Features

Isio Knows Better: Awakening & Acceptance

Awakening & Acceptance: These two words pretty much summed up what this year was for me.

I vaguely remember the first day of this year, but I do remember being on the phone with one of my best friends Katia and looking out the window as I told her my grand plan for 2014. I was going to incorporate a Waffi parable that Mother had said to me. It was simple… anywhere wey cloth wan tear, make e tear. What this meant was that it is not every patch-patch in your wrapper you must use your hand to hide – life gives wear and tear to any wrapper. Attempting to hide every tear in every spot meant that you cannot even concentrate on moving. Sometimes you just gatz to let it go, and slay the hell out of that patch-patch wrapper as is. All na design.

Of course.

2014 was also a pivotal year for me, as the first year of my thirties. I had previously decided that dire lessons learnt from past mistakes would not repeat themselves. I became more aware. And my awareness whispered to me the simple secret to my budding Awakening.

Don’t wait. Don’t wait to go/come. Don’t wait to hear, to see, to feel or do something. Don’t wait to love, don’t wait to be loved. And most importantly, don’t waste your life trying to figure someone or something out. Make no excuses. See things for what they are, not what you would like them to be. It is what it is, until it is not…then it is something else.

And then I lost my father after a four-year struggle with Parkinson’s, and things got intense, and blurry. The cocktail of emotions I felt cannot be described with words. Looking back now, I am aware that I lived through those moments but can’t seem to connect to many of those memories. All of a sudden it was September and I realized that I had managed a slew of activities and even flourished in some of those moments. I had changed apartments, danced, ran, worked, failed, succeeded, sang, cried, travelled, travelled some more, laughed, networked and cooked a lot. All on auto-pilot. That was the colour of my grief.

Still, no regrets. There was still time. I dedicated myself to feeling every moment.

Naturally, I turned my attention towards the affairs of my company IDDS. It was doing well enough in spite of the Months of the Great Blur. Not great, but well enough. In great concern, I sought out three of my mentors in the design industry who told me to keep the faith. Apparently IDDS wasn’t doing badly for an 18 month old Design Service firm.  Auto-pilot Me had designed and designed and kept on creating, unhindered by lost pitches. I am glad for that, because the tide turned so suddenly that when the jobs came, it didn’t just rain – it poured.

In 2014, something that looked like love kept finding me. It courted me, flanked me and came in different forms, nudging me to come a little closer… luring me into its false embrace. But I stayed back. I took a step back from the mist that guaranteed me a twisted version of what I wished for myself. It was a seductive offering that veiled its true gifts: the promise of a future of endurance and meaningless struggle. That was the opposite of that which I wished myself: the extraordinary, the meaningful, the sublime.

And then one day, I wept after turning away from yet another offering – I wept in a dark corner, I did. Not because I was fearful, or sad… but because I had chosen to apply that which I had learnt at greattttttttttt cost – that the bitterness of a wrong choice remains long after the sweetness of its seduction is forgotten.

That was the moment of my awakening. I was growing.

I felt joyful…content. I started to dance again. And sing… I sang a lot. Many around me didn’t understand why I was so happy. How dare she? She who had nothing? Shiorrrrrr!

But I did. I had everything… contentment was joy, joy brought peace, and peace of mind was everything.

In 2014, I made new friends and lost some old ones – some los’ me sef!.  It is life… things end so that others can begin. In 2014, my beloved 5 year Liberty Jeep Silver showed me pepper, better one, but still managed to serve me well in spite of it. In between shelling out some serious kudi to get her fixed, I began prophesying to Jehovah Jireh that I would have a new one before the end of the year. It is still two days until the end of the year, and I still confess the car of my dreams into my life. In fact, just so God does not confuse my order, (abeg Explorer no be Explorer o, sweet Jesus, dem get grade…) I drove to the Ford Centre and took a picture of the exact model and colour of the one I desire. Fear no gree me ask for price. My God is a rich God, no shaking.

In 2014 I also got frustrated with my natural hair. Three years I have been growing the blasted thing and have had to keep cutting it because it is giving me by force dada aka dreadlocks. And then once I asked my elder sister to help take out a weave and she kukuma helped me barber the whole sides from the roots. I wasn’t just angry, my eyeballs were HOT! No more fixing weaves for me henceforth. Le boo tells me my shaka-shaka woolly hair is beautiful (in spite of my glaring dragon-eyes and epic sulking), so therefore awon aye gatzz to take me like that ni yen mehhhn.

In summary, 2014 has been a profound mix. Everything thing was just as it should have been to lead me to this very moment… me, in my home, sitting on my favourite sofa, cradled in the love of the most precious ones to me and sipping my favourite chai tea after wacking two croissants. Well, PHCN no still bring light, and my neighbour’s gen dey do gbudu-gbudugbuuuuuuuuu like an unending bad metallic song. At least I have ears that can hear. I am aware enough to know that being able to hear the noise (however distracting it might be) is a blessing in itself, while accepting that that’s life in Las Gidi. Life is a treasure, and I am just honoured to be able to live it.

What two words best describe 2014 for you and what do you hope 2015 will be?

As for 2015, for me- it will be a Rebirth. Time to fly away from all those ashes.

Don’t be afraid to dust your tail, spread your wings and soar. And if we jam for road please know that I shall be giving you three Igbo kwenu back handshakes and screaming like a banshee when you see me cruising my brand new, white automobile AKA the one God is going to buy for me before the end of the year. *giving Heaven serious side-eyes*

See you at the top my lovelies. Magnificence awaits. xx

1. Nne Somebody

December 30, 2014 at 11:22 am

Isio baby (I dey find your trouble), I loved, loved reading this. May you always find such clarity in the face of difficult decisions, may you find joy that makes you giddy. Nobody who can express their thoughts as you do “has nothing”. Have an awesome 2015 and keep dancing. I have pulled out my own patch patch wrapper to join in the choreography

• TA

December 30, 2014 at 1:03 pm

@ Nne Somebody,Me too o. Pulling out my patch patch wrapper to dance sekem. Hahahaha 🙂 Nice article Isio.

2. jhennique

December 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

Isio, you are all fire!!! Bless!

3. Personal Assistant

December 30, 2014 at 11:38 am

2014- amazingly awesome.
    This year I did more of counting my blessings and forgetting my disappointments. I focused on thanking God instead of making requests. The second part of the year was spent in thanksgiving. I sat back and reflected on where God was at work in my life and it has been amazing. Even when I had to repeat my exams, my faithful car decided it will disgrace me after spending so much to celebrate her birthday I still chose not to complain.
    Few days to the end of my work contract He gave me another job in another multinational coy. I can’t complain jor.
    This is my last comment with the name Personal Assistant. I don change work.
    I also learned that not all open doors are meant to be entered and not all closed doors means disappointments.
    2015- Upward forward movement
    God I am not asking for too much, you know the car that your daughter needs.
    Then that farm that I am eyeing sha………..you understand abi?
    Wishing you all a wonderful 2015

• deb

December 30, 2014 at 12:39 pm

From personal assistant to Operations Manager. Congrats. I pray I find a lucrative job next year. BTW 2014 was good, I got married, changed my apartment, got pregnant for the 1st time ever, GOD is good. May the peace of GOD fill our hearts in 2015 amen!!!!!

• justcurious

December 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Are u the same personal assistant who commented about the rigors of the job sometime ago?
      I’m happy for you anyway, I pray my sis gets stepped up to another position too and I get a job, AMEN
      really got t say I’m happy again.

4. deni

December 30, 2014 at 11:57 am

I love you Isio. It was a joy to discover your column this year… I pray you find more fulfilment in 2015 with pleasant surprises along the way. Here’ s to a great 2015 for us all. Amen

5. SuperNova

December 30, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Isio definitely knows better. I’ll come back and read the comments.

6. Anonymous

December 30, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Trolling by .. ** ..

7. Grown Woman

December 30, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Nice piece Isio…2014 for me was a blessing year for most part n Ofcoz with some challenges..Im positive for 2015 and hoping to complete my three bedroom house Amen.Wishing all my BN family a happy and prosperous new year.

8. Beverly Asemota

December 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Isio,as usually,I enjoy yr comic write up.I hail u my sister.4 me o,am going 2 enjoy my 2015 2 d fullest.If love comes,fine.If it doesn’t I nor go kill myself. Compliment of d season 2 all.

9. Annie

December 30, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Nice Isio very nice, you sabi tell better story joor! 2014 isn’t/wasn’t the ‘bestest’ for me but is/ was a good year. I have high expectations, 2015 is gonna be a great year, growth and more growth will take place…..its gonna be a year of growth, increase ans immense progress for me by God’s special grace and mercy. wish you all a fabulous and a wow 2015!

10. Busarni

December 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Isio de le vega of life; you are intact, your head dey there. 2014 with its up and down, I am still grateful. A better 2015 for all my BN fam; haters and lovers alike. No time to reply silly people here. God with us all.

11. Africhic

December 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm

2014 just went by. I must confess it was due to me just seeking what I felt was missing and not focusing on what I had. 2015 will see me soaring with God’s help

12. yea

December 30, 2014 at 12:45 pm

2014: Exhilaration and blessings!

The first quarter of the year, i was sick and tired for the most part, my body was adjusting to some changes, work was tiring, i needed to make some decisions and it was a waiting period.

second quarter: i got a miracle, i got it when i was not even keen about it, i got another blessing i had been waiting on God for for more months, it felt sweet, i had recovered from the tiredness and sickness now.

third quarter: i received strength to endure till the end, completed a second degree that dragged for so long and i did that with great gusto. i had my beautiful princess and aww, that magical moment when i held her in my arms, i made friends, rested and got my body back.

fourth quarter: i received blessings, got my dream car miraculously and several blessings all around me.

2014; so long, 2015: welcome!

13. Vashti

December 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm

what an interesting read! The more you tell yourself the (bitter) truth, the better your life will be. 2014 was my year of PURIFICATION. It entails the total surrender of a former life and agreeing to a degree of change. Self awareness as regards to my relationship with work, friends and family. I NO LONGER tolerate certain behaviors or attitudes and if I end up with only 2 friends…So Be IT!. I am no longer a slave or Father Christmas. Feelings that were formerly concealed from awareness now come to the light of day. I had started with the physical purification I.e the inner and outer body. I failed to realise what I was putting into my body was affecting my health and the way I looked. I had to do a thorough research and do certain tests on what I was eating (and no I am not obese or anything I just enjoyed eating what I wanted to eat). Dairy, processed food, meat, soy had to be eliminated. I went natural not because i wanted to follow any trend/bandwagon followers, I just hated unhealthy hair (i dont care if its long/short). I also became more emotionally aware and I began to learn how to use/control my emotions and not just blurt out how I feel (even though that’s how I really feel). On the mental level I had to change my mind set i.e not conforming to attitudes and mindset dictated by the world or society. I wear what I want to wear, buy the car I want to buy even if I am still single, I don’t care to impress no more, there is no ring on my finger yet, but I am healthy and alive, its not the end of the world. Ultimately, to purify is to become whole as God intended souls to be, not to be limited by ideas one was taught as a child, nor by fears that are inherited, nor by personal misfortunes or traumatic events that have occurred in the past. Each soul has such events in their past, and they create limitations which can be removed as the process of purification continues.
    In the end, what each one becomes as they move through the process is what God intends – for each to be unique within all of Creation, yet joined with all others and able to love and serve God in purity and wholeness of heart.
    2015 is going to be full of surprises.

• RIFF RAFF

December 31, 2014 at 9:13 am

i love you

14. Banke

December 30, 2014 at 1:04 pm

2015 for me is my POSITIVITY. I am so determined to stay positive through out that year. To have peace within myself and to love others like no other. It’s as brief as that.

• Banke

December 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm

year of*

15. TA

December 30, 2014 at 1:07 pm

2 words that pretty much sum up my 2014? Maturity & Patience.

16. Queen Spicey

December 30, 2014 at 1:27 pm

My 2014 is in one word; Self-discovery. And I’m waiting for my car too o, baba God you know na Hyundai Elentra colour black, automatic, full option, 2013 or 2014 model. Amen

17. Greydays

December 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for a great caption about 2014. It’s been like that for me, making mistakes and learning everyday. I definitely know better now than ever. Know when to let go and know who to let in. I’m growing more to appreciate God most of all and eventually everything good will come.
    Have a fulfilling 2015, Isio.

18. oj

December 30, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I choose to count my blessings o. January 2014, I got a job, after searching for one year and four months. by the second quarter, I got a better one. Praise Jah with me.

19. sukie

December 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm

you write so well….this inspired me,btw u rock and im going to start stalking you

20. ada nnewi

December 30, 2014 at 1:53 pm

This year I flew so high and I crashed so low, there were deaths of loved one’s and births of loved ones. I gained a new understanding of myself and an increased desire to master self restraint and self discipline so as not to give myself up completely to vices that were only temporarily satisfying…I step into 2015 with a newer level of self awareness, a better understanding of human nature and the desire and drive to do better and be better…

21. maryrie

December 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Isio!!! I love you scarra!! 2014 was my year not waiting but living and by Gods grace in 2015 i’ll soar.
    I have enjoyed all your posts for 2014… Looking forward to a richer and blessed 2015 for us all.

22. BarnyG

December 30, 2014 at 1:59 pm

My Aunty Isio wanogho , thanks for another beautiful piece… So , My 2014 was kinda nt so good buh I’m thankful to God that I’m alive and I’m going to see the new year.. So january, I resumed school after Asuu’s Strike..by february I was through with 200l… Late march I resumed school for 300l..April I had a near death experience, I was involved in an accident with a couple of my friends and I was the only one injured. Had a deep cut in my thighs close to my d*** and I broke my knee cap. Buh I thank God I recovered pretty well …A couple of other stuff also happened jaare..buh I wouldn’t want to bore you.. And right now December I’m in my final year … Resuming fully in january … I thank God for keeping my family and friends alive.. I know 2015 would be my best year ever *optimistic tho*… Have a nice day.. Happy new year !!!

23. NotLOL

December 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm

2015 will be my year of ‘Laughing now’ ‘Laughing hard’! That story from the bible popped into my head, the land owner and grains or money. I guess it’s all about being the best with what you are giving. I kept dreaming of other things, not committing to what I had and thus not moving forward, or growing! Stagnating in dreamland, haa….2015 realisation,appreciation,activation, capped by excellence. No more mediocrity, and most of all listening to my God’s word. Never led me astray, pray I open my heart to listen more and listen clearly! Happy 2015 and May it just be the politicians and not the masses that bear the brunt of their struggle for vanity!

24. Neo

December 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm

2014: Revelations and Growth.

Its amazing how i started the year with so much fear and tears and how its ending with laughter and endless hope. I just have a great feeling about 2015. I will come back and tell you all how awesome it was this time next year.

25. me1_2u

December 30, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Who wouldn’t love this lady for all her inspirational writings? My lady, you rock. Happy/wishing you best of the season.

26. Vanny

December 30, 2014 at 3:27 pm

2014 was amazing! I started out single, then met someone, then got my heart broken, and then met the man who might just be The One (if God wills). 🙂
    I bought a house, paid of my car, and became debt-free (except for the house, that is). I learned the power of maturity and knowing that friendship is not by force. If it is toxic, let it go. I learnt to take note of those who didn’t clap when I won, and those who clapped even before I knew I would win. I became aware of who I am as person and all that God has deposited inside of me. I learned to love me and it’s the best feeling in the world. I can’t wait for 2015…

27. Deedee

December 30, 2014 at 3:47 pm

2014 was not so good for me o! with the exception of my MSc. graduation, i am still job hunting after more than a year of staying at home but am optimistic that 2015 will be a year of many testimonies for me, i hope to get a good paying job, get married and put smiles on peoples’ faces (philanthropy, no matter how small), may God see me through…..

28. Menoword

December 30, 2014 at 3:47 pm

2014 was my year of Investment. I worked really hard this year, learned some very hard lessons too. 2015 – I have called it my Year of Positioning, my alignment with God, self and purpose. Great work as always Isio

29. bimmyO

December 30, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hmmmmm. …..2014….the year that I met God

30. Chinco

December 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Attempting to hide every tear in every spot meant that you cannot even concentrate on moving…I really like that part, today’s write up was really inspiring and I identify with what has been said. There have been surprises and delays this year but I know 2015 is going to be awesome

31. jcsgrl

December 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Ehn Isio before I read the content, this cannot be ya own epilogue oh! You musta right another one. See as you just use one stone kee two birds. Mba mba mba I no gree. *frowning face, stomping foot and storming out. Pls tell me BN is saving the best for last. Yes? No?? *sobbing uncontrollably

• Isio Wanogho

December 30, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Hahhahhaahhahhahaaaaa!
      No vex o, abeg *sending countless e-hugs your way* I shall try to write a very very special piece especially for you.

• jcsgrl

December 30, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Ehugs and smackers nwanne m and compliments of the season. I shall truly cherish a nice beauriful piece from you

32. Deedara

December 30, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Beautiful article, Isio! Lots of food for thought.
    2014 has been about adjustment for me. Adjusting to new and surprising responsibilities, different ups and downs, having dear friends move away, facing some deep and difficult questions, realizing (or being reminded) that not everyone wishes me well, being lonely, burying myself in too much work, going gray! Realizing that it’s time for a change. I was also ill a lot this year, very unlike my usual healthy self. Again, it’s time for a change.
    In 2015 I am focusing on well-being – not just physical (that too) but spiritual, mental, emotional. I am focusing on my well-being, my balance, and the well-being of those around me and everyone whom God chooses to bless through me. In the midst of the storms of life that we all must face, I am trusting God for the boldness, determination and courage to make big changes in my life and follow them through on the path to my destiny. I pray that God uses me to bring a blessing to someone else, and that I find my joy, peace and love in Him. I trust that in doing so, I will find true fulfillment.

33. chica

December 30, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I wouldn’t take my food for granted in 2015.chika would eat food…lol

34. L

December 30, 2014 at 7:15 pm

2014 was a good year for me despite some of the struggles I faced I held on to God he comforted me and showed me that he will never leave me. I am excited for 2015. I pray you all have a wonderful 2015 too. And I also became a Bella Naija reader In 2014 and love isio’s writings.

35. Jagbajantis

December 30, 2014 at 7:35 pm

2014 has been a thing of beauty for me. Wow what a year, which even surpassed 2013 which was a hard act to follow.

I bought a house this year, and gained a home. Not a mansion by any means, but with enough rooms that I made one a man caveMy kids grew in leaps and bounds excelling both mentally and physically. I moved jobs from a sweat shop role where though I was a manager, I had the boss from hell with the mental maturity of a tailor ant to a role in a global oil service firm where I smile to work every day. My wife also got a new opportunity for increasing her salary by almost 20 stacks, and this year she has blossomed in strength and beauty. Yep, I had sex on tap this year.

I discovered a lot of things about myself this year. Learnt to celebrate my strengths and accept my vices. No longer will I slay my brother by the wicked lash of the tongue or brand any daughter of Eve a strumpet.

This year I dreamed dreams, just like Jacob did in the savannah. Of arch-angels descending from the sky and playing a script from heaven’s movie

2015 is going to be better. So thank you Jesus, as I prepare to resurrect further and put together all the pieces.

36. Lyn

December 30, 2014 at 7:40 pm

“It is what it is, until it is not…then it is something else”
    Life is simple like that.

• qutemaandee

January 14, 2015 at 10:35 am

My favourite line in this piece, it’s just that simple really!

37. funkie

December 30, 2014 at 7:52 pm

2014…Hummmmmmm d year I will nvr forget. I came into dis year with high expectations den tins started happening, I had a stillbirth, jobless n lost my marriage. I ws depressed but thank God am alive cos his grace kept me. 2015 will be my year of restoration

• girl

December 30, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I hope 2015 is great to you, stay stong and hold on to your faith

• Laughing Hard

December 30, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Amen

• papermoon

December 30, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Funkie, this is a promise from God to you In Joel 3:18, “In that day the mountains will drip new wine, and the hills will flow with milk;
      all the ravines of Funkie will run with water.
      A fountain will flow out of the Lord’s house
      and will water the valley of Funkie.”

“In that day the mountains will drip new wine,
      and the hills will flow with milk;
      the t of the Lord’s house
      and will water the valley of Funkie”

• Chinky

December 31, 2014 at 8:20 am

You will smile again as long as God lives.

• Diuto

January 2, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Dearie e-hugs for you. Something great is about to happen in your life. You would be outstanding and receive extraordinary grace. Remember there’s treasure even in the trash. Remain blessed

38. Evita

December 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm

captivating post! Nicee! I like

39. girl

December 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm

The most important thing i learnt this year is that God is real and without him I wouldn’t be half of who I am. I started the year so strong that i began to feel myself to much, lets just say God used the last half of the year to humble me, LOL.
    Cant wait to a great 2015 by his grace.

40. SEEN ALL

December 30, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Isio! darling your piece is so inspiring thank you. 2014 my year of SELF-DEPENDENCE! pass my ICAN EXAMS. 2014 I realized that You can stand tall without standing on someone, that you can be a victor without having victims. Come 2015 I just want to make money,make love,make babies & make heaven. thats all..

41. papermoon

December 30, 2014 at 11:02 pm

My attitude for the coming year is, “in quietness and in trust is my strength,”

42. God's best

December 30, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Hi Isio, lovely writeup. 2014 I can’t wait for it to be gone, I was down with a strange illness for a month without a diagnosis, thought I was going to die, shortly after recovery I had two accidents, the first minor and the second a major one. In 2014 I was so broke, no jobs, business stood still, debts piled up, I never owe prior to this but in it all, I thank God for making me realise in him I have my peace and rest and with him on my side, there is nothing I cannot conquer. I also rediscovered myself and cut off from bad friends and toxic relationships. Trusting and hopeful that 2015 will be a better year for my hubby, kids n I. A new beginning with renewal of mind and spirit.

43. omotomilade

December 30, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Thank you God.

44. AMcee

December 31, 2014 at 12:14 am

don’t i just love you Isio….u never dissapoint
    2014 has been really amazing for me, in ways i can’t even begin to express. though i’m not married yet and still expecting that car *side eyes to heaven like Isio*, i had d best of dis year. i’m thankful for the growth both personal and otherwise i experienced. twas a year of self discovery for me
    2015 is definitely going to be better

45. omotomilade

December 31, 2014 at 12:26 am

2014 my year of exceeding grace, 2015 my year of heaven on earth.

46. Babygiwa

December 31, 2014 at 1:22 am

Isio, thanks for a beautiful,piece as usual. When next i see you at an event, i shall walk up to you and hug you cud you rock. To God, my everything, i love you more than i love me. I thank you above everyone else, cud you rock in every possible way.

47. Babygiwa

December 31, 2014 at 1:23 am

*cus
    *cus

48. yet_dup

December 31, 2014 at 1:34 am

Isio a million likes for this article, I Love! Love! Love! Thanks for sharing your thots and helping us remember that for each tear there’s a lesson. Cheers to 2014 as it packs it’s bag as we bid it a final farewell, even as we roll out the red carpet to herald 2015. Have a great 2015 my lovelies and a million gbosa to you Isio, God’s great blessings in the new year & beyond in Jesus Name amen.

49. Brown

December 31, 2014 at 4:46 am

This year started started pretty bad for me. My birthday this year and I was facing a disciplinary panel for plagarism in one of essay coursework for my Masters program because I was still new to the UK educational system. I learned my lessons and improved on my mistakes. Second semester I worked extra hard, Spent countless nights in my uni libary and at last I excelled perfect. That up till now I keep came asking myself if really am the one. I learned that hard work and prayers really work together and to Gods glory am a masters degree holder with an excellent grade. I remembered how bad my first semester result was that I almost lost hope of even graduating with a merit. But in all I still worked hard in my studies like I have never worked before in my entire life. My grades improved like a miracle and my dissertation was garded as an excellent piece of work. And then the highest shock of my life came in October when I carried myself for a medical check up before I would finally return back to Nigeria after completion of my program and boom the doctor said that I am HIV positive. Further results of test confirmed that I have had the virus in me for 2years without knowing and without any signs. I cried and questioned God but in all I was able to remember just how I contacted it and all I could remember was one night of unprotected sexual pleasure with a girl that lives in my estate back were I live in Nigeria. Since then I kept asking myself what if I did not go for this medical checkup and decided to carry myself back to Nigeria, what would have happened to me after the virus must have multiplied more inside my body. I began to think of the girl that I got this virus from and how she would not know that she has this virus in life and how many people like me she has infected the virus into not knowing her status. I tried contacting her but could not. I started medication immediately and within weeks of starting medication my viral load went from a high number to a significant little amount. I began to think of what my life would be from now and i began to research about the latest information about the virus and each day I find new stuffs that still gives me hope that atleast all is well if I stick to my medication. I decided to build on myself more and I became more positive in life. Even though no member of my family knows about my status because it will break there heart telling them such information but I decided to do the right thing by starting medication and living a healthy life. What surprises me the most is that I Am not a womaniser but one night pleasure am kept my life in a deep secret for life. I have made a huge mistake in my life and I still remain positive that all is well. I have fought battles in Life and this I will fight to give a testimony someday. I am healthy now and my viral load is low meaning I cannot transmit the virus to anybody but am still worried with the amount of young people who do not know their status and who have the virus in them and have no idea. In all I still thank God for a fruitful 2014 and know that he will perfect his will for me in my life come 2015.

• Oluwatosin

January 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm

There is nothing God can not do,
      Are you a christian?
      If yes why not key into the fast that many of the churches are enging thius month
      and keep reciting Isaiah 58:8
      “”Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
      and your healing will quickly appear;
      then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
      and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard”

God will heal you and he will direct you, you shall testify in Jesus name,
      There’s nothing impossible for him to do

50. Chinky

December 31, 2014 at 8:26 am

Beautiful piece Isio, I’ll be looking out for you in your new ride *winks*

51. Ferrari

December 31, 2014 at 9:16 am

2014…it has been a good year. although still did not find love, i found myself again and learned to love myself all over again. I went out more, made new friends, spent more time with my family, moved to a new apartment, i laughed this year…a lot. i excelled at my job. i cried a lot less. Generally i have been very happy. Looking forward to an exceptional year in 2015

52. yonce

December 31, 2014 at 10:21 am

2014. I cried,(a lot)…..I smiled as well. In all I am very grateful for His mercy.

53. Dami

December 31, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Just checked out your website.. Amazing! Glad that the jobs came pouring. Wish you plenty more better better customers in 2015 .

54. Jamce

December 31, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Isio, great write up and writing skills. Great AWARENESS and expression of issues of life. Kudos

55. Haddy

December 31, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hmm… where do I start from? 2014 was toxic for me, relationship-wise. I fled from a town and a job because of unrequited love and how I allowed a man to mess me up. How pathetic is that? But I had to do that to preserve my sanity.
    Thank God for family and a few good friends. I am gradually getting my life back together and opening up again.
    I am always thankful to God for whatever situation I find myself in. I have a job. I have a supportive family. I may not be where I expected to be by now, but the saying ‘when there’s life there’s hope” is more than just a cliché.
    I was at an all-down low in 2014. hated my self and my life (may God forgive me).
    I pray for love, real love, cos despite my experience, I want to love and be loved.
    I pray for a better job and to be at a job that I absolutely love.
    I pray for my family, my parents especially. I pray for the means to be able to take care of them very well. Those old folks have done a lot and sacrificed much for my siblings and I.
    I pray for the ability to make a difference in my life and those of others. I have a passion for helping people and I pray to be in a position to always do that.
    By God’s Grace.

56. Valerie

December 31, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Lovely write up as always. Year 2014 started not as brightly as i hoped, i lost a few people friends, the disasters and all.Highlights of the year; In September, le boo landed a dream job miraculously after searching for a job for 2 years. Then 2 days ago, a family friend had her first baby after 17 years of marriage. 2015 here i come, happy new year in advance everyone.

57. Avon

December 31, 2014 at 12:42 pm

2014 was way better than 2013 and I’m indeed grateful.
    2015 is a going to be a year of REJUVENATION.

58. Blackbeauty

December 31, 2014 at 2:22 pm

For the first time ever, I’m looking back on a year gone by with mixed feelings. Some unmet expectations but I have chosen to end the year on a thanksgiving note. I married the love of my life this year, I’m alive, in perfect health, I have a new family, starting my own, great people along the way. In all, God has been faithful and He is still God. 2015: my year of amazing testimonies, Amen.

59. girrl

January 1, 2015 at 7:21 pm

2014: Revelation and Self-fufilling

60. TPenner

January 3, 2015 at 12:12 am

Hectic, yet thankFUL #2014
    More reliance on God, pursue new interests, joy! #2015

61. Buki

January 3, 2015 at 9:40 pm

You’re an amazing writer Isio (lovely name by the way) You’re an inspiration. You should do more with your writing, Lord knows how Shonda Rhimes started! you could do much more with your thought process and your pen. All the best in the new year… btw I took a sneak peek at your website, you’re going places darling… Now you’ve got me all fired up, need to live my dreams! xoxo

62. Babe

January 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm

2014 was a ‘IT’ year for me ..i got engaged , i bought my first car,my then fiance now my husband wrote different medical professional exam to be licensed in England, he passed, he got a very OK job , we got married legally…cant but thank God because 2013 was stressful till the last quarter and God finished what he started..2015 will be awesome…

63. manb4real

January 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Hmmmmm,what can I say,2014 is a year I will never, never forget in my entire life.Its not as if good things did not happen,but even the good was covered by the bad……….wait,I mean the really, really terrible. Firstly,I lost my husband on the 31st Jan.2014, and all of a sudden,my 4yr plus,divinely arranged marriage with my sweetheart came to an end.I became a widow at 29 and my two little girls ages 4 and 2 became orphans.Oh the pains,the struggle in the hospital for months,hoping,praying,wishing,all to no avail.I still feel married,(I still wear my wedding band and see nothing wrong with it.)my first child sees him always in her dream telling her he loves her-she always tells me her dreams and both girls have always been closer to him than me despite I was a stay at home mum and he was a banker. Later in the year,towards the end,I got a job with the federal govt. it is appreciated,but it’ll have been more fulfilling if he was here with us. Its almost a year dear,but its as if it was yesterday,we miss you more each passing day. Some days we are strong,other days,we are weak and scared,its like facing the unknown alone. The four + years were so wonderful,full of lessons,its all you taught us that is keeping us going, sleep on till we part to meet no more.

• happy baby

January 9, 2015 at 5:20 pm

God would always be with you and your little angel. He would be a father to your children.

• Oluwatosin

January 14, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Awwwwwwww,
      May God withhold you all in Jesus Name

64. Oluwatosin

January 14, 2015 at 6:02 pm

2014 was a year,
    I was suffering from an auto immune disease – Hidradenitis Suppurativa, some of its syndrome in some case is rheumatism, it was really bad that the strongest pain killers will suppress it for just 5 hours (yes, I was counting), we (my family and I) hopped from one church to another while being a regular at Luth and the best hospital in Ikoyi. God came through, the rheumatism disappeared without a trace, though the auto immune looks to still be present I know that I am healed and the sores just need to dry up
    I broke off a relationship, I knew he wasn’t the one, I knew I was forcing issues, thank God for the courage to walk away, though the easiest thing at the time would have been to give in especially with the mentality of who will want me with this disease.
    I travelled, saw new places, had a great time.
    I feel inspired.
    Will go after my dreams in 2015,
    Will love myself more,
    will apply to that ivy league uni,
    Will start that business on a small scale,
    I am excited. God will do great things

Thanks for sharing Isio.