Music

“Believe In Yourself!” Watch D’Banj’s Motivational TEDx Speech about the Future of African Youths

DBanjTedEx_A couple of weeks ago D’Banj was at the TEDxWBG conference to deliver a speech (click here if you missed the first details) where he shared the stage with President of the World Bank – Jim Yong Kim and Eleni Gabre-Madhin, the Co-founder and CEO of Eleni LLC.

The Nigerian artiste delivered quite a motivational speech on change and the future of African youths. The video for the speech is finally available and we can’t wait to share it with our BN readers.

In the video, D’Banj shares his view of the role young people can play in transforming their societies. According him, if Africa’s youths are the future of Africa, then Africa is the future of the world.

He also sang his hit single, ‘Top of the World’.

Watch!

1. D'banjAmazedMe

October 22, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I am not a d’banj fan but he is for sure the biggest artist to come out of Nigeria at the moment.Only few celebs in Nigeria can still be that composed when they know they will be sharing the same stage with the president of world bank..He spoke well and delivered brilliantly..WOW SO INSPIRATIONAL

• D'banjAmazedMe

October 22, 2014 at 4:57 pm

INSPIRING*

• Shao

October 22, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Dbanj is one of the only very few Nigerian celebrities that understand that being a celebrity means using your position to empower people and change lives positively. Not only about flashy things and nonsense music and social media addiction.

Well done dbanj. You are working on your legacy.

• Suwa

October 22, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I am just in shock that no one has seen the dumbness in the statement that has been projected and are just hailing the koko master cos it sounds like the koko is speaking! If africas youth are the future of Africa, huh?????? the youth of any country is the future of that country and generation!!! then africa is the future of the world?? let me get this straight! Is he saying African youths are well equipped to lead the world right now in comparison to youths from other continents???? Joker!! Big Joker!! All you need to do is look at how many have to go abroad to get top notch education and how many can afford to get first class education… just talking rubbish! He is a failure as an artist right now, His beats are off and can never be compared to those crazy hits he had with Don Jazzy. He cant sing and has confessed that many times! he needs crazy beats to survive… And yes he goes around making speeches but I havent seen any actions yet at all. All bark and no bites. People passionate and out for a change in Nigeria or Africa start by doing something not making speeches here and there! Hes so big right? He should have the funds to start at least! People upgrade your thinking and dont be impressed by what you see only! Dig deep! Mschew #next

• Olori Tari

October 22, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Lmfaooooooo aww baby girl you are so hurt! Breathe first…and a little more and again! All these anger and all the “mscheww” and “next”… you are investing too much emotions on someone you supposedly don’t rate. I won’t even bother trying to explain the loop holes in your comment especially as I’m not here to police your opinion, be it naive or not! But a few questions would do, so if he’s giving speeches, isn’t that a way of creating awareness and isn’t that taking action and doing something ? The petition he got a lot of youth and people generally to sign – is that still barks and no bites and just maybe you can look at the bigger picture? You realise the whole Agriculture thing started from one campaign contacting him to raise awareness, so all these money talks i do not even know. Anyway, just remember to relax and yeah, person no go sing forever!

• dumbthinkin

October 22, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Most retarded being on here. You people wont stop sucking don jazzy’s D!$&ck.. He has used credit to block your brains to the extent of seeing something good from d’banj. You are a pathetic looser and people like you will end up with nothing good in life. Your so called don jazzy was only able to do 1 concert in the last 3 years. Now he has desperately turned to a artist. He is a fake boss and he is not even the owner of mavins , the real boss is dbanj here.. breaking boundaries, signing big deals, big endorsements. And for your info feeling the niggaa by dbanj will be out soon then you will swallow your words.

• whyareyousofrustrated

October 22, 2014 at 10:46 pm

LOL i know its so painful to watch someone you want down going up and doing bigger things you would expect. You sound so frustrated and i still do not understand the reason for such comments from you. If the speech was made by don jazzy would you have posted same frustrated comment?? I am not a dbanj fan but your comment was unnecessary because i see nothing wrong in what he said and honestly i was inspired because only few celebs can do what he is doing at the moment. It is not all about doing song..Been a celeb is more than that and that is why i find d’banj more blessed than any of them in the industry

• bannky

October 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Suwa sound so frustrated. I am still yet to find anything wrong with this speech.. This seem more like a personal hatred to me.You need to get a life and stop hating on someone who is more successful than your entire generation

• Opportune

October 23, 2014 at 12:57 am

Obama is AN Africa and he is the leader of the world (America is the most powerful country in the world) are u stupid?The struggle Africans go through daily and survive shows how strong they are.Look at the list of riches people and what they came from.In America people can use textbooks,calculators computers to advance but the African child makes it with just his broken pencil and old book please dear stop the hate unless don cannot sing loosing Jazzy sent you.

• deb

October 23, 2014 at 8:35 am

He concluded the statement by saying “so if we empower the youths” so pls stop getting angry unnecessarily his speech has already travelled across the world and it is going to yield positive results.

• Busby

October 23, 2014 at 9:08 am

He can’t sing (your opinion). At least he’s doing something. What have you done? Or what are you doing to touch lives where you are? Complainer oshi!

• poisefreak

October 23, 2014 at 9:27 am

Shut Up please.

• Suwa

October 23, 2014 at 10:34 am

Thanks guys for all the replies, didnt know my comment was going to affect some so deeply, only person that made sense was Olori Tari, I have taken the deep breaths but I still feel hes dumb but may b people change, hes taken off some of the irresponsible looks and stopped shouting koko master every where he goes so may be theres hope for him but I still feel all this is to stay relevant, hes music career is failed right now as far as i am concered, isnt he supposed to be signed to kanye’s label? i dont hear anything good neither has he reached the american or intl audience i thought he will get… To me this its all just publicity until I see change somewhere that can be measured not signing of petition, where does that ever get anyone in Nigeria neither do our leaders listen to speeches or protests… as for dumbthing, thank God you identified yourself as that name cos thats whats you are, whyareyousofrustrated, my question is why are you so frustrated??? The rest, thanks for your replies but im not a celeb, you didnt have to follow up with me….but im truly flattered, hope you follow up with me again, im open

• John Bosco

October 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Sister Suwa all this hatred for a person that does not even know you exist. Is clouding your judgement. You called Dbanj dumb and said there is still hope for him. You that is smart, can you do half of what he has done? For a supposed dumb guy to speak to rise to where he is today is an amazing feat, we are still waiting for smart people like you to show us what u can do. You said he is doing all this to stay relevant, well Ted, Apple, Sony, CAF and all those big endosment deals are the ones behind his recent relevance, it is not his doing alone and finally if I have learnt anything from African leaders it is that they act when there is international attention on them, and one of the ways this can be achieved is through awareness, something Dbanj is doing a good job at. I would like you to mention current celebrities doing anything to touch the lives of African youths.. Get rid of all that hate it is bad for your health,especially for someome that does not kmow you exist..

2. Gistyinka Blog

October 22, 2014 at 4:57 pm

In my own view D’banj, is african biggest music export over the past 2 decade.

3. Baba

October 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Love me a brother!!!! This cat can do no wrong.

4. Luqman

October 22, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Eja nla surface……………Very articulate!

5. O~Intuition!

October 22, 2014 at 5:12 pm

D’Banj… #keepReinventingYourself #KirakitaOD’ola…. #Loveyouloads

6. garland orhue

October 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm

i had never seen him so matured, not until now. oh chee!

7. mandhip

October 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

This guy has re branded himself completely, wow ! If dbanj life doesn’t motivate and inspire you then I doubt if you can ever be inspired. Thank you dbanj, I’m inspired

8. hafsat Aminullah

October 22, 2014 at 5:32 pm

nice one banjo

9. @edDREAMZ

October 22, 2014 at 5:39 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Am just proud he is repping naija well… God bless bro….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

10. Olori Tari

October 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Ori ya to so ri. D’banj OYATOOOOOOOOOO!

11. agwata iyknike

October 22, 2014 at 5:49 pm

1 word for Dbanj, ur speech is ok for d African youths, personally its a challenge to me. I now see my self as d future of d World

12. ada ikpoh

October 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm

the moment he dropped the lines “cocoa na chocolate” i was locked in! very different but awe inspiring nonetheless x

13. AnnieRose

October 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm

One word, AMAZING. Dbanj this is so inspiring.

14. missy J

October 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Looool some of them people be like..”He should better run back to Don Jazzy now before its too late cause its evident he is loss”… Kaaai my people!!!! Well done Dbanj, what an amazing achievement, got all African leaders to assign 10% of the annual revenue to Agriculture, to me that is far better than releasing any hit record cause at the end of the day this move will change my life and that of my family. Well done again. Thank you!!

15. cool

October 22, 2014 at 6:02 pm

You earn my respect from today on D’banj. You are actually better than i thought.

16. dennis lawal

October 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I gat few words. He’s a secret hidden in Africa, if u knw wat he knows u’ll like him. D’banj is bllessed&has strong self driving determinations.

17. Uche

October 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Haha love the part he changed his glasses. Keep going Brother!!!

18. Ruru

October 22, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Beautifful

19. JT

October 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Gooooo D’banj!!! It is quite a delight watch and very inspiring to see your growth. Nothing moves more like seeing an individual/artist work hard to reinvent their craft and brand.

##Note to others – Celebrity is not the end of it all. You should consistently work hard year after year to refine and grow yourselves. You owe it to the fans that are looking up to you!

20. AWWWW

October 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I am really proud of D’banj!!!!!! This was inspiring!

21. smith

October 22, 2014 at 9:14 pm

pls…. d banj is everything,music o style o swag o intelligence o ,infact everything a celeb need,living legend.no artist like d banj in dis country,totally different from others,best!

22. tony

October 22, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Watched it twice.. I mean i watched it 2 times.. and I will watch it again.. Nice!!!

23. Leke

October 22, 2014 at 9:27 pm

God bless bella naija commenters. Objective pple. Thats why i love to read your comments even if its 5. If Dbanj shld sing a meaningless song….I will always love his person and his brand. Not everybody will be like the Rkellys but some will choose the path of P diddy and Dre. All you need in life is a stepping stone. Dbanj is undisputable and also an Icon of class per excellence. (Wotevva dat means) lol. Omini skibanj!!

24. Nne

October 22, 2014 at 10:37 pm

NICE ONE!!!

25. Girl

October 22, 2014 at 10:43 pm

@Suwa,you sound really sad….Wot sense av u actually made urself?D’banj makes a very optimistic statement abt Africans ruling the world someday and u av a problem with that..Even if it never happens,how and why shld such a positive statement frm him affect u for u to write down such crap?People frm Nigeria go abroad to read etc…Like seriously,so?????He is a failed artiste right now,did u say?Cos he hasn’t produced a spanking hit since he parted ways wiv Don Jazzy,makes him a failed artiste right?Its unfortunate ur views are very myopic and more importantly u don’t seem to even understand the complexity of change and wot diversity is all abt..Oh well,in this life,there must always be someone who objects to summin regardless of if the whole world accepts or appreciates that same thing or same move so really ur comment shldnt be surprising…………….D’banj,more power to your elbow!

26. Seun Tuyo

October 22, 2014 at 11:18 pm

This was an amazing speech/performance from our very own. Nice one Dbanj

27. Leke

October 23, 2014 at 12:34 am

@suwa……so you can analyze like this and yet know body is willing to employ you?. In what capacity have u made a difference? I hate to compare but in what way has Donjazzy’s life better than dbanj since they parted ways. Even the whites in TEDx where happy. Dbanj didnt come out to contest election yet he has taken a bolder step far than any other. Obviously you are just hating. We know your type….those of you with the opportunity to have a phone with cheap data, living in a barrack like building in Ijoko or ijede where we cant possibly locate in the map of lagos or nigeria. It will do you no good cos Dbanj does not even knw you exist. Keep your analysis to yourself cos obviously you cant even interprete his speech.

28. dede 1 day

October 23, 2014 at 12:35 am

Very Inspiring. I have a new level of respect for Dbanj. Thanks dbanj and I know I am the future of the World.

29. 'Gbemi L.

October 23, 2014 at 1:19 am

Ha! Love love love the speech! I believe in this cause and I pray he succeeds.

30. 'Gbemi L.

October 23, 2014 at 1:21 am

Feed ourselves and feed the rest of the world! Yezzir.. Lehhzzzgo!

31. Ibukun

October 23, 2014 at 3:39 am

Yes!!! i’m proud of this.

32. The Sophia Bello

October 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

If you really think something is wrong with that speech, it’s clear you’re a HATER!!!

I’ve always loved Dbanj even when he was singing crap but it’s good to know he’s not just an entertainer. He spoke really well, super proud of him (that’s me famzing)

33. Busby

October 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

To you, he cant sing. At least he’s doing something. What have you done? Complainer oshi!

34. lollly

October 23, 2014 at 11:21 am

yipeee! its official…I love Dbanj (not lust or infatuation) . I long adopted him as my brother , only he doesnt know this hehehehe.
    Dbanj, you are blessed! God will continue to do wonders in your life. No weapon fashioned against you shall prosper.
    Dbanj oyatoooo!!!!!!!!

35. master

October 23, 2014 at 3:26 pm

D Banj has failed musically but u av my pass mark wen it come to speech delivery.

36. kk

October 23, 2014 at 7:27 pm

So much respect for Dbanj!!!! truly inspiring. May God continue to bless you.

37. Iam Samuel

October 23, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Decades ago,a man foretold a black man becoming the president of America. Years passed and today,a black man is the president of the most powerful nation in the world. My question now is that what is wrong with dbanj seeing a light in the dark ? In as much as i hurt comparison,what a heck has don baba achieve since his famous split with dbanj? Musically, dbanj song was used as Africa cup of nations theme song and that of half of a yellow sun. He won an award @ world music award,signed multi million deals compare to don j loyal milk(lol),visiting world leaders and taking Africa to a new height. What has don j achieved n wht meaningful hit has he made the doroshit or whatever. Dbanj my brother,I respect your hustle and this is the beginning of your blessings. Please the next you see don j,tell him to keep running 100 meters while dbanj runs 5k meters.

38. .......just saying

October 24, 2014 at 6:33 am

My name is D’banj and I’m from Africa? Since when did Africa become a country? Is your passport African?

• Visitor

October 24, 2014 at 8:51 pm

But isn’t he from Africa???? Hahahahaha :-p

39. bukola

October 24, 2014 at 8:18 am

So inspired. God bless u Dbanj. I m so happy that a man from this country is delivering a speech in front of d whole world leaders. Surely Dbanj u are favoured, blessed ……… It is not by your power but Big God is with u. He’s been taken you from glory to glory. I love this.

40. wassca

October 24, 2014 at 11:38 am

wat an inspirational speaker….. Dbanj has alway been d best never doubted dat guy, he is a fighter never gives up alway set to attain his set standard even above, u re my mentor, role model……. I love u….. D banjo family will definitely b proud of him…… Wat an over comer afighter nd an inspirational speaker……… Bangerleeee take over tohr bad… Wanted 500,000 signature bt ended up wit 2,000,000 plus.. Genius

41. miss bhee