News

24 Year Old British-Nigerian Woman Dies in Thailand after Botched Buttocks Enhancement Surgery

BellaNaija.com

Joy Williams

Joy Williams

A 24-year-old British-Nigerian woman died in Thailand after a cheap plastic surgery procedure to increase the size of her bottom went horribly wrong.

The woman, Joy Williams, is from Thamesmead London, but was born in Lagos, Nigeria, The Telegraph reports.

According to reports, she traveled to Bangkok earlier this month for the £2,000 buttock augmentation procedure. The operation entails putting silicone implants into the patient’s buttocks.

After the surgery was conducted on October 14th, Williams’ wounds became infected, causing her to be in excruciating pain. She then returned to the hospital to get the implants removed. She died during the operation.

The doctor who performed the surgery, Sompob Sansiri has now been charged with “causing her death by negligence.”

Williams is said to have struggled with self-esteem issues, and had previously had plastic surgery on her nose.

One of her friends told investigators that:

“She was a very bright girl and did well at school. She was a bit shy and quiet and I knew in later years there was something wrong and upsetting her.

“At school she had been bullied over her appearance and she went for surgery on her nose and face. Last time I saw her it was obvious she had had cosmetic surgery. She was fine before, she didn’t need to. She was fine the way she was but she just wasn’t happy. She had no self esteem and I guess she felt she needed to do it. She was just never happy with herself.”

R.I.P

Photo Credit: newsshopper.co.uk

1. madam

October 30, 2014 at 11:04 am

awww

2. Personal Assistant

October 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

So people are still enhancing their buttock surgically? when you can buy ”nyash pad”” with NGN 2k? In fact you go wear the nyash so tay u go tire com throway am. May her soul alongside bum bum RIP. What a waste of soul.

• Prince Jesse

October 30, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Gosh…why nw, just made me lol….R,I.P to miss williams

• Grace

October 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Lmao…..Yansh at 2k and i wan sell my natural one.

• Leah

October 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

LMAO!

3. joy

October 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ADEBOLA

October 30, 2014 at 11:09 am

see what peer pressure, in excess money , bully has caused. RIP

• Leah

October 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I honestly don’t think that “peer pressure and bulling” has anything to do with this. I have always been skinny with a small butt, and a few years ago I did wish I had a little more junk in the trunk to look better in some clothing . But since this craze for huge behind and the likes of Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj came along, I thank god every for my body. I think now that separates the ladies from the…. I don’t care if the whole neighborhood get butts implants, I will be the only girl with my real a$$ in the block. There are a lot of well educated, talented and beautiful women on TV everyday who are known for more than just the size of their body parts. People choose what to emulate and then blame it on “peer pressure.

• G

October 30, 2014 at 7:39 pm

My dear,
      Just because you can’t relate to this article based on your experience. Please don’t rule out peer pressure.
      I presume you don’t live abroad or you are one of the fortunate ones to have supportive friends, family and living in the moral eloquent neighbourhood and society.
      Her friend has stated the obvious and the obvious is real. Words and bullying hurt especially if you don’t feel accepted. Depending also on your family dynamic. One of the norms in this society (esp abroad) especially amongst girls is being accepted.
      Just because you haven’t had that experience doesn’t mean you should rule it out. I know of girls in secondary school who use to laugh taunt and mock girls with asset. Later on they were the ones wearing all the pads in the market for their bums and boobs.
      Some girls have confided in me what they r about to do and I talk them out of it. And they have said they know I will be able to talk them out of it. That their other friends are telling them to do it. Can you imagine.
      Thank your lucky stars that you do not have back to back insults,taunting,setbacks to affect your esteem. some people have the courage to shut it down at the initial stage, but some have allowed it to marinate in their head.
      Secondary school over hear is cut throat at times especially for those who relocated to study here at a tender age.
      I notice a pattern amongst some ex friends yes, because from their accents, to the way they dress, to the way they carry themselves. Lets not include if they want to deem you poor. arghhh Some don’t even want you to mention that they can speak their dialect or pidgin English. Some sound posher than the Queen herself. why do I sound sarcastic, because they try to down play your worth.

Here in UK the norm is about class, racism exist but the tip of the top is being classed. A lady from middle east explained to me this dynamic. Just because she worked for a posh lady. She told me what intrigued her at first was her employer who watched David Beckham’s interview said ” Oh he no longer sounds Common, he is now eloquent and Posh”

If Naomi Campbell and Tyra both agree that you could be on the tabloids wear the most desirable expensive dress and yet feel insecure inside. I am sure you are aware that there was alot of bullying and mind playing in that industry. For that reason Tyra had to have her mum (support system by her). Then know that some things are real. Tiwa Savage also being bullied UK , support system her Mum. One of the reason’s Naomi was jealous of Tyra is because she had a support system. Meanwhile Naomi’s Mum could not come.

Alot have said nurture,nature and environment affect our mindset.

I pray those who experiencing low self esteem seek the right council.

5. Seun Idris

October 30, 2014 at 11:09 am

I’m sorry to her family,that is if they still exist! To me,criticism led her to it. She been taunted by people,shouldn’t have bothered her much,because,whether you DO IT GOOD or you DO IT BAD,they must criticise you negatively!! This all happened due to her low-self esteem,apparently. I pray for her soul to lay in the bosom hands of the CREATOR. Adieu,miss.Williams!

6. coke

October 30, 2014 at 11:16 am

what’s one to make of this?

• Johnson Septics

February 19, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Cheap Price – Botched op – Arse explodes – Curtains.

7. chy

October 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE ARE FED DAILY BY THE WORLD BEST IDEA OF BEAUTY THAN WHAT IT TRULY IS. I HOPE PARENTS EDUCATE AND INSTILL IN THEIR KIDS THE PURPOSE OF ACCEPTING WHO THEY ARE AS AGAINST WHAT THE WORLD THROWS AT THEM, LETTING THEM KNOW NO ONE IS PERFECT.

8. olasumbo

October 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

Are they your creator! No fear of God, you just kill yourself. i just wonder why this generation did not appreciate how God created them. just unfortunate. wasted generation!!!

9. Bola Odu

October 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

All in the name of fashion she lost her life. I don’t know why human beings are not satisfy with the way God created them.

10. Zara

October 30, 2014 at 11:23 am

Ohh dear!!rest in peace..

11. ekaPraise

October 30, 2014 at 11:27 am

oga o.

12. soniapaloma

October 30, 2014 at 11:28 am

wow, this is what the media is doing to the society. Having the perfect body is the new crazed that most young girls are going the extreme length to look perfect . R.I.P young lady, if only you had worked on your self esteem and get inspiration from people without half of your beauty or with parts of their body missing but still live in this cruel world with a smile on their face.

• rohda

October 31, 2014 at 6:11 am

Yes it is heart breaking, so many Young girls competing with fashion media and acceptance ,I’m of the older generation 45+,in my school day in London it was race rejection not fitting in,things have changed, I really hoped that she could of had genuine support, now I am a Christian my identity comes from Christ him.I was always bullied because I was different, but not everyone overcome s my faith has helped. I also accept others as not perfect, and protect I protect my mind.I’m nt into all these. Fashion idolisims although I can knock out a good dress when I’m ready.Life is short, get meaning enjoy,and ignore media.God Bless psalm 139.That’s you beautiful made!

13. jaaxxy

October 30, 2014 at 11:29 am

odeeku!

14. bruno

October 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

this is what society does to people. everbody has the unrealistic image of what a woman should look like (big boobs big butts slim waist long hair blue/grey eyes light skin etc) it sickens me.

learn to love your self no matter the shape or size.

rip baby girl.

• Ephi

October 30, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Wow, Bruno is beginning to change small small, no insult or negative comment 🙂 Praise da Lord

RIP to her. It’s every parent’s role to instill a strong sense of identity in their kids. At some point in time, especially in the Western countries, you will certainly encounter people who try to put you down. It’s at that point a strong self-esteem would come in and be a saving grace.
      Shame to all bullies out there.

15. Leo

October 30, 2014 at 11:39 am

so sad!!!!! Rest In Peace.

16. Mems

October 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks to Kim K

• MC

October 30, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Thanks to herself!
      Everybody has there own life to live and make their own decisions.

17. Hubby to wifey!

October 30, 2014 at 11:47 am

To all, especially ladies,

There are many things in the life of an individual that can be influenced, changed or controlled, while on the other hand, there are things one cannot change/have control over.

You have control/can influence the guy/girl you date & marry, the place you work, the car you use, the clothes you wear, to mention a few. On the other hand, there are other things you cannot change/influence. You can’t determine who your father or mother would be (I am sure many would have wanted to have another father/mother, if possible), you can’t influence your complexion (you were born that way); you can’t influence your height and body features.

What makes you what you are is a resultant effect of genetics and other factors that were either passed down to you or factors beyond your control (e.g an individual who had an accident and became disfigured or fire accident).

Having said this, there is no man or law that states that some categories of people with some specific features are the finest, best, cutest…..(whatever you term it to be). There is no law that says those with big boobs, big bum, are the cutest. No law states that the dark or fair in complexion are the most attractive. No societal law states that those with natural hair or those with attachment are the good looking ones.

For every feature, category or body type, there are sets of people who appreciate those unique features. Permit me to use the term “ready market” There are men/ladies whose preference is the short/average ladies/men. There are men/ladies whose preference is the tall guys/ladies.

It will surprise you to know that there are some categories of people who wouldn’t care whether you are tall, average, dark, fair or what have you. Why do you think some men go after that girl selling tomato, selling bread, housemaid despite the fact that the wife/girlfriend looks out of this world? Many really don’t care about what you have or have not! It would also surprise many ladies that only a small fraction of the male population really care about your hair do. I have seen and know many who prefer their ladies/wives being natural.

I will conclude by saying cherish whatever you have. Never be intimidated by anyone. In whatever category you find yourself, look good and dress smart.
    The Fair complexioned is not better than the dark complexioned, and vice versa
    The natural hair team is not better than the attachment team, and vice versa
    The average height people are not better than the tall people, and vice versa.

Be confident of yourself!

RIP young lady. As beautiful as this your picture looks, i can vouch many men would die to have you. What else were you looking for to add to what you have got?

• omoibo

October 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm

@Hubby to Wifey, you couldn’t have said it any better but we live a world were there is so much societal pressure to look & act a certain way. The best gift I received during my upbringing in my formative years was a feeling of self worth from within and this has remained with into adulthood and will be passed on to my kids.
      RIP to the young lady & my condolences to her family 🙁

18. tee

October 30, 2014 at 11:58 am

She’s beautiful really what a waste

19. Ifunanya

October 30, 2014 at 12:19 pm

What a pity this is wat low self esteem and inferiority complex can lead to#rip

20. www.africanstorytellers.blogspot.com

October 30, 2014 at 12:23 pm

some have food but cannot eat, some can eat but have no food…we have food and we can eat, glory be to thee, O Lord!
    What more can one say in such a matter as this?

africanstorytellers.blogspot.com

• Doe

October 30, 2014 at 3:51 pm

you just summed up what is in my mind, and am here trying different methods to shed some butt, mehn i better start appreciating what i have

21. Ologundudu Abraham

October 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I still do not understand people try change themselves. If only they knew how perfect they are just the way God fashioned it. May her soul rest in peace.

22. rosie

October 30, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Too bad. rest in peace girl

23. Sereena

October 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

RIP to her.As my mother said to me once “A slim body/big boobs/big bum etc is no good if its lying inside a cadket”.Value life not vanity.

• Sereena

October 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm

*Casket

24. Viantea

October 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Poor girl.. why waste time and money doing that

25. Grace

October 30, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Buh na wa o….some girls eh,like suffering from self esteem ,oyibo/these celeb on magazines covers sha dey really dey use die…I cant in a anyway possible think of such,yeah i love it when i see a lady with a tiny waist,all set boobs and ass(Just like i love Nikki Minaj’s body)despite the fact that i know its all job buh that doesn’t mean i will like to go under the knife. Its damn crazy. We have to learn to appreciate the way we are…yeah it can difficult expecially in this time and age where u have to be slim to be beautiful/accepted in the society. Buh trust me we are all fine whether slim or fat. Like it is said “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”

26. Oy

October 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm

hehehehheheheheheheeee i laugh in reggae

27. Classybae

October 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm

It is sad that most people still needs others approval to be happy, i honestly wish the media would stop promoting the ‘kim Kardashian & whitenicious’ kinda image, we are tired mhen. May the departed soul RIP
    @Bruno, You just made my day, I find myself scrolling down to read every of your very interesting comments. Am glad you feel this way, welcome to the other side of life!! *runs for cover* lol

28. Iris

October 30, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Where is that individual from a few weeks ago that asked why the backside of the Chinese woman who attacked an ATM was so flat? When you remember that comment, also remember that sometimes people do stupid things like this because of people like you.

29. busybee

October 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm

RIP! I hope the person that is saying she was mocked in school and she didn’t need surgery made the effort to reassure, encourage and be there for her when she was being teased. If not. PLEASE HAVE SEVERAL SEATS!

30. Moet

October 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm

no pity for her. hope others learn to appreciate and be thankful for the way they are. mtchew…

31. babe

October 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Self centered [email protected] it is my money don’t tell me hw to spend it..

32. Author Unknown

October 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Reality is most people have some form of insecurity about their natural look, and many given the opportunity, as long as they can afford it and it can be kept confidential, will go to lengths to do something about it . The problem with society is that we don’t practice what we preach. We say no one physical attribute is better than the other, yet our actions speak different. It’s difficult to judge. Maybe the problem was going to a place like Thailand to get it done cheaply, though botched surgeries happen everywhere. The money would have been better spent seeking counsel, but that’s a tad late now. RIP and I hope her family holds up okay.

33. Briggs

October 30, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Hmm, Peer pressure, low self esteem. RIP

34. keechi

October 30, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Idk if it’s mean of me to say that I don’t sympathize about this situation but for her family. This is what happens when we all pursue that “perfect look”. We are already made perfect because a perfect God created us. Please don’t look up to these celebrities for an idea of perfection. Because deep down, even after their enhanced body parts, some of them are not happy. This is how they commit suicide. So please ladies, be content and happy with who you are. The only thing that you can do if you want to look good and healthy is to eat healthy and workout. Everything else is perfect on u. God ain’t no fool. And if u do decide to enhance any body part, please for the love of God, go with skilled pple and drop down the cash. It’s your life you’re endangering.

35. Concerned_Boyfriend

October 30, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I’m sorry but I have no pity for people like this.

36. Winston Balagare

October 30, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Ladies, please, listen to me. This is sooooo unnecessary of you. Who are you doing these things for? For we men?

Jese Christ–don’t you know we will still lust over you, whether you have big nyash or not? There’s someone out here for everyone. Don’t let this quest to become desirable to men cost you your lives. Fat or flat, one of us wants to smash it. It is true!

So, stop all this killing yourself for surgery. Just be clean, and we will accept you for who and what you are. Mmkay? Tank you. Bye bye.

37. Kunle Adekolo

October 30, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I’m sorry to say, but I blame Wizkid, and Iyanya, and Patoranking, and Orezi, and all the rest of them who feature these light/white, round-bottom girls in their videos. Everytime they make a video with this type of imagery, they will continue to have the blood of Joy Williams on their hands.

The headlines should actually read, “Joy Williams Killed By Wizkid”

38. Wale

October 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm

N kan ti oju wa ni oju ri. Good riddance, women should try to accept and be proud of what they are blessed with, no one is perfect.

39. Just me

October 30, 2014 at 5:51 pm

The yansh enhancement thing, i do not get it.
    I guess i will never understand what it feels like not to get yansh.
    I thank God for my small yansh….moving right along.

40. nene

October 30, 2014 at 5:51 pm

mschew. wasted life. even if you must, please don’t go outside the US or Europe, if you love your life

41. ATL's finest

October 30, 2014 at 6:57 pm

RIP to her!!! Please don’t ever get any procedures done outside America or Europe.. Especially those going to Mexico really??? Tiny went to Africa to change her eye color damm Goodluck.. People get fucked up!! Low self esteem is a bad disease so please build one!!! You are beautiful inside & out ladies, and was made to stand out not fit in..

42. ms lala

October 30, 2014 at 7:17 pm

whatever happened to doing squats and eating more protein. RIP JOY cheap surgery is always a suspect shit aint about to be right.

43. ESI

October 30, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Oh vanity, why? Nothing wrong with her look in that pic. Did she not hear about young Claudia Aderotimi also from England who died in a similar way after fake butt injection in Philadelphia?

44. LILO

October 31, 2014 at 4:44 am

Thailand loun loun? She is lucky they found her corpse

45. Ceetoo

October 31, 2014 at 8:59 am

See this nice looking girl with lovely eyes…you cant have it all now…
    RIP