News

You Can’t Ignore your Whatsapp Messages Anymore! App Update Reveals When they are Read

whatsapp blue

Are you one of those people who reads Whatsapp messages and pretends not to have seen them? Well today, say goodbye to your lying habits, as the app has been updated to enable people know when their messages have been read.

From today, the app will show two blue tick marks beside individual messages to show when they have been read, Daily Mail reports. Also, clicking on the message will let you see the precise time that the recipient opened and read it.

Prior to the new update, one grey tick meant the message had been sent; and two grey tick marks meant the message had been delivered.

However, with the new update, the double grey tick turns blue when the message has been sent, delivered, and read.

The app update is currently a hot topic on social media, especially in countries like Nigeria, where it is currently the 6th most trending topic on Twitter.

Twitter TrendingHere are some reactions to the update:

whatsapp5

Whatsapp4whatsapp6

WHATSAPP3WHATSAPP2WHATSAPP1

***

BellaNaijarians, how do you feel about the app update?

1. NAms

November 6, 2014 at 5:37 pm

llllooooooooollll people like me are now in TROUBLE we read and in our mind we are sure to have replied when actually we haven’t

2. bruno

November 6, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Hahahahahahahaha. BUSTED

3. Aibee

November 6, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I guess its time to delete Whatsapp seeing as its the one messaging app I don’t like. The fact that my tailor, hairdresser, annoying neighbour etc can send me messages, whether I want them to or not, simply because I’ve saved their numbers on the phone is so annoying. Plus those annoying people from church who send me 3 different devotionals everyday… God forgive me. I generally ignore the messages.

Dear Whatsapp, please develop a mute button so I can mute all those people. I only want to call and be called, not be bombarded with messages that have only a nuisance value.

• Bims

November 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Do your tailor and hairdresser are less human?? Get over yourself please, if you dont want someone to send you messages all you need to do is block them, like i did my MIL.

• Sisi Eko

November 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Madam she didnt mean those people she mentioned literally. She just meant every Tom , Dick and Harry that has your number will automatically be on your WhattApp. Its actually very annoying. I remember exchanging numbers with a trader in Balogun market so I can easily locate him for more wares. You can imagine my horror when the guy poped up on my WhatsApp and I am like seriously. So dear WhatsApp the evil of “last seen” is enough. .

• Thatgidigirl

November 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm

and in what way did she imply that her tailor and hairdresser are less human? She also mentioned “neighbour etc” seeing that your trouble maker eyes did not see that. You on the other hand need to get over yourself and show your husband’s mother some respect!

• Nino

November 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I got that boo! you blocked your MOTHER IN LAW…ah and you are hear talking tailor…girl you are deep

• Nino

November 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

here*

• xoxo

November 29, 2014 at 9:25 am

Oh please blocking someone is just too much. Unless he or she is so annoying although has been warned not to do so.

• unadite

November 6, 2014 at 6:26 pm

u can actually mute people if you want…….

• ck

November 6, 2014 at 11:19 pm

teach me, i beg u

• Bukola

November 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Aibee, it is so easy, I blocked such people.

• Hope this helps

November 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hi there, there is a mute option for groups and for individual chats, you could block them. Hope this helps.

• bafan

November 7, 2014 at 3:13 am

You can block such people.

• mr man

November 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

There’s already a mute conversation feature.

• kk3

November 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

My dear make use of the ‘block’ botton.

4. jessica

November 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I have always felt Whatsapp was an *alakoba* app..you could already figuure your message has been read by the *last seen* thingy. …Its good to see that when u click on the message u see when exactly it was read …oh dear…more hurt for side chicks lol 😀

• LotusFlower

November 6, 2014 at 6:31 pm

True you could. I recently discovered that you can now disable the “last seen” feature. I think it’s recent. I hope friendships won’t end over two blue ticks. Does it really matter? The person could be too busy to reply at that very moment.

5. Que

November 6, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I noticed this dis afternoon…wondering why…but it doesn’t affect my life jare….I shall carry on ignoring….

6. Ese

November 6, 2014 at 6:26 pm

These people can’t be serious…what is all this now?

7. i no send

November 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Damn..busted..lol

8. Shakala Maxie

November 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Wow I was wondering what those blue check marks meant lol.

9. Uh? Been there, done that!

November 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Umm.., hello! All this features that you mention have been available for a while. I have always had two blue tick marks when msgs are sent/read, had the block and disable “last seen” feature for over a year or so. I figured all this out by myself w/o any update notice so not sure what new feature you’re on to. Maybe I am just really advanced in the tech world… “wink, wink.”

10. Dee

November 6, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Mine have always bin showing two Blue ticks. Y is this news

11. teekay

November 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Chei this is so not good for me, I deliberately dnt rply this message. Now I ve more hater

12. miss chocolate

November 6, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Whatsappthis thing that you are bringing will ruin more friendships and relationships …no one likes to be ignored but the truth is we all do it smtimes ..sometimes u read msgs but your just not in the mood to chat or just very busy ..introverts like me who are not always mentally psyched for a convo are in trouble ooo …….but y is whatsapp sevn concerned abt pple knowing if msgs hv bn read or not? Isn’t the fact that the msgs hv bn sent enough? Thats y sms msging were so much more convenient excluding the extra cost, u just reply when u wnna, no extra wahala and features

Just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this feature doesn’t apply for those of us who hv blocked our last scene

13. benny

November 6, 2014 at 8:38 pm

There is a Goddddddddddddddddddd… person go hear am…

14. LILO

November 6, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I am probably the only one without whatsapp on any of my phones . It’s the ultimate stalker tool and It’s the most unbearable invasion of privacy till date. I felt naked and vulnerable when I had that useless application. I need to have a choice on who can contact me

15. Ada

November 6, 2014 at 8:56 pm

You do realize there is a “Block contact” option…right?

16. Just me

November 6, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I was just wondering to myself yesterday what the heck the blue check marks meant. Now I know, I’m in deep trouble because sometimes I just don’t feel some conversation requires a response. Oh well. ..still love my whatsapp

17. Toma

November 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Not news. I have always had the blue ticks.

18. lala

November 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm

i refused to update my app when whatsapp requested for me to do so. So, I wouldnt have t deal with the drama. I am sticking to my double grey which is working for me .

19. @edDREAMZ

November 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Nw we will start catching all this gals frm nw on….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

20. Nahum

November 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Choi! I am the queen of ignoring calls and msgs. Whatsapp is an alakoba o!!!!! No fair!

21. cleo

November 6, 2014 at 11:33 pm

For where. I bought my phone. I pay for my data. I downloaded the application by my self. Hence I choose who to talk to or chat with and when to do so. I am not one bit shaken. At least those who don’t know will now know that I am not interested in boring conversations. I owe nobody explanation for not replying their message.

22. ATL's finest

November 7, 2014 at 1:23 am

Lmao! This ain’t new tho. I have always know for 3yrs now but something, even if u haven’t read d message, as long as you are with your phone doing something ( depends) it will show the double lines.

23. Carliforniabawlar

November 7, 2014 at 5:34 am

Msssheww….Adon-kia-fada-hodi!!
    My stupidass whatsapp toaster thats always stressing can now get the message loud and clear!! The disrespectful goat would now come and be telling me…”I see you o” I replied (3days later) please see me very well, may the eyes you are using to see me not go blind…Amen….
    Quick PSA: Guys out there, No!! You don’t deserve a response if the only mode you employ in contacting me is whatsapp!! I will choose when I’ll reply, if it ka e lara, then please place a phone call….afterall whatsapp implies you have my number!
    We all know you are not serious about a chick you are casually whatsup’ing on whatsapp, don’t pour salt on the wound by expecting her to oblige your every whim….
    Rant over 😀 p.s. you can turn off the last seen functionality, my guess is you can probably turn the ‘read’ off as well….

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm

If only I could like your comment a 100 times…. I mean, I probably could but if only I could follow through with my intention of proving how much you’ve spoken my mind.

Whatsapp has become the lazy man’s option for toasting and it’s sad, really, to see a grown adult male stalking his love interest by checking out her “last seen” status. A regretable fall-out of the app…

As an unrelated aside, where’s the follow up post about how your appointment went (see my response to you on the multiple-partners-reduce-risk-of-prostrate-cancer-in-men post)? 🙂

24. MIA

November 7, 2014 at 7:23 am

I just deleted my whatsapp on my main phone. I cant deal lol. Whatsapp used to be my safe ignoring zone.. This is sad..

25. Makioba

November 7, 2014 at 7:43 am

Ooh yea I saw it yesterday and was wondering what it was for…. I had to open old messages to see and understand what it meant, but couldn’t get it still…..

26. Emma

November 7, 2014 at 8:51 am

Oh well!
    am just going to delete the app.
    De-activated the “last seen” thing.

27. Tosin

November 7, 2014 at 9:16 am

I’m the only one not on Whatsapp.
    Still trying to keep up with email. Then they add cell phones. And social networks. Nna, I need to sleep.

• nwanyi na aga aga

November 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm

No dear, myself and a lot of my friends are not on the platform either. Imagine my shock when I understood how the apps worked.. All the people i had on my phone will become my contacts? Looool! i jejel passed, People keep putting up the surprised face when I say I am not on whatsapp. But dear I dont care o Biko. How do I start explaining to my boss that I read his message and felt like not replying..Looool!

28. Ms_Oyinkansola

November 7, 2014 at 9:30 am

its not fair! ‘last seen’ feauture is wicked enough naa. I was so happy when som1 showed me how to remove that last seen ish, to now have to go thru this!! was always formin “i diddnt read/i didnt see” chai, see casting oo. I agree that the owner must be an overpossessive lover!

29. nonye

November 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

It really is simple there’s no app without privacy settings. All your complaints have solutions so discover it. You have your right to choose whom to, when to & when not to chat just don’t feel bad when same happens to you

30. ify

November 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

lol….this is an answered prayer from God cos i v been battling with telling lies on whether or not i saw or read a message.its definitely going to keep me on check..Heaven is now my lot..odikwa nma.

31. Grayce

November 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I actually really like this new feature…when u are ignoring some people and their foolishness, they don’t get the memo…I’m glad that now some will get to see that I am intentionally not replying them…and then those I don’t reply on time will realize that I have not read it yet

32. Someone

November 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Try Kingschat app.

33. Ijebu Boy

November 11, 2014 at 6:00 am

lmao… i was wondering what that was. lol

34. Cukitta

November 12, 2014 at 2:37 am

What ooo means in ghe read line