News

Which Way Nigeria? Tragedy Strikes As Stampede at the Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment Test Centres Claims More than 10 Lives | Minister Reportedly States ‘Impatience’ as Cause

Every time someone says ‘East or West, Home is Best’, it is with sadness in our heart that we echo those words. It is with a lot of sadness that we report the news of the lives lost yesterday around Nigeria. The deaths arose from the stampede ensuing at the different test centres for the National Immigration Service recruitment for 2014. With over 56,000 applicants present before 7 AM and NO provision made for crowd control, the ensuing stampede ended with more than 10 persons dead and many more injured.

According to Channels TV: “Unconfirmed reports say that 7 persons may have died and several others injured following a stampede at the National Stadium, Abuja.

This Day Newspaper reports: “The employment test for recruitment into the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) conducted across the country Saturday turned deadly as stampede at three centres claimed the lives of 16 applicants and left scores injured.

Eight people were feared dead during a stampede at the National Stadium Abuja, five lives were lost at the Liberation Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt, while three applicants were also feared dead in Minna.

However, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed that seven people lost their lives and 40 were injured in the stampede in Abuja.

According to reports from people who went for the test, they were charged an application fee of 1,000 Naira

After this report, we waited for an official statement from the minister and Premium Times reports: Speaking in Jos, Plateau State, where he inspected the exercise, Mr. Moro said the applicants should blame their “impatience” for the stampede and the deaths.

He said applicants refused to follow instructions handed them by the recruiters.

“The applicants lost their lives due to impatience,” he told journalists. “They did not follow the laid down procedures spelt out to them before the exercise; many of them jumped through the fences of affected centres and did not conduct themselves in an orderly manner to make the exercise a smooth one. This caused stampede and made the environment unsecured.

With rising unemployment rates and insecurity in our country, it is hard to see progress, unless we put aside our differences and demand justice and accountability from ourselves and our leaders.

It is truly a sad turn of events. Which way Nigeria?

Watch the report of the events on Channels TV

Another Clip

Photo Credit: nigerianewsupdates.com

1. Sharon

March 16, 2014 at 11:29 am

I f people standing on their feet have no adequate provision made for them, what will be the fate of disabled persons like me looking for job in this kind of situation? I heard of the degrading treatment given to people with SSCE, OND, HND and Bsc holders. Hmmm that means people living with any form of physical disability do not have hope of getting a job in Nigeria even if they have PHD. which way Nigeria? na di one wey concern me I dey talk.
    #walksawaywithmybendbendleg#

• Zeebs

March 16, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Can I just add this? Sharon, you have an amazing spirit and the good Lord will lift you onto high grounds with that disposition to life. I couldn’t help smiling at how nice your heart is. God bless.

• Sharon

March 17, 2014 at 10:25 am

My dear Zeebs thank you oo God has been sooo faithful to me oo. I have never let my disability put me down one bit. I graduated a yew years back and told myself I must work and I did get a good job. I worked for a while before resigning to further my studies abroad. I only feel for those who have allowed their situation weigh them down. cheers love.

• Dr. N

March 16, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I like u bo! Even with d bend bend leg

• Sharon

March 17, 2014 at 10:27 am

Dr. N thanks love for loing my bend bend leg ooo. the leg sexy die you need to see my beautiful leg. anyway cheers. I love your contribution here keep it up.

2. GladiatorInASuit

March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am

Looking at these images brings such sadness and anger to my heart. There is so much desperation out there. All those people were so hopeful that this test was their big opportunity and the answer to their prayers. But with the Nigerian govt being in charge, it is almost inevitable that it would end in tragedy. The response from the govt is just typical. Blame the victims when you fail to take the steps necessary to ensure their safety.

• Anne

March 16, 2014 at 3:07 pm

And yet past presidents, governors etc kids flaunts their collection of cars,watches etc on instagram and blogs. Stolen wealth isnt shameful anymore. The ordinary Nigerian isnt angry enough!

• Bukky

March 16, 2014 at 6:21 pm

How will stolen wealth be shameful when we have blogs that are helping these thieves flaunt their wealth and also silencing the voice of those who dare speak up! This whole country is a shame and like every atrocity that has been committed, this too will be swept under the rug!

• Bukky

March 16, 2014 at 6:22 pm

How will stolen wealth be shameful when we have blogs helping these thieves flaunt their wealth and also silencing the voice of those who dare speak up! This whole country is a shame and like every atrocity that has been committed, this too will be swept under the rug!

• Observant One

March 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Before blogs we had Ovation, Hello, Ok. We can’t place this at the feet of blogs… you know why? Because the blogs sell what people buy! It’s simple economics. If people were not clicking on this ‘Show of wealth’ you think the publicity being given to them won’t decrease?

It’s demand and supply. You guys click on those things. You aspire for it (subliminaly) and you keep clicking.

The minute the people become immune to these things… it will stop.

We all have to look inwards and ask ourselves what we want.
      Look at the posts on BellaNaija— what’s the click/comment statistic on inspirational/motivating stuff? Negligible – in comparison to the fluff that everybody openly say they’re against.

When we’re ready, as a people, we know what to do

• Thomas

May 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Hello, I am a researcher working to help expose corruption and incompetence. Could you do me the wonderful favor of giving me the names of some of these blogs? Thank you very much.

3. Just saying

March 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

Government officials should be trailed and convicted for these murders! What a way to conduct a recruitment test for over 60k applicants. Absolute jokes! Hissssssss

• Soraya

March 16, 2014 at 1:50 pm

You see the reason why many graduates can’t get jobs? You can’t even spell ‘tried’. That said, shame on Nigeria and shame on the government! It is easy to blame the government but the Nigerian people are just as corrupt as their politicians

• eh

March 16, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Soraya,

Wrong place to remind people that some of us are privileged. Is it their fault that the Nigeria education system failed this person?

• Manny

March 17, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Soraya, I don’t laugh when people make mistakes with their spelling, sentence construction, word placement etc. Horrible public school system = adults that cannot spell and that speak bad English.

• Just saying

March 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Ok I made a mistake……don’t be so quick to judge my level of literacy. I will advice you pay attention to the headline as opposed to my grammatical errors. Thanks

4. Rayz

March 16, 2014 at 11:39 am

This is wrong!!!

5. Emy

March 16, 2014 at 11:53 am

After writing NDLEA test some years back, i vowed never to write any mass aptitude test in Nigeria. The pushing dat day nor be here o. See as government de gamble with people lives? They have already taken their candidates. The same thing will happen during Delta State Civil Service test. *watch this space* Gov. Uduaghan be guided sha. Useless Country with Brainless Leaders!!!

• Susan

March 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

That Governor is a useless thief.
      I saw this on Channels yesterday and I was so burnt. So sad how lives are wasted.

• Angry African

March 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I know right. After his stupid daughter will be extorting money all in the name of NGO; deceiving people. (Fools). Even helps her father steal money and save it for him, EFCC is waiting for you guys soon. You shall definitely join your family member, Ibori.
      I’m so angry, young people with dreams will be dying like goats because of our stupid leaders and bad government, yet their children will be spending money they didn’t work for, and they think they’ll live in peace? Funny thing is, these people were freaking poor before they saw money to embezzle, they’ve forgotten their past and are looting money anyhow.
      This country needs help. Serious help!
      And BN, if you like, don’t post my comment, since you guys do APC and PDP with comments.

• Exquisite

March 17, 2014 at 9:28 am

Don’t mind the silly girl. Foundation indeed. Never seen someone that brags about every and anything like her; with stolen wealth. You should’ve seen this girl and her family 10 years ago. They had nothing! Dr. with almost nothing as a monthly salary (Her Dad), before becoming rich overnight, thanks to Nigeria’s corruption.
      Just leave her, all those her newly acquired fake friends will be the same people stroking her by the time EFCC makes a public disgrace of her Dad. 2015 is just around the corner.
      What a sad country.

6. pynk

March 16, 2014 at 11:54 am

The families should sue. I heard these people also paid n1k each for the forms. You wonder which way forward. There are simple solutions to this problem. Don’t call everyone on the same day. Do it by last names and pick letters of the alphabet over the course of a week. Simple and short, something basic so everyone doesn’t show up on the same day.

• nene

March 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

exactly. i went for an audition with my friend once, and the contestants were treated like shit. no water or food and they had to stand in the hot sun for 8 hours. my friend left after waiting for a few hours and we later heard people had come from far places just to audition. some of them were bitten by the security dogs, some fell inside the gutter. why can’t nigerians just organise things in a way that it makes life easy for everyone and treat people like human beings and not animals. eschew

• Sanmi

March 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

cant those people walk away?

7. Busarni

March 16, 2014 at 12:48 pm

A top placed politician owns the company responsible for the scratch card, applicants paid 1k for. No… citizen in Nigeria. Bella if you like dont post my comment, dnt know if you are a card carrying member that at times you eat peoples comment , forgetting we are in democracy and some of us use this platform to vent our disgust at the state of things in our country.
    Bottom line is , the chosen ones were in the houses yesterday relaxing and the poor ones with no connection stood under the scorching sun all in the name of employment. I am wondering if the start off pay is even up to 100k. Kai, poverty and unemployment is a bastard. Future leaders left their various houses yesterday in the hope of employment and ended up dead. You expect their parents to be happy; same old routine. Nigerians will vent for one week or at most two, then the matter dies a sudden death. Nothing is heard of it again. God we look up to you. These greedy politicians forget that with the high rate of unemployed youth, there is no way they can enjoy their loots peacefully.

• Wale

March 16, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Please name this politician(s). They need to be exposed.

8. Sammy

March 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Only God knows when Nigeria will be out of these rubbish.

9. Aderonke

March 16, 2014 at 1:09 pm

This is unacceptable! This is sad, barbaric and unfathomable , kaiiiii.
    It is now obvious without no doubts that we do not have a government. Why would any one in their sane minds conduct test for over 1000pple in a day? Can’t it be done in batches? Haba these are human beings not animals naaa…. haba.
    And some one in the authority held with responsibility to serve the citizens has the effrontery to say it was due to “impatience of the dead”? Habaa where is your conscience Nigeria?
    We can not keep talking once and end it this way, NOOOO my people.
    Even if it does not affect us today, it will affect our children tomorrow.
    We need another resultfull OCCUPY NIGERIA PEACEFUL RALLY! I was part of the first and I am ready again to be a part of fighting for justice and fairness in this country.
    Kaiiii this is sad!

10. israel

March 16, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Driving through the National stadium[abuja] i shed tears! #GodBlessNigeria

11. @edDREAMZ

March 16, 2014 at 1:29 pm

What type of nonsense is that, are they suppose to collect money at the first place… Imptience my foot, they should be held responsible for the live that was lost, that man needs slap and a very big one…. May the souls of the dead R.I.P…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. SuShi

March 16, 2014 at 1:33 pm

There are so many ways to have avoided these deaths . In port harcourt people were sorted out because of their height size or how old they look.Why weren’t they specific in their requirements , pregnant women, 35 years and over , fat, short people need not apply instead they make money off these poor people only to send them out on the test day, hnd holders were asked to write down their names onlu they never wrote the test. A pregnant woman lost her life lots were wounded.# Which way Nigeria#

13. baby

March 16, 2014 at 1:42 pm

President Jonathan at this time i expect u to stand up to ur feet and fight unemployment in this country,d top officials of immigration service deserve termination of their appointment IMMEDIATELY for this tragedy! how dare you! collect money and still take lives , u were aware of this crowd what stopped u from conducting this exam in batches,spread round a month or even 3 months,u saw these people as desperate and decided to make use of the opportunity to extort money! who goes home with the money for forms u fools collected from over 7million unemployed Nigerians! I AM MAD!

14. nene

March 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

nigerians like to treat people like animals. it’s too bad. and nigerians do not know what “order” is. too bad people lost their lives. why do many people want to be in immigration? i don’t get it.

• eh

March 16, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Because when you are unemployed and your family depends on you, you get any job you can get.

With all the money Immigration officials made from ‘scratch cards’ a BN wedding will be featured and we’ll all ‘awww’ at blood money (see Abacha wedding). Extreme situation but this calls for a change of mindset towards our government, they can’t keep playing us like this.

• MaryClaret

March 16, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Omg, I really wish I could hi5 you right now! When I was looking at the Abacha wedding and scrolling and reading all the oooing and aaahhhing, not one person mentioned anything like what you just said. I was just shaking my head. It is really a pity how we celebrate evil sometimes even knowingly….may the souls of those that died in this wickedness rest in peace…

• Iris

March 16, 2014 at 4:58 pm

@MaryClaret people did respond. Their comments just didn’t get posted. They said as much when Sadiq Abacha rubbed salt in our collective wounds two weeks ago with his letter.

15. honeymix

March 16, 2014 at 1:44 pm

That’s the truth, its only formality that they call people for tests. They have chosen their candidates already. And one of such leaders had the nerve to say and I quote ‘this is not the first time citizens would die in an exam.’ Lawd have mercy! There is a state of anarchy, maybe the military should come back into power because this democracy is really leading us nowhere. The unemployment rate in this country is a time bomb ticking to explode so fast.

16. iyke

March 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!
    This is without the consideration of contemplation…or afforded grace. This is the rawness of life’s willing invassion….a blatant assault…measured and delivered…regarded and afforded…often causing pain….so much pain to my nation….a destination…taking place…for those who claim it…it remains….
    My heart bleeds for my country! Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!

17. omoibo

March 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm

At every juncture, Nigeria continues to prove that it’s a failed state! I’m very much an optimist but also a realist, there is nothing of value that’s being offered by the Nigerian government to its citizens. A country that cannot provide its own citizens with the basic necessities and their fundamental rights.
    At every turn you can see the desperation in the eyes of people, people acting like animals because that’s what the government has reduced its own citizens to.
    The government should have had an idea the potential number of people that would be showing up for the test based on the plane number of applications they received and should have put adequate manpower and logistics in place to facilitate a smooth process.
    In a country led by a bunch of VIP aka vagabond in power, you can’t expect anything out of these clowns if it’s not lacing their own pockets.

18. Dammylola

March 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Impatience? Really? Seriously? Impatience?!!?!!!?!!!!!! How much longer should the youths wait to get a job!!!! Jeezzzz!!! Wow!

19. ticking time bomb

March 16, 2014 at 2:26 pm

And some people will be telling me to move back to Nigeria?NOT!! What opportunities are in Nigeria for youths if 2 million people can apply for 5000 positions in a paramilitary agency?

• ivie

March 17, 2014 at 2:51 am

Thank you jare! Thought I was alone with this moving back stories that sound soo fairy tale! Our leaders have failed us no doubt. By 2015 we all should take our votes seriously! Its a pity. Shame to past and present Government who has made Nigeria a hell on Earth! May they reap what they have sown.

• Bide

March 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

My thoughts exactly

20. Warri Babe

March 16, 2014 at 2:33 pm

When I saw the pictures and videos yesterday, my tears were uncontrollable…why???why have we taken suffering as a way of life…..to enter school (JAMB),na wahala…you gain admission(Strikes),wahala…you graduate,no work….I just tire, it’s beyond me. My Ghanian flatmate saw these with me and he just shaked his head, he was speechless. Now I know our case is beyond the physical, it’s now a spiritual problem, we need serious prayers,a revolution, an uprising, a change….I doubt if the president or Abati has said anything about this dehumanizing act. Please, come 2015, biko let’s borrow sense and vote right, see ehn it isn’t a factor of religious,cultural or political sentiments anymore…if na babalawo or Sango worshipper and he will perform well, I will vote for him because how do we explain this? ehn how #sigh#I read Mugagbe’s speech this morning saying Zimbabwe isn’t as corrupt as Nigeria, you see our yansh for outside…someone that shouldn’t even be on the same level with us,saying such against us. I pray for the families that lost their loved ones, only God can console them…and to as many unemployed graduates, please ehn..start something of your own, no matter how small. God bless us all

• Warri Babe

March 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm

*shook

21. Babbie

March 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Nigerian youths, ARISE. Enough of the lamentations. You havethe advantage of #’s. This is your time to take back your country. Stop praying, do something. ARISE, ARISE, ARISE.

• bayo

March 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

how can we arise when we are divided along ethnic and religious lines? na my papa dey there, make him chop, na my uncle, na my kinsman etc. its just so unfortunate.

22. kachi

March 16, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Very sad and unfortunate incident. However, we are the problem.
    From most the comments above, people are either blaming NIGERIANS, the government or politicians. We seem to have forgotten than Nigeria is made up of people, US. We haven’t empowered ourselves as youths, individuals and a nation. The way our politicians behave reflect us..until we take responsibility and stop the blame syndrome things won’t change!

• lakelizzy

March 16, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I so agree with you Kachi. So I ask the question again WHEN WOULD WE NIGERIANS BE FED UP WITH THIS SORT OF SITUATIONS AND TAKE ACTION? I guess more people have to die. Blaming won’t do a thing. MAKE YOUR GOVERNMENTS ACCOUNTABLE TO YOU, PLEASE!

23. Lala

March 16, 2014 at 3:23 pm

And you forgot to state that they paid 1000 Naira each. Do the math

24. Radiant

March 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm

The clock is ticking. Something has to be done about corruption in this Nigeria. Do something about the corruption. Yes, you and me. Do not give or take bribes or cut corners, please.

25. Eve82

March 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

A govt that has this high level of unemployed citizen needs to ask itself some very deep questions. To think that they even paid N1000 each…do the math with the number of people that showed up. They have the nerve to say that the people were impatient??? How about making adequate arrangement knowing the number of people who were going to come? So sad! May their souls RIP!

26. Abiola evelyn

March 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm

May God grant d families of d departd souls d fortitude to bear d lost. I thank God i didnt waste d litte kudi am avin on NIS.dat was y I ignore dir msg out of 520,000 candidate dey nid oly 4000 of wic out of d 4k 2000 wil b appointd on merit

27. Abiola evelyn

March 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm

28. Obi

March 16, 2014 at 4:29 pm

There is a simple and straightforward solution to such poorly planned spectacles. Every year, millions of Nigerians write JAMB, SSCE, other exams. Why not bring the exams to the people? Invigilate as is done with these other national exams, at schools across the nation or selected regions, and then have the agency in charge of the testing pick up the completed papers for grading. My nephew was at the Abuja stadium and he said that the level of people copying each other was unprecedented. Thank God he wasn’t one of those hurt/ dead. As much as thanking God is great, isn’t it time we used the brains and hands that God has already given us to make like better for our communities? And then thank God for that??

29. jinkelele

March 16, 2014 at 4:36 pm

If they were charged 1k then the money from that could have been used to to conduct this exercise in batches based on the numbers expected for each state.

• Iris

March 16, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Why on earth would they do that? Are we in a normal country with normal-brained human beings? No, it’s more likely that an individual was given a contract to supply a service (maybe the scratch cards or the application forms) after plenty of “dobaleing” in Abuja. With that money he or she has hammered (after settling a few officials of course). At the end of the month they will pay tithes from the money and donate a pipe organ to their church. The church will bless them as an upstanding individual and imply that they have bought heaven. The individual will then have enough money left over to buy a flat in Knightsbridge and their children will be featured in the British media talking about how they come to London 6 times a year to spend 10000 pounds shopping because it’s more convenient than going to the States. We will come on here and sing “God bless their hustle but God kill the gays” and life will go on.

• Chi

March 16, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I have never responded to a BN comment but your words captured my thoughts aptly. Thank you

• curious

March 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm

This is the best comment i’ve ever seen on Bella Naija

• Bleed Blue

March 17, 2014 at 11:04 am

Iris…you’re the coolest. Your words…deep! It’s a freaking crazy cycle! And we allow it to happen…sigh… 🙁

30. Marc Francis of Chelsea

March 16, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Oh? Well at least we are locking up the gays so that solves things.

• Fountain of Paper

March 16, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Lol *fist bump* You took the words right out of my finger tips!

Clueless leaders. Even more clueless electorate. We need to re prioritize our ideals. We’re so quick to wave the sword of the Bible when it comes to what people are doing within the confines of their bedrooms. Okay, see mass killing as a result of idiocy and ignorance… we’ll leave it to God… as we’ve been doing since 1960.

The same people who are coming here to complain about this are the same people who are clamouring for a chance to get into these FG parastatals… to chop allowances on a Kentro level.

The minute we can just remove the religious scales from our eyes we’ll be able to see clearly and note that these people are robbing us blind. They’re counting on our refusal to be united – and they’re doing a fine job of it.

Imagine someone saying they voted Le Muppet in because ‘He’s a Christian’. Impossible to imagine that a right thinking person would say that.
      Or you hear stuff like ‘It’s our turn to chop in South South’. The hell are you ‘chopping’?
      *long ass sigh*

• Soraya

March 16, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Thank you my brother/sister, you have captured my sentiments exactly!

• Author Unknown

March 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm

LOL. So true.

31. L

March 16, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I think the HR department of the Nigerian Immigration Service have some serious questions to be asked. Who organises a recruitment test day for 56,000 people?! Defies common sense completely, shame 🙁

• Temitayo

March 17, 2014 at 6:36 am

HR department for where?…..NIS? …even if they have an HR unit, the H will most likely not mean Human, because if it was, they wouldn’t treat applicants like animals, …looking more like animal recruitment department to me tho…..BECAUSE the whole test fiasco doesn’t look Humane to me at all.

32. Obi

March 16, 2014 at 4:48 pm

As for the youth and the state of the nation … there are many other solutions. But the problem remains: who is ready to work hard from scratch? Many bright minds and many great ideas. Some don’t need much capital … just land and manpower and some market savvy/ guts to push your market/ someone with a strong business sense. Most of the jobs being sought after are white collar jobs. The rest are considered the poor-man’s-alternative. But imagine what will happen to our communities when youth all over the country can band together, raise small capital and start small road construction businesses, demand that govt grant contracts fairly, and then go ahead and renovate/ build some of our roads. Sounds too unrealistic? How about that piece of land your uncle or dad is about to sell … convince them to sell to you, start a fish farm or some animal farm and sell healthy meat to your local community and perhaps even start a meat processing company. The advantages of being self employed are numerous. The risks are there too, but its about time we risk something to save our sanity. America is always using “small business owners” to kill or raise bills in the congress. At least there are small businesses to even talk about. Instead of depending on daddy to give me pocket money, why can’t I go out there and start something that will give me more than pocket money. Something that will take away my dependence on daddy for sustenance … the case of Nigerians and their Leaders. Once we prove to those in govt that we can do for ourselves what they have failed to do for us, then perhaps they will see us as relevant and we will really have a say in how OUR country is run.

• Dr. N

March 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I really love your comment. The fact remains from childhood we are groomed for salaried jobs. The average American child starts selling lemonade for a profit from a young age. It is difficult to change the mindset of the youth now. We have to start again to teach entrepreneurship. Some parents who owned a biz and failed, encouraged their kids to go for fixed income jobs. Either out of fear, or they were low income earners like subsistence farmers, and wanted to prove a point. drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• olori Tari

March 17, 2014 at 7:44 am

Best comment ever. I said this on twitter yesterday but boy, did I hear it all or did I hear it all ?. Everyone wants to start high…nobody wants to start small again. I repeat, who are you and what kind of experience do you have that makes you belive you cannot pick up a small trade and work your way up. Everybody wants to wake up in a buggati…sometimes I imagine this people are not hungry enough. If office job doesn’t fall on your lap, why not start something till it eventually does ? Sometimes, I don’t even get the hype with this whole office job thing. If you are to ask me, i believe being self employed has wayyy more benefits. Or maybe I’m thinking like this because I don’t even fancy anything that puts me in a very tight schedule everyday of my life..office job does that and I’m not interested. I love me some spontaneous routines.

I also blame our parents for this mentality, it is the way most of us were brought up. And it’s not only about jobs to, even with choosing university oo. I have a friend who lives in Nigeria and for some reasons didn’t get into Unilag and other universities he chose. After his first attempt, I said to him..why not go and write the exam for the polytechnic you filled when you were filling your jamb form, so at least you can keep yourself busy pending the time you get into Uni.After all no knowledge is a waste. He looked at me like I was speaking Spanish..I went ahead to explain myself further and said OND certificate isn’t a useless one, that is all some people have and they’ve made it work for them. His response was “What will my siblings and parent say, a whole me Yaba Tech…The highest that will happen is, I will come and join you in Jand”. I said okay and I moved on…The next year, same thing happened, I told him the same thing, he didn’t answer. I even went as far as challenging him to say, you are talking about “a whole me” but you cannot pass your jamb. That didn’t even hit him at all, I said okay…do you know some schools in Jand allows you to boost up your degree from an OND to a BSC after few years, why not do that ?. He still didn’t answer me oo, he is too big to go to polytechnic and it’s unilag or nothing. That’s how this guy wasted 3 good years oo…

The point of my story is that we need to start changing the way we think. Everybody wouldn’t have it the same. Start from somewhere at least, till you find a better one. Sometimes, you realise that your dream job/uni isn’t even the way forward.

• olori Tari

March 17, 2014 at 9:01 am

I think I meant **HND certificate and not OND. Well, the certificate you get from polytechnics.

• gia

March 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm

No offence but your friend is really dumb…

33. Noble (http://www.lagosconvo.com)

March 16, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Common sense is in deeper slumber in Nigeria. When it wakes up, Nigeria and Nigerians will know which way to go. For now, the sheep movements continue.

• Fountain of Paper

March 16, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Please!!! We’re too busy being concerned about the cultural effects of Chimamanda choosing to be called Adichie or not. Where that is not enough to take our time we’re suspecting whether Uti is boinking another man. If that is not enough to take up the rest of our time… well… we are debating whether Lupita is overrated or not.

We ARE TOO BUSY with all these oh-so-important things!

34. Wale

March 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

The sad part is the immigration officials would have already selected their candidates way before this exercise. Then they still exploited these helpless job seekers by taking the little money they had plus transportation and food cost to go to the location. On top of that they probably will not refund the money. Like I was telling a friend yesterday, we missed an opportunity to take over the goverment by Nigerian youths. There were 2 million of them all over the country on the streets. They should have rioted. It will be difficult for the police to shoot them all because their own relatives are amongst the crowd. There are only about 300 to 500 thousand policemen in the country. The crowd yesterday could have outnumbered them and taken over. Jonathan’s administration is the fcuking most incompetent in the history of the world. Any President would on hearing of this should have immediately gone on national Tv and spoken directly to the nation. He should be impeached, shot and thrown in the ocean. Fcuking evil clueless bastard!

• Just saying

March 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Amen Wale! We were better off under military……. You can imagine from obasanjo(frying pan) to Jonathan (fire). It is either these presidents don’t understand the concept of democracy or they are just not fit to rule because I am yet to witness the ‘government for the people by the people’. To think that 2015 general election is around the corner and our dear president is not making any effort with its citizens. At first it was the hopeless promise of having uninterrupted electricity to eradicating the high level of unemployment. I am beginning to think that he does the exact opposite of what he says he will do.

• slice

March 16, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This is government by the people. We are not great people and our leaders are a reflection of that. If only GEJ was the bad one, this minister and his cohorts would not have organized to collect 1k each from poor people. Sadly, these kinds of senseless deaths happen in so called better societies, it’s just the reaction is better and someone usually at least pays the victims. I remember a few years back, walmart would always have this rushing problem even leading to death as people rushed for thanksgiving sales but now they make you pick a number once you show up and they put things in place to make things better. The sad part of this situation here is i understand this is not the first time and the minister is blaming it on patience. When you gather that many people together, it’s your job to anticipate the impatience and to plan for it. GEJ start by sacking the guy (that seems to be the only thing you’re good at) and then return all the money they collected. Next up, somebody pls sue all the people you can sue….AND NO, WE WERE NOT BETTER OFF UNDER MILITARY. at least, you can come here and write how you feel. that’s a plus

35. Just saying

March 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm

‘His citizens’

36. Narnia

March 16, 2014 at 5:29 pm

This is heartbreaking! This speaks of so much desperation amongst graduates
    I actually didn’t know joblessness was this bad in Nigeria
    If I wanna die young il actually go into politics but my skin ain’t thick
    enough Kai!
    RIP to the lost souls!
    This is unreal man how can I go recruitment kini and loss my life!
    Orishirishi

37. Jj

March 16, 2014 at 6:18 pm

In Europe jobless people are being paid, while jobless people in Nigeria always have to pay for everything, including paying their corrupt leaders.

38. gift

March 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm

FOR 14 YEARS AFTER GRADUATION WITH A GOOD GRADE AND A GOOD COURSE AND EVEN A POST GRADUATE DEGREE, NO JOB. I WAS 24YRS OLD THEN . NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT, YOU HAVE DEALT WITH ME. YOU AND UR FAMILIES WILL 1 DAY PAY 4 DIS. THERE MUST BE REVOLUTION IN THIS COUNTRY, NIGERIA YOUTH ARISE AND FIGHT 4 UR RIGHT. I WAS AT THE ABUJA RECRUITMENT I SAW HOW THESE PPLE DIED, IT WASN’T IMPATIENT AS STATED BY D SO CALLED MINISTER, D INTERVIEW WAS JUST CONDUCTED TO COVERUP FOR D 1K COLLECTED FRM US. GOD WILL SURELY PUNISH DEM, WICKED PPLE WHAT U SOW DAT U WILL REAP

• Soraya

March 16, 2014 at 7:20 pm

You are very bitter Gift- so for 14 years, you have had no job and yet you are still after a government job? You epitomize the reality of today’s Nigerian youth- mentally lazy, no thought of creating employment for others and having a sense of entitlement. Why have you not thought of doing something to better yourself? My tailor is a graduate, my hairdresser is a graduate, the owner of a small provision shop near my house is a graduate and I see graduates working as manual labourers and you have come on to the internet to complain? Even here in London, there are graduates cleaning the streets. Why not start something for yourself and employ people in the process? If you can afford even a post-graduate degree, you are certainly more fortunate than most young people in Nigeria. Once you remove the scale of bitterness from your eyes, you will see more clearly!

• Omolola

March 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Soraya, you do not have the right to talk to Gift that way. You do not know his/her story, some of us are to quick to bring down our fellow human.

• ao

March 17, 2014 at 5:18 am

@Soraya. Why shouldn’t she be bitter?? The Nigerian government has the resources to create an enabling environment, but has not. Instead, many, if not all, politicians steal money that is meant to develop the country and only develop themselves. If I were a graduate in the position of Gift, I would be more than bitter, I would be straight pissed. Have you ever thought that your tailor and all those other trader-graduates that you named could be bitter. Did they engage in trade because it was their desire or out of necessity to survive. Think about it.

• Tiki

March 17, 2014 at 11:08 am

So you expect your hairdresser to be content with plaiting your shuku, fixing your Peruvian, something she may never be able to afford? Are you saying when a person can afford garri, they should not hunger after rice, they should not hold their government accountable for the lack of couscous?

• Manny

March 17, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Soraya, you keep leaving dumb comments on this story. We get that you are well to do and you don’t really know what the average Nigerian faces. Why don’t you just shut up, read and learn? Do you really think it’s that easy to start a business. Most of your friends that have started their companies got funding from daddy or mummy or some uncle somewhere. For the ones without any family support, what are they supposed to do? That’s why we have so many girls sleeping with old men for money

• tee

March 17, 2014 at 2:51 pm

am sorry but you can register for gis

39. Mrs Nwosu

March 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Haba Mr. President! are the loss of live not affecting you at all? or is this a ploy you guys are using human blood to propagate your interest? if not how do you hold a recruitment test of over 50,000 in one day in one space? and you have not said anything about it doesn’t the human blood shed lately mean anything? we have become so subhuman that we do not have the fear of the horror anymore, how can someone say “its not the first time and it will happen again”? how can someone say it was” impatience that caused the stampede” when questions paper were been thrown in the air for candidates to collect, why wont they be a stampeded? and how in the name of all that is good conduct a recruitment test with that number of candidates in such a manner? and the Minister is sitting pretty and the immigration boss is also sitting pretty? There is only a level to which leaders can push its people o. like Iyke said Shame, shame, shame and big shame. rest in peace our dear loved ones.

40. Bukky

March 16, 2014 at 6:53 pm

OKAY IM NOT YHE NUKKY THAT POSTED UP THERE BUT I ALLIGN WITH HER ANALYSIS . I ALSO WANT TO ADD THAT THE YOUTHS IN THIS COUNTRY NEED TO BE ASHAMED. YES! HOW MANY YOUTHS WOULD HAVE COME OUT TO PROTEST LIKE THOSE NOS WE SAW IF THEY WERE CALLED UPON? I WATCHED PROTESTS ON THE INTERNET AND YOU DONT SEE SUCH NOS. WHY COME OUT TO GIVE N1,000 EACH TO A CORRUPT GOVT AND NOT THINKING OF HOW MUCH THEYLL MAKE FROM YOU ALL COLLECTIVELY? BECAUSE IN NIGERIA, WE ARE SELFISH PEOPLE WHO ONLY THINK OF OUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS AND NOT COLLECTIVE TRIUMPH .
    SECONDLY, NIGERIANS ARE “F-A-K-E” People WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT MATERIAL GAINS NOW…THATS WHY SOMEONE WILL DECRY AN ABACHA WEDDING AND NEXT YOULL HEAR IS …THEY CAN BUY YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY ,YOURE ONLY JEALOUS !!! NIGERIANS,!!! LET US WAKE UP NOW… JOURNALISTS, BLOGGERS, ALL OF US NEED TO STOP GLAMORIZING AND SHOWCASING EVIL. IT IS OUR COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILTY!

41. Bukky

March 16, 2014 at 6:59 pm

ALSO WHY DO PARNTS AND FAMILIES OF PEOPLE WHO LOOSE THEIR LIVES IN THIS TRGIC WAYS IN NIGERIA NEVER USE IT AS A MOTIVATION TO LEAD A REVOLUTION?
    WHAT A WASTE!!!

42. Nikki Heat

March 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Soraya you certainly have nothing meaningful to say so I’ll suggest you do the world a favor and shut the hell up! You are just seeking to gain unnecessary attention on the internet to make up for your recent loss. Stop saying” here in London” because you are very much not “here in London”.
    Your hair dresser?! Your Tailor?! Common babes are you that dumb to use that line?….. Unless you are in the system (which you are NOT)? You don’t know shit about the system

• Author Unknown

March 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I think I understand what Soraya is trying to explain, and that is you basically cannot wait for the government (in Nigeria or anywhere else for that matter) to create employment for you. It’s just that it came out sounding more like condemnation than encouragement/ advise.

• Soraya

March 17, 2014 at 12:57 am

No, you shut the hell up- you don’t have to read my comments if you find them offensive but it is clear you have not understood the context of my comments- why on earth would any sensible graduate want to work for such a corrupt agency in this day and age???

43. Ifeanyi

March 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

This is Sad. Ordinary Nigerians are not Angry enough…

44. lily

March 16, 2014 at 8:46 pm

God pls have mercy on us, we are really dieing in this God forsaken country, Nigeria

45. nomad

March 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Disgusting but flip the other side of the coin. Why were people willing to die for this. Is it the paltry salary?

I’ll tell you what, I recently renewed my passport. The official price is N9k. I paid double that. Not for express delivery, but so that my path could be smoothed. I know I and others are enabling the environment so I’m not going to justify my actions, it’s shameful. The Immigration officials have this scam running, so at the Ikoyi office, maybe 60 – 80% if not more of the easily over a thousand people that troop in daily to renew or acquire a passport pay a premium. Everyone of the Immigration officials were grossly overweight off that lucre. Why won’t these jobs be sought after? Do you think Ministry of Works or any bla bla bla Ministry will have to rent out a stadium for jobseekers? Why do you think places like Customs and Immigration are highly sought after? I guarantee that a percentage of the people who attended the recruitment already have jobs.

We are ALL facilitating corruption in Nigeria. From paying extra to smooth a bureaucratic path, to paying someone for a job where it’s not the salary, it’s the “extras”, that make it so highly sought after.

It’s a vicious cycle. When will it end?

• Soraya

March 17, 2014 at 12:58 am

Thank you, Nomad, you couldn’t have placed it better!

46. Author Unknown

March 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

This story made me so mad. On top of it, our government charged an application fee??? The irony of it all is the majority of the applicants are targeting immigration jobs for the egunje, further compounding our already decayed system. What a vicious circle. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

47. olusolape fagbamiye

March 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

please keep praying for Nigeria…dont relent. God is gonna help us. i just wish our leaders stop uttering rubbish. it was impatience that caused the stampede what did they expect? Lord rest the souls of the departed
    please visit http://www.healthcoliseum.com thank you

• ticking time bomb

March 17, 2014 at 12:08 am

you dey craze o!! Which God? Shut the f*up! He will not come down and help you! he has given you a brain! Use it! He doesnt care about that country! He has better things to do!

48. genevieve

March 16, 2014 at 10:31 pm

please a revolution is not the solution for Nigeria. we’ve had civil (biafra) war already and nothing changed. look at all the countries that have suffered revolutions e.g syria, egypt, libya etc the aftermath of a revolution is horrible. besides if there is a revolution it is not the govt/wealthy citizens that’ll suffer, they can afford to run to another country comfortably, it is still the masses that will suffer so what are we saying? the solution is PEACEFUL division of the country just like korea. xxx

• ticking time bomb

March 17, 2014 at 12:10 am

There is a difference between a revolution and a civil war!

49. Obosi

March 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I still insist that this whole episode was a well thought out scam that backfired on the government and they have to pay for it one way or the other, the families of the people that lost their lives in this rubbish should be well compensated and Jonathan should hold a press conference and declare his incompetence to handle his house on international TV, I repeat ”INTERNATIONAL TV” cuz this is a BIG DISGRACE on this nation that we can not do prior screenings virtually before putting people’s lives at risk like this…Its SHAMEFUL!

50. Moving On Swiftly

March 16, 2014 at 11:21 pm

A failed Nation.

51. Bolu

March 16, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I realy don’t wanna blame us as nigerians concerning this NIS saga but I think by now pple shud know that in cases like this the slots for employment are already filled before the aptitude tests are written and so pple shud avoid showing up even when itz tempting ..’Connection’ is the norm and we know it..Be wise!

52. Bolu

March 16, 2014 at 11:49 pm

53. tammy

March 17, 2014 at 12:14 am

I can hear the sound of a tickling time bomb nearby, the day the youths of this nation will revolt!!! The damage no go be small thing, they will start with our so called leaders. That people are not responding now doesn’t mean they are not pained in their spirit, all it takes is a day. May the souls of the departed RIP

54. tammy

March 17, 2014 at 12:29 am

Ticking

55. NNENNE

March 17, 2014 at 1:04 am

My heart goes out to the families of all the deceased
    The HR department of immigration have questions to answer.
    Fellow Nigerians, the bitter truth is that the government can’t hire everyone. No Country in the world has. Use your education to integrate yourself into the world. Nothing is too small.

56. ola olu

March 17, 2014 at 1:05 am

‘Move back to Nigeria indeed’

• Exquisite

March 17, 2014 at 9:12 am

As sad as this situation is, your comment is biased. Wherever you are, I’m sure you’re not making it as you like to. Talk about the sad situation, criticize the government, sympathize, and leave the “move back to Nigeria indeed out”. Enjoy your week!

• ticking time bomb

March 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm

errrrr! No!! And if she decides to move back to Nigeria and improve her situation wont she still have bokoharam, NEPA, bad roads, security etc to contend with? Heck, a janitor abroad has a better quality of life than the richest Nigerian! Shoot me!!

57. Wale

March 17, 2014 at 1:17 am

For those of you calling on God and leaving it in God’s hands, SNAP OUT of it! I am feed up of this religiousness that is holding back the country. God is looking down and laughing at you all. Nigerians are the most prayerful people in the world. They go to church and mosques and shrines diligently, pay tithes and offer human parts to whom ever they worship. They follow the instructions of their pastors and imams and babalawos to the T. But our dear country continues to disintergrate even more rapidly. So as you close your eyes and kneel to pray your leaders, pastors etc are carrying your money in Ghana must go bags onto their private jets and flying them to foreign islands. Wake up. You voted these fools in, it is time to vote them out. I read somewhere that 60% of the country is made up of people between the age of 17 and 35. If it is true we can vote them out and take back the country. We have now learnt our lesson that because someone says they have a phd and an underdog doesn’t quite mean they have the ability to rule or have our best interest in mind. Our leaders are evil. And I am including the religious ones too. They hate us. They are selfish and self centered. Evil has permeated our country. When hundreds of human beings, citizens are being slaughtered daily and NOT one single religious leader or even the dumbo president has come forward to viciously condemn it. They don’t even blink anymore. Susuwam’s state was attacked by Fulani terrorist a few days ago , many of his citizens were killed the very next day he was seen in Jos dancing at Jang’s 70th birthday party. Our leaders are Evil they hate the people who trekked miles, stood in the rain and sun to vote for them. God, my fellow BNers, only help those who help themselves. We should not tolerate this anymore. We should vote them out come 2015. We should start a movement. Think of your future, all your dreams – they can’t be realized in this present condition. We need and deserve better. God will not help us, only we can help ourselves. I have spoken.

58. gift

March 17, 2014 at 1:38 am

SORAYA, I THINK U ARE A DUMMY AND IF NOT BLIND. AM VERY SURE YOU BELONG TO THESE GROUP OF BLOOD SUCKING NIGERIANS THAT USED THIS MEDIUM TO GET ATTENTION FRM THE GOVT. ARE U SURE U ARE IN LONDON. IF U’RE REALLY THERE, WHAT MADE U TO RUN OUT OF YOUR COUNTRY, GREEDY FELLOW, AM VERY SURE U ARE ONE OF THOSE NIGERIANS OVER THERE WHO STEP SO LOW TO CLEAN TOILETS ABROAD IN THE NAME OF MAKING IT.

• olori Tari

March 17, 2014 at 8:06 am

While I do not support the way she responded to you, even though she had some good points. I’m a little concerned about your last statement…and this is the mentality I was talking about above. Nobody wants to start small. So somebody trying to make ends meet, gets a cleaning job and you call that “stepping low” ? Just imagine. I mean at the end of the day, that “toilet cleaner” is making it in their own way. There is money enough to fend for themselves…They might not be balling, but they are comfortable.

• slice

March 17, 2014 at 11:22 am

Olori, u r very right. Ah soraya pls think again abeg. If there r toilets to clean and get paid and she doesn’t have to go home and tell her family there’s no money today, why not. It’s a honorable job and many have even started their janitorial business and made millions from there. All na hustle. Abi u think there’s only honor in carrying pen and paper. Mmy dear, if ur hand finds that job or business, do it and God will bless the work of ur hand but u must have work in ur hand for God to bless. May God give us wisdom

• Soraya

March 30, 2014 at 3:04 pm

No, Gift, I don’t clean toilets overseas and even if I do, so what? Graduates here in London are cleaners, dishwashers, shelf stackers- what matters is not the job title but the fact that people are prepared to ‘stoop low’, your words not mine, to earn a living. Believe me when I tell you I started from the bottom and worked my way up without help; are you prepared to start from the bottom? But then again, I guess you are too busy being bitter and blaming others for your plight in life. Grow up Gift, look beyond your bitterness and the scales will fall off your eyes!

59. Shirley

March 17, 2014 at 2:20 am

This eats my my heart. Nigeria is so blessed. This should not happen. All hands should be on deck to ensure that we reduce the number of unemployed persons in our country. People who have taken away money that they can’t finish should please bring it to curb this menace in our country.

60. TheresaO

March 17, 2014 at 2:30 am

As painful as this story is and as angry as we are, nothing will change unless we demand for it. As long as we feel emotion without taking action, our public office holders will continue to treat us with contempt.

If you are angry like I am, this is your opportunity to demand for justice for the deceased and prevent a repeat of this tragedy in the future. Will you sign the petition below, calling for the sack and prosecution of the Minister of Interior and Comptroller General of Immigration?
    Please let’s channel our anger into a productive outcome. Thank you.

Thanks.

• ides of march

March 18, 2014 at 9:00 am

Signed and shared. Thank you for taking the initiative, we need to use technology to our advantage and bring change to our plight.

61. ao

March 17, 2014 at 4:55 am

They died of “impatience”? Mr. Moro, minister of the interior, you need to be fired like yesterday. Moro must be short form of “Moron”. You and your subordinates should have anticipated the present outcome. Anyone that spends any amount of time in Nigeria knows that the concept of queuing up is not engendered in the culture. Combine this with a desperate job market and thousands of desperate job applicants in a country where daily life is very difficult both physically and mentally for the average person and you have an explosive deadly situation. You and your subordinates could have better organized this event by screening applicants online to start, selecting those that have qualifications, and administering tests in small batches over a period of weeks. Why have over 56,000 applicants plus more show up all at once in a stadium with a capacity of 20,000 or less??? The deceased did not die of “impatience”, they died from your poor planning and obvious stupidity..and I am putting it nicely.

• assa

March 17, 2014 at 8:39 am

Thanks AO. you summed up most of what I feel. Mr Moro must be either small brained or just a bloody idiot. That’s the most unfeeling, hateful thing I’ve heard in a while. It’s sad especially because I doubt the President will do anything about such asinine utterances.

62. Stephanie

March 17, 2014 at 7:25 am

63. honeymix

March 17, 2014 at 7:29 am

Nigeria is not a NATION. Its a state ntion.

64. T.I.

March 17, 2014 at 8:43 am

1. Why did they have to pay any money at all? Who’s going to come out to explain/justify charging unemployed people to pay
    2. Who is the so called politician that owned the company the test takers paid N1000 to
    3. What was done with the money
    4. Who’s going to answer for why this wasn’t conducted/organized properly. As it’s been said, there are over 10 ways this exercise could have been organized and conducted to manage crowd control and reduce stress.

Only God can change our hearts to better our country. He won’t come down from heaven to do it for us but the kind of greed and nonsense present in this nation is staggering that it will take something heavenly to have people to just start thinking differently about Nigeria and fellow Nigerians. It’s not education cause a good amount of the people in positions of influence in every area of the political social economy are sufficiently educated and those vipers that we call leaders, whether political, military, social, economic, are training their children to follow in their footsteps we’re here saying our generation will be better. A new generation of smarter, more efficient thieves. We know, yet they go out in public and are praised, lauded, sought after… Lool. God dey.
    No one shld ask me to come out and protest anything cause we are the problem and truth be told we don’t need public protests.. what we need is every Nigerian to put selfish interest aside, be inconvenienced for the good of everyone. A public struggle doesn’t mean anything if there isn’t a private struggle of equal or greater magnitude.

65. priscilla

March 17, 2014 at 8:52 am

niaja is stand still.people areb suffering,where re we going to run to?

66. Mindblowingme

March 17, 2014 at 10:48 am

What’s the way forward dear friends! What can we do? You and I together,in unity of purpose? What?

67. yasmin

March 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm

it is such a tragedy for this thing to happen…… i still want to relocate to Nigeria from London….. I wished i had done it immediately after I got married many years ago…. I hate ENGLAND

68. tee

March 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

@ gift am sorry but you can register for gis…or better still learn a trade… i really support soraya and nomad a lot of nigerians need to change their mindset….The change starts from us. All of a sudden govt jobs have become the most sought after because people feel they can resume and close anytime they like and also there is extra egunje that comes with it. You were busy cursing the government when you are infact trying to get into that system not to make a change but to join the bandwagon. We need to change our mindset or we are just wasting our time and i pity the future generation…

69. ron

March 18, 2014 at 11:43 am

Once Again, I am very ashamed of this country. This government never fails to disappoint me. David Mark’s wife owns the company that got the contract to conduct the test. Before now , NIS has successfully done its recruitment exercise. So because of greed and selfishness, one heartless fellow decided to kill people in order to fatten her own bank account. God will judge everybody responsible for this act. I believe david mark has children of his own right? Lets see how well they will turn out.

70. Master P

March 18, 2014 at 5:59 pm

A lot of commendable suggestions have been voiced since the breaking of this news. However, I have a burning sensation arising from this whole saga. If we can find 56,000 jobless youth in a nation in one day, then I can confidently conclude that we don’t have a Govt. In theory, this 56,000 have completed the mandatory 365 days National service. What was the govt thinking would happen after national service? Would the graduates suddenly varnish into thin air. Yearly there is an outflow of graduates into the labour market, with the previous graduates still jobless, they should have anticipated a crowded session before advertising job positions.
    Let’s take note that this 56,000 was based on poor documentation. I researched a bit and found out that 7 billion Naira was actually realized from the whole recruitment process. Accounting this, I concluded that the number of unemployed youth that applied for the job positions were way beyond 56,000. The number would be staggering around 700,000 which means without the census we have been able to find close to a million jobless youth.
    This event was not an accident, it was created as a money spinning scam however, it blew up their egos. Apparently our impulsive leaders have chosen their professional blame game to answer for the death of the innocent. Let’s not wait for any probe, it’s a temporary noise to dwindle expectations of the audience.
    How the brains of our leaders work do not needs any rocket science explanation they are simply blinded by money. I only have one request to our govt including the lowest in rank the forgotten ward councillor, PUT THE SOCIAL AMENITIES IN PLACE especially POWER. Suggestions have been raised about private business enterprise, however Nigeria is a Jungle which is driven by capital. If the amenities are not in place, this cycle of madness is bound to continue.
    Let be factual, there is no credibility within the ruling class, and I cannot guarantee any young person would not also be corrupt. The problem called Nigeria would not be solved by magic during the 2015 elections, it would only be solved when we begin to realise what the normal everyday life of the average Nigerian should actually reflect.
    Listen begin to think.

71. colloins

May 20, 2015 at 3:32 pm

THE NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICE 2015 RECRUITMENT IS CURRENTLY GOING ON NOW.the recruited/shortlisted supplementary list has been released online.

we are currently compiling and computing the governors/batch C recruitment/shortlisted list now and will be released soonest.

for recruitment help,assistance and help,contact captain oseghale on-08142304523 and 08062123628