believe that he was being truthful about that one thing. I had the figure of a supermodel which I got from my mum (you should see her, she’s hot). I had what Nigerians call the figure “8”!

In the last couple of years, I faced health challenges that can be blamed solely on the devil – not that I intend to go spiritual on you (for those who mind so much). Till now, I still feel more at ease blaming the devil for what happened to me because as I said earlier, I have always been healthy till about five years ago while I was away from home, on an internship. Although Doctors, Scientists and Realists say that mine was simply a medical condition that occurs in many African women, I beg to differ. Surely, Mr. Devil must have had a hand in it.

Due to my touristy / restless activities, I lost quite a bit of weight therefore it was easy for me to notice a hard-ball-like-bulge by the side of my acquired six-pack tummy. I was terrified. I initially wondered what it could be but was quick to determine that it had to be a fibroid since I had heard so much about it. Once I self-diagnosed the problem, I managed to enjoy the rest of my internship experience and looked forward to seeking medical advice once I got back home.

I showed my father the “hard ball” and he sent me to a doctor who examined me and indeed diagnosed fibroids. He quickly recommended that I should undergo surgery, but I didn’t like the sound of it. Recognizing my fear and reluctance, my father sent me to another doctor, a friend of his in the UK for a second opinion. As I love to travel, I thought that this “fibroid situation” was beginning to turn into somewhat of a blessing! That was my own silver lining or so I thought.

My fears were allayed when the doctor gave me statistics that showed that fibroid in African women was common. Not that I wish my fellow women any ill but it sure felt good to know that I was not alone. He also told me that I would not require surgery since I was not in pain, or bleeding excessively, or about to get married, or planning to have children at that time. This was a great relief! I did not want to be sick. I kept the faith that the problem would be resolved quickly one way or the other. As the Nigerian would say, “God dey”!

About a year after my first diagnosis, the fibroids really started to grow at an alarming rate – so much that I had to abandon many of my clothes and I just stuck with a few that could hide my tummy. This new way of life was seriously cramping my style because I love clothes, fashion, and I was beginning to miss my perfect “8”. Little did I know that I had just begun the horrid journey.

Months went by and my tummy continued to grow, to the extent that people started to me ask me if I was pregnant because the fact was that I could pass for an 8-month-old pregnant woman. Coupled with the growth in my stomach, I started to break out in pimples on my face. On a bad day, I could wake up with five painful ones on my forehead and another five on my cheeks! They said that I got hormonal because of the fibroids. Naturally, I got depressed. Had I wronged anyone? First of all, I looked pregnant when I wasn’t, and then I had a scarred face with lots of pimples and dark spots. I could hardly recognize myself in the mirror. I did not want to step out of my room let alone my house and questions from friends about my health made me even more upset. I felt trapped in this new body. I had lost my figure “8” and didn’t feel so much like a woman anymore. I didn’t feel like Éjire. I was lost.

I started to see beyond the physical. It seemed like there was a force that intended for me to be depressed, lost, and sick, to look old beyond my years, and to be undesirable. After sulking for several months, I decided to get a grip and to take the bull by the horn and fight for my sanity! I started to look into my mirror and declare that I am beautiful. I dared the devil to do his worst! I vowed to be happy, and to rock my world… every bit of it. I put aside all the clothes that no longer fit and shopped for clothes that could hide the deformity in my body. I decided not to wear makeup which just clogged my skin anyway, but to leave the pimples and scars open to fresh air so that they could heal quickly. I asked myself at this point – what’s the worst that can happen? I again heard a voice tell me that I would be ugly, miserable, and alone. That voice said that I would never again look like the chic I used to be, that no man would ever want me, that I would remain unhealthy… it said a whole lot but in my response, I called on my Creator to restore all that I had lost.

At this point, my mum was particularly worried about the state of things and kept fussing that I should book a surgical appointment to get the fibroids removed. Hard as it may be to believe, I had developed cold feet! It’s amazing how at the beginning of this journey, I couldn’t wait to get my figure back but later, I got used to a bad thing. I had done some major shopping buying clothes to hide my big tummy. I had gotten the boldness to show off my pimple-face and no one seemed to be complaining so I guessed it was OK. Little did I know that they were not complaining because they just got used to the not-so-perfect Éjire. After all, no one really is perfect.

Since mums have the power to make things happen, I found myself booking a surgical appointment with a Specialist UK doctor that I had been referred to by my previous doctor. After a couple of appointments with the supposed lifesaver, he started to exhibit some racist tendencies while showing alarming incompetence. He would say one thing today and then go back on his word the next day. This got me worried. Wasn’t he the Specialist that he claimed to be?

My dad stepped in and recommended that I go to see his colleague and friend in Ibadan, Oyo state. Did I hear Ibadan? I had envisaged doing the surgery in the UK, US, or some other fancy place with some hotshot doctor but not in Ibadan! My dad was convinced that the doctor is as good as they get, and I trust him. God really has a sense of humor doesn’t He? At times, the solution to our problems lies in the most unlikely place. After a couple of consultations with my Ibadan doctor, the date was set for the surgery. With my heart in my mouth and a lot of prayers, I went under the knife.

Two and a half months after – here I am, healthy, strong, and pimple free… I guess the hormones are no longer raging! I have begun to wear the clothes that I put away when I could not fit into them. Although doctors say that I need to gain a bit more weight because I lost 7 kilograms in just two weeks, I have my “8” back and I feel more confident as a woman! The devil (or whatever you may choose to call it) has been put to shame.
I found the solution to a huge problem very quickly, in the most unlikely place. The weeks in that hospital in Ibadan were very uncomfortable for me indeed I have been told that I make a very bad patient, but it was well worth it. I learnt many lessons the hard way.

Photo Credit: weheartit.com

1. Dammy

November 14, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thank God…..

2. Hurpeyeahmie

November 14, 2013 at 11:48 am

hmmmmmmmmmm i don’t know what to say seriously let me wait for others to comment before i say anything

3. sandra

November 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

too long to even read………….

• Emirates

November 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My point too

• Lois

November 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

You should cover your head in shame. You and @Emirates. Your parents should be perplexed at this point. This informative and educative piece written in simple words to long for you to read? nah wah! No wonder WAEC/NECO said most of you failed but your dumb ads parents will easily pay for expo for you and send you to private universities where 10% will come out with a phony laughable 1st class. If nah Tuface or Wizkids gossip now, it won’t be too hard for to digest. Well your parents are comfortable with you going into Nollywood or ‘Musicwood’ or even ‘Afrocandywood’ so far you bring money home. Shame on you

• aunty

November 14, 2013 at 3:15 pm

this comment is unwarranted… too hostile.

• Que

November 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I don’t know about the delivery being harsh, but Lois’ s
      msg is necessary. What’s too long to read here? And I’m guessing
      these r adults complaining…. mba nu! #step up ur reading abeg….
      at least if u plan on someday forcing ur kids to read, write n
      excel at school,, it’ll be better to do so frm a place of
      understanding what it is like to just try focusing for different
      lengths of time..

• slice

November 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

it was actually worth the read. try it. you may like it

4. eniola

November 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

inspired! I thank God for your life Ejire.

5. asgrl

November 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’m a bit confused……actually a lot confused….

6. pynk

November 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thank God for competent hands. It would have been better if
    she had told us her age. A lot of women have fibroid and don’t
    openly talk about it. I commend her!

7. efe

November 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thank God.All we have, are and would be is indeed a privilege

8. meah

November 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Nice write up. The moral for me lies in the very last section: you dont know the value of what you have till you lose it. Thank God you learnt that lesson in a not-so-horrible way.

@Hurpeyeahmie: The WHO recently revealed that not having a mind of your own is a disease which, if left untreated, can lead to fatal consequences. I suggest you go see the Ibadan doctor…

• Hurpeyeahmie

November 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm

@meah u need to see the doctor more than i need to ode oshi
      amebo

• AA

November 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

LOLOL….you are a horrible child

9. bella

November 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Nice piece. But I am also a bit confused; so how did the figure ‘8’ work for her in this case?

• AA

November 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm

That’s what I was thinking. I thought it was a positive post about surviving fibroids but this chick is more concerned about her figure 8. Please, let me take this opportunity to implore Nigerian women to be less shallow and miopic about themselves and look at the bigger picture. Obviously, God wanted to use this sad even to teach her not to be so self-focused on her looks, but what happened, she went right back to focusing on her figure 8. We Nigerian women need to challenge ourselves more. Life is not all about beauty, weaves and fashion, ABEG!!!

• Que

November 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Ahn ahn sister AA but how does loving one’s figure equate to God gracingbhervwith fibroid to teach her a lesson….if u put ur judgement aside n just focus on herb4 n after attitude to her body u might have seen dat she learned to b thankful for something she had always taken for granted n felt entitled to…. what makes u believe it is God’s will for women to be unhappy with their bodies??? He gave some pple figure 8, he gave others strength, he gave others sweet tongue, n so on, all in unequal measure.. which ever gives u confidence- be thankful for it n use it for good not evil…simple. if this isn’t positive to u, I suggest visine to clean ur eyes well n read again wit an open mind.

• Ronke

November 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Thank you Que. I read the comment and thought huh? Did we read the same article. If I can guess AA must be a size 12 or 16 because I can almost sense the weight envy from her. Plus sized women always find a way of making skinny feel bad and vain for loving their bodies. From a size 6 who my fellow women have made me feel bad about my weight for a long time, I recognise the claws. If anything this article is about appreciation, never taking anything for granted and how much your physical appearance can affect your psyche when your body lets you down. AA go on a diet dear and exercise. Stop beefing

• slice

November 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

she loved her figure 8 and it made her feel good about her looks, then fibroids came …..

10. Laminde

November 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Ejire i have missed you plentyyyyyy… let me go and read now!!

11. Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous)

November 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm

12. Blackgold

November 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for this write up,i was diagnosed with fibroid some
    months back and like you said,i transitioned from having a perfect
    shape,flat tummy and smooth face to looking like i was five months
    pregnant(the doctors word actually),pimples and the whole drama.I
    actually was wondering what was wrong with my whole body.Thanks for
    sharing this,I feel now exactly how you felt.I will have to go book
    a surgery now.

• Miss G!

November 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Please don’t just book surgery without being sure that you need to do it. Several people have died from this surgery.

• slice

November 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

in the hands of a competent doctor, fibroid surgery should be fairly routine (there are exceptions to every medical case, but it’s usually a quick out patient affair). point is those people didn’t necessarily die from the surgery. they likely died from incompetence.

13. Grown Woman

November 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thank God for you Ejire,Wow, i never thought fibroids could
    be ths bad.,God is great.

14. Ebele

November 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I’m happy for you dear. So many things we take for granted in life, are actually very important things. we thank God for his mercies upon your life. The devil is a liar and a loser.

15. ty

November 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm

im happy for u but truth be told i am confused…will wait for comments

16. Lami

November 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hmm, Ejire, Thank God for your life. It is important for Ladies to know that fibroid now happens to women below 30, sadly but true. I had a pelvic scan recently and discovered i had fibroids. Although they all said don’t worry, the biggest is only about 2.6mm which is really small and most women have and live with fibroid. I was scared to death and have tried not to worry. But at what point am i suppose to worry. Thoughts that keep coming to mind is ‘ do i go for a yearly scan or what’?

17. CYNTH

November 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm

my own view is;why didn’t you remove it at the earlier
    stage instead of waiting for it to escalate to this level.sorry all
    d same but one must learn to identify issues early and tackle it
    head on,come what may!!!!!!.

18. Monica

November 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hi Ejire. I’d love more details on your diagnosis and
    treatment (surgery in Ibadan); can I reach you by email/telephone?
    Thanks.

19. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

With every sense of immodesty, I have a body to die for. I am not the Yvonne Nelson kind, more Mercy Johnson pre pregnant bod with swag you learn at the Queen’s court. Since childhood, I have suffered one skin disease after the other. Coming from a line of doctors, it was a difficult pill to swallow (no pun intended). Sometimes the ointments would even escalate whatever infection I was dealing with at the time even though they were prescribed. I have had some eczema like patches on my face for about 3 years that was caused by one of this ointments. Earlier in the year, I had chicken pox (of all things) that left some keloid like scars I started doubting if it was truly chicken pox. Since July, some rash has appeared that has refused to disappear. It just bunches up in a spot then turns black. Have I mentioned that it also itches like mad? Sometimes I catch myself mindlessly scratching away in public. I also have eye issues that my doctor says may herald glaucoma. I’m not even thirty and I have to worry about going blind at some point in my life. Most days I don’t give a rats ass. Other times I just want to lie down and hide. I have even actually toyed with the idea of learning braille. Doctor says there are surgeries for this sort of thing and “I’m like really, you don’t say?” ( accompanied by this hysterical evil laugh in my head).

I dress up every morning, with them warts and all while blindly reaching for my glasses and we go out and have a fabulous day. I said “we’ because I see them as my companions, my cross, the stiches that make the fabric of my life’s story more real. When they become burdensome, I report them to God and he deals with them. But its not these physical ills that keep me awake at night, its the one’s on the inside that no one can see. I fear hell pass anything!

P.S. I absolutely understand your UCH situation. That place needs some government and divine interventions.

• slice

November 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

wow that’s a lot for one person. but your sense of humor is
      definitely still intact 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Atta girl! You may be down but nobody’s counting you out right now 🙂 I love your strength of spirit and please keep looking into your options with the doctors, that issue with your eyes sounds like something to take care of as soon as you’re able. I hate surgeries though, detest ’em. But we thank God for living in this age of advanced medical science… I pray that restoration and healing will be two things you testify about really soon.

• Mae

November 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hey hon, do some research on “Filariasis” with regards to the ‘rash’. My older sis had something that sounds really similar to what you’re describing when we were much younger & apparently this is what it was. It eventually cleared up but i think she had to use a steroid cream for a while. Best of luck.

• whocares

November 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm

woow. you are legen .. wait for it, DAIRY!!! I love your comments on BN always funny and insightful and if you didn’t say this, I would not have known about you and your soon to be “not companions” by God’s grace. be strong.

20. laura

November 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

the girl on the picture
    is she not the american plus sized model who died soemtime last year or was it thsi year coz of an embolism following knee surgery???

21. PP

November 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for sharing.. i remember how i felt when i had the worst breakout ever! my face was so irritating! spots and pimples on to pimples somtimes i had to cover my face with a scarf! prior to this i was your proverbial belle of the county. My dad was worried my mum would cry her eyes out. i felt so ashamed. only God saved me from depression. so dear i understand what it feels to be beautiful and overnight the ugliest girl in the room. Thank you Jesus

22. [email protected]

November 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I put myself in your shoes and though I don’t have your figure 8 body I caught a glimpse of how you must have felt, from once being totally healthy to suddenly having something growing in you, which changed your life as you knew it. I really thank God know, I’m going to ignore the voice in my head that feels your a tad shallow and just focus on thanking God for you. I pray you never have another tale of woe to tell. Amen.

23. Sarah

November 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I discovered that I had fibroid when I was pregnant with my first child at the age of 30. I was reassured by O&G doctors in the UK that I could give birth through normal delivery without complications and there was no need to remove it. I have since had a second child, also through normal delivery. I feel no pain, but being aware of the condition has made me more health conscious. I watch my diet and also exercise regularly. The surgery to remove it involve a lot of blood loss and personally I won’t advice anyone to remove it unless its painful or prevents pregnancy.

24. BubblyBliss

November 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing and I thank God for restoring you to good health. I can’t help but feel something is missing from the story. I don’t know. What did the figure 8 do for you? The story needs a little more flesh.

25. Modella

November 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

But would have really love to see the real Ejire ,would have love to see weda it figure 8 abi na Coke bottle shape..More often than not we worry too much about how we look and how people are going to perceive us,I’m one of such,I want a picture perfect me,I get worried when I get a little spot in my face..I love the complement I get,but beneath those compliments,who knows how I go extra length to achieve them..The media are not helping matter,gorgeous women are constantly shoved in our face..I just can’t wait to get old where and when all my worry will be cast away!

26. Yinkz

November 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Well, wat can I say. I am in my third trimester now and I was diagnosed wit fibroid during my first pelvic scan. To say I was scared shitless is an understatement. Not only that, I learnt a few things and the first radiologist advised I don’t remove the fibroids yet since they aint degenerating(I have like 3 small ones). She also advised I give birth as much as I want and then take out the fibroid once I know I am done with childbirth. Another option is for me to have a Ceaseran and take out the fibroid with my baby, but then my fear is the fibroid does grow again, what if it grows again? Sumtyms, I have severe lower abdominal pains caused by the fibroid that I may not even be able to walk for days and the doc says it has to do with the foetus and the fibroid fighting for food/blood(cant rmbr the jargon he called it). Its nice to know that there is an Ibadan Doctor sumwhere who is an expert and may be able to provide expert solution since I may not be able to travel out nor afford the cost. So if Ejire doesn’t mind, could U please share the Doc’s contact with us.

• Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous)

November 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Hi, there’s a Dr. Tony Marinho in Ibadan. He’s an Ob/gyn. I don’t know if he’s the same person though I strongly believe he’s the one. I was referred to him some years ago, though thankfully it was nothing.
      St. Gregory’s Clinic.
      Address:

124 Old Adeoyo Road, Yemetu, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.

Telephone:

+234 813 056 5012

+234 2751 2177

E-mail:

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Yinkz

November 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Thank U Ma’am….All penned down…Appreciated Much!

27. laura

November 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

am pretty sure am correct … i loved her style so i know am correct ….the article is great ..but an article on a website like Bella Naija should be done right ….its almost plagarism….not really but u know what i mean

28. jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hmnn Uterine fibroids…the story of my life. Like Ejire I blamed the devil too…lol. I had been perfectly healthy lekpa shandy until I had a miscarriage and from there fibroid began. Doctors told me if it doesn’t bother you, leave it alone. Honestly at the beginning, I had no symptoms except for inability to conceive. Fast forward 2 years later, and the thing had grown to a 4mths preggers look alike, pimples, weight gain, excessive bleeding, etc. Finally went under the knife and removed it and now have my life back. I thank God everyday for the gift of life and healing. There are other options apart from surgery like Uterine fibroid embolization which is minimally invasive. So please ask your doctor which you prefer. I had to do surgery due to the size and number of mine and have a beautiful scar to show 🙂 My doc was excellent! Also had minimal loss of blood. But I hear Nigerian doctors are supposed to be one of the best in fibroid surgeries so that corroborates her story of going to Ibadan. Just do your research and do what works for you. Personally, I would say get it out asap. It will just keep growing. Sorry abeg for my long epistle

• slice

November 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

good to hear from you girl 🙂

• jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

aww sweet, sweeter, sweetest slice 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Nne oma, kedu? 🙂

• jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

My luv…I remain loyal. We thank God. I trust you held the fort down wella wella

29. rootwoo.com

November 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

k. thank God for your life.

30. Loma

November 14, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Yay!! I’ve missed you Ejire, now let me read what you’ve written

31. AA

November 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Fibroids has affected too many women in my life and I lost an aunt to fibroids. I am a bit irritated with the writer for diminishing the post to focus on her figure 8. That said, I am very happy she survived it

32. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

@jcsgrl
    pleased to see you around babe and good looking out.

• jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thanks hunnie…always love your comments

33. Nuna

November 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm

If you have fibroid and you stay in Enugu, I recommend Dr Onah of Mbanefo hospital. This has to be the best doctor I’ve had the privilege of meeting. Like Ejire I had fibroid issues and I was dealing with the confusion of surgery or no surgery. All the while I was having sever anaemia because I was loosing so much blood from heavy periods. I was so scared but I decided to have surgery. A family friend recommended the doctor and my surgery was so smooth, it was unbelievable. I don’t even have scars because the suturing was flawless. Although it was expensive, it was money well spent.

34. Ejire's great fan

November 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm

To all who are irritated and or think the write is shallow, Im confused! Every woman has a right to love or more of their features and to miss it if it gets overtaken by an ailment!
    My guess is that you are either not reading the post right or youre just beefing.

35. culturebedamned

November 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Fibroids is not such a big deal as I feel you are making it out to be. African women are prone to fibroid more than any other race. Truth is most African women have fibroid the issue is whether you have symptoms or not and the symptoms are at best inconvenient. It’s only a big deal if and when they are impacting on your daily life or quality of life and it’s only in very very rare cases that fibroid leads to complications. The symptoms also vary from woman to woman. some have heavy and painful periods, some have hirsutism , some easily become anemic, some gain weight, some don’t and some don’t even have any symptoms. I never gained weight with mine just a rounded tummy which I put down to too much chinese and KFC. I have always been a UK size 8/10 even with the round tummy. My symptoms are annoying hairs on my chin, heavy and painful periods, nothing which paracetamol or on a bad day ibruprofen couldn’t deal with. I had horrible pimples from the age of 11 to 21. Don’t have them anymore except the odd one just before my period. Even with these symptoms, I didn’t realize I had fibroid and my in this instance my not so dear mother didn’t deem to have me checked for it considering she and her two sisters have had fibroids removed in the past and one has had a hysterectomy. I only realized when my tummy was so bloated for a couple of days and while feeling my tummy to check why it was so bloated felt a hard lump. Off to the A&E I went where the doctor looked at me like I was silly for not realizing I had fibroid??????? He said the fibroid caused constipation sometimes hence the bloating and he gave me some laxatives and referred me to the consultant. I had my fibroid removed when I was 27. Mine were so big that the consultant prescribed lupron to shrink them 3 months prior to surgery in order to perform keyhole surgery instead of myectomy. However they didn’t shrink enough so I had a myectomy but was out of the hospital in 3 days, back to driving in 10 days. (Shouldn’t have really 14 days minimum the doctor said ). You can check nhs.uk/conditions/Fibroids/Pages/Introduction.aspx if you need more info

• culturebedamned

November 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

May I also add like a few people have said here that you
      don’t necessarily need surgery unless they are seriously affecting
      you or your doctor says it may decrease your chances of conceiving.
      I had mine removed back then because my consultant felt due to the
      size and position it may prevent me from getting pregnant. I had a
      boyfriend with whom I was talking marriage and babies. Almost 4
      years now boyfriend don waka and the fibroid has not resurfaced. I
      am putting my trust in God because mine is clearly genetic and the
      women in my family who had them still manged to have children. Phew
      sorry for the long epistle.

• Ekwitosi

November 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

@culturebedamned please did the doctor remove both the fibroid and the boyfriend? lol!!!!!

• jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm

True talk @ekwitosi.
      @culturebedamned The niggas loss is another man’s gain. My dear you will have children and find a man who loves you scars and all. I have a cousin’s wife who has huge…I mean huge fibroids but she gets preggers easily, carries them to full term and births giants of a human beings. It will happen for all of us one by one IJN!

36. Bamz

November 14, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I have been most encouraged by Miss G, Sarah & Jesgrl: Thanks for your useful contribution. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroid early this year and my life has not been the same. I have added quite a bit of weight which I cant control and currently look pregnant and I’m really so embarrassed and scared. I feel the ball like lump in my stomach too. @ Sarah it was comforting to know I can have babies and even have a normal delivery too with my fibroids. I have read abt it but it is better to have a real person testify to it. I am hoping I wont need to go for surgery; I have tried taking supplements but I don’t feel much of a difference except that my painful periods stopped but I still feel the lump.

37. contessa

November 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

@Bobosteke and Lara Bian, pls see a cometent eye doctor asap. you dont have to go blind later in life cos drugs are available to halt ur glaucoma so it never progresses. it wont heal but it would be halted and NEVER progress. read about latanoprost eyedrop (xalatan)

38. Bamz

November 14, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@ culturebedamned tks I was also very encouraged by your
    contribution. You made it seem like just having a headache

39. CHA

November 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I really enjoyed d write up. It allows us come out in d open and share our experience and learn from others too. I also had fibroid sitting on my falobian tubes hence blocking my tubes. I had to go under d knive. I remember how scared I was but today I look at my son and I say he was worth it.I use to feel ashamed to share it but with write up like like this I feel that am not alone .I thank God Almighty

40. b

November 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wow. so good to see women you have allowed nutn to hold them now. I am currently pregnant with my second baby, and i am so grateful to God that i am fibroids free.
    I was diagnosed with fibroids about 5 years ago, and believe me it was heart wrenching. I was 25 then and i could not stop thinking, ” God what did i do to deserve this, why me” e.t.c. I got married two years later and i got pregnant almost immediately, but the pains during the first trimester was hellish, pains i wont wish on my enemy. I was in and out of the hospital every week, taking pain killers in all forms, drugs, injection, drips. anything to keep me going. Everybody thought i was going to lose the pregnancy. i surrended to God and i was ready for anything that was coming. After the 5th month, the pains stopped and i had an uneventful remaining 4mnths.

My doctor actually told me that i could not have the baby naturally, but i just kept the faith and trusted God. Alas , at the end i delivered a healthy wonderful baby boy without cs.

After i had the baby, people were still calling me iya beji bcos the fibrroid was dre like a 7mnth pregnancy. i got tired and had surgery to take it out once and for all. They were 3 big ones.
    I know my story is long, bt i hope i can reach out to pple like me who are so scared, and they think fibroid is the end. Its not, pray about it, follow your heart and dont let anybody make you feel like you are less of a human being. With or witout fibroids, you are a superstar.

41. The Real Madam the Madam

November 14, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I liked this article and don’t find the writer shallow. The point of the article was summarized at the end with this: “For one, I learnt that health is wealth indeed. I also learnt to love regardless of physical appearances. I learnt to cherish life a lot more, and to thank God for my new beautiful figure and my perfect face. I had once thought that beauty was my entitlement but now I learnt that it is a gift that must never be taken for granted.
    To all women who are still rocking their figure “8”, “9” or whatever works for you, don’t forget to thank God for it because it’s a privilege and it does wonders for women.”

@Bobosteke, I love your attitude (and your comments). You and your companions indeed. Definitely get that surgery done though. You don’t have to go blind.

42. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thanks to Mz. S. A. whocares, slice, and mae definitely
    checking on the filariasis. I hope to share great testimonies
    soon.

• Mae

November 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Amen sweetie. & you’re very welcome. 🙂 *hugs*

• jcsgrl

November 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Dearest please dont be ashamed of all your “companions’…lol they make you who you are. I actually love my scar. I’ve got pimples on my face and I wear it without makeup. Occasionally I cover up but most days I say make up be damned. You are beautiful and perfect just the way you are and your healing and wholeness shall be complete too

• Mae

November 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

You & me both!!! (re the pimples & acne scars) I’m not gonna lie, most of the time i don’t use make up it’s cos i’m SO lazy i just can’t be bothered to slap it on. But by & large i’m kinda comfy with it. i’ve had it for so long anyway i don’t remember what it looked like before…*side eyes myself* Lol. 🙂

43. Onye

November 14, 2013 at 5:22 pm

What a load of nonsense. You developed a medical problem
    which is genetic. Grow up.

44. kind anon

November 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm

God bless you for this article. My ‘small fibroid’ diagnosis almost led me to marry who I knew was the wrong person so I could quickly have kids before it got worse but I decided to hope in God instead. This is something that makes me cry and blame myself but I have no choice but to put myself together, work on my diet and be optimistic. I am happy to see comments from women who have fibroids and have been able to conceive. God bless you all! I am hopeful for my case as well.

45. JO

November 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

To all who are going through this The Lord strengthen you. Nice article.

46. SANDRA

November 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Mehn this is a great and lovely piece! I love the openness! Not many are this bold to talk about their personal health. I t actually helps to give courage to others who are suffering in silence.

47. fibroid ain't a death sentence

November 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Ladies while you are discussing fibroids pls check out polycystic ovaries (pcos) as well. They share most of the same symptoms and the weight gain mentioned here is more consistent with pcos.

48. frances

November 14, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Thank God for keeping u all through the period Ejire,thank God for a sucessful operation and thank u 4sharing ur story.I av a friend who has fibroid and its growing.she doesn’t want surgery and is stil praying abt it,she is scared.
    I forwarded som stuff here dat I felt would help her.thanks again for sharing,dis was needed.

49. Bi

November 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

I hope I am fibroid free oooooo. Thanks for sharing y’all

50. Agatha

January 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Ladies, thank you for sharing….

51. stbbabe

January 5, 2014 at 1:25 am

Very encouraging piece, I thank God for your healing and may it be permanent in Jesus’ name! I also had fibroids some years back. I noticed I was gaining weight, weeing frequently, having some weird abdominal pains and then the showstopper (pun intended) finding sex extremely painful. Ha! I had to go to my physician sharp sharp. This is me, lying on the examining table and this is him, casually poking and prodding me all over. And then just as casually dropping the bombshell- “you have fibroids”. Followed swiftly by “it’s very common in women of African descent”. I was like HOLY SHIT? You could have at least allowed me to sit down and gather myself together before breaking this bad news to me. Turns out it was all unnecessary fear on my part because within two weeks from that date, I had a myomectomy (the Gyn surgeon said mine were the size of a 20-week pregnancy), got out of hospital 5 days later, was driving 2 weeks later and back to work 6 weeks later. I have an almost-invisible smiley scar to show for it and I love it. It is a reminder to me of God’s love for me because even though I was and we are often made to feel that the surgery is not complicated, I know a few people who have gone in and not come out. May their souls rest in peace.