News

BellaNaija Weddings in Dubai! | Tips for Planning a UAE Wedding – Part 2 of 3

BellaNaija Weddings

Anwuri Chinda | Warda Haute Couture Wedding Dress | 01

BN Bride Anwuri in Dubai wedding dress designer Warda Haute Couture | Photo: Atunbi

Welcome to Part 2 of our BellaNaija Weddings in Dubai series! Yesterday we talked about why Nigerians wed in Dubai, wedding planners and photographers. Missed it? For Part 1 of the series, click here.

Today we explore wedding attire! From wedding dresses to suits, from bridesmaids to reception dresses, a lot of Nigerian couples shop for wedding attire here … let’s find out why!

Enjoy & be inspired!

***

Wedding Dresses – Contessa Dubai

Contessa Dubai is probably the biggest stockist of international bridal brands in Dubai. From exciting designers like Tarik Ediz and Tadashi Shoji to established brands like Justin Alexander, they have something for all brides.

Contessa started in 2010 by Palestinian brothers Mohammed & Ahmed. The day we were visiting, one of the brothers had just had an invasive surgery a few days prior, but FaceTime-d us from his house to make sure he answered all our questions.

DSC00199

He also gave instructions to the seamstresses and said hello to a bride in for a consultation. Now, that’s dedication!

DSC00197

Contessa Extended This Dress Train By a Few Feet at a Bride’s Request!

DSC00203

First Time In A Wedding Dress! #TeamMermaid ?!

The store gets a lot of Nigerian brides. They told me Naija brides say like the experience of buying their dress in a foreign country as it takes them away from the hustle and bustle in Nigeria… do you agree?! Lastly, they told me their latest Nigerian bride chose a fishtail gown… No surprise there! Lol 😀

DSC00208

Wedding Dresses – Warda Haute Couture

We’ve posted amazing dresses from new Dubai designer Warda Haute Couture before {click here for more}. So we had to stop by her showroom. It’s on the famous Jumeirah Road, where you can find a lot of other designers and shops.

warda haute couture

The details were so exquisite in person!warda haute couture warda haute couture

A BN Bride in Port Harcourt – Anwuri wore a Warda dress for her wedding this April 2014! Atunbi of The Atunbi Experience has shared these first photos with us.

Anwuri Chinda | Warda Haute Couture Wedding Dress | 01 Anwuri Chinda | Warda Haute Couture Wedding Dress | 00

You like?! See more of Anwuri’s Dubai gown in her full wedding feature – coming to BNW soon 😉

Groom & Groomsmen Suits – Franklin Eugene

BellaNaija Weddings in Dubai -Franklin Eugen_The Sylvest_SS2015 BellaNaija Weddings in Dubai -Franklin Eugene_The Sylvest_Spring_Summer 2015 Fashion Designer Franklin Eugene And Dubai International Film FestivalFranklin Eugene was founded by the owner with the same name, an African American who moved to Dubai over 10 years ago. He calls Dubai home now and when we asked what prompted his initial move, the cosmopolitan at heart said “it’s a place where East meets West”.

Franklin Showing Us His New Collection

Franklin Showing Us His Facebook Page

On new trends for grooms he said he prefers more classic looks – “I encourage grooms to wear something that’ll look classic & timeless, and will also accentuate their best assets.” He recently loved working with a fellow African – a Kenyan groom, as his best experiences are when he gets to know the entire groom party.

Reception Dresses – theDRESSroom.com

Us Naija ladies love our sparkly reception dresses! We’ve noticed reception dresses are often a last minute decision for some brides, with a few options on the table close to the wedding. Our next stop, The Dress Room, started off online only but has expanded to include a store in the Jumeirah Towers.

DSC00040

The store is owned by two friends who met as University students in Lebanon. They gave me a little of the bridal experience when I sat down on the swing and was offered some tea.DSC00042

There were little knick knacks at the door! “J’Adore Dubai” – et tu?BellaNaija Weddings in Dubai -DSC00043 DSC00055

I checked out a few dresses I liked, but once I saw this dress, I had to try it on! Jovani style #90676 in red.
the dress room dubai jovani style #90676 bellanaija

So feel free to stop by for a last minute option or during your regular wedding shopping!

Wedding/Reception/Bridesmaids Dresses – Al Hanaa Center

Al Hanaa Center is a 3-storey shopping mall with a LOT of bridal designers, located in Satwa. They can custom make dresses and also have a wide variety of bridal accessories. It’s far from the city center but if you have spare time it’s worth a visit.

DSC00169 al hanaa center, satwa, dubai al hanaa center, satwa, dubai DSC00155 DSC00163 DSC00151 DSC00152 DSC00156 DSC00157 DSC00158 DSC00168

Beauty – Hair, Face & Nails – Sera Beauty Lounge

Now you’ve found your perfect dress, suit and accessories (presumably) , you can’t forget about your bridal ‘look’!

Sera Beauty Lounge in Media City is a lush beauty lounge run by sisters – Sema & Raqi, adding the first letters in their names to make ‘Sera’.

DSC00133

Sera Beauty Lounge Dubai

Walking In…

Sera Beauty Lounge Dubai

The Spa

They do all things beauty – lash extensions to long lasting nail polish they recommend for brides 4-5 days before the wedding, which will last through your honeymoon. And Yes! They also do black/afro hair.

Sera Beauty Lounge Dubai

Mani/Pedi Area

Sera Beauty Lounge

Tara, Me, Owner

The stylist Tara (in black, on the left) works a lot with African – especially Kenyan – air hostesses from Emirates and Etihad for their weddings as they get a special discount. She also works with a lot of African Americans.

An alternative to going to a hairdresser in ‘Dubai proper’ is to get someone from Derai – it’s the older part of Dubai – a little bit on the outskirts, but a lot of Nigerians and Africans live there.

With a lot of looking around and a little bit of research, you can find someone to do your hair/makeup in Dubai.

***

That’s it for Part 2! Watch out tomorrow for the final installment of BN Weddings in Dubai, where we’ll talk hotels, invitations and general tips!

Vendors

PR/ Wedding Consultants: Grace & Garbo – graceandgarbo.com

Wedding Dresses: Contessa Dubai – contessa.ae

Wedding Dresses: Warda Haute Couture – wardahautecouture.com

Groom & Groomsmen Suits: Franklin Eugene – franklineugene.com

Reception Dresses: The DRESS Room – thedressroom.com

Reception/Bridesmaids Dresses: Al Hanaa Center – alhanaa.ae

Hair, Face & Nails: Sera Beauty Lounge – serabeautylounge.com

We love weddings as much as you do – get in touch for inquiries, inspiration & more!

E-mail: weddings (at) bellanaija.com | E-mail for #AsoEbiBella: asoebibella (at) gmail.com

Instagram: BellaNaijaWeddings  | Instagram for #AsoEbiBella: AsoEbiBella
Twitter: BellaNaijaWed
Pinterest: BellaNaijaWed

1. Paloma

May 20, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Wow! i love d first wedding gown! jt my kinda gown i wuld love 2 wear on my wedding day 😀

2. Fashionbabe

May 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm

coo!

3. tinnnu 29

May 20, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Nice one BN! Pls where is the best place to buy wedding rings In Dubai,thanks

• Lagos is my home

May 20, 2014 at 11:14 pm

i bought mine from Gold and diamond park , there is a store called Cara or kara (i forget) ………..i love mine , so many options to choose from and make sure you haggle a bit if you see one you love.

• Spice

May 21, 2014 at 10:58 am

I got mine from Gold and Diamond park. There are alot of great options there.

p.s BN its Deira not Derai

4. efe

May 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

popley @ gold souq

5. happychick

May 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

totally fab!! luv most the bridal dresses, and Al Hanna Center is a must visit when am shopping for my reception dress….#that red dress especially# my body will do it gud justice hehehehehehe I cant wait biko

6. Janey

May 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm

anything African hair at very affordable prices, you will get from Deira around that Diplomatic hotel, lots of african saloons there.

7. Berry Dakara

May 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I never thought I would say this after all the stress, but I wanna get married again!!! I want a new dress :p

berrydakara.blogspot.com

8. Fabulicious

May 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

You seem to have been working on this Dubai feature for sometime now cos I recognize this your cute red dress from IG.

9. Mz Socially Awkward....

May 20, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I find it interesting that some of the dresses (and even a couple of mannequins) looked almost too risqué for a society which is predominantly Muslim populated.

• Tumzzy

May 21, 2014 at 7:26 am

I agree.

• Faith

May 21, 2014 at 9:46 am

my dear you are very right about it. My friend from saudi arabia that the girls find a way around the rules. When they have private parties(only girls),the miniskirts and other skimpy clothing comes out.So don’t worry they are wearing it lol

10. maya

May 21, 2014 at 12:29 am

Dubai is the least conservative of the UAE cities and also arab women dress for their husbands and other females. Most of their weddings unless the couple and their families are uber liberal are usually segregated so the women kind of compete in who dressed the best nothing serious I have been to a few of their weddings and i shall never repeat the mistake i made when i attended my first arab muslim wedding. Here i was thinking everyone would be in hijabs and all black burquas so i dressed down. Shock on me when women turned up with their hair in elaborate hairstyles and strapless gowns! It looked like a beauty pageant up in there too many gorgeous females all in one room!

11. Rita

May 21, 2014 at 1:23 am

pls i need info on how to get the 1st wedding dress.. my wedding is in August need to get ready now and the RED dress pls kindly feed me back.. thanks.

• Anon

May 21, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Check the post, the name of the vendors are all up there. I think the wedding dresses are from contessa.ae.

• Anon

May 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm

also check bellanaija.com/2013/12/10/bn-bridal-marquess-warda-haute-couture-by-rahil-hesan-in-dubai/

12. www.blogsvila.blogspot.com

May 21, 2014 at 5:00 am

lovely, beautiful, splendid, breathtaking, alluring, awesome, out-of-this-world….

13. jameskirkup

May 21, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I’m so lucky today that I was able to read your post which gives me a lot of ideas .thanks for a post

14. Jackie

May 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm

The more I see wedding dresses, the more I think of going back to store again…lovely dresses…

15. African Salon

May 25, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Book us for our hair, steam bath, nails and make-up with top quality products – MAC, Black Opal, Sleek, MUD, Mizani..

16. www.eclecticstyle.me

June 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

omdzz. Gorgeous gowns !!!!!! that red gown is all shades of gorgeous

17. anon

July 2, 2014 at 4:18 pm

warda has unique and beautiful wedding dress. But its so expensive for an average bride. its 15000DIRHAM least wedding dress from warda couture. it will be very good to let people know the price of the least dress so one budget and see if there is a need visiting dubai. Good job bella naija.

18. amira

September 28, 2018 at 11:02 am

It’s really nice and mainly i would like to mention about the wedding gowns that you have mentioned there and they were really beautiful. I just loved it. When i visited Dubai last time i check some of the collection online at the store Ounass and they were really good i have not read this article at that time otherwise my selection in the way of picking a gown would be so much different. Thanks for the article and keep posting

19. James Dunn

April 18, 2019 at 8:29 am

Marriage is beautiful and it comes everyone’s life once. Few lucky one’s experience it twice. Such a lovely dress, you looks pretty in it.

20. Fatima

April 26, 2019 at 8:46 am

I really a nice piece of information with a wonderful knowledge of Gown for the wedding in the UAE. Next month one of my friends have marriage and looking for some of the gowns just like the pictures which you have shared. I will definitely share these links with her and see what ideas she can adopt form your post. I will really love to see more post similar to this that can help me.

21. Aayat

May 20, 2019 at 7:26 am

Interesting post and all bride clothes are very nice,