News

Kunle Afolayan: “I Have Really Lost Hope in Nigeria” on Glo Endorsement Drama & Division in Nollywood on Sahara TV

Kunle Afolayan - Sahara TV - March 2014 - BellaNaija 01

Must Watch. Following his open letter a few days ago on the deplorable state of the nation (click here to read), Nollywood actor, producer and director Kunle Afolayan gets candid in an interview with Sahara TV.

Kunle gave the scoop on division in Nollywood, the country’s state, the real deal on his Globacom endorsement deal, family and more.

Check it out!

1. dapotinz

March 20, 2014 at 3:14 am

His movie is always on point….

2. Someone

March 20, 2014 at 3:27 am

Its a mutual feeling hun, some of us never even had any hope in Nigeria to begin with.

3. oola

March 20, 2014 at 3:37 am

Good Interview!!!… Loads of insights into ‘Nollywood’ and the Afeez “Etisalat-MTN porting Bruhaha”

…Reminder: kennybrandmuse.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mtn-vs-etisalat-who-really-ported-our.html

4. Ricky

March 20, 2014 at 6:01 am

You could transcribe a few quotes from the interview, you know.

5. @edDREAMZ

March 20, 2014 at 6:46 am

This dude must have really regret being a nigerian….. sorry man…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. Addy

March 20, 2014 at 7:16 am

you spoke my mind hun!!! i am really tired of this country. If i had an alternative i would have been out ages ago.

7. nene

March 20, 2014 at 8:53 am

some people seem to have no hope in nigeria only when the situation directly affects them. when it hits them, they start remembering all that’s bad in nigeria,but when the going is good, they are okay because at the end of the day “i’m doing fine, so it doesn’t really matter”. nigerians have no sense of patriotism, but most tend to be nonchalant. but then again, i guess not everyone is an activist. nigeria/nigerians need to learn a lot from germany/germans…that’s how you build a good country and good citizens.

• AMY

March 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Nene, I thank you for this comment. Tired of Nigeria? Tired of your father’s house? Tired of your family? Tired of your village? Goes on and on . . . . . . . Just because of “whatever”, you are tired. What have you done to build it up? We all talk and do nothing. How do you think others built up the “supposed” utopia in your desirable society? It pains me that the average Nigerian does not know what patriotism is. So, when we all hate Nigeria, who do we leave it for? Is it now that you think things are not going your way that you want to pack up and go? I hear people talk down this our country so much, it boggles me where and how it started. The people running our country are the same people from our neighbourhoods – brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, other family, neighbours, classmates, etc; and I bet you some of them may have felt the same way at some point or the other and when they get there? The worse is everyone wants a piece of this our so called national cake that no one cares about the ranting public the minute they start grabbing pieces. The problem is with us. I believe in my country and I proudly swing my nationality wherever I am. All those who rant about this our country, what have you done to make it good for you and others? Remember, none of the “utopian” societies built themselves. Are you willing to sacrifice for that society when you get there or do you have the mentality of going to grab what has been put in place and do a runner? I am not standing brief for anyone but just saying as it is. Moaning will not help, action will.
      Sorry for the rants . . . . . I have a lot more to say, but I will spare you all.

• nene

March 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

amy thank you very much. i agree with you. i am freaking tired of people complaining only when it affects them personally. other countries have citizens that have died fighting for their rights and for a better society, but nigerians just complain and complain, thinking the best solution is to leave the country. nigerians are all the same, whether in government or selling recharge cards on the road. kunle made millions from his movies but he wants to live big and he just realized his debts are piling, making one or two blockbuster movies does not a millionaire make, you have to pay your dues in the film industry, and kunle has had a very easy journey compared to other actors and filmmakers in nigeria. all of a sudden, he just realized he’s in debt and now he’s tired of nigeria. which country gave him money to rent his house and buy a car? the same nigeria. if he thinks he’ll make money abroad as a filmmaker, he better just sit back her because hollywood is congested, there are a lot of hungry filmmakers and actors in america.

• Onye Ara

March 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Your comment is very misplaced. For the singular reason that you cannot accuse Kunle of not contributing to the country he is claiming to be fed up of. The man has paid and is still paying his dues in a massive way to the celebration of our arts and culture. If anyone has earned the right to complain he is one of the few.
      Additionally, you cannot take away the right of individuals to be fed up. It is a right that cannot be taken away in a free society. If your endurance level is such that you are willing to put up with twice the poo we are in, more blessings to you.

8. oaa

March 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

Insights-FULL Interview!

9. Onye Ara

March 20, 2014 at 9:10 am

I lost the bit I had a long time ago.
    My only affinity is the passport which I carry for travel purposes.

10. Onye Ara

March 20, 2014 at 9:37 am

Kunle, God will honour your hustle.
    Lesser men would kneel and lick baba’s ass for the sake of a little porridge. Afterwards,they will use instagram pics to harass our lives after licking that obese ass.
    Keep your head up and your light will continue to shine.

11. bidemi

March 20, 2014 at 10:33 am

God dey!

12. sassycassie

March 20, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Nigerians tend to forget that countries like the US et al weren’t always great- at least not for black people. If the Martin Luther kings, Andrew youngs, Rosa Parks, Marcus Garveys, Malcolm Xs had lost hope and given up instead of fightitng for justice and freedom, none of us would be able to enjoy a lot of the western countries.

NENE said it well: ”some people seem to have no hope in nigeria only when the situation directly affects them. when it hits them, they start remembering all that’s bad in nigeria,but when the going is good, they are okay because at the end of the day “i’m doing fine, so it doesn’t really matter””’

13. Shazy

March 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Really loved the interview. Quite enlightening…. Loved the part where he said the biggest is yet to come. Great work. I have seen “Phone Swap’. It’s one of my favourite movies. Keep up the great work Kunle Afolayan. Met him and interviewed him. Nice fella.

14. sassycassie

March 20, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Just watched the interview from beginning till end. OK, I understand where Kunle is coming from but I still maintain that we can’t give up on Nigeria completely.

15. Gee

March 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Insightful interview. I love how candid he is and his willingness to share his knowledge. I had the opportunity to meet him in Atlanta a few years ago during the screening of “The Figurine”. Awesome and inspiring fellow! Wishing him all the best in his current and future projects.