News

Let’s Talk About It! Do Nigerians Like Buying Movies Like This? Watch “Island Babes” Trailer

Island Babes - March 2014 - BellaNaija

Here at BellaNaija.com, we LOVE movies.

And BN Movies & TV prides itself as one of the leading platforms promoting and supporting box office magic both locally and internationally.

On a daily basis, we get many requests to consider their trailers for a possible feature.

A movie theme that has been reoccurring is showing the lives of the young and reckless ladies of Lekki, Victoria Island, Abuja and Port Harcourt.

And although many people complain that they are negative, more and more of such movies are being produced; a lot sent straight to DVD while a few make it to the cinemas.

It definitely raises the question; do Nigerians like movies like this? If not, why despite criticism are the movies selling out via distribution channels.

Watch the Trailer and Let’s Talk About It!

1. Marc Francis of Chelsea

March 14, 2014 at 10:55 am

If you notice, most of these moves centre around women. They are made because Nigerian men (and some women) don’t like to see rich, successful women. When they do, they like to imagine that, “it must be blood money,” or my favourite, “she’s clearly a runz girl.” It beats their imagination to understand how a young lady can live a posh life without putting her cooch to work.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

March 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

movies*

• Iris

March 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm

That’s the answer in a nutshell. For a split second I thought I saw Hilda Dokubo, but they didn’t include the cast in this hot mess of a trailer so I’m not sure. Please say it ain’t so.

• AA

March 14, 2014 at 1:50 pm

True, very true. Successful women are such a threat to the average Nigerian man, hence the stupid movies

• Ada Nnewi

March 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I couldn’t have said this any better….

• gia

March 14, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I never saw it that way…i just thought that nigerian filmmakers just have bed taste,but it could be very true…

• ogeAdiro

March 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Nna ehn! Everything is the Nigerian man’s fault. I am befuddled.

• Angel

March 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm

@ Marc Francis Chelsea, I don’t think its cos Nigerian men are afraid of successful women that these type of movies sell, as far as am concerned I don’t think Nigerian men see women on top of their game as threat, maybe some do, but most don’t, cos how do u explain our men that are into relationship with and some even go as far as marrying women from other nationalities and cultures (I mean oyibo) cos I see that a lot. It’s well known fact in some countries, (am not gonna mention names) that Nigeria is the only African country where men finds it very easy to date chicks of other nationalities, and when u consider the fact that these chicks frm other culture don’t regard or respect male folks the way we do, u will agree with me that our men are not really scared of women per se. So my theory for why these movies are popular with “some” Nigerians is cos it’s reality. let’s face it, most Nigerians live fake lives, or aspire to..everybody wants to drive posh cars, live in fancy house, have the best stuff money can buy without having any solid career or plan to live this type of life. Infact the average Nigerian do not understand that to be extremely wealthy or successful comes with a price, u have to put in enough effort, creativity, whatever depending on ur career path. Why do u think religion aka church business flourishes in Nigeria? Or why our govt keep stealing money, even moving money into foreign accounts? Year in year out, nothing is done about it, it’s same story, it doesn’t matter who takes over the position. It’s simply cos most pple re clueless, nobody knows exactly the way forward. yes there are successful women who made their money genuinely but am afraid most chicks in Naija are into runz cos that’s the only way they know and most pple sadly in this 21st century believes they can live fairy tale life by magic. Let’s begin to tel ourselves the truth. Sorry for the long write up, couldn’t help myself…..

• sigh

March 15, 2014 at 4:14 am

Pls help yourself because all you said shows your lack of understanding. I don’t even know where to begin. Just read more books.

• kola

March 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm

isnt it then ironic that nigerian women are the number one consumers of nigerian movies? so if women control the demand, and to a large extent the supply (there are more A-list actresses than actors) how do interests that are SOLELY male chauvinistic being serviced?
      my point is, u have failed to prove a point but utter an unfounded opinion.

• Angel

March 15, 2014 at 12:27 pm

@ sigh, if u were referring to my post, I think u re the one that needs to stop reading those romance (mills & booms) novels as well as watching way too much movies, so that u can differentiate between reality and fantasy dear….

• Lolo

March 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I thought Marc Francis of Chelsea made it clear that this kind of reasoning was held by men AND women. He clearly said “They are made because Nigerian men (and some women) don’t like to see rich, successful women. When they do, they like to imagine that, “it must be blood money,” or my favourite, “she’s clearly a runz girl.”

Not all men or all women but some from both genders

• kola

March 16, 2014 at 12:23 am

@lolo, d thing is marc francis of chelsea said “…Nigerian men (and some women)…” That phrase lasan means that Nigerian men are the number one culprits. and from my knowledge, African film is clearly a female-dominated scene. it seems very unlikely then that male chauvinistic interests will be served. its just bad bad bad for business.

2. Troll

March 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

Uhmm…I don’t think these movies actually sell out; it’s just hype.

3. Vanessa

March 14, 2014 at 11:01 am

Most Nigerian filmmakers follow a particular pattern. When one starts with a theme/title about LOVE. All follow suit, Love this, Love that. Now that one started with Lekki wives and babes, all other producers have discovered babes and wives of other locations. It is the Nollywood factor. I actually think that Nigerians don’t mind buying movies like that. Those who mind don’t buy and don’t watch.

4. SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 11:14 am

1)The people who complain about the themes are not necessarily the ones who are buying the movies

2) DVD sales have been dropping like crazy in Alaba for a while now so dont believe the ‘my movie sold out’ hype. A lot of these movies they make are released on Youtube and other video sharing sites and they make money from adverts. These ‘Blackberry babe’ type movies cost peanuts to make. Anyone with a Sony camera and final cut or Avid or some other editing software can make a movie these days.

3)The fact is movies like this have their audience as with every kind of movie genre.; Nigeria has over 160 million people living in Nigeria alone and millions more in Diaspora. And let’s not forget other Africans, Caribbeans and
    African Americans- that’s a huge market! .Sometimes it’s not so much that they enjoy the movies as it is a way to escape boredom and be grateful their lives are not shitty as the girls’ in the movies. it’s the same reason some people love ratchet TV shows too.

I wish they’d stop making crap like this and calling it Nollywood. It paints Nigerian women as bird-brained materialistic jezebels and our men as egocentric monsters with no self-respect- not a good image at all

5. Sue

March 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

What the entire f$&[email protected] was dat?

6. Tosin

March 14, 2014 at 11:16 am

Can I ask a silly question? The girls were supposed to be unattractive? Cos my taste is such that if I was a dude, I wouldn’t really want any of those women up there. I mean, in a drought maybe. Ok. Help.

• AA

March 14, 2014 at 1:53 pm

If I were a dude, I would definitely NOT PAY to sleep with these chicks. I will have to be drunk or high…ok lets face it, over my dead body am I sticking anything into these chicks

• SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Now you know why they had to visit the Queen mother to become more more attractive.lol

7. [email protected]

March 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

what the hell! this is an eyesore! And No! a good number of Nigerians dont watch such – at least those i know-

8. SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 11:21 am

I just watched the trailer. Chai, so much debauchery!

9. jayne

March 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

what did i just watch? 3 minutes of my life i can never get back… mscheeeeeeeeewwwww!!

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 14, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’m sure Genevieve, Rita, Omotola, Stephanie & Uche are so relieved to have scaled this stage of their early acting careers…

BN, I can’t really answer the question because surely someone’s making these movies for a reason?

• me2

March 14, 2014 at 11:45 am

my thoughts exactly…

11. Hurperyearmie

March 14, 2014 at 11:27 am

mtcheeeeeeeeeew rubbish

12. Alero

March 14, 2014 at 11:35 am

Who the friggy hell are these people????? >:(

13. me2

March 14, 2014 at 11:44 am

woooooow! the writer, director, producer and actresses (cos i don’t see any man) all of them should just sit back and watch the real actors and actresses do their thing. they should not go beyond their remotes and TVs. shikenna

14. MoD

March 14, 2014 at 11:44 am

Shuo!!!! Island babes are classy?! I don hear am today…..hehe

15. http://www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com/

March 14, 2014 at 11:44 am

Believe it or not, some people still live to watch these movies. The majority of nigerian movie watchers do not fancy those made for cinema nigerian movies, most of them (remember that you’re not only looking at ‘posh’ people here) prefer these movies. Because MAJORITY of Nollywood fans can relate to these ones more. That’s why video clubs that rent out only Nollywood movies still thrive. In fact I passed one yesterday and it was very busy. The owner was even complaining about a customer that had held onto one of his movies (all them blackberry babes kind of movies) and a lot of people had “booked” the movie. The man was positively incensed.

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• Bleed Blue

March 14, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Video clubs still exist? Wow…how retro.

And yes I agree with you that some people live for these types of movies, whenever I’m in Nigeria and go to a salon, the hairdressers get so animated and full of life while watching them. Not just the hairdressers, lots of people I know spend their lazy Saturdays heartily consuming these types of movies.

• Energy bill

March 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm

[email protected] naija hairdressers. What is it with them and such nollywood movies? I have had a million and one naija hairdressers in London and every single one of them is into such movies! It goes like this – I get to their house, they welcome me, offer me something to eat/drink and next thing is they insert a nolly dvd (that’s if it’s not playing already). I don’t necessarily watch such movies but seeing that I am going to be there for the next 2+ hours, I watch. The worse thing is when they try to engage me in conversation about the movie. I mean it is bad enough that I am watching it out of boredom but to now start talking about it? abeg that one pass me.

The closest I got to buying any nollywood movie was when I asked someone coming from Nigeria to buy me ‘jennifa’ because of all the hype. But like you said those movies have their target market/audience including Nigerians and many other Africans and I’m sure it is a very strong one. If not they would have folded ages ago.

• babes

March 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm

exactly ma thoughts !

March 14, 2014 at 2:26 pm

@Energybill, I can so relate to the hairdresser/nollywood thing!

16. whocares

March 14, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I try to avoid movies that have “babes” in its title, unless I am drunk and want to destroy some more brain cells, or just plain bored and it is on my youtube feed. I have watched and even enjoyed “Omo Ghetto” (lool. gods help me). There is a fascination with these type of movies. I cant imagine that some people live this way, but behind every myth is a bit of reality right and that is what gets me. I suppose there will be people that will like these movies and buy it for what it is, and there will be people like me that will watch it in morbid fascination and probably still enjoy the heck out of it…
    Personally, I don’t think these movies are a depiction of how people in Lekki etc live. I never trust Nigerian writers to make a proper assessment and deliver a balanced view of things (with exception to the high quality movies of course). I have seen too many stupid movies that portray the writer’s bias and ignorance so really low budget movies are not the best way to highlight societal ills.

• nene

March 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

every filmmaker wants to copy “glamour girls” and “living in bondage”;now these 2 movies were just too good, hence movies like “abuja connection”, “blood money”, “boys cot”, etc. i remember “girls cot” with genevieve, rita, ini, and uche, it was also the same type of story, and i didn’t enjoy it. i disagree with the first commenter, i don’t think they make these movie with that in mind, they also have the male versions of these movies. i won’t watch/buy a film like this because the storyline has been over flogged, and they still haven’t found a way to tell the story in a creative and interesting way.

17. Hannah

March 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm

i already have a headache. God why did i watch this? ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

18. Busarni

March 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm

All female cast??

19. Vanessa

March 14, 2014 at 12:35 pm

It’s been long I heard “video clubs”. I thought people buy. Didn’t know renting is still in vogue.

20. Viv sal

March 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Razz

21. cleo

March 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

OMG! Hilda is this what life has reduced ou to? wowww
    what did i just watch, lol there’s trashy and there’s this.. taking women a hundred years back. smh

• onyi

March 14, 2014 at 9:53 pm

yeah Hilda Ukadike right? like bleached out wanna be star, i couldn’t believe she was the one, after coco mansion i thought she was really going to make it in the industry, but this is just sad.

22. Cat on a hot tin roof

March 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I don’t watch crap like this but there must be a market for it. Matter of fact, I rarely watch Nigerian movies because even when I do see the one or two that I think look decent, accessibility is always an issue. It’s all thanks to youtube and Irokotv that I’ve seen any at all.

23. i no send

March 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I feel shame for nollywood for allowing this utter crap

24. Cool cat

March 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm

As long as the industry is run by Alaba boys, nollywood will continue to be a joke

• SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Until the Govt and private investors start investing Nollywood, they will keep turning to the ‘Alaba boys’ for funds.As much we’d like to critisize them the truth they actually helped Nollywood expand. They were willing to put money where other ‘posh’ investors refused to. They took advantage of the opportunity. Virtually all of the old Nollywood movies from Mortal Inheritance to Deadly affair to Out of bounds were funded by ‘Alaba’ boys .

25. Nikky

March 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Am so angry wth is dis and pple still watch dis? cant beliv i took out tym to watch d annoying trailer….Ngerians dou must all our moveis be just babes,blood money and killing? URRRRrrrrrrr wat willl the young ones learn from such movies?

26. goldfinch

March 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I can’t believe Moyo Lawal agreed to be a part of this. I thought she was above this.

27. Ibinabo

All with local ascent

• SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 3:46 pm

*Accent* you mean. #Local spelling ;p

30. dudu

March 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Insipid dialogue, full of debauchery masquerading as movie, toss into the nearest trash please

31. Obi

March 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm

These exist because people want/ buy them. Real housewives of (insert American city) exist because a good number of Americans and others want/ watch them. They have become celebrities for doing what? Nothing. As someone pointed out, there are over 160 million Nigerians and each has a taste/ preference; whether taught/ acquired/ forced or just bored and looking for distraction no matter how silly. I’m still deciding whether or not to click play here (I guess I will, I have 3+ mins to spare) … I really don’t think these movies make it into mainstream media. There is so much to watch on tv these days that many people end up never watching some things others do. Tinsel for instance & Adam’s Apples – I remember asking my sister inlaw whether she was watching it and she gave me a blank look.

32. new bride

March 14, 2014 at 4:41 pm

And some joker will start talking about how Nollywood is the 3rd largest movie industry in the world!
    Absolute rubbish!!!!!!

• SASSYCASSIE

March 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm

It’s actually the second largest movie industry in terms of quantity. Like it or not, there’s a market for the movies

33. SOMMY

March 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm

oh my! Hilda wtf?! blawd! RATCHETNESS AT IT PEAK! LIK FACK! I CNT DEAL.. LEME REMAIN A MAINLAND BABE OR A VILLAGE GIRL…. THANK YOU

34. phatgilrzbwinning

March 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Let me be the first to admit that I used to love watching these kind of Nigerian movies…until 2 years ago when my hubby introduced me to Yoruba movies , and then I ventured on my own into the village setting movies …which are more comedic. Now i can not stand to watch these o so stereotypical Nigerian runz girl movies anymore. However, we must admit that movies are a depiction of ones reality…so someone out there is definitely living this lifestyle…just seems like too much work for me.

35. Lupitanicious

March 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

retitle “Mgbeke Razz Babes”

36. Lupitanicious

March 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

typical nigerian movie – Medicority at its best. Going NOWHERE!!!! mschewwwwww
    This is not acting, the girls are all real life razz

37. mizsunshine

March 14, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Please where they pick those trashy gals from?

38. DjDMA

March 14, 2014 at 7:03 pm

ANOTHER NOLLYWOOD TRASH JUST WHAT I EXPECTED

39. Demmy

March 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Lmao I love movies like this simply because their very funny and quite entertaining. xx

40. Tru

March 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I miss TV programmes like Checkmate, Palace and Fortunes. Wholesome viewing with actual content. Grateful for Tinsel 🙂
    Sad that Nollywood isn’t bothering to take a cue from them. Still, I guess it’s the golden rule of Economics in action here: “As long as there is demand, there will be supply!”

41. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

March 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm

OH NO…….!

42. SOLO ACT

March 14, 2014 at 9:51 pm

This is why i watch yoruba movies! they are actually interesting! they dont spend 15min dancing. ps where did they buy their wigs? they look like clowns

43. NNENNE

March 14, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Every successful Nigerian woman is either a prostitute, runs girl, or diabolical.
    In modern times, a woman goes through school just like a man. They are as intelligent, hard working as man. Those of them that are brave enough to get into politics are called all sorts of names.Why is it impossible for Nigerian women, especially single ones to be successful?
    When Chimamanda Adichie talks feminism people will get upset!

44. Amh

March 14, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I prefer to watch the Yoruba movies which makes more sense, better acting and no horrible girls. Why churn out the same story. Leaking has been turned to the headquarters of runs girls. It’s hideous to live in leaking now. No wonder my friends are moving out to I koi. I now know why. Why continue to make useless runs movies with horrible girls. Try the YouRuba movies please. They are. Far better than the rubbish Hollywood with crazy storylines

45. Amh

March 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I wonder why this silly iPad keeps changing my words. Haba, am a Nigerian you are not. Please mind yourself nutty iPad.

46. Hot sumtyn

March 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Moyo Lawal can never be in a reasonable movie why? Someone must have tied a big stone to her leg to slow her down according to Burna boy

47. Pynk

March 14, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Its simply s reflection of society. Many “successful” babes do runz, they may just not be as tacky as these ones here. Afew of the women that BN readers oh and aah about are high priced call girls. Lets leave the sanctimonious attitude alone. As for Nigeria, thr country’s soul is in the dumps, so i dont see why these movies come as a shock to anyone who lives here.
    Note i have not in anyway said there arent hard working and legitimate women – because i am one.

48. Bev

March 15, 2014 at 2:14 am

There is an audience for these movies, both in Nigeria and Internationally. Not my thing, but it is putting food on some people’s table and keeping someone’s anger and stress level low.
    For a lot of people abroad, Nollywood has shown them how other black people live and they LOVE it all – the good, the bad and the voodoo.

49. pd

March 15, 2014 at 5:16 am

‘Razzly’ wild!

50. Non professional opinion

March 15, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I don’t subscribe to the ” nigerian men are to blame theory”. As someone else mentioned hair stylists and those of that ilk do not joke with these films and this is what they want to see. Stories like these explain the disparity between them and the “island big babes”. These people work extremely hard, for very little and no matter how many hours they put in they never get any near to the luxury cars or homes they see all around lagos. These movies are a salve for the masses. Of course you don’t have an x5, it’s because you are not ready to see the queen mother. You still live in okomiko, it’s because you have not used your unborn children for money. Now they can rest easy and content prepared to accept their lot in life because even though they are poor they are not like the depraved rich who are prepared to do anything for money. And the status quo remains in place.

51. i must talk

March 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm

LOOOL the movie is so bad they had to dance for one minute in the trailer. that hideous make up! performance is terrible! the sound? DEAD!

52. Amh

March 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm

@pynk. You are right, most if the so called adored classy girls are high class prostitute With penchant for fake designer bags. Let’s be realistic, nija babes are cheap, and ready Gondi whatever it takes to live In a bubble. That’s why other African girls come to nija to do runs. With the inflict of ritualistic and gory story of human skull I fear. The runs girls they no be small.

53. love

March 16, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Instead of complaning think about d moral lesson fom d3se type of movies which in my opinion is to work hard and not d shortcut in life b.cos shortcut are bad

54. Uk

April 8, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I only watch the new nollywood movies of Desmond Elliot ,Uche jombo,Emem Isong etc if the movie is in two parts and not dvd I’m not buying