News

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera: The Essential Beauty Checklist

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera  - Bellanaija - July2014

In my quest for beauty perfection, I have spent a copious amount of time and money tying to figure out what skincare and makeup products work best for me. It’s been even more difficult in recent times because of the numerous amounts of products out there claiming to perform one miracle or the other.

Thankfully the beauty industry experts have also realized this and we’ve had a shift from makeup as a cover-up to makeup as skincare. As a result I’ve also taken a back to basics approach to my beauty regimen and my skin has thanked me for it. My essential beauty checklist is tried and tested and I absolutely cannot do without these …

1. Facial Cleanser: Everyone’s bathroom cabinet should have this. If you don’t use anything else on your face, this is a must have! Make sure you use the right one for your skin type to effectively take off dirt, grease, makeup and also control any skin conditions you may be battling such as excess oil, dryness, acne or hypersensitivity.

My Top Cleansers: VIDerm Cleanser for all skin types, Origins Clean Energy cleansing oil for all skin types – this is also great for make up removal.

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera Beauty Essentials Checklist - Bellanaija - July20140012

2. Tinted Moisturizer: This has got to be the greatest beauty invention of the century. In summary it’s a hydrating moisturizer, liquid foundation, primer, sun protection (usually SPF15 and above) and highlighter in one. Some also have correcting serums built in such as dark spot correctors or pore minimizers. Although it doesn’t give you the full coverage that a foundation would, it’s a perfect all in one for those days we want a break from the layers of makeup or for those who don’t have hours to apply makeup on a daily basis.

My Top Tip: If you want a little more coverage without the weight of an actual foundation, I would recommend a beauty balm also known as a BBcream. It has all the benefits of a tinted moisturiser with just a little more coverage. Smashbox and Nars have a wonderful range of colours for dark skin tones.

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera Beauty Essentials Checklist - Bellanaija - July20140013

3. Lip Conditioner: There’s nothing more unappealing than chapped lips. The main cause of this is dehydration and also using the wrong lip balms; a lot of lip balms contain alcohol, phenol and camphor. The upside of this is that it gives you instantly softer and shinier lips but on the downside it is actually stripping your skin of its natural moisture oils and so in the long run your lips end up even drier than before. The aim is to drink lots of fluids and apply a lip conditioner that exfoliates dry skin while restoring moisture.

My Top Tip: Soft and plump lips are an instant beauty booster and can be achieved with Elemis Minty Moisture Lip Balm, EOS Lip Balm or Dermalogica Climate Control Lip Treatment. Some brands also make tinted lip conditioners that add a little colour to your pout; my personal favourite is MAC’s Tinted Lip Conditioner in Fuchsia Fix, it also contains SPF15.

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera Beauty Essentials Checklist - Bellanaija - July20140014

4. Hydrating / Brightening Mist: I never leave my house without this because it’s a “pick me up” for my skin especially during the later hours of the day. I usually spray it on after applying my tinted moisturizer as it gives my skin a dewy finish and subtle glow. Usually I re-spray after 4-5 hours or whenever I feel like my skin needs a boost. Two sprays give instant hydration and radiance that leaves you fresh-faced all day long.

My Top Mists: Dermalogica Multi-Activ Toner and Circadia Brightening Mist.

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera Beauty Essentials Checklist - Bellanaija - July20140015

5. Eye Drops: I know this isn’t your typical beauty must-have but it’s one of my top essential grooming products. Your eyes highlight your beauty and so it’s important they are bright and sparkly at all times. Two drops before applying my mascara makes such a huge difference. My favourite is Optrex Brightening Drops.

6. Mascara: Your eyes are the windows to your soul, and there’s nothing that frames those show stoppers better than a good mascara. There’s a mascara for every look you’re trying to achieve ranging from volume, to length and to curve. Personally I use an all-in-one mascara that gives me all three simply because it saves me time and also when it comes to eyes…bigger is better!

My Top all-in-one Mascaras: YSL Shocking False Lash Effect, MAC Opulash and Eyeko Black Magic.

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera Beauty Essentials Checklist - Bellanaija - July20140016

There you have it! Now tell me, what beauty fixes can you not go a day without?

Photo Credit: www.vipeel.com | www.origins.com | www.imabeautygeek.com | www.beautifulmakeupsearch.com | www.beautyzine.com | www.shopcinemasecrets.com | www.ulta.com | www.circadia.com | www.superdrug.com | www.johnlewis.com | www.maybemouse.wordpress.com |

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
BN Beauty Nest with Ameera - BellaNaija - September 2013Ameera Abraham is the Creative Director at The Nail Bar, a luxury nail spa and wellness centre located in Abuja. She’s a qualified aesthetician and is passionate about all things beauty!

1. www.ANEMISTYLE.com

July 25, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Lovely article, never really considered the brightening eye drops always assumed they don’t work.

2. Steph

July 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I believe there are much cheaper products that do either exactly the same or even better than the ones listed above.

• latifa

July 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm

• ..just saying

July 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

She made emphasis on “my favorite”. These are therefore her favorite. products and she has written about them..If you use the cheaper ones, perhaps you can write your own article.

• Iziecom

July 25, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Ameera aka just saying. She will write an article but learn to take criticism. Writing on this platform you should appeal to a wide range of people. You are not tiwa or Rita Dominic for anybody to care about your personal products

• Anais

July 26, 2014 at 2:18 am

Then why don’t you post them and enlighten us?

3. gace

July 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I don’t understand y u Wud give names that are not easily accessible and somewhat expensive. A nice mix of lower and higher end products Wud have made reading your post more enjoyable..

• Ameera Abraham

July 25, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Most products are easily accessible and I will be happy to provide you with location listings. Also the idea is for you to find these products -should you want to use them – in brands that are suitable for you.

4. RAINBOW

July 25, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Can you help us with the names of the cheaper products dear Steph?

• brules

July 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm

lols @help us with the name of cheaper products,i’m waiting too

5. ..just saying

July 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm

to showcase them

6. barbie

July 25, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Tanks though…buh what abt ur favorite body lotion, u didn’t mention it

• Ameera Abraham

July 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm

You’re welcome. Personally I have super dry skin so I use a whipped shea butter by Emi & Ben. What’ s your skin type? I will be happy to recommend one based on that.

7. Person

July 25, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Will check some of these products out, I am kuku a junkie to start with, lol. If I write out everything I currently have in rotation…

8. barbie

July 25, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I don’t really know my skin type buh I tink I ve combination type of skin nd I use QEI+ wit d serum and d soap. How do I know my skin type and what’s d best body lotion for it

• Ameera Abraham

July 26, 2014 at 11:27 am

For your skin (body) the most important thing is hydration and locking in moisture. My top recommendations for this would be Body shops Vitamin E body butter, Vaseline Essential Moisture body butter, Neutrogena Deep Moisture body lotion and a natural alternative would be pure shea butter whipped with coconut oil (you can do this at home). Hope this helps xx

• april

August 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm

please what soap do you recommend for dry skin and for the face. Thanks

9. adeze nwa

July 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Cool. Nice write up and recommendations. Personally, I still stick with House of Tara when it comes to mascara and lips products. Don’t misunderstand me, am not saying the ones Miss Abraham mentioned are bad, just suggesting brands that I have tested, that are somewhat ok and yet affordable. ( also for my sister’s above who are seeking affordable and easily accessible ones). Peace and love

10. adeze nwa

July 25, 2014 at 9:06 pm

For skin, am all for Vaseline,( though am fair complexioned) it still remains my sure true tried and tested skin moisturizer. The way it softens and smoothes my skin s amazes me. That is why when some of my female colleagues beat their heads on how they tried this cream and that cream (expensive ones at that) and I look at thier skins and mine, am just baffled. Although everybody has different skin types ( what works for the goose must not work for the gander), however Vaseline was and still WORKS WONDERS!!!!

• DocDeola

July 26, 2014 at 9:06 am

vaseline is brilliant because it acts as barrier so traps all the moisture hence keeping skin soft and hydrated.. creams by definition are water based hence they can leave skin feeling dry when the water evaporates especially when alcohol is added to the mix.
      I read a great article on dailymail about what dermatologists use for their skin…they mentioned a lot of cheaper options.
      I also find that these cosmetic companies use smaller percentage of clinically active agent change their name and times ten the price. retinoids are great for antiageing and if u can get it on prescription even better and cheaper.
      molton browns lip balm is great and bobbie browns mascara I find brilliant as well.
      The biggest comment on skin though is keeping clean., moisturising and spf for the face. everything else is a plus or minus

11. MyHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

July 25, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I love Dermalogica!!!

Great list of products! Being a cleanser junkie, I have to add these to the list

You can determine your skin type by your pore size and studying the areas of your face where you produce oil, and how often.

12. wendy

July 25, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I remember my days of product junkie, product ashewo etc…I used to go for the high end stuff. Name it.. i am there…. But i have learned that the simpler the better. The less chemical the better and it does not go by the price….I just stick to very simple routine now…no more hassle… I use Body shop or trader Joe tea tree soap, Neutragena rapid tone day moisturizer, Body Shop Sea Weed Mask, L ‘occitance brightening water and Scrub…I use pure vitamin E oil at night…

• Larissa

July 31, 2014 at 2:49 pm

How can i get the pure vit E oil?

13. nene

July 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm

exfoliants are important too: st ives apricot scrub!

14. Damieyy

July 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm

@Ameera, in your next post can you please enlightwn us all on cellulite. thanks

15. barbie

July 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Ok , tanks. Which soap would go wit the creams, will the creams lighten up my skin( tone), were and how can i get these products