Music

India Arie Writes Open Letter to Blue Ivy Carter’s Hair Critics

India Arie - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com
Stop it Internet, Blue Ivy Carter is just two years old.

The daughter of music’s power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé is often criticised online because her parents have refused to “comb her hair”.

Just recently, there was an online petition requesting the couple to comb her locks – read it here.

American singer India Arie has penned an open letter on the trending topic.

Read the open letter;

My thoughts on #BlueIvy’s Hair
Why does ANYone get the idea that its ok to make fun of a child?
In public no less?

This celebrity culture that hypnotizes people into thinking a person is LITERALLY NOT REAL because you see them on television is a spell the watcher HIM or HER SELF MUST BREAK.

Blue Ivy — is a CHILD.

and ANYONE thinking to themselves right now:

“But she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth so what does it matter what I say”

Denying ANY PERSON their humanity , is a GAME we should ALL stop playing.

WHY?

Because it’s the kind of PERSON YOU WANT TO BE.

Why NOT be a person who is loving towards human kind as a whole AND people as individuals?
WHY NOT be a person protects the hearts of children?

I think! all these people making negative comments would feel the SAME WAY if Blue Ivy’s hair were TOO DONE. If she had a relaxer, of Hair pulled too tight at the edges.

being gentle with a child’s hair is simply appropriate – this goes the same for ALL children.

come ya’ll Lol

Were ARE better than this.

India

Beyoncé is probably with Blue Ivy Carter doing this right now, ignoring all the buzz.
Beyonce & Blue Ivy Carter - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com

1. sum1special

June 17, 2014 at 4:32 pm

She is right. social media has given people the guts to bully on celebrity children which is wrong. That was how Joan Rivers called North West ugly. That is so wrong on every level.

• Ms. Reid

August 30, 2014 at 2:12 am

In the case of Blue Ivy everybody in their right mind knows that they were not actually speaking to Beyoncé’s and Jay-Z”s daughter, and it also wasn’t meant to be offensive. It was meant for Beyoncé and Jay-Z since they’re the child’s parents. Why would Ms. Tran ever need to say something unnecessarily about Blue Ivy? There was never a need for her to do such a thing, she was only making a statement because Ms. Tran is I’m sure smart enough to know that Blue Ivy is not yet old enough to respond to Ms. Tran, she was merely making a statement, and the statement she made was an honest one. Why would parents allow their child to go out in public with her like that? Because with all the money that they have she has no reason to go out in public looking like that, its really sad like they’re schedule is much too busy to get and keep her hair permed and washed and scalp and hair greased and plaited, or at least greased, combed, brushed, and plaited, and if they don’t know how, or are way too busy, find somebody to do it. With her hair looking like it looks now, I’ll do it if it was at all possible because if only Blue Ivy knew how her parents were bringing her out in public for the whole world to see, they’d be ashamed of themselves. Beyoncé has her wigs and Jay-Z has his haircuts, and Blue Ivy has her I’m going to call it her non-groomed hair which is her parents fault. I don’t know why BET and India Arie are tripping over what was said, because it was the truth, but oh wait a minute, people always get upset when you’re telling them the truth because the truth is hard to handle even for famous people. Miss. India Arie should stop talking because she doesn’t go out in public with her hair like Blue Ivy’s so what is she trying to do , nothing I hope because if it wasn’t for all of those scarves and hats or whatever she’s usually wearing on her head her hair would look the same way. So since she can’t make a better point of all of this then she shouldn’t even comment. I truly believe that in America there aren’t many mothers that would let their daughter’s hair look like Blue Ivy’s, I’m sure of it. Most mothers would if they didn’t do their daughter’s hair like I mentioned earlier they’d at least opt for braids just so it wouldn’t look so wooly and would look decent for being out in public, because right now the way Blue Ivy looks is not good and even though its not it should be a form of child abuse when the parents look better than their child, my mother never let me have my hair or anything else about me go uncared for, and I’m so grateful for it too. Why would they want their daughter to look like one of those children from one of those third world countries, because that’s what she looks like, and those children over there also just like Blue Ivy, doesn’t have a choice, but Blue Ivy is in a better environment than those children, where hair supplies are plentiful. When Blue Ivy grows up and sees herself as a little girl, she’ll probably wonder why her parents took her out in front of people with her hair like that? And she should have questions about it too. She’ll be in her right to want them to tell her why they allowed that. As for Miss. Tran, I feel that she’s owed an apology because she only spoke what she felt, where in America we have free speech, and the only reason for any comments as to how her parents should fix her hair is because of genuine concern and care for Blue Ivy. They should be grateful that we as their fans care .

2. TINU

June 17, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I am not my Hair, i am not this skin, i am not your expectation no…… *Singing* #nuffsaid

3. www.worldshocker.blogspot.com

June 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

That’s Right.
    see my blog: worldshocker.blogspot.com

4. Felinda1

June 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm

The stupid foolish idiots who started the petition need to spat on and feases thrown on them. Nonsense

5. spareme

June 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Totally unacceptable crap! How can people stoop so low as to attack a defenceless two year old. You might hide behind a key board, However whoever sows misery…………

6. Jo!

June 17, 2014 at 6:40 pm

*SIGH* I don’t understand why my generation takes life this seriously, Someone started a stupid petition, I actually saw it as a joke and laughed like crazy, almost signed it to be part of the fun. Now someone else is writing an open letter, on top what?
    Does Blue Ivy care? Do you think Bey cares? Or Jay? Abeg abeg abeg, laugh and move on, life is too short

• mrs chidukane

June 18, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Who told you they don’t care? Are they robots? They don’t have feelings? Or do you think they don’t go online or watch tv? How would you feel if someone criticized your choices to your back? You won’t care I guess. I remember an episode of kuwtk I saw, kim was reading an article on Daily Mail and I was shocked knowing how they speak ill of them. I guess the Golden rule only applies to human beings ie non celebs and not Robots ie celebrities.

7. Naveah

June 17, 2014 at 8:07 pm

India should go and sit down somewhere jare, is she trying to curry favor with Beyoncé so she can help her fledgling career? Most of what I read online was not a direct attack on Blue Ivy, people mostly commented on the fact that her mother treats herself to thousands of dollars in weaves and wigs yet her child’s hair looks like it has not seen a comb in months! I am one of those who agreed (not with the petition business, that was a bit extreme), if the child’s scalp is too tender then cut the hair off but don’t have that child going around with matted hair in knots looking unkempt unless Jay and Beyoncé are now rastafari. After all the talking, she finally combed and put the child’s hair in a pony tail. They are public figures which puts them under higher scrutiny and that’s the way it is whether they like it or not.

• newbie

June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am

‘fledgling’ career? You want to look up that word, missy. India Arie has been around for ages, even if you think her career is now flagging.

8. ibi

June 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm

….my grouse is…..her hair looked uncombed
    which does make it seem her parents were negligent
    i don’t give a rat’s ass about the petition
    it just makes sense that people should be groomed before they leave home
    they know they will get photographed anyway…

9. chi-e-z

June 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm

So when people were talking about this.I thought it wasn’t even real.You mean people were so vulgar as to petition to tell a parent what to do with their own child’s hair. What the hell it’s not even their child and the girl’s hair even looks good. What the f#ck is wrong with people nowadays.

• chi-e-z

June 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Plus if black women actually wore their naturally curly hair they would know finger detangling is better for their hair that way their sensitive hair wouldn’t be breaking off all the time.

10. Yusuf

June 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Haba this celebrities are normal human beings. People should stop expecting a perfect life from them. You only see one picture of blue Ivy’s hair in a bad state and you are judging the parents. What if it’s one of those day they are doing their errands and needed to leave the quickly? Most parents are guilty of this so don’t accuse.

11. Idak

June 17, 2014 at 11:25 pm

This is what happens when your career dies an abrupt death and all that crap new age philosophy begin to mess with your head.
    India.Arie needs to find something more productive to occupy her time.

12. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

June 18, 2014 at 1:34 am

Blue Ivy looks so much like her daddy.

13. Tosin

June 18, 2014 at 11:33 am

The last time I read an india.arie open letter (open letter to the grammys, five months ago) I discovered the a-mazing rap artist named Kendrick Lamar. Thanks India.

14. kay

June 18, 2014 at 1:50 pm

People just need to worry about themselves insead of worrying about if a child’s hair has been combed. I personally, depending on the type of hair a child has, would not comb if combing would cause alot of pulling in a tender scalp. Let the parents make their own decisions as far as what’s best for the baby. Judge an adult, but dont judge children who would soon learn how to read and cause detrimental flaws to their self esteem and development when they stumble across this non sense.