Scoop

Toyin Aimakhu: We haven’t done our Traditional and White Wedding Because There is no Money

Toyin Aimakhu Johnson - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 07Nollywood Yoruba actress Toyin AImakhu got married in 2013 and for the first time she is opening up about her marriage and her personal life.

She had a chat with YNaija and she talked about her husband, who she refers to as ‘my small god’.

Read excerpts from her interview below!

What has changed since you got married? “Dressing, I can’t wear those skimpy outfits anymore, moreover the way I talk to people has changed too. I can no longer make decisions on my own and I can’t use my BlackBerry anymore, that’s the most painful one. My husband doesn’t like me using It because it distracts me and I have to obey him because he is my small god”

Sex before Marriage: “Hmm, sex before marriage. I am guilty of it as well. It is not a good thing but what can we do. May God help us Christians and forgive us. It is not easy, the temptation is too much. In my own case, when I had with my husband before we got married, I really felt bad about it and asked for forgiveness and for like four months, we abstained from it till after our wedding. It wasn’t easy but we made sure there was some distance.”

Pregnancy before Marriage: I wasn’t pregnant before my wedding; my tummy was just big in the pictures because of too much carbohydrate. I wasn’t doing any form of exercise, I was too lazy but I am slimmer and prettier now.

White wedding: We haven’t done our traditional and white wedding because there is no money. Of course when money comes, we will do it. Many fans believe I pretend that I am wealthy but I am not, in fact I wish Daddy Mike Adenuga or Otedola would call me now and say my daughter, I heard you mentioned my name in your Alakada movie, come and take N10million. I will immediately go and buy a house in Banana Island, buy G-wagon and Range Rover and do a lot of shopping…lol, the truth is I don’t have money, we are struggling but we are not begging sha, and that is what matters, at least we live in a flat and we have a car, we try.”

On the controversy of being paid N1.5million to emcee a friend’s wedding recently: I wasn’t paid N1.5million for any MC job. The 1.5M tag on Instagram was the price of the ring, it was an exclusive diamond ring and I haven’t seen such before, I don’t know why bloggers will assume I was paid such, none of them bothered to confirm it from me. Sometimes when you are bored, you know you just write stuffs on social media but these bloggers blow it out of proportion. And even if I was paid N1.5million, why will I come on internet to let people know I was paid so. Olorun Maje (God forbid), I don’t have such upbringing about showing off my wealth to oppress others, when some don’t even have food to eat. Yet you see some celebs showing off almost 30 cars. That is why I love comedian AY and his wife, Mabel, Jesus Christ their house is awesome and out of this world, even 2Face’s house nko? Those are rich people yet they don’t come online to brag about their wealth or fake bags and shoes. Imagine someone buying a $3000 shoe, I dey mad.

Flaunting wealth on social media: Most times it is fans that cause it; they make many celebs lie on social media. They expect too much, forgetting that we are humans too. Imagine if I buy a 3k shoe for instance and I wear it to an event once, fans expect me not to wear it again, they will be like “is that not the shoe she wore last week” so celebrities have to please the fans, I don’t let it affect me though. if I should buy such a shoe, I will still wear it for 7 months”

Most expensive item in your wardrobe: The most expensive item in my wardrobe is nothing. My phone is the only expensive thing I have and it is even cheap sef. My clothes, shoes and bags are China or UK – primark new look – which I get from the Island.

You can read up her full interview feature here.

1. Nahum

November 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm

“I have to obey him because he is my small god”….toh. Now we know why Naija marriages are jacked up

• Taiwo

November 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Really, How fair is it to categorise all |Nigerian marriages as jacked up cos of one person? Gaaan sleep jor!

2. jessica

November 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

i do not understand the whole *i dont use blackberry cos of my husband* common girl!
    Marriage is not slavery u two should loosen up please. …oh well, to each his own tho

• sol

November 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

if it makes her marriage work and she and her husband are happy, pls why pour sand sand in their garri ?

• slice

November 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

let’s call it what it is. there’s something a little troubling about a man TELLING what to do or not do. esp when it’s clearly something she enjoys using and she only stops it cause he instructed her not to

3. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls

November 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

hahahhahahhahha this chic is crazy, never knew she had such humor! Hmmm really funny interview at least she kept it simple in her own way maybe not the best way to answer some of the questions but i like the fact that she made herself seem like the “girl next door”

• Chuckleberry

November 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Exactly, I know she’s wealthy than she portrays but trying to keep it simple . Crazy sense of humour, i kindda like it.

• Dara

November 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Lol. I don’t think she “made herself seem like the “girl next door” though. She IS the ‘girl next door’

4. Hurperyearmie

November 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

hmmmmmmmmmm thats all i will say for now

5. Sly

November 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Sincerely, I like this interview and i am impressed with her line of thought.If she is pretending then i must confess, she got me here.

6. MJ

November 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm

LMAO.. I was just laughing through out reading it. I imagined her saying them all. Love Toyin.

About the phone thing, I think there is pressure on her to be a “good wife” especially with the age thing but they will fine I think..

Toyin you really don’t have to have a big wedding. Just have him pay your bride price and get on with your lives together!

• Olanma

November 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

With what age thing? He’s 3 years older. Get your fact rights.

7. Exquisite

November 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I like the fact that she’s humble. And what she said about 2face is so true. The people will real money don’t brag about it.
    Take a good look at Mercy Aigbe and Tonto forever posting fake shoes and bags on instagram.

• Chuckleberry

November 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa……. its called ” notice me or i die” .

8. Chuckleberry

November 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm

…..imagine someone buying $3,000 shoes…. I dey mad !! Hahaaaaaa….. this chic wont kill me.

9. Fisa

November 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Yes these thing happen to people and am not surprised. I have friends who deactivated their Facebook profile after they got married, and when you ask them why did they go off Facebook, they will say errrm my husband asked me to go off FB. These things happen everywhere and its so surprising in this day and age a man will tell you to deactivate your facebook or stay away from bbm. And these Actors and Actresses are not as rich as w perceive them, most of them dont even have their own house, they live in rented apartment. Movie making dosent rake in so much money, the ones who show off on Social media mostly have backup “runs”

• cletus joy

November 7, 2014 at 11:16 pm

i thought marriage is a uinon dat make a better bond ad nt bondage my girl dnt give up cus there is hope ad god will provide for u ad u husband

10. efe

November 7, 2014 at 1:34 pm

The Babe is just being Real and herself. Not faking anything. Thumps Up!!!!!

11. deedah

November 7, 2014 at 1:36 pm

LOL, I like her honesty and sense of humour.

• Idomagirl

November 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm

me too..

12. unadite

November 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Ok, I see……that is why u want to be an MC by force( to make quick money) and you claim you were paid 1.5m for an event you ended up yabbing all the guests and making them uncomfortable. Concentrate on the marriage sis..

• Jaygirl

November 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Are you sure you can read? I’m a bit worried about you….lol!

• Daisy

November 8, 2014 at 1:35 am

Nne or Nna, why so bitter kwanu? Were u a guest at the event?

13. Idak

November 7, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I will immediately go and buy a house in Banana Island, buy G-wagon and range rover and do a lot of shopping…lol,

On top 10 million? Abi na pounds?

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I saw that to and wondered if she left out a zero… however, my other thought was that she very well might have been taking the mick. The entire interview excerpt reads as very tongue-in-cheek but she had me “lalfing”.

• Que

November 7, 2014 at 7:05 pm

She left out three zeros.

Love her though…

• Olanma

November 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

She was being sarcastic.

14. MoFaj

November 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I dont see any wrong with her husband asking her to keep off blackberry. The man would have his reasons for saying so and she will have her reasons for obeying her man. Its their life and their marriage. We need not judge them as long as its what they both want. I like her humility and humour.

• jajyjay

November 7, 2014 at 2:48 pm

those people complaining will do worse. Let us wait and see.

when you get there, not your husband will tell, you ankasa will advise yourself

15. tee

November 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm

wonderful

16. ajike

November 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Toyin I love that ,God bless your home

17. kaffy

November 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm

washere oremi! my fav actress, dis is one of the reasons i luv her, shes so real, nt lik som fake celebs…..mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

18. Aibee

November 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Lol! This interview had me laughing. I could just imagine the expressions on her face as she answered the questions. I think the chick is being real and down to earth.

As for her husband asking her to get off BBM, I think her husband is a somewhat private person, very much behind the scenes while she strikes me as one who isn’t wary of publicity. Perhaps he asked her to get off BBM for privacy purposes. For a lot of people, you know their every in and out simply because they don’t know what to keep off social media. It’s not like he rendered her incommunicado. She has her telephone lines and she is on facebook and instagram.

As long as she is happy and her husband treats her well, the rest of us should cheer from the sidelines and wish them well.

19. Alert!

November 7, 2014 at 2:48 pm

My dear 10Million if na naira can’t buy you a house in Banana Island o!

20. Ronke

November 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Toyin rocks! she always keeps it 100

21. B

November 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm

U have a point

22. Bunmi

November 7, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Madam toyin,y not sell your CAR and do your wedding? must u have a big wedding? you haven’t done your white wedding and you are driving a car. anyways,it looks like the car is your priority over your wedding. and as for your husband asking you to stop using bbm,i hope he too stops using his bbm ?

• dara

November 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

are you for real??????sell their means of transport and be hopping on buses because they want to do a wedding???she has done a court wedding!she is married!!!!what else do you want?!!!go sell all your property for wedding naaa…..alakoba

• CurvesAndEdges

November 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Sell her car so she can do wedding? That’s some interesting stuff.

• Beegal

November 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

ARE YOU FOR REAAAAAAAL??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• LILO

November 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Sell your possession to throw a wedding? After wedding she should hop from okada to bus? Lmao…you my dear are the one with messed up priorities. Hahaha…so you will feed the crowd with amazing decor at the Oriental and after wedding ‘haf’ finish go back home to sleep on the floor soaking Gaari . The wedding craze and madness in Nigeria is real…the lord is your muscle tho.

• Idomagirl

November 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm

You are the one with mixedup priorities here…

• Nina

November 7, 2014 at 8:22 pm

This person is making damn ASININE comments “sell her car to do wedding.” HA! you stupid gan sha

• Daisy

November 8, 2014 at 1:38 am

Lmaoooooo….so after wedding she shld be trekking to locations? JUst so dt random people will come n chop rice n walk away? Pls No. Not everytime just talk, sometimes think first.

• Lois

November 8, 2014 at 2:07 am

And what will a wedding she sells her car for do for her? Give her everlasting happiness or a guarantee for a bever ending marriage? Haba! Dey think small before you comment now. Even a civil union is enough and a small tradition rite just to fulfill traditional marriage righteousness

• Iris

November 8, 2014 at 4:57 am

LOOOOOLL. I can’t stop laughing. I can barely type. Jesus and all the saints! She should sell her car and have a wedding! Then starting the day after she will charter Legedes for the rest of her life. You’re so terribly funny I can’t even insult you, LOL. If you are married I can only hope you’re not in debt.

• Vivian Okorie Osigweh

November 8, 2014 at 5:18 am

So senseless

• Bide

November 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Award for the dumbmest comment on BN goes to you… Congratulations

23. setibrown

November 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

i think i likee this lady because she is down to earth.
    she repscts her husband doesnt mean she is a slave.
    she is pretty and belives keeping the black berry will distract her from her husband and that is so true.
    please this is ehat her life is about.
    Your comments dont really matter though cus it would chnage her.

24. deviousmaid

November 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm

@Bunmi,the only thing you said that made sense was you asking if her husband will stop using BBM too…your earlier statement is so shallow but hey you cant stop an ignorant person from displaying such.

• LILO

November 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I have reread bunmi’s comment a few times and I am quite appalled. Sell a car to throw a wedding? Wow…

25. annonymous

November 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Bunmi 3:25. you are indeed a foolish person with a minute brain! sell car to do wedding? she is legally married and that is what matters not the flamboyant see it all wedding. A wedding can also be blessed by God privately when we pray to God not necessarily by going to church for a white wedding or having guests over big or small.
    You have obviously got your priorities wrong!

26. Fume

November 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm

always loved Toyin, this just made me love her more, the BBM thing Tho! but that’s their life if she’s okay with it to hell with what i think. as for her wedding they’re legally married she wanting to do a white wedding is for people to just come and chop. i don’t mind her doing trad quietly as we know our society would echo it ( him not paying her bride price) over and over.

27. peace

November 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm

“Those are rich people yet they don’t come online to brag about their wealth or fake bags and shoes. Imagine someone buying a $3000 shoe, I dey mad” hahaha i love her already. Everything she said was real, no faking, just herself. I have never seen or heard of her before…but now i love her. This is the realest thing i have seen on here (bellanaija) in a long time. LOL

28. kbamishigbin

November 7, 2014 at 8:03 pm

dts a gud interview u av dr toyin,always ursef…God bless ur hom

29. Fre

November 7, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Lol, N10m to buy house in banana island, range rover,…?
    I don’t even know why I’m reading this.
    So much to say, but I’ll pass

30. atlstyle

November 7, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Keeping it real sista. We all know them crap celebs be rocking China chanel, rolex and all, we ain’t fooled, they r are the fools and all their fans that fall for their stupidity. Ms Bunmi..oh my days!! u just made me sick to my stomach for that dumb ass comment talking about sell her car and that she has misplaced priority..u girl have a jacked up sick as hell priority ewww, can’t believe u said that…sheew

31. NaijaPikin

November 7, 2014 at 8:50 pm

If given N10 Million her focus would be on buying house, gwagon and shopping. Clearly she missed a couple of zeros, but the bigger issue is that she’ll just blow the money. Do you not think about tomorrow? How will you eat tomorrow? But then again, who needs food when you are driving gwagon. pssst.

32. Naveah

November 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

As long as she don marry for court, she is married. All that church and traditional matter na for the family and other people to come chop clean mouth. And even those can be done conservatively, must it be Ibru sized wedding? You do as your hand fit do das all.

33. JustPassingThrough

November 7, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Toyin needs a publicist asap. Being real is ok, but this interview should have been edited before going to print. Love her though

34. ajao ayomide

November 7, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Toyin has demonstrated that a good wife is a gift from God. The likes of Mercy Aigbe an othets ar empty barrel dat majes the loudest noise. Thumb up 4 d unsung hero. Marital bliss 4eva

35. Mrs Viv Osigweh

November 8, 2014 at 5:19 am

I like this babe tho

36. abby

November 8, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Hahahahaaahah….some peeps’ comment tho

37. Debra

November 10, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hmmmm… Make i just pass sha

38. temitope

January 21, 2015 at 1:12 pm

toyin i lov you sha, this is so wonderful.

39. toyin

February 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Toyin is real and no faking unlike mercy aigbe , that woman brags too much about her designer stuff just to get peoples attention and some fans being crazy to be fooled by that….i love u toyin, as for u bunmi , u are so pathetic for telling her to sell her car for marriage , i wonder if thats what ur mother did.