News

Watch Toke Makinwa’s New Vlog – “Familiarity”

Toke Makinwa - Toke Moments Vlog - April 2014 - BellaNaija 01

It’s Wednesday with Toke Makinwa.

The Nigerian media personality presents a new Toke Moments Vlog – “Familiarity”.

She gives the scoop on people who act like they are your friends or part of your clique.

Check it out!

1. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 2, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I agree with most of what she said but not the part about eating from the same pot with the help. what’s the big deal about that? |House help sef no fit chop chicken??? You really don’t want to be nasty to your help especially if you have young children.
    Click my name to read my piece on The Necessary Evil (domestic staff) and Oga And The Help.

• lol

April 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

nawa for u omalicha. see how u made it seem like toke was being condescending all cause u wanted to link it to ur blog post. thank God i watched the video if not i would not have understood what toke meant. she clearly said eating from the same bowl aspa oga being the pot since hes sleeping with madam and the maid. pls dont tell me u didnt get it. u just used the opportunity of that statement to link to ur blog post

2. latifa

April 2, 2014 at 6:50 pm

uhhhmmm………………….bye

3. styloholic

April 2, 2014 at 7:07 pm

i love toke

4. anonymouzly

April 2, 2014 at 7:15 pm

@omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com I believe what Toke meant re: eating from the same pot was more figurative and not literal. She had spoken about the “Oga” sleeping with the maid and also sleeping with his wife and since she has “eaten from the same pot” as the madam, she will have the audacity to eye her madam up and down.

5. Non professional opinion

April 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm

She could have gotten her point across in half the time.

6. Hannah

April 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm

@omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com you have to understand where Toke is coming with the house help. Every thing she said is truth. Most of this people can get to familiar . Had a maid who was extremely Nice and humble , that we will tell her to watch Tv with us and she will be shy. so we blended her and all through her stay with us everyone loved her that we gave her so much goodies when she left.

On the other hand we also had one maid once she was an angel when she came but became a rude icon after all the teeth we shined with her, so much that she listened to all our gist and wanted to feel she knew more. She was full of herself that she even went through my wardrobe and saw my sister and i international passports and asked how we got the visas.
    There is time for everything. even at work you don’t tap your clients on the bum when they make a joke, either can i reach through my boss’s personal documents. So i believe Toke is just trying to explain how to behave around certain people and at certain places.

7. Marc Francis of Chelsea

April 2, 2014 at 9:11 pm

In all this, you also have to remember that Nigerians especially have an overwhelming sense of self-worth/importance that saying “hello” to someone can turn to “stop famzing me.”

• Quesada

April 2, 2014 at 11:25 pm

@Marc Francis…..Na true you talk…..I learned it the hard way.The naija students in my school/church gave me some “go to hell” look….I stopped saying hello to them all together.

• Vidavi

April 3, 2014 at 3:34 am

My sentiments exactly!!!!!

8. Saint tracy

April 2, 2014 at 10:37 pm

But toke o, you tell us everything about u na, u want us to b familiar with u? u tell us d cloths you wear, ur make up artist, ur gym, ur hair colour, etc, but ur asking us nit to b familiar with orthers? Why do I feel today’s blog was about u letting off steam on some1 who tried to b familiar with you? I defiantly know more about u dan my next door neighbor. I hope there’s no hate in my comments, cos I am not hating, I follow toke, n don’t hate her at all

• Ib

April 3, 2014 at 5:06 am

Definitely! My pleasure.

9. Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 3, 2014 at 1:59 am

Could it be people feeling unnecessarily important?? Its hard to tell in Naija, where exaggeration is d order of d day….I couldn’t watch till d end… toke needs to get innovative to sustain these vlogs…. the hair/paint/faces etc have gotten tired ….. its got to be rock bottom if u put all that time into dis monologue here…

10. Vidavi

April 3, 2014 at 3:32 am

Such rubbish, no matter how you slice it and dice it you are looking down on someone. The snob factor is alive and well in Nigeria.

• chichi

April 3, 2014 at 4:16 pm

best comment vidavi…honestly, i could kiss you right [email protected] francis, amen!!!…Nigerians and Indians are such snobs..yes i said it…I may be the sweetest person but my ppl put me to the test CONSTANTLY…Anyhoo, i give it to you however you want it…
      @ hannah, while i see your point, i couldn’t help but smh at some of the things you mentioned…Your maid going through your documents is a no no but i dont see what is wrong with her asking how yall got your international passports…Can you pls explain to me how that is taboo?…Pls we are not the only ones that should dare to dream about traveling out…if you want to know and i have such info, sure, i will give it to you. Its not like you are asking me to sponsor you or something..Use whatever info i have given you and sort yourself out. You must understand that ppl are different..Your first maid remained “humble” and nice after you let her in so to speak (which may be because she is naturally a shy person) while your second maid became a rude icon cos according to you she listened to your gists and acted like she knew more…LOL..yo, you guys let her in and she probably got super comfortable with you guys while you took it to mean she was rubbing shoulders with you guys…I guess to avoid such cases of “familiarity” as miss toke puts it, set clear boundaries so your maids know the only thing you guys owe each other is to be civil…Dont send mixed signals…We have one who has a super sharp mouth, a little older than me and till today will give me a light tap on the head and ask me to open my box whenever i come home to see what she can take from it..lol..i love her to death..she can listen to me and my sister’s gists all she wants and contribute cos its not as if what we are talking about is a matter of national security…trust me hannah, sometimes, it is not that serious… Assuming its your parents who hired her,the only thing these maids owe your parents not even you is diligence and honesty…Can let other attitudes slide…She has probably done other stuffs that you are not telling us cos i am not sure what you said is enough to make her a rude icon…just saying…
      On to my next rant…I dont visit linda ikeji’s blog..Not because she and her readers are “razz” as many ppl have suggested here but because one blog is enough for me and i choose bella naija. I find it so offensive when ppl attack other comments here and say “oh dont come here with your linda type comment” or “go back to linda ikeji’s blog, this place is not for ppl like you”…Now, in your heads, bella is for posh ppl while linda is for razz ppl..My ppl, whats with the pointless classism??..Who told you you have the right to tell ppl where they can or cannot visit??…Even if you come across super idiotic comments and you feel you have so much to offer the world via bella naija, the least you could is offer them a seat and and ask them to SIT and LEARN.lol..not ask them to leave…Being seeing this a lot and finally decided to speak up.
      So there…my rant…snobs make me boil..lol..

• Hannah

April 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Please shut up! Chichi. you don’t even know half of the things that girl did. your long comment indeed is super idiotic.

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 3, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Co-sign ur last paragraph….those kinda comments just mk me laugh….stupidity of d highest order….on dese our same filthy streets of naija, some peeps r forming posh vs razz….I laff well!!

• chichi

April 3, 2014 at 10:06 pm

lool..oh oh, she’s got a temper as well..since you wanna be rude, let me walk in your shoes a little bit before i leave you with your bs…you are correct, i do not know half of what the girl did and if you weren’t lacking in comprehension skills, you would notice i acknowledged that fact because your reasons for calling her a rude icon were pretty silly to me except for her going through your things..So next time, state the grave sins your maid committed and save us the crap about her listening to your gist and daring to know more than you….Or better still shove your entire story and let these housemaids breathe a little…”she listened to our gist”..really though??lol..foolery…Listen,this is not your house and i am not your housemaid and so i can call you out on your bs if i spot it (which i pointed out in a polite manner the first time mind you)..So simmer all you want ninny
      @ que.girl, i tell you…

11. Vivi

April 4, 2014 at 1:49 am

@Chichi..thanks. Please ignore this Hannah chick…can’t fix Stupid.