An explosion has occurred at the central mosque in Kano this afternoon, as worshipers were having their Friday Jumat service, Daily Times reports.
Many are feared dead.
We will bring you additional updates as they are revealed.
NAN reports that the police in Kano have confirmed the death of 35 persons in the three explosions at the Central Mosque in Kano metropolis on Friday.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police in Kano State, Sanusi Lemu, gave the figures when he briefed newsmen in Kano on Friday.
He said 150 persons sustained injuries in the three blasts “which occurred in different places around the vicinity of the mosque.’’
According to him, the incident happened when many people converged on the mosque for the Friday congregational prayers at about 2p.m.
He said security had been beefed up in the area while investigation had since commenced.
Lemu said the injured persons had been taken to hospitals for treatment while the corpses had been deposited at the morgue.
Lemu urged the people in the state to continue to be very vigilant and report any suspected persons to the security agencies for immediate action.
An eye witness told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) earlier that three persons suspected to be connected with the explosives were burnt to death.
“This was after one of the suspected suicide bombers detonated the bomb from the vehicle he was driving.’’
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up around the mosque close to the Emir’s Palace in the city.
CNN reports that the death toll resulting from the bombing has risen to over 100, and scores were injured.
The attack was carried out by suicide bombers who blew themselves up, and gunmen who sporadically shot at the Muslim congregation.