Music

Exclusive: “Boko Haram Accept My Virginity Offer” – Adokiye speaks to BN on Her Strange Plea

Adokiye on BellaNaija.com - BN Music - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01Adokiye sure knows how to make a news splash.

If you didn’t know her earlier in the year, there is a chance that you do now.

The rising Nigerian pop star and actress made global headlines for her recent statement, in which she offered her virginity to Islamist militant sect Boko Haram, in return for the 200+ school girls abducted in the Chibok area of Borno state in April.

“This is 11pm in the night and do you know what I am thinking about? Those little girls, where they are and what could be happening to them. It is just unfair. They are too young. I wish I could offer myself in exchange.

They are between 12 and 15 year old girls for Christ sake. I am older and more experienced. Even if 10 to12 men have to take me every night, I don’t care. Just release these girls and let them go back to their parents.” the 23-year-old told the Vanguard Newspaper.

A lot of international media outlets including Daily Mail UK, Huffington Post and The Independent UK, have also picked up on the story.

This isn’t the first time Adokiye has spoken publicly about her virginity. A few years ago, she offered herself to any man who could by her mother a private jet.

BellaNaija.com got in touch with her. Here is what she had to say.

Adokiye (4)

Questions
Let’s set the records straight, Is this a publicity stunt to promote your music and image?

“I made an open offer to some group of people. The question is why they haven’t accepted my request? They should gather up the girls, prepare them for release and then I am sure they will find out if I’m still a virgin.

Publicity card to promote my music and image?

Let me take us back to when this whole thing started, these same people called it “Scam”, “Publicity Card” by the Government and now look where we are today.

A lot of Nigerians are unbelievers and I’d say it is mainly some of our problems today. I am not stupid to play with something like this, let me even ask! Promote what music? I have not released any music or plan to even release any music anytime soon. So what music am I promoting?

As for my image, if crying for freedom for the release of innocent children, a reminder to the nation that kids are still missing is promoting my image, then I say to you, let my image soar!

Why are you so open about your virginity?

“Virginity has its own spiritual benefit.

A lot of girls that are virgins think virginity is not worth keeping probably because they are being mocked and called names, a lot of people say virginity is lack of opportunity.

So I am using this great opportunity to let the world know that if you are a girl and a virgin, oh you have a precious gift.

Make sure you end it up with a man who knows your worth, a man who knows what it means to have a pure lady. It is not a thing to be shameful about at all. Be proud.”

Do you feel in any way that your statement degrades women and trivializes the plight of the girls?

“It can only degrade a woman who does not appreciate womanhood/motherhood. If you are a true woman, you would understand my fight.

Before I go further, I’d like to let you know I run a charity foundation #ADOCHANGE. #ADOCHANGE is a charity foundation for the less privileged children, the motherless babies, kids who can’t speak for themselves.

Its mission is to stand for them and to make them live right. #ADOCHANGE will continue to fight for peace for the young ones, children with future so bright, our leaders of tomorrow. The children all around the world deserve a better life. And for that I stand like a mother.

Like a mother who can’t stand to see her children suffer. Yes I have a life to protect but that life would be worthless if I don’t stand by what I believe and that is protecting the kids I speak for. Do not miss the point, focus on my fight.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not promoting rape or pleading to be raped as what some people are making the situation seem like a joke but whatever those kids are going through, I say kids because we are not talking about girls anymore as you know little boys have joined in this.

Whatever it is they are going through, because we cannot see them, I would say should be thrown to me instead and allow them be freed.

I want to use this opportunity to apologise to all the women around the world who have gotten my fight twisted for some reasons or the other to see this as not only a selfless service to humanity but to fall back to the biblical times where Jesus urged us to be our brothers keeper and love others as we love ourselves.”

How do you feel about how viral your statements have gone?

“I thank God.

As noisy as I may sound, I thank God there are still intelligent people who understand my fight and where I am coming from.

It’s also a reminder to me again that indeed I have a mission here on earth. My point is very simple. I want the world to be restless until the kids are returned.”

How does your partner feel about the statement?

“I don’t have a boyfriend and I am not planning to have one anytime soon. I would say it is a distraction to me for now.”

Why the need to publicly state that the sect should come and take you?

“Forgive me to say that I am an Intelligential and I understand that the media has got a way of making people get things twisted, I get it and I don’t feel bad at all.

I thought by now, His Excellency, our Number one man, the President would have assigned reputable youths, intellects who share the same dreams with him, youths of our nation who can help to reduce this trauma we are going through.

The world has gone digital and youths are digital. Our nation’s youths are intelligent to fight this fight with our government.

I stand by my words to say I DON’T MIND BEING AN EXCHANGE FOR THE RELEASE OF THOSE KIDS SO THEY CAN GO BACK TO THEIR FAMILIES.

Whatever it is they are going through, for them to be released should be thrown to me. And If they have turned the young girls to their sex slaves, they should consider releasing them and turn me to one.”

On a final note, what projects are you currently working on?

“For now I am concentrating on reaching out to kids all around the world through my foundation, starting from Nigeria.

I have a new project “Kid’s Nation”, for the less privileged children. Showing their day to day activities how they live and how to make their lives better than what they already have.

I have had awesome support from people who believe these kids should get more in life and I am appealing to people to share this dream, life is incomplete without children. Let us give the kids a better life.”

#BringBackOurGirls!

1. onyx

July 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

Girl the more you open your mouth, the more stupid you sound

• Ghato

July 2, 2014 at 9:30 am

I think stupid would be you

• thomas

September 28, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Actually, boko haram replied her positively. After seeing her picture they offered her two pure sachets for her virginity.

2. Gistyinka Blog

July 2, 2014 at 9:14 am

I love the way she play her card in this viral approached of #BringBackOurGirls

3. Bella

July 2, 2014 at 9:41 am

This razz girl is the height of all stupidity. Does she have parents first of all. How was she raised? This it not a joke o and these girls need to get back to their families, their mothers are in distress and yet here she is making the most ridiculous remarks on social media. I hope she gets her wish.

4. Troll

July 2, 2014 at 10:14 am

This girl is tiring, I swear. How stupid can one get? Does she think this is a joke? Has she ever been raped, that she thinks she can open her mouth and call it upon herself. We all want these girls to come back but it doesn’t warrant stupid, ignorant and attention seeking comments. Nonsense.
    And she should stop claiming virgin, virginity no be for only biology. Just because say D never enter well, no mean say you be virgin.

• Tequi

July 4, 2014 at 9:30 am

your comment was almost a good read until you talked about her virginity. If she is virgin, what is your business? are you pained that so many guys have ridden on you? please, leave the girl alone and face your own struggle.

• Troll

July 4, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Awwww, honey. I think you’re confusing me with your mother

5. Troll

July 2, 2014 at 10:20 am

Bia BN, I like this your new theme oh but I don’t understand why your menu bar is following me up & down when I’m commenting with my iPad. And also, I’d suggest you create a “hate this” button for posts like this.

• sambisa must kpai

July 4, 2014 at 8:07 am

Hahahah. Dis z d best comment on dis article.

6. Chris

July 2, 2014 at 10:24 am

Speechless…

7. chukwuebuka

July 2, 2014 at 11:39 am

i think the girl is a good mother indeed,i support her,good day mrs virgin

8. onyinye

July 2, 2014 at 11:42 am

I dnt think she sounds stupid, I call it sacrifices and people shld respect dat and stop calling her names. For a woman 2 come out publicly demanding d release of d abducted girls dat are not in any way related 2 her in exchange of her virginity? I mean, is a brave step to take dan sitting down and writing #BringBackOurGirls# which I know most of us have neva written dat 4 once. What she’s portraying is action speaks louder dan voice and is a great sacrifice. I so respect and admire dat courage, big time.

• Tony

July 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Onyinye please take a seat. What stupid courage is she showing? Trying to gain popularity from a tragedy is no act of courage. People are dying, girls have been kidnapped and there is fear in the nation. Suddenly a psych wakes up to offer virginity. Is this the first time she has heard of someone being raped. Why did she not offer before in all the rape cases. Cheap cheap popularity. I know she must read these comments so my advise to this Lun is to zip it.
      BN as previously suggested please add Hate this!!

• ann

July 6, 2014 at 12:16 pm

pls stop d criticism, and try 2 understand her point, wat if her intention is nt 2 seek popularity. From all she said, she wz sounding more emotional dan realistic. Pls lets stop d name calling.

9. keity.

July 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

Bokoharam is politices not men craving 4 sexual pleasure. Somtimes nigerian’s should tink b4 talking. Am prety sure dey dont give a – bout ur virginty. Nd those gals dey raped are virgins am sure. So #ado tink of a beta way nd not sex. Ur virginity wont make buhari president.

10. Glory Shirley

July 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I truely admire ur courage and Passion, indeed I love how fearless you sound but dear, offering urself to these brutal killers is DOOM, maybe u think it will be easy 4 u to be raped constantly 4 God knows how long, u are a Virgin as you said so u cannot truely fathom what it means to be raped by a normal man not to talk of being raped as a Virgin by a group of Brutal men whom I consider no longer human beings. Dear, ur life will be shattered and u could be killed in the process, this Sect love such opportunities and here u are giving them one by offering ur virginity on a platter of Gold? It shouldn’t be, they dont deserve it. pls don’t put urself and family in a mess with what u say, and what makes u think one woman would be enough 4 a deadly sect? Ur just 23 and still a bit Naïve, U have passion indeed but dear this is a fOOLISH and DEADLY CALL u have just made. Am sure that the sect have heard ur call by now since they are monitoring d nation 247 on d internet and knows all d news, they may decide that ur pretty and come 4 u without releasing the girls,what will u do then,what would u now gain then?I pray and hope they don’t come 4 u.so Gurl pls be careful what u WISH 4.God has seen ur heart and will bless u 4 wantin to give urself 4 d sake of the children. Other opportunities to show ur true passion towards the less privileged will come but this is not SUCH opportunity. Pls WITHRAW…. I pray God will help u and show u d way OUT of this.

11. Ernie

July 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm

If I understand her perfectly,what she is trying to do is to ensure #bringbackourgirls campaign is not forgotten. Cos really we have all gone back to business as usual and completely or conveniently forgotten these children. Please be easy on Adokiye at least she is doing something. The question is what are you doing?

• Tony

July 2, 2014 at 6:27 pm

This is stupid assurance. She should go to Chibok and offer herself. Thats if BH would not cut her throat in a minute. Its better to sit quiet than to spill out garbage.
      Some people do not even know what courage means. So if i go jump into the ocean, i am courages. hahahaha

12. Chigo

July 2, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Wow “As noisy as she may sound” she is the Bravest of all.
    Adokiye is very intelligent. I love her for that.
    Yes. The world should be restless until the kids are released.
    Good one.

13. onyx

July 2, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hold up. So if i understand some of you correctly she’s brave for saying BH shold gang rape her in exchange for the girls? Does she understand what that means? You guys think Shekau would see this and go like ‘ok guys lets release the girls so we can screw this singer’. Yeah right. This makes a mockery of the campaign and demeans womanhood. Pls guys, there are better ways of keeping this campaign relevant rather than this.

14. princess

July 2, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’m on the fence here.. but can I also point out that she still did some sort of promo contrary to what she said in the beginning of this interview. (promoting her charity etc) which of course is a good feat… just… well…. #bringbackourgirls

15. Solomon

July 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm

@Bella the truth is. She sounds even more enlightened and trained than you. Exactly what adokiye is saying. A lot of you Nigerians just talk anyhow without thinking, insults people anyhow. Adokiye is obviously making people remember kids are still missing and I must say instead of insulting her you should applaud her for succeeding on that, for close to 3 weeks now this one girl has achieved making the world talk about our missing children. Are you trained properly? Do you have siblings? Do you have little sisters? Because if you did, you won’t be insulting her. The way Nigerians are trying to forget about those kids is not Good and I am sure God is somewhere watching us. He gave us lives to protect but we are destroying them rather. Nigeria lost match, people are sad but kids have been missing for 3 months now and no one is doing anything about it. Not nice at all. All you want to do is come here and insult someone is helping us cry the cry for the release of the kids. Think well before you insult.
    And I think Bella just opened my eyes again on her words, it’s clearer to me now. For people calling it Publicity stunt, she is asking what song is she promoting with it? If this Publicity stunt will bring back those kids, then I like it.
    Long Live Nigeria.
    Love from Malaysia
    #BringBackOurGirls

16. Ghana Media

July 2, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Small but mighty chic. It seems she has been hiding since. We need more women like her in Africa, we have too many market women in Nigeria.
    She knows what to do and how to do it.
    Getting attention of the international press, girl you one hell. God bless you adokiye #Respect #BraveHeart #BigHeart #GoodHeart

17. Tony

July 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Please lets stop putting God’s blessings on irrelevance. Has this girl visited Chibok? I guess no. Did Boko Harram ask for Sex?? No. So what are you all really applauding this child for? ignorance and stupidity? I just don’t get it. There is no minsing words. THIS IS COMPLETELY SOME PUBLICITY STUNT. Unfortunately its negative publicity. You do not seem to have good advisers cause if you did, you would not offer something which is sooooo out of topic. If you need inspiration for a new song please take a retreat to ur village and reflect rather than wish bad for urself.

18. whocares

July 2, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Did I hear someone say she is courageous and brave? She has trivialised a very important issue and made it sexual..for boko haram to come and take her sexuality. How does that make sense? Please, HOW?!?!! We talk about empowering women, and improving their lot in the society. If African laws prevented child brides, and slavery and a host of other injustices to women, it would make it difficult for those men to do whatever they were doing to those poor girls.. yet, this lady (and I use that term loosely) comes forward and makes an asinine offer. I am so upset.

Is this the calibre of women we are raising in Nigeria today? She said it the first time, we ignored her, and she thinks it is alright to say it again? They should take her virginity, have sex with her, because its their due, and sex solves all the problems right? I need just two minute with this girl.. The first to slap some sense into her brain, and the next minute to teach her some things she clearly knows nothing about.

BN, dont raise my blood pressure o… btw, I dont know how i feel about this change.. pourquoi BN?

19. Obalende

July 2, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Tony and who cares or abi na whore. I think what she did is re raised the dead topic which you people obviously forgot. If you joined atleast, there will be more hands. Perhaps some will go to chibok and some will do the rest. Una own for nigeria na to run mouth like say anything dey the head meanwhile nothing. This one wen her name na who cares. Your Calibar of woman no go school well. Common sense did not allow you see that Adokiye is clearly trying to set some flame so the dead topic can rise up again how did u pass waec? I see why a lot of people fail Jamb on the regular. It’s called quantitative reasoning. Where is your Govt? Your president dey his parlor dey watch football match, you dey busy dey do runs and now you want to act like you care about the kids. If you get pikin I am sure you for no talk like rat wen enter inside kerosine wen dey beg for help. Educated illiterate. What do you even know about women empowerment? So you think she is so loose to call for sex from Boko haram? Osho woman runs empowerment.
    Well, it’s none of my business though. I will sip my tea.

• Tony

July 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Obalende please sip or drink ur tea. You can tell urself whatever makes you sleep at night. Smart women raise the dust with caution. For someone who claims to value virginity that much, offering it to terrorists makes that value worthless. I would never applaud stupidity which has been tinted with the name of making an effort or (bringbackourgirls). As mentioned by Ms Socially Awkward.. one can not bring reason into such trivialised topics.

• sambisa must kpai

July 4, 2014 at 8:56 am

D tunda dt wl faya yu is nt evn created yet. Hv yu seen her pix? Its lik maheeda sayin nakk me in exchange for d girls.ma guy,ds z nt being noble

20. Ivie

July 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm

See see see. Abeg see who is talking about Woman Empowerment. You ain’t got shit on you aunty. If you did your voice for cross border like Adokiye own. All you women know is beef, fight, abuse and curse and you talk about women empowerment? Please leave her and let her worry all you child killers on nigeria. This is her own way of making people see the need to make the call again. It’s her own way of #BringBackOurVoice. Where is your own? What have you contributed to call?

21. Ivie

July 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Don’t even go there before I will open a hole in your heart so that your blood can pump out indeed. Mweeeessshhh nonsense. E dey pain you say you no be virgin!

• Tony

July 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Wow!!! Ivie do you have a personal beef with the other reader or its just ur passion for the supposed bravery of this Lun?

22. NFS

July 3, 2014 at 9:33 am

Here we go again witb more people criticizing something that dey feel is impossible…. if u feel she is pulling a stunt allow her na,,, some are already crying sef i dont just understand Nigerians n dere drama… ur nt happy she is always on d news dat makes u a bad belle. Pls get off d BOSS LADY’S BCK ASAP

23. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

@whocares, I think Obalende and Ivie just answered your question about the depth of actual intellect which many Nigerians (female and male) have. It’s very pointless trying to bring reason into discussions like this so I urge you to down your pen and just sit back with the rest of us to enjoy the satire as it unfolds…

24. ScarletXianne

July 3, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I just don’t get it.
    Okay, supposing she is serious about this her proposal and she does not care for her life , does she not care for her family? What they would go through if the bokos take her up on her offer? It’s not like they even care about her virginity, I’m sure.

25. visitor!

July 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I guess she’s trying to be a NOBLE PEACE PRICE RECEPIENT, but she is going about it the wrong way….QUESTION TO YOU NIGERIANS why is it that the distribution of wealth in your country is far from being equal, only the fortunate eat,afford tertairy education etc etc…BH is an extremist perhaps there’s more to this kidnapping…but I and many others around the world don’t condone it. as for adoke who ever she is THINK, BE SENSITIVE,DON’T TRY TO BE HEROIC….this issue is more heavy than the nuclear shenanigan

26. Eb

July 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

@ Obalende, u must be very corrupt to talk to a woman like this! U are insulting a woman who expresses herself with better English than u. U can’t even make full sentences without adding pidgin to it!
    Quantitative reasoning ke? Where is d soundness in ur communication? When all u are doing is rain out abuses in a bid to express urself? And u think dt som1 dt says she’s a virgin should offer herself as a sex slave, and dress half-nude in public eye? That’s ur sound reasoning for how to #bringbackourgirls? Do u think Shekau will accept dis offer from her? So u mean its so hard for u to see that she’s trying to gain popularity, or she’s just possessed wt something evil! Where are her parents? And one question for you: if she is ur daughter will u allow her to put up these kind of pics on d internet and allow her to offer herself to Boko haram? Will u allow her to offer her virginity to d man dt will buy her mom a private jet? Be serious o!

27. OG

July 4, 2014 at 6:32 pm

EB the time you use in wasting to comment here, you should use it to join her and fight for the freedom. Let her use what she has. And you that can speak good English, I have not seen any of that.
    The only thing I see is the foolishness of saying someone is insulting someone and you also doing the same. For the fact that she has been on this issue for weeks and had made international members including to reveal those kids are still not back till now is a plus for me, I don’t care about your view and she can get popular with it for all I care.
    The question again is,
    What have you yourself done to #BringBackOurGirls? If nothing, then move on cos you got nothing to say hommie abi chic.

28. Faith

July 5, 2014 at 10:52 am

The question now is Why are Nigerians bothered about Adokiye offering her virginity to Boko Haram, why are we insulting her?
    Why are we not bothered about the little girls in their custody getting raped and dying slowly?
    Which is more traumatizing?
    Such an irony of Life.
    Adokiye is somewhat making sense! It is making me see how stupid we are in this country.
    Who cares?

29. Chidozie

July 7, 2014 at 7:39 am

You are insulting someone that cries whole heartedly for freedom?
    Whatever she uses in the process does it matter?
    Now the girls are getting home one by one.
    Adokiye God bless you nne

30. TANTRA

July 10, 2014 at 10:13 am

Adokiye, those are not the breasts of a virgin. But Shekau wont come to meet you in Lagos. Heed thee down to Maiduguri and turn left to Sambisa forest.