News

Ebola Scare: Passenger Flying from Lagos to NY Dies on Plane

ARIK AIRA 63-year-old man on an Arik Air flight died during a flight from Lagos to New York, prompting fear amongst passengers that he may have to Ebola.

The man is said to have boarded the JFK-bound flight which had 145 passengers on board on Wednesday night, but died before arriving the plane’s destination, Daily Mail reports.

The case was immediately reported to the CDC, customs officials, and port authority. Authorities are said to have conducted a brief test on the body, and thereafter concluded that the deceased did not have Ebola.

Many are criticizing the what they have described as the “very brief” examination conducted on the corpse. There are fears that detecting whether an individual has Ebola should take more than just a few minutes.

Republican Congressman Peter King, is one of the people who holds those views. Here are brief excerpts of a letter he wrote to the Department of Homeland Security:

“It was what I was told a cursory examination. The Port Authority cops and personnel from Customs and Border Protection were there, and they were told there was no danger because the person did not have Ebola…

But the concern is, how could you tell so quickly? And what adds to the concern is how wrong the CDC has been over the past few weeks…”

1. BellaNoire (ww.bellanoireshop.com)

October 17, 2014 at 10:54 am

If he was killed by Ebola, I’m not sure they would have even been able to sit on the plane with him. Doesn’t the disease lead to body deterioration before death?

2. beauty

October 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

People should stop being unnecessary scared. There’s zero-no ebola case in the country nww, so where could he have gotten it. Is it not even in that America that they were heading to that ebola is in *rolls eyes*

3. i no send

October 17, 2014 at 11:49 am

americans and their hysteria so no west african can die of any other cause except ebola..mtchww

• lala

October 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

They cannt even handle one freaking ebola case they had. They were and still all over the map on the other new cases. All noise and no action.

4. jake ro

October 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

To be honest, I find it unfair that nigeria has not registered any ebola case for some time now but,CNN and other news network still show nigeria on their screen as one of the countries that is still hard hit with ebola.it is totally u fair and total disreguard to the hard work the country has been doing all these while.is true there are chances that it may happen by one person or two coc nigeria is a transit country for the rest of west africa but for now, they are working hard on it and has to be commended than show nigeria red on the screen.give encouragement to those countries who are working hard to stamp out ebola , so that others will learn from them that is possible to defeat this virus

• Author Unknown

October 17, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Not entirely true jake ro. The media in America (incl. CNN) have in all fairness given Nigeria credit for containing the spread, and tend to quote three West African countries – Liberia (as the epicenter), Sierra Leone and Guinea as the Ebola hotspots. As for the American people, they will scream Ebola even if someone from Jamaica has a high fever. They don’t take geography classes in that country. Unfortunately we have to deal with them, and their ignorance.

5. Eve82

October 17, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I bet you this man was having a heart attack, and everyone was scared to touch him, or use the defibrillator to save his life. See what Ebola has caused!

• jum

October 17, 2014 at 1:36 pm

You may be actually right! This is getting out of hand. Innocent people are dying because of the fair of ebola. I honestly think they need to start training people who have direct contact in ways to handle situations like this.

• lala

October 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm

That means HAZMAT will have to be on board of the plane in order to risk assisting someone in crisis that may have EBV.

6. Ndubuisi

October 17, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Latest development CDC have release a report about an hour ago and it stated that the passenger on Arik air from Lagos to New York did not die from ebola virus. it’s also gave being reported by New York post it’s on there website.

7. keechi

October 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm

OK Americans need to take a chill pill, I understand it’s a scary thing and precaution needs to be taken but in all honesty, they were never plugged into this Ebola epidemic when it was in Africa but the minute it hit America, now everyone seems to care and seems to have an opinion. They’ve all become experts in it. And I’m talking about the normal everyday citizens. You will not believe the amount of ignorance I see everyday living in America. Some think every plane coming from Africa (doesn’t matter which country) has at least one Ebola patient in it. Smh get educated pple! Anyways I pray for a miracle, a cure to be found.

8. rhonda

October 17, 2014 at 4:17 pm

keechi,
    Every country has their fair share of idiots who go around stereotyping people from other countries. If it upsets you than why do you perpetuate it? If Americans didnt care how do you explain our doctors and missiinaries that have been present from the beginning risking their lives? I have watched ebola develop since May. My heart is with the people in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. It is heartbreaking to see such tragic events unfold and there is nothing I can do to help. I cant imagine what those people are going through. Prayers and God bless!

9. flo

October 17, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Something similar happened to me Emirates in UAE.I suddenly started shivering and I felt like throwing up.Asked a lady to look after my bag that I needed to run to the toilet ,the kind eye she gave me ehn.I was secretly praying to God to help me ooo, so that I won’t be turned back from boarding the plain.May God help us oooo.

10. Madonna

October 17, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I can relate with the panic been generated from this incident. To be honest, most of us would react the same way, if somebody suddenly DIES in an aircraft, but the part that gets me worried is the insinuation that every body from Africa is a potential Ebola patient, notwithstanding that Nigeria has recorded no cases in the past 3 or so months, which is long enough for ‘suspects’ to have shown clinical signs and probably die from the disease. This brings to mind the primitive way most ‘whites’ had or stil treat or regard Africans. It is disheartening. Moreover, the American Government should try to prevent the insurgence of hysteria among its people as it would rather do more harm than good especially in a developing potential pandemic as in this case.

11. Zeolite

October 26, 2014 at 2:53 am

When anyone dies now, it will be because of ebola. People are just too scared of it now.