News

“This is Our Life” – NFL Star Ray Rice’s wife Janay defends husband who knocked her out

BellaNaija.com

Ray Rice Wedding
With the torrent of backlash and sanctions against her husband Ray Rice for knocking her unconscious in an elevator domestic violence incident, Janay Palmer Rice has come out to defend her husband.

The wife of the NFL player took to instagram to share these thoughts.

Here is what she had to say. In summary, Janay seems to be standing by her man. The elevator incident happened in February 2014 and their wedding took place in March. According to reports, Janay and Ray’s wedding was originally planned to take place during the summer, however, “it was allegedly rushed to help their legal case relating to the assault”.
Janay Rice Response

Video of the Incident

Photo Credit: Pinterest

1. Lord Save Nigeria

September 10, 2014 at 5:26 am

Its like Nelly said, “Must be the moneyyyyyyy”
    But that video tho… that guy knocked her OUT!

• Fashionista

September 10, 2014 at 10:37 am

Truth is she might even love the man oh, but how do you get past that? Like you said, he proper knocked her the f**k out! As in, she was lifeless for a good minute or two. Anyway I’m not surprised by her statement!

2. vikky

September 10, 2014 at 5:26 am

why am i not surprised……smh, moving along

3. Author Unknown

September 10, 2014 at 5:41 am

Yes Janay. You sure are mourning the death of your closest friend – $$$

4. benny

September 10, 2014 at 5:49 am

This sh*t right here…. I just can’t and I can’t even blame her for my inability to can’t.
    I believe they are both abusive people. She is getting the worst end of it and she is living in denial. her mind is on the money and if they have kids; on their welfare and that has just been ruined for them. truth is the media really doesn’t care what happens to her; they want traffic that’s all..
    these two need help. Cos the way their minds are set up…

5. bruno

September 10, 2014 at 6:24 am

Biko VH1 give this woman a reality show. Some women never learn.

6. Michael

September 10, 2014 at 6:39 am

Sometimes women do but that does not mean we should support or encourage domestic violence. D best thing to do as a man is to walk away, although it is not easy

7. Feirooz

September 10, 2014 at 6:55 am

What’s with all these elevator fights?

• humm

September 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

I was thinking the same . I guess elevator fight is the new red carpet!!

8. MissBonnie

September 10, 2014 at 6:59 am

I don’t even know what to say .. You marry a man that hits you . SMH ! When will we learn ( Men & Women). I’ve heard some women slap their men too. lol .. Its not by force o , just stay happy and I know you can die anytime but don’t be in a hurry to die so young. All it can take is one slap and you hit your head against the wall or a sharp edge.

Ladies / Guys.. if you are going through this please RUN !!! before you get married to an animal. Don’t care about what the society will say. They will always talk. Have a great day :*

9. Fabulicious

September 10, 2014 at 7:18 am

Dear Janay, This is why domestic violence and the likes will be here for a really long time.Even as a married woman with kids, I still don’t know what draws people in abusive relationships together.

10. Koenigin

September 10, 2014 at 8:00 am

This couple is a tragedy waiting to happen. She’s bound to get herself killed by this man soon because the violent and self-absorbed person that he is, sure is going to blame her for “ruining” his career, financial security and reputation.He now have all the time in the world to beat her blue and I feel sorry for their kids. Actor Michael Jace shot his wife dead in front of their children this year after over 15 years of uninterrupted domestic violence. This woman is going to learn. Ratchet bird

11. Jennifer

September 10, 2014 at 8:16 am

I’m not sure that its all about the money. Rihanna is a multi-millionaire and cried on international TV professing love for a man who beat her, bit her then left her on the street and drove off. She then held hands with him in support to court dates for what he did to her. With these women, the public and the government go hard against their attackers but they just can’t see it. Janay needs to watch that video and see how there was no remorse even when she was out cold. He dragged and dropped her like garbage. If she can still be a wife to such a man, that’s her business but she has to understand why most of us are disgusted.

• Evensef

September 10, 2014 at 10:01 am

even if she watch the video for a whole day, she will not see anything! they are both hell bound.

• Dee

September 10, 2014 at 10:33 am

Exactly there was no remorse or even suprise at knocking her out on his part, he acted like and expert in dragging her out

• Truth

September 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

Guys…go read up on stockholm syndrome and battered person syndrome. Wikipedia has geat articles on it. It will help you to understand the psychology behind abuse and why very often the abusee stays in the relationship. It is not about the money and disgust is not the appropriate emotion to feel for this woman. This woman is a victim in the true sense of the word.
      Lets not forget that abuse doesnt usually start with the physical. It usually follows a well known cycle starting with tension building and belittling of the partner in question. A lot of the time, the victim is also isolated from family and friends who would normally be her support system. It is usually after the abuser has ensured some form of codependancy, that he begins the physical abuse knowing that the likelihood of the victim leaving is very uch reduced. It is a complicated cycle which is not that easy to break free from.

Please, before we all throw stones at her. Let us try harder to understand the psychology of abuse.

• Truth

September 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

very much reduced*

12. akinwumi bamidele

September 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

My take on this is -let us leave them alone. It seem human now forget the meaning of marriage, that whenever a little misunderstanding occur the next thing on our mind is divorce!! And you all come here claiming christian and religious bigot is this what your bible teaches? Why can’t you stand by the oath for better for worse? Why are we losing our mind we this so call modern generation. Let us improve our understanding on human behavior so that we can be able to tolerate each other flaws. Don’t get me wrong I hate domestic violence with all my heart but it shouldn’t be the bases for divorce #my opinion#

• Dee

September 10, 2014 at 10:40 am

It’s obvious you’re also an abuser, small disagreement abi! Did you see that the woman passed out and he dragged her like a sack of rice with no remorse. I’m a Christian and I’ll always advice women to leave such men. Is it until he kills her that you’ll be happy that she didn’t divorce? This was the kind of bad advice that the female banker received till her husband butchered her. Now the man has been sentenced to death and the child will be left an orphan. Is that the type of legacy one should leave their child in the name of marriage! Now that’s she died as MRS I guess ppl like you prefer that.

• Dee

September 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

She’s dead

• Truth

September 10, 2014 at 10:50 am

Are you kiddding? Really, you did not just say that on BN! I have no words!

• lala

September 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

She meant the way her life is going with this douchebag of a husband will get her killed. Another OJ simpson case in the making.

• Truth

September 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

My comment was meant for akinwunmi whatever not Dee.

• benny

September 10, 2014 at 11:21 am

ARE YOU FRIGGING OUT OF YOUR MINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?????????

• nnenna

September 10, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hello, wake up o. God help those who helps themselves. Redirect your mind. Like someone earlier said, it may only take a slap or a kick, that may kill or maim. If you do not want to end up dead or disfigured and your “loved one” in jail or on death row, the best action is to say a strong, emphatic “no” to abuse. Run while you still can. Remain blessed as you read your Bible and put the Words to good use.

• lol

September 10, 2014 at 5:59 pm

So I really want to understand what you mean by the “human behaviour” really curious. What is human about knocking some one out cold and dragging them about like a sack of rice? like many on here I sure do not understand what you mean when you say “understanding human behaviour and accepting flaws”. Behaviours/flaws that will leave you six feet under. What am I to understand or accept when I am dead? just curious? So I will give you the benefit of doubt and hopefully you respond and explain

• p

September 10, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I actually CANT with this small minded bullcrap! God didn’t give life for you to knowingly give it to an abusive person all because of marriage!!! LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN that! sheeeeet!!!

• LILO

September 11, 2014 at 6:05 am

Any way we can identify these crazy men so we can at list boycott them? I already quiver for the women who will marry this buffoon and the idiot below talking about emotional pain. These are strange times for real

13. mulikat

September 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

she know what she is after,Money and Name,so when they divorce each other she take half of is money,houses and name,which will open another big door for her,i dont sorry for her,she is Gold digger.If not why still in love with a man that knock u down, is like david and goliat.

14. Grown Woman

September 10, 2014 at 9:21 am

See what money does to some people, they would rather cry in a range rover than on a bicycle chei God please help all these women/men in DV because they always tend to have a deaf year no matter what.I know you should never judge a situation you are not involved with, but clearly we women sometimes like to be treated like anyhow.

15. Ivy

September 10, 2014 at 9:26 am

BN please stop keeping up with these people o!!!!!! I haff tire biko. If there is no news i suggest you create a forum for all commentators (hope that’s correct?) to meet.

16. beautifulonyinye

September 10, 2014 at 9:42 am

Wow!She must be really messed up inside.My take is that,it’s either she has a really low self esteem and thinks she deserves such treatment or she’s too greedy to walk away from the money.To even think that the incident happened in February and she went ahead to marry him in March beats me.Doesn’t she have friends and family to talk sense into her head or drag her away?I know mine would do that for me if I ever wound up in such mess that’s if I’m to blind to see it myself.Enough said.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

I’m inclined to agree that it may be low self-esteem. Maybe she grew up seeing her mother or sister or grandmum or another female relative or a friend getting beat up. Maybe she’s accepted this treatment from the other men she’s been with and now the plus side of living in luxury with the current man makes the justification for abuse even stronger in her mind. This is 2014 and women still think like this in many countries of the world.

Very sobering thought.

17. Nneky

September 10, 2014 at 9:45 am

Domestic Violence!!!! Domestic Violence!!!!! Domestic Violence!!!!!!! nawa oooh

18. Latifa

September 10, 2014 at 9:46 am

Why am I not surprise…..women like her would prefer been beaten to death before they realize themselves. She will only speak up if they divorce and he lives her with nothing, then she will suddenly realize she is a victim of domestic violence. But it ain’t none of my business *sipshottea*

19. Beeeee

September 10, 2014 at 10:00 am

As painful as it is for me to admit, she is right, it is THEIR life and not anyone else’s. No one can force this woman to leave her abusive relationship. Even if she is forced to move out physically, she will always find her way back. A lot of people don’t realize that abuse can turn into a psychological thing. I was in an abusive relationship and until an abuse victim can see the abuse clearly for himself or herself, they cannot leave. No matter what anyone says, no matter how many videos they watch they cannot leave until they are ready to. I was fortunate enough to realize I was in a dangerous situation on time. Unfortunately, many women don’t make it out. I am not here to judge and I understand where she’s coming from. I pray that she makes it out before its too late.

20. heeba

September 10, 2014 at 10:41 am

mshewww ’till death do her part’

21. sum1special

September 10, 2014 at 10:47 am

Foolish woman..he will kill you dont worry.

22. Fountain of Paper

September 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

Let us take this moment to remember her fore-runner in Nigeria… Olori K-Solo

We dey here dey look movie wey dem dey act.

23. Kenny

September 10, 2014 at 11:14 am

A man should put his hands on a woman, totally unacceptable. Everyman have a choice, if you cannot stand a woman you are in relationship with, there’s a choice here (DIVORCE). There are ways to treat a woman who don’t listen, instead of hitting her, put her through emotional pain, its worse than death i do it all the time and the women don’t recover from it.

• Truth

September 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Eerm Kenny, if no one told you before, let me clear it up for you, you are an abuser!!!! Emotional abuse is equivalent to physical abuse. Please get help asap! What the frigging heck???? The things I read on this site! God help me!

• Trina

September 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Awwww Kenny…Poor poor Kenny that doesn’t realise he’s a psycho serial abuser. GET HELP!

• Orekelewa

September 10, 2014 at 3:44 pm

You need help! As in serious help. To think you are proud to come here and boast that the women never recover from it beats me. What kind of men are in the world now? Abuse is abuse, whether physical or emotional.

• LILO

September 11, 2014 at 6:00 am

Omo ale…ma worry, she I you will have daughters some day.

24. Nana Mai kudi

September 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm

the things that happen in the elevator these days eh! i need to use the stairs more often walahi.

• Fabulicious

September 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Hahahahahaha,Nana I swear,I am climbing stairs with you jare.

25. jhennique

September 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Lol. didnt i tell you people to mind your business. Next!

26. tunmi

September 10, 2014 at 12:56 pm

She is a victim. The money here does not matter. She is a victim.

Sadly enough, only one or two comments here have addressed the man. He needs jail time, counseling and therapy. This is his fiancee and he hit her (remorse or no remorse). Domestic violence and other forms of abuse is about control and I fear for this woman and her daughter.

27. j4judith

September 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Anything u accept,u get. Any woman who thinks its ok for a man to hit her will get hit. Its their life. I just feel sorry for her

28. Wale

September 10, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Please don’t let us over analyse it- one word – MONEY! Now that he has become a liability, I hope she can divorce him now and take her share of the $25M. This is the only good money he will probably own in his life. Take it and run girrrrl!!!

29. Onye

September 10, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Love does not hurt like that, my dear.

30. papermoon

September 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm

speechless….

31. oona

September 10, 2014 at 10:11 pm

it’s sad how when the “Jay z solang” video came out it was less of “domestic abuse” and more “what did Jay z do to beyonce?????” don’t stand for domestic abuse regardless of the sex of the abuser.

32. LILO

September 11, 2014 at 5:58 am

See why it’s not good to see wedding fotos and be ‘tapping into their blessing” anyhow? Continue tapping into panel beating o. Lmao,,.Janay does sound like a battered woman though.

33. Ade

September 12, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Lol @ Tapping into the blessing.