Scoop

Omoni Oboli isn’t Done Talking About that Famous Blue Dress – Here’s What She’s Saying Now

Omoni Oboli at Presidential Villa - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01 (1)
It is safe to say Omoni Oboli was a viral sensation this week.

Ever since photos from the private screening of her movie “Being Mrs Elliot” at the Presidential Banquet Hall – with President Goodluck Jonathan and VP Namadi Sambo present – surfaced online, she has been a hot topic.

The last time a blue dress sparked so much national debate was between a former American President and a lady who worked with him.

In an interview with the Nigerian Tribune, she speaks more about the frock with an embellished neckline that showed off her decolletage.

And although the answers seem similar with her previous interview, she shares more.
On if she feels the dress was appropriate: “Yes, I felt so. Because there was really no vital part showing if you saw the pictures online. And another thing is that the angles that a picture was taken can portray certain things that was not there.”

On why there is so much criticism: “Actually, you should know that a lot of people are bitter. When people are bitter they try to look for negative things in every positive thing. It is unfortunate that we are in the limelight, because if someone else wore that dressing no one would say a word. It comes with the good and the bad sides. You cannot take the good and leave the bad side. A lot of people are bitter. Some people are thinking why her. Some people have been doing movies for twenty years: why her?

On “why her?”: “It is God’s favour. That is it. It can’t be something else. I shook the president on that day and that was the second time ever that will be shaking him. First was at the burial of his brother that all of us went for, so we had the opportunity to shake him. This was the second opportunity to shake the president. I do not know him personally at all. So, it is just God’s favour. The truth is that favour is not fair. God decided to smile on me. Have I had my bad times? Of course. Last year, there was a time I was crying every day for months. Did anybody hear about it? So, these things happen, it is just God’s favour. And I am not going to let anything pull me down. First of all, I do not read blogs. I do get to see the negative comments. It doesn’t matter to me. My true fans know who I am. And these are the people who matter to me, not the people who see the negative things.”

On her scandal free plate: “Really? I said to someone the other day: I am who I am. I am not trying to stay-scandal free. I am just who I am. No one is perfect. And it will be unfair to portray a clean image to say that I am perfect. I am just like the regular person out there. I have my good sides and the bad sides. I am not trying to stay scandal free, I am who I am.”

On GEJ’s comments about the movie: “The president said Nollywood has put Nigeria on the map. It has helped the economy of the nation in so many ways. He goes to so many countries and people are saying, “Igwe! Igwe!” For him that means that this industry is huge and cannot be ignored, which is why he is doing everything within his power to promote the industry. And on our parts, looking at the concerted efforts of Mr.  President, we need to buckle up. We can only get better. We can only get higher.

On what she had to do get GEJ’s approval for the screening: “Why are they saying that? If it was a guy that did it I know no one would be saying that. That is the problem. It could have been a guy’s movie. Would they say he had an affair with the president? When it is a woman’s case things must take a different dimension. This is wrong. Women cannot always be relegated to symbols of sexual pleasure. I did not have any affair with anybody. It was God’s favour that the presidency was willing to see my movie. That is about it.”

To read the full interview, click here

1. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

August 23, 2014 at 1:29 am

Enough already!

2. Mary

August 23, 2014 at 1:29 am

why are we still overflogging this issue of her blue dress. thought it has been over taken by other important events. abeg allow us to hear word, she has recieved enough criticism, all these are just damage control to save her face, we haff heard biko

• Thinkabourit

August 23, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Because she wants you to continue to talk about it. That is the point. She has a movie to sell Mary

3. @edDREAMZ

August 23, 2014 at 1:36 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Some people are thinking why her. Some people have been doing movies for twenty years: why her? Thats her justification….. Oky but still congrat though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Honeymix

August 23, 2014 at 2:02 am

Yawn

5. ao

August 23, 2014 at 2:22 am

Carry on Omoni! I have interacted with you and can testify that you are a good person and a dress cannot change that.

• moi

August 24, 2014 at 6:20 pm

we should learn to take criticism smartly. madam interactor tell her we admire her a lot as a good person that was why the criticism came. the dress was simply inappropriate she should acknowledge it as her own bad wardrobe day, but to keep defending that………… no way

6. Pinkfunky

August 23, 2014 at 2:51 am

People can say all they want about your looks and what not, but your dressing is not appropriate in anyway to see the president, put it away love,

• slice

August 23, 2014 at 1:47 pm

But I read on another blog that this lady has sd maybe the dress wasn’t the best choice. She has sd when she looked at herself in the mirror it was good but in certain angles, it didn’t look right. This is a mistake anyone can make. Can we just let her be. BN it is not fair reporting to show the pics were all this is showing withot showing easily available pics that show the dress actually didn’t expose her all the time. IMve seen them elsewhere

• Dunni O

August 23, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Hello @slice you wrote a comment about a cooking component on one of my BN cuisine posts. I would like to please follow up on it. Could you please send me an email. [email protected]. This is not a Yahoo email account so rest assured it is me. Thank you

• slice

August 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm

my dear Dooney, please help me narrow it down. i don’t remember what i was talking about 🙂 perhaps paste the link and i’ll remember. i’ll check back

• slice

August 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

or may i’ll just send you an e-mail and we can take it from there.

7. What is this one saying?

8. benny

August 23, 2014 at 3:17 am

I am actually VERY bitter; very bitter cos of the time wasted reading what this thing uttered from it’s mouth. Never again.

9. abuja retired slut

August 23, 2014 at 3:43 am

so many stories on “things” dt happened nite i hop non of una touch or eye my Adamu Muazu Mr. PDP all of una eyes dey red DT note Lepasious Bose included

Omoni u are not even being remorseful sef even ur DT bestowed “scandal free” to were d 1st 2start d shots so plssssssssssss but 1st accept dat ur famous “blue dress” is so wrong 4dt particular gathering.

Because fact remains u are not meeting ur fellow entertainers in EKO hotel but a conservative to a fault President of Nigeria in Aso Rock.
    Or are as God is smiling at u are now above critisims????

10. Carliforniabawlar

August 23, 2014 at 6:06 am

Oh Lawdy Lawd!! This issue is over-flogged! I mean…the two good things to come out of this is that 1. Know we know you’re just one the good’ol Nollywood shallowminded everybody is hating me ’cause I’m so awesome actresses and most importantly 2. you were able to make MZ SA take time off from her important legal something something job to write an entire article!! An awesome article if i may say… 😀
    I never respect celebrities, cause you never know who they really are behind the lights (she just justified my indifference) but I had some level of ermmm, lets call it regard for this woman. In fact I always tease my married sister who keeps saying she wants to be an actress to ‘use Omoni as role model na’ . But these her answers?? Zero!! People are telling your dress is rubbish ’cause they are hating on God’s grace?? that’s bottom rung Naija mentality right there…I can’t even call it typical!
    I think the problem is she doesn’t understand the level of ‘love and respect’ folks had for her before this miss and her reaction has even made the whole saga worse. Anyways…it’s her own wahala! But I sha don’t know how she’s going to get her haters to go watch the movie at the cinemas though! Irokotv is her ultimate destination.
    Meanawhyla…BN people, make una welldone o!! “….the frock with an embellished neckline that showed off her decolletage…..”
    All these grammar to describe the ” open-chest dress that showed her (apparently non-existent) breast” ?? 8) lmao….God dey for the everyday man!

• Dunni O

August 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I always enjoy reading from Ms SA. Which article was that o, let me go search for it or you could please email it to me in case I forget to come back to check this post. Busy Saturday. Email: [email protected]. Thanks a lot

11. Idomagirl

August 23, 2014 at 6:10 am

This is so true.

“On what she had to do get GEJ’s approval for the screening: “Why are they saying that? If it was a guy that did it I know no one would be saying that. That is the problem. It could have been a guy’s movie. Would they say he had an affair with the president? When it is a woman’s case things must take a different dimension. This is wrong. Women cannot always be relegated to symbols of sexual pleasure.”

12. Shao

August 23, 2014 at 6:41 am

Moni Lewinski !!!!! Omoni Lewinski lol lol

• Lady Mo!

August 23, 2014 at 2:18 pm

It’s all abt the ‘moni’ (money) baby! it’s all in d name.

13. pat

August 23, 2014 at 7:02 am

I wonder y she shld wear dis type of dress to such an occasion and stil claim right.. Pls burry ur head in shame. Dat dress is a BIG NO for such occasion

14. Queen

August 23, 2014 at 7:11 am

Oh please. Enough about this dress already. Desperate damage control measures

15. bruno

August 23, 2014 at 7:17 am

Pls we are not bitter, we are calling a spade a spade .She should start producing this blue in dress in bulk and start selling them. She should call it “omoni blue dress”

16. Resoundingslap

August 23, 2014 at 8:15 am

Omoni indeed has a viral mouth, a viral blue dress and viral *fangs*

17. chai

August 23, 2014 at 8:19 am

Tiwa got so much flack for wanted, She was pained but let it go and focused on her successes. This madam done talk tire. Fb, Instagram, granting interviews right and left I give up. Omoni it is a new day God loves you!

18. cryingneversolvedanything

August 23, 2014 at 8:41 am

Hmm. No vital part eh?
    Ok oh.

19. you know

August 23, 2014 at 8:43 am

we hear you o! enough already

20. blalababla

August 23, 2014 at 8:54 am

God’s favour my ass.. What was the selection criteria? We like to cover a multitude of sins under ‘Favour’. You steal from the government, it’s God’s favour. You’re a peper seller and your brother becomes the governor and he gives you road construction contracts, oil blocks as a birthday gift and it’s God’s favour. Abegi! We are sending the wrong message to a generation that is watching us and we are creating a terrible value system that says, f**k hard work, f**k talent, f**k tenacity. All you need is this ever illusive God’s Favour. Great and internationally recognised filmmakers like Tunde Kilani, Kunle Afolayan and even Jetta Amata sef and lets not even mention half of the yellow sun that was created from a book that a Nigerian author that has made our country proud all over the world. But somehow it’s a half baked, terribly written and directed romantic drama by a first time director that gets the presidents attention. Abeg, sell this BS to your family and friends but don’t call us all fools.

• Mena Peters

August 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Who are you bro? How can I give you a e-hug. Naija is so messed up right now that I pity the future generation. Everything is God’s favour, even when the favour was gotten by dubious means. Many are unwillining to work hard or use their brains for new innovations but expect manna from heaven . I just tire.

• nene

August 23, 2014 at 10:22 pm

gbam. God’s favour ko, that’s what nigerians use to cover lies.

21. blah blah

August 23, 2014 at 8:57 am

You shook the president as in you held his shoulders and moved him back and forth. Or you shook his hand? Two different things Omoni. Stop talking about your dress already! We have forgotten about it.

22. Babylicious

August 23, 2014 at 9:20 am

Why does she av2explain n explain n defend herself over n over n over again? Babes learn not2pay so much attention to negative pple jare! Abi guilty conscience dey catch u? …

23. Uyai

August 23, 2014 at 9:26 am

True Talk. Thumbs up girl. . haters will always talk rubbish

24. Aggie

August 23, 2014 at 9:30 am

Enough already!

25. Hafsat

August 23, 2014 at 10:13 am

The dress was inappropriate for the screening. If it was an industry night gig, it would have being perfecto! If others were in cocktail suit and all, then no problem. That’s why invites should stet the dress code. A prime example of what not to wear.

26. Elle

August 23, 2014 at 10:24 am

” Women cannot always be relegated to symbols of sexual pleasure.” her very own words yet she did the exact thing to herself.

sorry omoni, i thought u had more sense than this. now i know better. what u wore was totally inappropriate and too risque for that event. tell me u didnt feel naked n exposed there n i’ll call u a liar. Just face facts and stop trying to justify ur dress.

Next time just say no comments on the dress if u cant work up something better to say.

27. Africhic

August 23, 2014 at 10:53 am

Can we end this matter already? Hope she has learnt her lesson. Get a stylist.

28. Adrianne

August 23, 2014 at 11:27 am

You still dey talk? Keep quiet my dear. E don do o…

29. bruno

August 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

GEJ should set up a committee to look into this dress.

• i no send

August 23, 2014 at 3:04 pm

very funny bruno…..but really that dress was inappropriate cos i do remember how beyonce dressed to meet the obamas she def toned it down to show respect but really i had forgotten about this incident so lets move on .

30. kwj

August 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I don’t think she has learnt her lesson,no one is hating on u omoni or jealous of ur achievement..ur choice of dress was so wrong for such occasion.ure not d first or 2nd actress dat wil go and visit d president so dnt talk 2much.its a beautiful dress but d wrongest 4 dis particular occasion.

31. Plush

August 23, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Btw, where is Mr. Oboli in all this brouhaha?

• slice

August 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

hopefully somewhere enjoying the “vital parts” you all didn’t get to see 🙂
      seriously tho i bet she’d rather keep her family out of this mess

• Thinkabourit

August 23, 2014 at 5:51 pm

They have to pay school fees madam

32. Esther

August 23, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Omoni ! Wisdom is principal ! You are bigger than this.

33. nicky

August 24, 2014 at 7:47 am

Seee how presido is laughing in sheer delight…..hahaha mbok , u people should allow this girl tantalize me with her breasticess…do u know when last i saw this kind???

34. Lorna

August 25, 2014 at 1:05 pm

lol, you guys should free her o! she probably wasn’t sure if this is her one and only chance to make a professional and OTHERWISE impact. She had to cast all her dice(s) to win.
    Desperate measures. 🙂

35. oladyyyy

August 28, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Omoni, just shut up and accept corrections. No body is bitter about ur success, infact Nigerians are happy for u. But the dress was wrong, and there are no two words abut it…. u’re meeting your Country’s President for Pete’s sake. As to the fact that people are asking her what she did to get the presidency to view her movie, I’m not surprised cos her dress can give people ideas. she should not turn it into a sexist ish just to get sympathy for the female folks. we have a lot of women in power like Okonjo-Iweala and Late Dora who rose to the top without anyone asking what they did to get there, simply because we all see their brains, not their cleavages.. there are lots of evening dresses that would have been appropriate, and more classy… Omoni, YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER!!!

36. Cannurse

August 28, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Omoni, you are getting it all wrong. If so many people are complaining about you dress, it means something was really wrong with the dress. Pease reflect on the incidence and make changes. We all make mistakes, no one is perfect. You are a public figure, you should learn how to deal with criticism positively. The dress was simply inappropriate, it has nothing to do with hate or jealousy. You are a beautiful woman. Next time when dressing up, seek other pple’s opinion if you are not sure of what to wear. You made a mistake, accept responsibility for your mistakes and stop the blame game.