News

Janay Rice reveals She Doesn’t Feel Like a Victim, It Was the 1st & Only Time Ray Ever Hit Her & More in ESPN Interview

Ray Rice Press Conference

Janay Rice is finally speaking out.

Janay, 26, came into the limelight after leaked footage of her now husband, Ray Rice, then a Baltimore Ravens American football player, knocked her out with a punch which left her unconscious, lying on the floor of the elevator where the incident took place.

The pair, who have a young daughter, got married a month later.

After the footage was leaked, the football star was banned from the NFL, but he has now been reinstated and can sign with a new team.

In a series of interviews with different news outlets, Janay revealed that was the first time he ever hit her, she doesn’t feel like a victim and that she hasn’t watched the complete footage of the incident.

Here are some excerpts from the ESPN Interview.

Ray Rice Press Conference

Why She Apologized & Supported Ray After The Incident

Looking out over the media, I became angry, seeing all the people who had been covering this and adding to the story. I wanted to tell everyone what was really on my mind. When it was my turn to speak, I said I regretted my role in the incident. I know some people disagreed with me publicly apologizing. I’m not saying that what Ray did wasn’t wrong. He and I both know it was wrong. It’s been made clear to him that it was wrong. But at the same time, who am I to put my hands on somebody? I had already apologized to Ray, and I felt that I should take responsibility for what I did. Even though this followed the Ravens’ suggested script, I owned my words.

I also wanted to show people that I was supportive of Ray just like I’d always been … If anyone knows me they know, I never have and never will be with Ray because of what he can do for me. I stuck with Ray because I truly love him.

Why They Got Married a Month After The Incident

We were married March 28, the day after he was indicted for aggravated assault. We didn’t choose that day because of the indictment. It just happened to be a Friday and a time when our families could attend our wedding without having to interrupt their work schedules. I didn’t understand why that was suspicious to some people. We’d been together seven years and had been engaged for two [Editor’s Note: Janay got pregnant after they were engaged]. What happened that night wasn’t going to change the fact that we were going to get married.

Why She Didn’t Watch The Full Footage – She Says she was already ‘Over’ the Incident

It was six o’clock in the morning on September 8, nearly seven months after the incident… When he got off the phone, he told me the whole video had been released. I just went into a shell. I started crying. We knew it was going to be another media storm. We didn’t know what to do.

I sent out a text to everybody close to me: “The video’s out. I would ask you not to watch it.” I know some of them probably did. But I refused to.

I was over this, and I didn’t need the visual. How was seeing it going to help me? I knew that would only bring me back there. After Ray watched it, I asked him not to look at it again, because I knew it was only the devil trying to come in and ruin how far we’ve come. I refused to go backwards.

How She Felt When Ray was Fired from His Team

I was extremely surprised and angry that the Ravens released him, because they know him. They were our family, but I felt like the Ravens completely disregarded the past six years with him. Anytime the Ravens needed someone for a community event, Ray was their man. It seemed like a knee-jerk reaction for publicity reasons.

On Being Called a Victim

I still find it hard to accept being called a “victim.” I know there are so many different opinions out there about me — that I’m weak, that I’m making excuses and covering up abuse — and that some people question my motives for staying with Ray.

However, I’m a strong woman and I come from a strong family. Never in my life have I seen abuse, nor have I seen any woman in my family physically abused. I have always been taught to respect myself and to never allow myself to be disrespected, especially by a man. Growing up, my father used to always tell my sister and I, “We don’t need a man to make us, if anything it’s the man who needs us.”

I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’ve realized how strong I am. People ask me how I’ve gotten through this and I honestly cannot put it into words. I have grown closer to God. My faith has gotten me through each day. It’s been hard accepting the fact that God chose us for this, but at the same time it’s put us in the position to help others. We know our incident led to very important discussions to hashtags of “why I stayed” and “why I left.” If it took our situation becoming headline news to show domestic violence is happening in this country, that’s a positive.

Interview Source: ESPN

Photo Credit: Rob Carr/Getty Images Entertainment

1. le coco

December 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm

you dont dfeel like a victim koh. spoken lyk a true abuse victim.. stop making excuses.. run for ur life.. i havhe never seen sm1 hit another human being lyk that…

2. bruno

December 1, 2014 at 4:37 pm

some women never learn. a man beat heaven and hell and purgatory out of u and your still standing by his side. ray rice keep on beating her after she fell unconscious and dragged her like a bag dirt.

this woman married his for his money. now they have sacked ray rice she is upset, she is saying everything possible so ray rice can get his job back and she can continue enjoying money.

who wants to bet another team will hired ray rice,

• bruno

December 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm

‘kept’ autocorrect

• Nadz

December 1, 2014 at 7:00 pm

OMGGGGGG!!!!!! I thought I came up with that “heaven hell and purgatory” nooo 🙁 that was my phrase lol

3. ReeceBlu

December 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Lies. That face looks like its use to taking punches. Its her life! He spits on you, wipe it off and cook dinner. He knocks you out, get back up and get an ice pack. I cant feel sorry for someone who doesnt feel sorry for themself

4. Taiwo

December 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!! I watched that video and it certainly was not the forst and only time Ray hit her. He was so calm when she passed out, he even kicked her feet out of the way and dragged her on the floor!
    Babe own up or shut up! e don dey happen tey tey! infact , “it have teyted” wey e don dey happen.

5. Thatgidigirl

December 1, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Congratulations on your endorsement, you are the new poster child for doormat.

6. jane

December 1, 2014 at 5:33 pm

That is absolutely ridicilous, I don’t get it when woman stay with abusive men

7. annonymous

December 1, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I smell Lies…Lies and Lies…Lemme go annonymous on ds…I used to be in an abusive rshp jan 2008- Aug 2009…Dude will so beat me and tear my clothes even my pata…embarrass me @ will…one time, d idiot embarrassed me @ shoprite..was so embarrased cos of d no of pipo staring @ us…I still stayed dre like mumu…Reasons;my frnds saw him as an angel…He postrate wth hs head almost hitting d ground to greet my parents..his parents and siblings were so nice…Hs mum would cook for me…ah sweet mother…but he kept panel beating me…I kept it to myself and kept singing hs praise…praying to God for him to change…*ah living in denail* Well to cut d long story short…dude started cheating…Cheating plus panel-beating…Mbanu…I sha took a long walk outta d stupid rshp..fastforward to 2012…got married to an amazing dude… Dear Janay Rice…You deserve better…and to every babe in an abusive rshp…Let him go and Let an amazing man in…May God give us women Wisdom…Plenty Wisdom..Amen

• LotusFlower

December 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm

So you left not because he was beating you but because he was also cheating on you? This is the issue. Women, abuse (mental, physical, emotional) should be enough to make you pack your bags!

• Tosin

December 2, 2014 at 5:25 am

Thanks for sharing your story.
      It seems to me that cheating is about the other person and “panelbeating” involves you and might be more injurious or insulting to you. But from your story, cheating was the really much bigger problem. How come?

Mantra: I did not come to this world to suffer abeg.

8. Bibi

December 1, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I can’t believe this woman. I’m sure the guy has something on her. Na waah ohh… women will never learn.

9. mama Ovie

December 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm

May. God give us wisdom
    To walk away from bad choices when we. Need to
    I hope she won’t be writing a book on how I survived abusive relationship
    Cos I ain’t buying
    Yimu to you

10. hmm

December 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I’m all for equality of the sexes.You hit a man you should be expected to hit back whether man or woman. Since we all love feminism so much. 🙂
    But the way he dragged her out was too sad.

11. Loulou

December 1, 2014 at 10:41 pm

First time you fainted, next time you’ll probably become a vegetable or die!!!!!

12. name

December 1, 2014 at 11:49 pm

“…It’s been hard accepting the fact that God chose us for this…..” God cant chose you or anyone for this. We are where we are as a result of our decisions and choices

13. dimpled freak

December 2, 2014 at 5:07 am

@ hmm do men an women have equal strength???? If a woman slaps a man will he be knocked unconscious???? Can a woman drag an atheletic mans whole body like a rag doll???? Don’t abuse the word equality. Equality means, a man and a woman should get the same respect, same pay, same opportunities and not same beat down cuz they are physically uenequal. Stop giving men the right to abuse woman by saying it’s equality it’s backwards and evil a real man can take a slap And walk away. Is it wrong for a woman to hit a man? Yes will he die??? No!!! Is it wrong for a man to hit a woman??? Can she be knocked on unconscious???? Yes!!!! Can she die???? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Now back to this woman, she’s setting such a bad example for domestic violence, she’s saying it’s ok to stay with a man that hits you, I don’t think this is the first or last time but I wish her luck anyway but I wish that she would at least shut up on the matter and CNN or whoever should stop giving her a platform it’s doing more damage than good.

• Anna

December 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

That should not give women the license to go about hitting men. I do not support men hitting women but if you carry yourself and start fighting a man be prepared for the consequences. Not all men will act like Jay z in such a situation. That being said, the callous way she was dragged out of the elevator was too bad

14. Tosin

December 2, 2014 at 5:22 am

Wow, complex.
    She has a right to bide her time or whatever, try to get some money. But she could get divorced and still get the money.
    But wait she actually passed out? Wow. “Unconscious” it says? Wow. That’s not a first time o. She should at least install a security camera or panic button or something. Unconscious! That’s some violence. Can’t he just be sent off to court or something – why does the law need permission to charge him?

15. beautifulonyinye

December 2, 2014 at 8:40 am

I don’t get this woman oh!maybe when he kills her then that’ll be fine.Can’t her family and friends remove her from that house?I tire.It’s her life finally.

16. amebo

December 2, 2014 at 9:55 am

At least when he kills her, there will be more than enough money for the burial.#justlookingatthebrightside

17. Peggyz Place

December 2, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Victims never feel like victims until they leave the relationship and look back.. That beating wasn’t the first. Abuse tends to start from a slap here and there ,till it escalates to a full beating. Abuse is physiological ,it makes the woman feel like without him she is worthless. God help her.