Features

AnuOluwapo Adelakun: Getting Assaulted On The Streets of Lagos

Lagos means different things to different people. Crazy, lively, stressful and forward – some of the words I use to describe Lagos. As an adventurous person, I have traveled to quite a number of other Nigerian States and even though I sometimes find myself in some sane and tranquil communities, I always miss the madness of the never sleeping Lagos.
One thing, however, I do not miss about Lagos is the constant harassment and assault on its streets. I had wanted to save this piece for another time but recent events have maddened my pen to point of harassing my notepad.

My grandmother always says that “it is where you store salt that it remains even if it turns into water” meaning do not put your self in situations that could put you in trouble, be at the right place at the right time and do not overstep boundaries. Honestly, over the years this hasn’t worked for me in Lagos because it is where you put the salt the cockroach  will come and harass it.

As a little girl, I loved following my aunties to the market because of the idea of having the opportunity to window shop and get free stuff from them. One thing that used to, and still puts me off is the yanking, grabbing and dragging by our Industrious Ibo brothers, the forex trade Hausa guys and recently some “Aunty come and make your hair” girls. They grab your arm like they have a right to, and pull you. Some caress the hand or brush against you in a suggestive manner and if you ever protest against them they hurl curses at you or even beat you up (I have witnessed such a scene at Yaba market before). Women are victims of this 99% of the time.

As I grew older, I decided that if they weren’t ready to stop assaulting me I needed to find a way to make them flee from me. The last straw that broke the camels back was when at the market one day, I protested against one of the guys who pushed me onto the main road such that I was nearly hit by a car simply because I told him not to touch me with his filthy hands. One of my slippers came off and he picked it up and threw it into the middle of the market and ran away shouting “God punish your mama”.  It was an eye opener for me o. Ever since then I started going to market with a WEAPON. The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence and the violent taketh it by force. I now carry safety pins to the market so when any of them grabs my arm, I prick them. I have since enjoyed an 80% assault free shopping experience and I always throw the pins away at the end of each visit for fear of contracting HIV/AIDS. (DISCLAIMER: If you try it and get beat up you are on your own o!)

Another instance and the most annoying one is being sexually assaulted by merely walking on the streets. I remember one incident that happened when I was 13. I was trying to cross over to the other side of the road to buy roasted plantain a.k.a Boli when suddenly a man riding on a motorcycle grabbed my breasts and sped off. I was so mad. I cried till my tear glands went empty because I didn’t even see his face or get the number on his number plate so even if I reported, no one could arrest some one they couldn’t identify. Also, a friend once told me how that a lunatic on the loose grabbed her breasts on a major road in Lagos. Well, that one is on another level. Lol. But some seemingly sane guys just tap women on their buttocks on the streets of Lagos and run away. it is a very annoying experience trust me and something needs to be done fundamentally.

The last experience I want to narrate is the reason I’m writing this post at this time. So, yesterday I was in a very busy part of Lagos walking in some direction to sort some official business when some meters ahead of me I saw this guy who pushed a young lady in front of a moving vehicle. She fell hard and was shouting “catch him, catch him!” . Then the guy ran towards me, gave me a punch in my neck, gave the lady behind me a knock on her head, slapped another lady and on and on. He just kept running and assaulting any woman in sight. Some of the women started running after him. I don’t know if they caught up with him but I went ahead to help the first victim as she was seriously bruised. She didn’t know him from Adam just like me. I prayed in tongues for a few minutes as I walked the lady to stability just to make sure it wasn’t someone trying to turn people into money for Christmas spending. People around the scene were just minding their businesses, it was a shocking realistic picture. What can we do about this madness?

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime |  Scott Griessel

AnuOluwapo Adelakun is a Women & Girls rights advocate, Journalist and Documentary Filmmaker working on issues affecting marginalized girls and women in Nigeria. She's a UNICEF Voices of Youth alumni, Carrington Youth Fellow of the US Consulate in Nigeria, US Consul General Award Recipient, UN WOMEN/Empower Women Global Champion for Change and UK Chevening Alumna. She's also an ardent reader of African literature and an unrepentant fan of the BBC series 'Call the Midwife'.

1. memiee

December 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm

smiles…… I love the writer already!

2. D

December 9, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I have told my hubby this is the reason I want to learn how to be all Texan (yes carry and shoot a weapon) it’s because of situations like this. Can you imagine a grown man pulling out his belt on another man/woman because he is bigger??? If you had a gun at the market do you think that guy would have even bothered coming close to you to even make a grab at your slippers???once he sees the gun, he would have walked away quietly… and the one knocking and punching people. Do you think if he anyone had pulled a gun out (even a fake one) he would have kept going??? So yes that’s the only reason I want to learn how to carry a weapon and use it if need be. Don’t let us get into the robbers too. Actually for the Ibo brothers I just strong face and they ask why sister???…don’t sister me nothing. I have only been harassed by women…one saw me while I was with my hubby, pulled me aside and said I should dress responsibly, that the guy I am with will not marry me but was just with me for what he could get, I was too shocked to react, as in a total stranger. because I wore a mini skirt, (no ass out or anything just a nice looking mini skirt) my hubby just pulled me and gave her some tongue lashing and yes we were married but she never bothered looking at my finger(Righteous lots). The other one told me I was going to hell for my top (by the way no cleavage was on show) just not born again round neck for her so I was hell bound (this was while I was just walk jejely on the streets of Lagos). My siblings always asking why that never happens to them but na me dey waka pass anytime we are visiting Lagos, so na me dey get story.

• FRANK

December 9, 2014 at 5:17 pm

This is why I’m more American/Texan than Nigerian. This is why i love America more than Nigeria. Cos we don’t stand for sht like this. We shoot before asking questions. That’s why we respect everyone’s opinion, space and privacy. I told my wife it’s gon be hard for me to live in Nigeria. From the police harassment, Agbero harassment and politician harassment, “BIG” man harassment and all these other shit i read about Nigeria i swear to God i might end up shooting some punk one day. This is why i taught my wife how to handle a gun cos you never know. And yes I am a TEXAN. I love my trucks and guns

3. bruno

December 9, 2014 at 2:17 pm

immediately you mentioned tribe, I stopped reading.

in this very ethnic sensitive society we live in,

pls explained to us what

“over industrious Ibo brothers, the forex trade
    Hausa guys” what kind of back hand insult is that.
    this article made it look like ibo boys are responsible for sexual assualts in markets.

“over industrious” really, u could have just said ibo people are money hungry and ibo people love money too much.

all these unnecessary stereotypes of nigerian people from different ethnicity is so stupid.

yoruba people are dirty

ibo people love money

hausa people are lazy or are murders.

I have friends from all these tribes and they are nothing like these stereotypes.

pls just stop it.

note: my father is from a different tribe and my mother is from a different tribe.

• lindo

December 9, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Yes bruno..we have more Ibo boys in Lagos markets, everyone knows that they are good with that attitude..it is no news..infact they taught the Huasas that senseless agression. So pls why are you taking it personal..mtchewww

• Que

December 9, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Bruno, don’t take it personal….. if you know the ins and out of the yaba market, you would realise she was spot on…..its not a stereotype matter…its a reality. Had she made a generalisation assuming that EVERY market had the same distribution, then yes I would agree with you, but you try go to yaba 7 days a week for 3months and 70%, or more, of the arm-grabbing/road-side-chasing hustlers are igbo brothers, 80’% of d forex traders are our northern brothers and for the women making hair I am not sure. Its so expected that I often start speaking igbo when I am transacting there, and only a handful of times have I been corrected…and I am there almost weekly or even more times a week. These are traders that import from Onitsha and Aba, its not surprising there’s a huge igbo population there. Even my yoruba supplier now speaks small small igbo.

As for the other stereotypes, I cant even be bothered…..I love money and I cannot lie, if you dont love it, then as Peter Okoye said make money depart from you. Cos you want to claim that the daily 3rd mainland rush hour traffic/gridlock is solely for the sake of passion for our banking and administrative jobs! Well done!

• Brownsuga

December 10, 2014 at 10:29 am

@ Bruno,
      this has nothing to do with tribe but exactly what happens, have you been to Tejuoso market before, our ibo brothers sell blind,clothes,makeup and what ever else and they WILL pull you from every direction to get your attention.
      The Hausas are the fx dealers and they have joined in this ridiculous act, totally annoying and irritating thing. Alot of Yorubas don’t do it maybe because they they are parking your cars or just plain agberos, I can’t tell but bro this is exactly what happens at Tejuoso market and if you don’t believe follow your sister/girlfriend/wife to Tejuoso market and follow @ distance and see what happens.
      I hate going to Tejuoso market solely for this reason.

• BAM

December 10, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I HAVE BEEN SCHEMED FOR MONEY FROM SOMEONE I MET ON FACEBOOK WHO SAYS THEY ARE WORKING IN LAGOS ON A MALL? SAYS HE IS ORIGINALLY FROM ENGLAND AND MOVED TO U.S. HE USED A “FRIEND” TO TAKE TRANSACTIONS OF MONEY FROM ME HIS NAME WAS TUNMI EDWARD, SAID HE WAS HOTEL MANAGER AT THE BATON ROUGE HOTEL THERE?? IT WAS A 4MONTH OF CONVERSATIONS AND INVOLVEMENT. NOW NO CONTACT. I AM PISSED. I GUESS THIS STUFF HAPPENS ALL THE TIME..

• Real Naija

December 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

DO you live in LAGOS?
      She is right, forget the fact that she only stated the obvious, and Lemme speak on her behalf, she did not mean it in a tribalistic way. but Yaba is filled with Ibo boys, and Ikeja and Yaba are filled with Hausa guys trying to change money…

“Aunty u wan chenge dollars? DOllars, pounds?!”

4. lindo

December 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm

The hilarious part is that people ran after the guy..i bet the guy is crazy, one of the odd ways to steal i guess. Honestly, Yaba is the worse in Lagos Nigeria, the government need to do something about the Yaba boyz, they pull u….u complain..u get insulted. It is really sad.

5. Personal Assistant

December 9, 2014 at 2:28 pm

One fine sunday afternoon, after getting dressed, I wore this lovely zara slippers but the sole of the heel had come off and it was making that weird noise but I no send. On my way home on top okada, we dey traffic light dey wait, as the light turned green one okada man touched my boobs. This man don price market and he must buy. I told my okada man to chase him. As we reach another traffic light, I comot slippers and with that nail i give am 3 times for head. Still not satisfied I threw the slippers at him, People gather, them say we dey go Area F around Ogba, I agreed, The man with his head dripping with blood entered his okada and zoomed away. See me searching for my slippers, For where. Na so I carry one leg of shoe enter house. Was I satisfied? Yes and No. I wanted more blood. I didnt see as much blood as I wanted. When next he sees bobby….He will think with his brains and not with his penis.
    Those “aunty you wan make your hair” ladies in Yaba will see water dripping from your newly-made braids and will still ask the same question. SMH

• Neo

December 9, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Hahahaha! This totally made my day. I love your spirit. So true about those Yaba ladies, you wikk be feeling fly with your fresh braids and they will be wringing hand at you, “Aunty u wan loose ya hair?” You will now start wondering, abi the hair no fine?

• Que

December 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Lmao @ abi the hair no fine ni….. and @PA killed me wit laugh at ‘…Was I satisfied? Yes and No. I wanted more blood….’
      Crazy world we live in!

6. Anuoluwapo Adelakun

December 9, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hello Bruno, the article reads “our industrious ibo brothers” not “over industrious” Thank you!

• TANTRA

December 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

The curious case of wanting to comment without first digesting and reading in between the lines of the article. Some people see something they feel they see, and fiam, they scream EUREKA, down to the comment section. Scientists are working on this behavioural pattern.

• bruno

December 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm

@anuoluwapo, people seem to agree with you so……. whatever.

but next time dont single out two tribes you dislike and start slandering and bashing them and promoting stereotypes amongst those tribes.

if white people called you an angry black woman, I dont think you will be smiling or u will find it funjy even tho most angry women in america are black. good day

• Ib

December 10, 2014 at 7:50 am

Sore Loser!

• Taiwo

December 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Kai Bruno na wah for u!!

7. reachgbemmy

December 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

just today i left my office to buy lunch down the read and i funny looking guy coming towards me just spat at me cursing “ur papa,God purnish you” and kept walking away and people just kept looking and said nothing. I was so angry and wondered this guy could have done worse maybe a hot slap just bcos he feels like. This country is full of babaric psychos!!just the other day i was jogging in my estate and a guy driving Keke napep slapped my bom and drove off.Women really go through a lot walahi!!!

8. Fre

December 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Gosh! Like I’m so angry reading this. The memories. Enough is enough! It has to be a punishable crime.
    My sister has witnessed a girl standing on the road, also around Yaba area, waiting to cross, then this conductor was holding a cane (probably intended for use on his fellow agberos) and he hit her across her chest/breast with it. My sis said she felt the pain. And the helplessness of it all is upsetting as the vehicle sped off as they usually do.
    Another time while in secondary school, I went shopping at Tejuosho market with my mum and this people kept pulling me. The pulling distracted me once when we about leaving and I hit my head against the opened boot of a bus/danfo. In that pain and annoyance I walked into another arm grabbing/caressing trader and I scratched him with my nails after which he started insulting my mum and I, calling us witches.
    Recently, I passes through Ojuelegba on a Sunday morning, was turning left and right before crossing and heard the most disgusting voice go “bebe, I like your baby food” while staring at my breasts. What insult! And I was practically in a turtle neck top before people start saying it’s as a result of the way we dress.
    It has now become a norm and will only get worse if we do not do something about it ASAP.
    For example, I scratched and injured the guy when I was in Secondary and I’ve been done with NYSC for 4yrs now, that’s how long ago it was, but it’s still happening and sadly getting worse.
    The writer had to resort to using pins. What if they retaliate and start carrying pins (or worse) too. With HIV and other diseases to worry about. We need to find a sustainable solution.
    Instead of our senate to pass bills on such issues, they are worried about almost irrelevant matters.
    I say pass a law and make it a punishable offence. Hopefully our law enforcement personnels will cooperate and make it work

9. gurl_wendy

December 9, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I’ve taken to wearing long sleeves if I have to go to Yaba, hate random people touching me with dirty grimy sweaty hands, @ Bruno it wasn’t even about tribe, if you go to these places especially yaba you will know it’s mainly populated by Igbo traders who overzealously harass you in a bid to show you their wares. ” Aunty, you wan see pants trousers?”, says a trader while grabbing you and insulting you if you decline. I hate Yaba market mehn, too many bad experiences, I try to avoid going there, even remember when we whr students in Q.C, and traders used to harass us in the market. *shiver*, #neveragain.

10. Ada Nnewi

December 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm

That was how one idiot in the market the other day yanked at my braids cause i moved away to avoid him touching me. The slaps i gave him the market women started begging on his behalf…#animal#…another time is was a mentally deranged man in marina that on top my running away from him still stepped on me…in fact marched on me with his heavy leather/rubber shoes that almost peeled my skin, men around started to chase him away, the only thing that kept me from beating him up was the fact that he looked like he could drop dead easily and i wasn’t going to be the person to help him on his suicide mission… please carry something to defend yourself especially in balogun market,in fact in Lagos generally a big umbrella is a perfect weapon and you can never go wrong with portable pepper spray (the key holder size)…

11. deedee

December 9, 2014 at 4:23 pm

One word… PEPPER SPRAY those suckers!!!!!!!!! Or get a stunt gun.. these things are very portable and can be attached to your key chain or in your back pocket…

12. Ada Nnewi

December 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Dear Bruno, I am an igbo girl but my igbo brothers take the piss in the market.. all the men that have harrased me in the market have been of Eastern origin…

13. Ada Nnewi

December 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm

*harrassed

14. Dee

December 9, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I have nothing against ibo people, but truth be told, most times they are the culprits. Have you been to Yaba market before? If you have, you would know this isn’t a tribal slur but a fact.

15. scarlet

December 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

You are so on point! Yaba and Balogun market are top of the list, but carrying a straight/angry face can make them come a bit easy on you for fear of what to expect after the act. lool! but those yaba boys no dey look face o! i always dread my visits to yaba basically because your arm will never remain the same from the dragging, and you totally need a proper bath/wash down afterwards. but in all i still visit these market as often as i need to, those tejuosho materials are the ish mehn! NOTING CAN STOP ME O

16. Jagbajantis

December 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Area boys are the worst.
    Circa 2008, my aunt came down from Abuja to Lagos because she wanted to buy a used car. I and my dad decided to take her to Berger in Apapa, to guide her in making the right choice and to get a bargain. We decided to use a car hire, and then drive the new car back to the house

We got to Berger, and were astounded. Cars of every size, shape and model lined for blocks. My aunt became as overwhelmed as a cow in a field. The traders there, some of the most tenacious salesmen in the world, did not make her task of making a choice easier. To me, it is easy – when in doubt, choose a Honda, if you cannot afford a Mercedes. I love Hondas…

There was also the matter of price – Japanese cars are overpriced in Naija, and my aunt wanted one. She was also on a budget, and had her husband and kids calling her phone every other minute for a progress report. Her teen son wanted an SUV, so he could paint Abuja red and pick up as many ‘drive-bys’ as possible. Her husband wanted the new Passat – he should have gone to steal.

My aunt had to settle for a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE (popularly known as ‘Big –for-nothing). It was bogus model with leather seats, a sun-roof, alloy wheels, and AC that could turn pure water into condensed ice cream in an instant. I hated it though. That particular model, not because of bad bele. Thank you.

We paid for it and looked at our watches – it was well past 6pm. We had to drive to Lekki, and it was around the after-work rush hour. There goes my Champions League match. We told the driver of the car hire to drive in front of us, while I would drive the brand new car. The traders there advised us to put the hazard lights on, and drive with speed like we were escorting a CBN bullion van. Why do the drivers of brand new cars without license plates drive like crazed banshees with their hazard lights blinking furiously and horns blaring. Armed robbers could still rob you regardless. By the way, don’t the hazard lights and loud horns draw attention to you instead?

Trust the car salesmen at Berger – the tank of the car was on empty. By the time we navigated through Apapa traffic, the car was on reserve. We could have stopped at a couple of filling stations, but we decided to soldier on because it was getting late, and traffic was moving very slow. We also wanted to get to the Island first, because the car was unlicensed and anything could pop off anytime. By the way, why is it that people who live on the Island, believe that once they get to anywhere on the Island, all will be fine. If they are stranded, they believe that all they have to do is find a way to cross 3rd Mainland or Eko Bridges and that all will be well after then.

We were cruising just fine; in fact I was beginning to tune into the local radio stations to test the sound system, when the car suddenly lost thrust power. Oh shucks! I looked at the fuel gauge and saw that the needle had dropped to way below empty. Gas had finished, and worse than that, we were at the end of Marina, just before Falomo bridge.

My dad woke up from his slumber; my aunt started shedding tears. I managed to navigate the car so that we could go as far as possible and use the momentum to park well on the side of the road.

It was now past 8pm and we were a few meters short of Army Officer’s Mess (a popular wedding reception venue in Lagos). I told my aunt and my dad to get down from the car and stand on curb, and I plucked a plant and pulled out the car spare tire from the boot and placed them some meters behind the car to warn on-coming traffic. My dad placed a call to the car-hire driver who had gone way before us, and told him that we had run out of gas. He was also instructed to go to Mobil Station on Ahmadu Bello Way, and buy us a gallon of fuel, and use an okada to bring it to us asap.

I looked up across the road, and saw about 5 red lights glowing from under Falomo Bridge. They looked like infra-red dots. I looked closely and noticed that 4 of the red lights were 2 pairs of eyes, and the last light was…..I could smell it – Indo spliff. Two area boys were smoking weed under the bridge, and one of them had spotted us, and was pointing us out to the other one. I then watched, as the other one ran off to call ‘back-up’ while the pointer readied himself to come across. Ah, the bad Samaritans again.

It was not looking good. If a posse of area boys came to jam a lad, an elderly man and a middle aged woman in a poorly lit road by a major bridge, by a stranded unlicensed car, that was a recipe for disaster.

I decided to think fast. Feeling like a Hollywood (or sorry, Nollywood) movie hero, I barked orders to my dad and aunt: ‘Follow me, if you want to live.’ We jogged and half ran to the Army Officer’s Mess. I went to the front room where I saw a lieutenant eating roasted corn, and introduced myself. I told him about our present situation, and asked for ‘logistic support’ until the gallon of fuel came.

The army man screamed ‘What!? No problem sir, let me call my colleague’. He fetched his colleague, a smartly dressed officer, and they both cocked their automatic rifles and walked with us to the car.

I looked across the bridge and saw the area boys there sitting on the bench – about 5 of them. If only looks could kill. They looked like lions which had just had their prey collected from them. I stuck out my tongue triumphantly at the one who had done the pointer. What, I got army guns.

The car-hire driver arrived with the gallon of fuel shortly, and we refilled the car, and it started. We thanked the army chappies, and I drove off quickly. You see, area boys don’t always win.

• Mama Ethan

December 9, 2014 at 6:35 pm

You are a good storyteller, I felt like I was under that bridge with you.

• chibaba

December 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm

chineke! this one na BN prose o
      see long tory..

• Loma

December 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm

This is either Esco or you stole the story from him…seems I’ve read this before

• spicy

December 10, 2014 at 8:56 am

I was spellbound throughout this story, almost didn’t want it to finish sef. Well done!

• tutu

December 10, 2014 at 9:43 am

This is a post in itself. I usually don’t read comments this long. That was a very smart move you made, your Dad must have been so proud.

• Jo!

December 10, 2014 at 10:06 am

You were careless though, what would it cost you to stop and buy fuel for 5 minutes?

17. yetty

December 9, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Even those masquerades that parade with long canes are not left out.

18. omoibo

December 9, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I’ve always said it and say it again that everyone is naija always seems so wound tight due to the high stress levels faced daily. Whenever I’m in Lagos I just get edgy due to the stress, you can feel and see it on people’s faces

19. lola carey

December 9, 2014 at 8:44 pm

@ scarlet..i so enjoyed ur narration..my pulse was even beating wen u got to the part of d touts pointing at you guys..lol

20. lola carey

December 9, 2014 at 8:45 pm

sori i meant @ jagbajantis.

21. el patron

December 9, 2014 at 9:16 pm

women should try and arm themselves with pepper spray or some kind of weapon. .its scary out there.

22. SAP lady

December 10, 2014 at 2:07 am

A long time ago, I was walking along the motor park at the old Tejuosho market. As usual, I was always alert for the touchy tochy people. I saw this guy practically digging his nose and walking towards me to touch my arm, If you see the way I shouted and insulted the guy, he was shocked and ran away instead. still makes me laugh till today

23. benny

December 10, 2014 at 7:49 am

I frigging hate lagos. I hate hate hate lagos. Naaaaaaa… Abuja it is… I can’t shout.

24. Marilyn

December 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

You write so well!

25. Peggy

December 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

This is Hilarious!!! makes me remember my Uncle’s escapade at Yaba Market, He once gave a guy a heavy knock on the head for pulling his wife by the arm. LMAO!!!

26. joy

December 10, 2014 at 8:58 am

All correct, I can remember vividly last month in eko market a guy saw me and said come buy ur shirt here and I told him guy am not here to buy cloths, the nxt tin he said was see u I dey call u to come buy cloths u dey tell me say u no won buy, wetin u dey fyn for market self u no no say u suppose dey stadium dey do exercise make that ur Belle reduce lol. I did not boda answering him bcuz I knw if I do dat might lead to somtin else, so I just had to let him keep on blabbing. Anyway I like lag sha evn if I don’t lve dere. As for me I dn’t think anytin can be done about dat bcuz dey re everywhere in lag, yaba, oshodi, eko, evn surulere so I tink dat is lag for Evryone.

27. lola

December 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

I remember walking on home one day from gce lessons when I felt a sharp pain on my bum, before my brain communicated that some idiot on okada just slapped my bum on high speed it was so painful, I cursed the guy for the rest of the week. I remember another incident in yaba, in my bid to avoid the pushing and pulling I bent down, that’s how some idiot pulled my bra from the back and gave me abara. I was so pissed. I have so many unpleasant stories about yaba.

28. T.girl

December 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

@Benny…I’ve never been to lagos before and I don’t plan to anytime soon but I tell u, Abuja is no better, the calling nd assault etc in the market is same just that lagos is worst according to what ive heard.. when u get to wuse market, that’s exactly wat those ibo boys nd malams do, they drag u nd sometims put their hands on ur neck nd it is very very annoying.

29. Glowing Sapphire

December 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Nicely written Anu. Their attitude *SMH* annoying. From Yaba to Super and Eko, infact every major market in Lagos, gosh! ‘Lepa’ come now, this one go size you,*licking lips and dragging your arms along*…I have been a victim countless times. “I wan marry you…” chai! For where? “Sister, come buy Curtain, I go sew am well, well…” Even when you look dressed up and on your way somewhere*yimu*, with a straight face, lies you tell, they’ll try to get you to make purchases. Their hussle is real.
    Oh guys…I remember one ordeal, lol. A while before trying to board an inter state bus with a friend. It’s not just at the Market o. That very day, we were sliding our boxes across the road to get to the first departing bus, when the very touts came were dragging my friend’s bag so as to enable her follow their shuttle, but we had an alternative in mind. She struggled and we were screaming but apparently, her voice with an intonation was heard more cos she was annoyingly yelling “let go…let go!!!”…the ‘easterners’ were upset as well, so they “let go” lol. Another case was when I was in my amateur varsity year, going back after the holidays to catch a morning bus when a park tout swung from nowhere about past 5am with my luggage and ran across the road to put it in another vehicle at Ojota. I almost cried but thank God for my super brother. He saved the Morning. Since then I watch my back…lol

30. doris

December 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm

i luv this.i usually avoid their touch(ninja style) wen it cant be avoided,i use my nails.i draw blood smtimes.its so annoying been harrased in d market.anu you on point jare

31. afButterfly

December 11, 2014 at 9:55 am

The last time I went to Yaba market, I was with my cousin. Some agbero was harassing us verbally and we ignored him. It was when he moved to touch my cousin and she yelled at him that problem wanted to start. Man got violent, threatening to beat us up. He was so scary that some fellow agberos had to step in and ask him to back off. It’s crazy. Also, I’m Igbo & it’s the Igbo boys that do all the dragging and pulling in the market. It’s very invasive. They need to stop.

32. Noms

December 11, 2014 at 10:29 am

@PA,. . .I have tears rolling from my eyes from laughter.
    This happens in major markets like most people have commented. Apart from the dragging and pulling, they start calling you “my colour” na so I go dey look myself and the person colour. Then Balogun market, Aunty come buy “baby tins” I nor wear ring, no big belle, na big hips I get ooo.
    The harassment is really crazy and not limited to Lag, even in Warri I have had a man touch my breast with straight face weda na mad man sef I nor know.
    Something really needs to be done.
    The other day I wanted to get pepper spray from an online shop and it was sold out, people dey vex sha. I;m still trying my luck to get cos one really needs some sort of protection because even police go dey there and nothing go happen.

33. George

December 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm

B4 the shoot em up bang bang Texan style that has gotten Ferguson in a state of shambles. let’s focus on what we know that is more important, the mind. Creating awareness. Frequent readers of this site r not the ones committing these act. We can push for legislatures to enforce order in Tejusho area (Yaba) with organization like KAI, people will keep their hands to themselves. Can’t control their mouth right now but its more like 50% solution. Way forward. Anu thanks for this piece. On point.

34. Anuoluwapo Adelakun

December 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I have had a swell time reading all your comments and suggestions. Thank you all for your kind contributions. I have decided to start a petition on this matter once the elections are over and we know who our lawmakers are for the next four years. Together, we shall make our voices heard simply because we refuse to live in a society where we get harrassed every now and then. People should learn to respect each others rights. I believe we will achieve something with this. While we wait, please vote for deserving candidates that will listen to our plea not lawmakers that will sweep this issue aside as being irrelevant. If your breasts have ever been grabbed or your bum “tapped” by people you do not know from adam then you will understand the humiliation and anger one feels at such instances.

35. Bjspesh

December 12, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Nice article Anuoluwaplenty. For me the sad part is that nobody tries to help the victims of these assaults. Recognising the barbarous behaviour as such is the first step towards finding a solution.

36. Barbie

March 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I will never forget my own ordeal, the day my sis and i went to Yaba market to get stuff. My sister saw a shoe she liked and she decided to test it then i noticed that the other pair of shoe has some scratches around it, i called my sisters attention to it and she changed her mind immediately. Before I knew it i felt a big knock on my head, the crazy yaba boy hit the hill of the shoe on my head. OMG!! it was like I was going to run mad. The next thing some of them said that what good for me, shaybi na you no allow am buy the shoe… I cried my eyes out that day…. Another lesson learnt please do not prize yaba boys stuff if you are not ready to buy or else you dey look for trouble… D kind of insult you will get eehn!!