News

Fola Daniel Adelesi: You Can Still Be Selected

Fola Daniel Adelesi

About four years ago I heard a commercial on radio and it triggered something in me. I was so excited to hear that something I had always wanted was finally going to happen. After a while, I forgot about it, then a friend called me again almost at the last minute asking me to apply for it. It was the audition of the Debaters TV reality show organised by Mo Abudu in 2009. I went in with so much hope that you could practically cut through the hope.

As for my own part of the story, I will make it short and tell you that I was selected to be a part of the show. I guess some of you saw me on the show. After my selection I saw a few inspiring things that I may not forget too quickly. I believe that what I saw shows how things happen in real life and they can also happen to you if you think that all is over and you have been left out already.

The selection of the fourteen talkmates to be in the talk academy was almost over. The judges already had almost all the names they were going to pick for the final debate. I don’t know what happened along the line but I just noticed people coming out and making so much efforts to call someone back. The person they were trying to call back had already been told that she was not selected so she left the venue almost immediately.

As I said, I don’t know what happened, but the judges all agreed that she should be called back and this lady was asked to come back to the venue of the audition for one final debate. After that final debate, she was selected to be among the fourteen to be in the talk academy for the debaters TV reality show.

Can you imagine how disappointed she would have been when she was told to go home? She was good. She definitely expected to be selected but was told to leave. Have you been rejected where you expected to be selected? Don’t remain dejected, because you can still be selected. The person I am talking about is Precious Eriamiatoe who eventually made it till the last day of the series of tough debates over a period of thirteen weeks.

Another one happened, and that amused me the more. Just when we thought all was done and we were in the Talk Academy, our very dear friend, Kunle Odeyemi, had to exit the academy for some very personal reasons. We had already done one or two debates. So this was about two or three weeks into the debate. Once Kunle Odeyemi left, Ayodolapo Ajao who had already been told he was not going to the talk academy was invited into the academy.

Maybe others saw it in a different perspective but what I saw was a closed door that seemed impossible to open just opening on its own. It was very important for me to write about this just to let you see how it has happened for others and also show you that it can happen for you too.

You may have been told there are no slots again. They may say the interview is over and the list has gone to Abuja or the President’s office. Let me remind you that Abuja is not heaven. Wherever decisions have been taken that did not seem to favour you, they can still be overturned.

I am a natural optimist and I can’t afford to think that all is lost with me just because of the decisions made by men. My future is too bright to be limited by a man’s decision. Remember, you may have been rejected where you expected to be selected, don’t remain dejected because you can still be selected.

Photo Credit: vestinet.rs

____________________________________________________________________________________
Fola Daniel Adelesi is a professional public speaker who also trains other speakers, an author, business consultant and highly skilled master of ceremony with excellent poise and diction. He was on the Debaters TV reality show season 1, presented ‘You Can’ on Radio Continental in 2011, did motivational segments on Galaxy TV from Dec 2008 to August 2009 and has authored 3 books including Writing Business Proposal

Fola Daniel Adelesi is a professional public speaker who also trains other speakers. He's an highly engaging training facilitator and he holds his large audience spell bound when speaking at gatherings. He's an author, business consultant and highly skilled master of ceremony with excellent poise and diction. He was on the Debaters TV reality show season 1, he presented 'You Can' on Radio Continental in 2011 and he did motivational segments on Galaxy TV from Dec 2008 to August 2009. Fola Daniel has authored 3 books including Writing Business Proposals. He currently talks about Social Media on Info.com - An ICT Show on Lagos Television. Fola Daniel trained as a communications professional, works as a business consultant and was also trained at Lagos Business School in collaboration with Google as a Digital Business Manager.

1. anonymous

April 10, 2014 at 9:17 am

ose oo, Olorun a tun tie na se oo…SMILE

2. Iyke

April 10, 2014 at 9:30 am

Nice one Fola. Attitude towards rejection/failure is the answer:
    On a deeper level, I honestly suffer no illusions about what is wrong with the world today ….. but I have chosen to live through the weight of it’s embrace …to reach the waiting side of life that breaths …cradles the wealth of gifted promise…a welcome chase!It is impossible to fail when you truly understand failure/rejection. Folks, as long as you know your worth and strength, keep exploring, keep trying new things, keep living at your pace, keep getting it wrong, and learning, and failing and expanding and loving and ALL that stuffs that make YOU who are …. Of course, I can’t tell you how to feel when faced with such situation, but I can assure you that you are not alone.No need to cry because it’s over or you were rejected ….. smile and be grateful because it happened, for there were people who were never lucky enough to find it in the first place.(Attitude – keep it positive)

• Warri Babe

April 10, 2014 at 10:04 am

Multiple likes for this comment, Iyke! Looking back at some scenarios in my life, rejection opened my eyes to better opportunities. Those days seemed like they would never end but I’m grateful that I never gave up. Reminds me of what my former boss told me some years back: ‘ Whatever is yours will never pass you by, doesn’t matter the circumstances, it will always find its way to your doorstep’.

3. Babygirl

April 10, 2014 at 9:36 am

What an upliftment for the 11th hour miracle I’m praying for. just in time. Thanks Fola.

4. Jo!

April 10, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thank you Fola, I needed this reminder

5. MissBonnie

April 10, 2014 at 10:16 am

Thank you , Fola .

6. liya

April 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

Good for thought. Thanks Fola

7. l

April 10, 2014 at 10:52 am

Great! Great!! Great!!!

8. SophisticatedIgboGurl

April 10, 2014 at 11:03 am

Food for thought “Remember, you may have been rejected where you expected to be selected, don’t remain dejected because you can still be selected”

9. datigbogeh

April 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm

…..>Wherever decisions have been taken that did not seem to favour me,shall be overturned….thnk u and God bless u fr ds one.Lord I am expecting d gud news today..AMEN!!!

10. amy

April 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Thank you so much for this Fola because this came at just the nick of time. I cried this morning because the contract my husband and I were going after was just given to another person who did not participate in any of the presentations. After all the time, energy and money sunk into it only for the contract to be awarded to someone with ‘long legs’. Every member of that panel loved all our materials and were confused for choice and even had to ask us to tell the manufacturers to be on the ready for when the funds would be approved. Only for the funds to be approved and the contract was suddenly awarded to another…

11. le fric c'est chic

April 10, 2014 at 3:43 pm

wow! God bless you for this

12. le freak c'est chic

April 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

wow! Thank you for this

13. Dr. N

April 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Yes, yes, and yes!

14. Tunde

April 10, 2014 at 10:00 pm

it came to me at the right time.
    expecting to read more of it in the future.
    God bless you for raising up my hope

15. Fola Daniel Adelesi

Fola Daniel Adelesi

April 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I was moved to see that this touched many people’s hearts.

16. aj

April 11, 2014 at 4:47 am

I have been rejected for jobs so many times….its not even funny. But I know very soon I will be selected for my dream job.

17. bumstic

April 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Hmmmmm….just read this piece after discovering I failed for d 2nd time a proffessional exam I seriously prepared for this evening and I was partly like..I ve to rewrite it or give up and not improve my life but after reading this piece, I will go 4 d former which is to rewrite it as I almost felt like givin up coupled with d fact that a promotion I missed made me decide to write the exam in d first place but its well…I give God all d glory cos I know its not how many times a man falls that matters but how many times he tries to get up dustinb his clothes. Ose Fola for this writeup.God bless u

Fola Daniel Adelesi

April 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Amen, and at this next attempt you will pass the exam.

• Luqman

April 12, 2014 at 3:17 am

Don’t give up my Sister, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel if we can be patient, like it is stated in the article that rejection today doesn’t mean that you can’t be selected tomorrow. I could remember having a problem with a Programming Language exam which i re-wrote so many times, you could imagine failing the exam just bcos of 0.5 but i kept on believing that i knew this thing, it was just that i used to lose concentration during the exam just bcos of too much resits in just a course. In a nutshell, i passed the exam in my last attempt despite the fact that i faced some turbulence by forgetting my laptop at home and there was no way i could write the exam without the laptop. Fortunately for me, the exam coordinator gave me the school laptop but i could not connect to the school internet (myOwnLaptopWouldLogInAutomatically), i tried to call their attentions but they told me that it was non of their business. I wasted 30mins before i could get connected but i eventually passed the exam with all those circumstances.

Just believe in God and believe in yourself, i can guarantee you that you will pass it this time around by God grace.

Success is yours!

Fola Daniel Adelesi

April 16, 2014 at 10:19 am

Amen! Thanks for sharing your own experience.

18. Stephanie

April 11, 2014 at 11:44 pm

This is so apt!
    Thank you so much.

19. frances okoro

April 12, 2014 at 1:37 am

20. Ada

April 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Wow! This is a really nice piece Fola. This happens to me often, I do everything right, I seize even the smallest opportunities, yet it doesn’t work. Sometimes I feel it might have a lot to do with Spiritual forces but prayers conquers all right? So I pray and pray and never stop. And I work hard and harder but most times that light at the end of the tunnel seem close yet far away and when you think you’re there already, you haven’t gotten anywhere at all. Life is mysterious. We have no choice but to remain optimistic and prayerful so as to fulfil our destinies. Great write-up!