Career

Meet UNILAG’S Youngest Medical School Graduate: 21 Year Old Maryam Opeyemi Raji

BellaNaija.com

Maryam Bella Naija

We just love to hear inspirational stories of African youth achieving their dreams!

Maryam Opeyemi Raji, 21, is the youngest graduating medical student at the College of Medicine at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) for the 2012/13 academic session.

Maryam was awarded her certificate on Wednesday, June 11th. Here’s what she had to say about graduating:

“It was my dad’s dream I become a medical doctor. Unfortunately I lost him at age 8. People around me, especially my mum, nurtured the dream. She helped me keep the goal, it was very challenging but having her around kept me focused. Luckily for me, I finished my secondary education at an early age, and at 15, I gained admission to study medicine at the University of Lagos. Here I am today, I am being celebrated as the youngest medical student.”

Congratulations Maryam!

1. missme

June 15, 2014 at 1:12 am

Congrats hun. More blessings

2. bebe beebee

June 15, 2014 at 2:25 am

hmmm, am happy for you dear.

i remember when i finsihed secondry school before my 15th bday with an all credit result…..stayed home for 2 years only to gain admission into a polytechnic…..right now am at a lost as to where my life is leading as i am working as a customer care representative even after i studied Architecture 2 HND Level…can use CAD and other applications but stignatized due to HND.

Maryam, keep the flag flying and know that a whole lot of us would still encourage our kids to excel due to stories like yours, not minding what we faced.

Congratulations Doctor Maryam.

• Abody

July 4, 2014 at 11:38 am

Bebe, think of what you can do. Probably setting up a firm of yours. Then you have to change your mindset away from the stigmatization as it may affect your dream or career. Reposition your mind and work towards fulfillment of your dream. You know better what you want than anyone else. May God help you.

3. Tosin

June 15, 2014 at 2:49 am

Awww, lovely. Good luck and many more achievements to you, aaamin.

4. xtophee

June 15, 2014 at 8:46 am

congrats my youngest doctor. but what drags my attention is the age which u gain admission l believe jamb and university of Lagos should be questioned for admitting a 15 Ur student contrary to the provisions for admission.

• clementine

June 17, 2014 at 12:39 am

Congrats my dear.Wishing you all the best.Seriously the question of age is still a big food of thought.

5. Vortex

June 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

Always inspiring to see very young people achieve wonderful feats especially in today’s world where most of us are more concerned about the wrong things. Good on her. May she grow from strength to strength.

6. Jumkky

June 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I am happy for you Opeyemi, the light upon u will never die.
    To UNILAG, your double standard is discouraging, my son cleared his WAEC and JAMB four years ago but the university disallowed his seating for post jam due to being 15yrs and I had to pay for private university. This is unfair, #godiswatchingu.

7. SS

June 15, 2014 at 4:36 pm

congratulations opeyemi raji

8. funky

June 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I wonder what age u gt admission into unilag bcs my boss daughter is 15yrs old,very brilliant girl,unilag refuse to admit her bcs she’s nt yet 16 mainwhl she wl be 16 ds sept,I wonder why they are braggng abt graduating d youngest doctor,youngest Ph.D holder,unilag management has questions to anwer.

9. BB

June 16, 2014 at 9:13 am

i graduated at the age of 20..BN u need to celebrate me *big smile*

• free mind

June 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm

like seriously? …..BN plz letz celebrate BB

10. Spanky Dude

June 16, 2014 at 12:57 pm

i also graduated at the age of 19………..BN Dint celebrate me 🙁
    Congrats Mariam………Keep it up, the Sky is your beginning

11. Smilling

June 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Congrats Opeyemi Raji. I am very happy you were able to fulfill your late daddy’s dream. For those complaining about unilag and their standard, i remain mute about this. I av a neighbour who finished secondary school at 13 and gained admission the next year, how he did it? i don’t know. Bellanaija you also need to celebrate me ooo for real. I finished secondary school at age 13, got my dip in Law cert at age 15, gained admission into a private uni to study mass comm at age 16, had my B.Sc Mass Communication at age 20, went for service, at 22 i already barged my M.Sc Mass Communication from Unilag. Oya start celebrating me for real…..lol.

• Opinion

June 17, 2014 at 12:43 am

All u seeking to be celebrated, try going to medical school and then u will understand the hype. That degree is worth a lot of unimaginable work and emotional stress.

• Idak

June 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

Make I hear word. It is nothing out of the ordinary.
      You think it is easier reading law, engineering, architecture etc?
      Medicine has its own peculiarities,no doubt but anyone who excels at any course is worthy of celebration.

12. Smilling

June 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Congrats Opeyemi Raji. I am very happy you were able to fulfill your late daddy’s dream. For those complaining about unilag and their standard, i remain mute about this. I av a neighbour who finished secondary school at 13 and gained admission the next year, how he did it? i don’t know. Bellanaija, you also need to celebrate me ooo for real. I finished secondary school at age 13, got my dip in Law cert at age 15, gained admission into a private uni to study mass comm at age 16, had my B.Sc Mass Communication at age 20, went for service, at 22 i already barged my M.Sc Mass Communication from Unilag. Oya start celebrating me for real…..lol.

13. BB

June 16, 2014 at 4:47 pm

@ Freemind,yes i did..and abt my age..i am always shy to say it in public

14. Hannah

June 16, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Graduated at the age 20 too. Congrats Doc Opeyemi Raji

15. yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

June 17, 2014 at 5:40 am

So proud of you for attaining such lofty heights at such a young age. Your dad must be so proud of you wherever he is. Congrats 🙂

16. wumnice

June 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

congrat dear, thanks to God that ur dream was well nurtured and here u are today been celebrated.

17. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls

June 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Congrats Opeyemi…may the Lord crown ur efforts with favor and grace.

18. Khady

June 24, 2014 at 8:33 am

Congrats Opeyemi!

19. Timothy Ozovehe

August 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I love my school, always proud of Unilag.

Greatest akokaite!!!

20. Unilag Ambassador

August 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm

The school of first choice and the nation’s pride

21. umm hayman abdul wasii

August 16, 2014 at 7:37 pm

well if you need a greater foundation for your ward join the vanguard family because that where maryam got her foundation am proud to be among VA [vanguard academy] family

22. khadijah mikail

September 28, 2014 at 6:08 am

this is wonderful, once a vanguards always a vanguards that is why i love vanguards and am proud to be in vanguards where there is academy excellence. good dos to al Qaswa foundation

23. Adeoye