In my quest for beauty perfection, I have spent a copious amount of time and money tying to figure out what skincare and makeup products work best for me. It’s been even more difficult in recent times because of the numerous amounts of products out there claiming to perform one miracle or the other.
Thankfully the beauty industry experts have also realized this and we’ve had a shift from makeup as a cover-up to makeup as skincare. As a result I’ve also taken a back to basics approach to my beauty regimen and my skin has thanked me for it. My essential beauty checklist is tried and tested and I absolutely cannot do without these …
1. Facial Cleanser: Everyone’s bathroom cabinet should have this. If you don’t use anything else on your face, this is a must have! Make sure you use the right one for your skin type to effectively take off dirt, grease, makeup and also control any skin conditions you may be battling such as excess oil, dryness, acne or hypersensitivity.
My Top Cleansers: VIDerm Cleanser for all skin types, Origins Clean Energy cleansing oil for all skin types – this is also great for make up removal.
2. Tinted Moisturizer: This has got to be the greatest beauty invention of the century. In summary it’s a hydrating moisturizer, liquid foundation, primer, sun protection (usually SPF15 and above) and highlighter in one. Some also have correcting serums built in such as dark spot correctors or pore minimizers. Although it doesn’t give you the full coverage that a foundation would, it’s a perfect all in one for those days we want a break from the layers of makeup or for those who don’t have hours to apply makeup on a daily basis.
My Top Tip: If you want a little more coverage without the weight of an actual foundation, I would recommend a beauty balm also known as a BBcream. It has all the benefits of a tinted moisturiser with just a little more coverage. Smashbox and Nars have a wonderful range of colours for dark skin tones.
3. Lip Conditioner: There’s nothing more unappealing than chapped lips. The main cause of this is dehydration and also using the wrong lip balms; a lot of lip balms contain alcohol, phenol and camphor. The upside of this is that it gives you instantly softer and shinier lips but on the downside it is actually stripping your skin of its natural moisture oils and so in the long run your lips end up even drier than before. The aim is to drink lots of fluids and apply a lip conditioner that exfoliates dry skin while restoring moisture.
My Top Tip: Soft and plump lips are an instant beauty booster and can be achieved with Elemis Minty Moisture Lip Balm, EOS Lip Balm or Dermalogica Climate Control Lip Treatment. Some brands also make tinted lip conditioners that add a little colour to your pout; my personal favourite is MAC’s Tinted Lip Conditioner in Fuchsia Fix, it also contains SPF15.
4. Hydrating / Brightening Mist: I never leave my house without this because it’s a “pick me up” for my skin especially during the later hours of the day. I usually spray it on after applying my tinted moisturizer as it gives my skin a dewy finish and subtle glow. Usually I re-spray after 4-5 hours or whenever I feel like my skin needs a boost. Two sprays give instant hydration and radiance that leaves you fresh-faced all day long.
My Top Mists: Dermalogica Multi-Activ Toner and Circadia Brightening Mist.
5. Eye Drops: I know this isn’t your typical beauty must-have but it’s one of my top essential grooming products. Your eyes highlight your beauty and so it’s important they are bright and sparkly at all times. Two drops before applying my mascara makes such a huge difference. My favourite is Optrex Brightening Drops.
6. Mascara: Your eyes are the windows to your soul, and there’s nothing that frames those show stoppers better than a good mascara. There’s a mascara for every look you’re trying to achieve ranging from volume, to length and to curve. Personally I use an all-in-one mascara that gives me all three simply because it saves me time and also when it comes to eyes…bigger is better!
My Top all-in-one Mascaras: YSL Shocking False Lash Effect, MAC Opulash and Eyeko Black Magic.
There you have it! Now tell me, what beauty fixes can you not go a day without?
Photo Credit: www.vipeel.com | www.origins.com | www.imabeautygeek.com | www.beautifulmakeupsearch.com | www.beautyzine.com | www.shopcinemasecrets.com | www.ulta.com | www.circadia.com | www.superdrug.com | www.johnlewis.com | www.maybemouse.wordpress.com |
Ameera Abraham is the Creative Director at The Nail Bar, a luxury nail spa and wellness centre located in Abuja. She’s a qualified aesthetician and is passionate about all things beauty!