News

Living with HIV for 15 Years! Kehinde Bademosi, Founder of Orange Academy marks World AIDS Day by Sharing His Story

Kehinde Bademosi (2)

Today, Monday December 1st, is World AIDS Day and Orange Academy founder Kehinde Bademosi has taken a gigantic step by revealing that he was diagnosed with HIV in 1999.

In a long post on his personal Facebook page, he shares his journey with the virus and how he has been living a healthy life for the past 15 years.

Kehinde Bademosi (1) Kehinde Bademosi (5)

It is an inspiring story that chronicles his fears, his acceptance and his decision to not let HIV be the end of him.

Read it below.

Today, Monday December 1st, is World AIDS day, and I’m celebrating my resolve to live with this damn virus all these many years without letting it define who I am. Every journey I take, every picture of me you see, and every new challenge I take on are all huge reminders that I must never stop living my best life. So, I decided to share my journey with you today. Honestly, I don’t know what exactly you are dealing with but I’m writing you this to hold tight to your dream. Here’s a quick sketch of my journey from the first day I tested positive, some 15 years ago. My upcoming book tells the full story.

1999. After three years of different pains and minor illnesses, I was encouraged by my best friend and Professor Soyinka, an HIV specialist, to go get tested so I could face my fear. I had just resumed work as a Copywriter at McCann. I’d rather not know. I was working on Coca Cola, and I would rather live in the joy of that dream. It was that point when you assured yourself this was only a lie from the pit of hell. I had not been a ‘bad boy,’ I would assure myself.

1999. I tested, and it came back positive. I blamed everyone but myself. I wanted to end my life immediately. Trust me, I did try a few things. Then I called on God. I told God to change the status because it didn’t look good on him. I sang. I fasted. I gave offerings. Prophet offerings. I died several times, but I didn’t die. I was always back to myself. I came up with a few pseudo coping skills, but I was always depressed. The picture of HIV back then was very gory, and I was wasting away.

2004. I realized I didn’t die yet. My flesh had not fallen off. My heart was still beating. I still liked rice and pepper stew. I still had early morning erections – and not just in the early mornings. Shouldn’t I be dead by now? I began to question everything I ever knew.

2006. I had a local operation for tonsillitis, and it brought my immune system to level zero. I was infected by everything you could name. But I was so happy that I was going to die finally. Wouldn’t it be nice to die just like that? Unfortunately, I did not die. I was bedridden for four months and was forced to live by myself. It was there that my Exodus happened. I realized for the 1st time that the real death is when we refuse to live out our full potential. Death is not a physical thing. It is an emotional thing. When we stop living. When we stop laughing. When we stop learning. When we stop crying. Or feeling. So I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital. There, I started the anti-HIV medication. (Trust me, it doesn’t kill as I had feared)

2007. I started living and loving myself. As a creative person, I created Orange Academy to start teaching people how to find their creative self. Love themselves. Tell compelling stories. I put all my life into it. Then, I started to undo all my pseudo coping skills. Oh, I had tons of them. Like getting married, wanting people to accept me, being the ‘yes’ man to Ministers of God – something I did in times past to assure myself I was doing ‘God’s will.’ I stopped sending my money to Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) and started investing it on people I could see around me. Little did I realize that God didn’t send me to do anything to gain his favor or search for him. God had never been lost. I was meant to find myself and live my authentic life. Lift people up. Fight the oppression around me. I started spending time with myself. I started working out at the gym. I started to travel to enjoy the universe.

2008 – 2010. I looked in the mirror, and I saw a better me. A younger me. A healthier me. No more lies. At Orange Academy, we started the ART OF POSITIVE THINKING and started to use our arts and money to assist people living with debilitating diseases or social conditions. I took those layers of lies off my soul. I started writing my memoir – my full story as a preacher boy trying to find God who art in heaven! [ THE EXODUS coming out next year ]

2014. November. I had an appointment with my doctor in Maryland, USA, and he asked me:
‘What’s your secret?’ All your medical tests are amazing. We tested for everything possible. No new infections or conditions. Blood work is excellent. Nothing at all to worry about. Perfect health. Just that you are still HIV+.’
‘Oh really?’ I said. ‘I thought that had disappeared.’
‘ Well, it’s still there, sadly. I hope Science gets the cure someday soon.’

We both laughed and then I fought back a little tear in my eyes. This dude doesn’t know how grateful I am for HIV. Thank God for HIV. I wish I never had it, but Lord I did! It made me run after myself. Maybe I would never have understood myself; that no one can save us but us. Maybe I would never know the refreshing power that loneliness can bring when we embrace our broken self.

Here’s what I want you to take away: don’t end your dreams just because you are presented with bad news along the way. Remember, HIV doesn’t kill anymore; it’s ignorance that kills. Use that bad news to ride onto your next phase. It will be tough. I won’t lie. Don’t be afraid to live vulnerably. It’s empowering. Empower yourself by loving yourself. Find yourself. Give yourself to people without expecting anything in return. If you are a Faith person, keep living your Faith in love for humankind. Empty yourself and accept to be filled with kindness from others. Believe me, there are still angels out there to lift you up.

*NOTE: Potentially I cannot infect anyone with HIV since my viral load went to undetectable since 2008. Nevertheless, I still advise that you take precaution with sexual partners as an HIV+ person, so they don’t infect you with STDs. If you have not tested, know your status. It’s liberating. Starting an HIV medication now doesn’t only protect your loved ones but can make you live even longer than people without HIV. Want to chat? Send me an email at [email protected]

Kehinde Bademosi (4)

Photo Credit: Facebook

1. Colour Purple

December 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Ignorance really kills. Thank you for speaking up, your story is inspiring.

• ada nnewi

December 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Very very inspiring!

• ab

December 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Hmmn,i ve my teenage cousin and an uncle living with Hiv nd trust me they are doing great,as a matter of fact my uncle just got married on August at 56 nd he is doing well with wifey,hp dey have kids in Jesus name.

2. Asgrl

December 1, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Does it make me a horrible human being, if all I want to know is the dirty dark salacious stories about how he got infected?

I’m truly happy for him. Access to good health care has brought him here as well as a positive mind set. I wish at least at least the acces to great medical care was available to the millions infected in Nigeria. Sadly this is not the case

• quin

December 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm

“Dirty, dark, salacious..” What if it was a blood transfusion?

• looters

December 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm

‘dirty dark salacious stories’ is a very ignorant statement to say the least. It only takes ONE infected person (if we’re talking about getting infected via sexual intercourse irregardless of other numerous means) to infect you, without using protection. ONE, just ONE and nothing greater. Having multiple sexual partners with no protection increases the odds, doesn’t mean you will get it, but it increases the chances.

• *curious*

December 2, 2014 at 1:35 am

Quick Facts About HIV Transmission
      HIV cannot survive for very long outside of the body
      HIV cannot be transmitted through routine daily activities such as using a toilet seat, sharing food utensils or drinking glasses, shaking hands, or through kissing.
      The virus can only be transmitted from person to person, not through animals or insect bites
      People infected with HIV who are taking antiretroviral therapy can still infect others through unprotected sex and needle-sharing

HIV Risk Factors
      HIV is found in the blood, semen, or vaginal fluid of someone who is infected with the virus. You may be at increased risk of becoming infected with HIV if you:
      1. Engage in anal, vaginal, or oral sex with men who have sex with men, multiple partners, or anonymous partners without using a condom
      2. Inject drugs or steroids where needles/syringes are shared
      3. Have a sexually transmitted infection, such as syphilis, genital herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, bacterial vaginosis, or trichomoniasis
      4. Have been diagnosed with hepatitis, tuberculosis, or malaria
      5. Exchange sex for drugs or money
      6. Are exposed to the virus as a fetus or infant before or during birth or through breastfeeding from a mother infected with HIV
      7. Received a blood transfusion or clotting factor in the United States anytime from 1978 to 1985
      8. Engage in unprotected sex with someone who has any of the risk factors listed above

Regarding #7, one may still acquire HIV through blood transfusion but the risk is supposedly less because now blood banks screen for this virus, whereas most of them didn’t prior to 1985.

Also, HIV may not be detected in a newly infected individual’s blood simply because the antibody (protein made against foreign substances in the body, including viruses and bacteria) count is too low. This period is called the window period and it ranges anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.

Sources:
      niaid.nih.gov/topics/HIVAIDS/Understanding/Pages/riskFactors.aspx
      ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7612221

3. Amaka

December 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Wow! Ride on brother, don’t let HIV define you.

4. kikiola

December 1, 2014 at 1:10 pm

hmm it is well. .. welldone on your achievements , truly inspiring story and you are hot sha.. so not to sound like an ignoramus o, you say you cannot infect anyone, how so? in relation to a future partner? and you never told us how you got infected, needles, multiple sexual partners, blood transfusion etc.. Secondly, wole Soyinka, hmmm tell him i must meet him before he dies oo, i wrote him a letter when i went to see camwood on the leaves, i think it was his 72nd birthday then.. oh the letter is still on my usb drive o, haven’t sent it out yet…

5. bruno

December 1, 2014 at 1:12 pm

what a courageous man.

but I dont advice people in nigeria to be airing this kind of personal details about themselves. nigerians are vwey tacky and tasteless. it u tell someone something personal about ur self like ur parents are divorced orur father is dead etc, one day when u and that person gets into an arguement, that person will use it against you.

in nigeria once people hear u have hiv, u own don finish. they will be running away from you, they won’t want u to touch them, they will be pointing at you and calling u names etc. if u dont have hiv but you come out and advocate about hiv awareness, they will say u have hiv.

ignorance is killing nigeria

there are some people who believe hiv is a gay disease, they believe hiv is a curse from god to punish gay people. pls if u think like this, u better change the way u think. hiv no dey look face whether gay or straight if u dont play safe u will catch it.

• Respect

December 1, 2014 at 2:18 pm

and that is where you go wrong. if he had not spoken about this, what then would be the essence of The orange academy. Am so inspired by this. am looking forward to his book and certainly gonna e-mail him.

• muzzy

December 1, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Hello Bruno am sorry but your allegations are wrong on different fronts. Times have changed so much that more and more people are announcing their hiv status to empower others. Maybe you should simply change your mindset

• bruno

December 1, 2014 at 7:56 pm

u people love to deceive ur selves. u live in vgc and high brow areas thats why u are talking as if everybody in forward thinking, go to neighbourhoods in ajegunle or bariga or ketu and annouce u are hiv positive. u will see how people will be avoiding u and be pointing at u when u walk down the street. they may even evict you from you apartment. the land lord will tell u to pack ur thing because u have hiv.

many of u people are so rich, u dont know what is happening in nigeria. u live I expensive areas that why.

6. nonye

December 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I love this guy!! Truth be told , HIV is something to be managed just as any other health challenge. Thank you for further demystifying this Kehinde

7. vivian

December 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm

way to go Kenny! this is inspiring. some people are going through much less than you and they have given up on life, negativity kills faster than the disease. you look good man, keep the flag flying helping people find themselves

8. bruno

December 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm

“I hope science gets the cure someday soon”

I love that sentence. pls no amount of prayer or fasting can cure someone qho us hiv positive. no daddy in the lord or bishop or papa or lady apostle or whatever you people call those fraudster these days can cure hiv. if u like have faith as big as aso rock hiv can never be cured with prayer.

go to the hospital, there are trained doctors who are ready to take care of you.

I dont know if hiv drugs are expensive, but america has threatened to cut aid from nigeria so be expecting the prices of hiv meds to go up because of the anti gay bill. gej well done

• sonia

December 2, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hey dont say dat… i Have heard of so many people cured from HIV through pastors with Gods mercies on so many accounts . God can do anything nothing is too big or difficult for him therefore HIV is peanut for God. You certainly dont know the god u worship…

9. steve joe

December 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm

So inspiring…..Doctor told me dat I’m HIV positive..I didn’t agree wit him. I didn’t hide it frm ma parent I tld all of dem! Immediately we al wen to d hospital wen dey did an all round test nd dey stil insist dat it’s in me! Buh am nt qualify 4 drugs. Dat I shld b closer to GOD almighty. My next appointment is on d 23 of January 2015 I pray 2 c changes. If GOD heals me I wil wok 4 him and serve him FOREVER. Nd I mean it. ADD me friends if u care to b my friend pin:3305C4FD, 08168612692…. I stil need people to talk to me cos right naw am still confused.

• bruno

December 1, 2014 at 1:44 pm

@steve joe, you will be disappionted in ur god, no amount of prayer can cure hiv. you will pray and pray and nothing will happen, u will still remain hiv positive and u will get depressed.

acceptance is important. accept it, go and see a trained doctor, take ur meds, execesize, eat healthy and you will see wonders in ur life.

you can still have children and ur children will be hiv negative. it will shock you when u see urself living longer than people who dont have hiv.

science is working hard to find the cure. all donations are impotant. instead of dashing ur fraudster pastors money, go and make a donation to hiv research and awareness.

• bbaby

December 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm

May God forgive you Bruno.

• blessed

December 1, 2014 at 2:05 pm

hello steve joe, can you drop your mail? i will definite;y contact you via that means. keep your head up. hoping to really hear from you 😉 God bless you. i will keep coming to this post for one week from today just incase you stop by. stay blessed and dont let anyone or anything steal your joy at this time for the Lords joy is your strength !!!

• steve joe

December 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

• blessed

December 2, 2014 at 1:45 pm

@steve joe. thank you. i just saw your mail and i dropped a message for you there. God bless you.

• Mama

December 1, 2014 at 2:19 pm

@steve joe HIV doesn’t kill. Its AIDS that kills. There are medication that can contain it and you will live a very healthy life and even have a family. Let this Man’s story inspire you. Faith and believing in God is trusting in hime even when the outcome is not what we want.

• Kelechi Henry

December 1, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Dear Steve Joe, go for your appointment; begin medications if you have to and still pray. God can heal you but sometimes, the miracle is that there are even medications for you to take (imagine having HIV in the early 80s). Furthermore, look at the fact that your family has supported, your condition has not deteriorated etc. as miracles…. In fact, the miracles are everywhere!! Finally, God still heals so dont stop praying but take your meds as faith without works is dead.
      P.S. Bruno, while I understand where you are coming from; your strategy is a bit harsh, please calm down.

• C'est moi

December 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Don’t rely on pastors for this issue! Heard about a pastor who told an HIV man to believe by faith that he is healed & he will be. This chap rode the faith bus & didn’t get tested for confirmation, carried on life as normal as got married to a virgin bride (as they do in 9ja). Ended up infecting her and their newborn baby, when confronted upon discovery of her status, he said he had it but was healed of it 4yrs ago…

• Blessmyheart

December 1, 2014 at 3:48 pm

As someone who believes in divine healing, i think that’s just stupid. You believe you have been healed but go to the hospital for confirmation. Also, these days many churches require hiv test before marriage. It is unfortunate that there are many ignorant people who make divine healing sound like a lie. When Jesus healed the leper, he told him to go and show himself to the Priest because in those days, there was a provision that the Priest has to certify a leper clean before he can be allowed back among people. People need to read their Bibles. God still performs miracles but that doesn’t mean we should refuse to face the reality.

• Okeoghene

December 2, 2014 at 6:37 am

Blessmyheart,thank you for that..indeed,God’s children perish for lack of knowledge.My dear Steve Joe,are you born again?if you are,know this;you are a new creation,and you are superior to sicknesses.The Word of God says at the name of Jesus,is above every other name!HIV is a name of an illness,and the name of Jesus is above it!Listen,stick to the Word of God concerning you!He says that ‘by His stripes,you were healed’!.That is your present hour possession!He says that the Word is ‘life to those who find them and health(medicine)to all their flesh’.My brother,guard your heart with all diligence!do not listen to the lies of the devil!Meditate on the Word and see the miracle of God!

• Akua

December 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. Just know that these are times when God wants to draw you closer to him, and you don’t have serve God or worship Him only because you want something from Him. You have to begin exercising that faith by serving Him now, and asking Him to show you your purpose in life especially in these trialing times. Sometimes God puts us through such challenges, so that we can change our ways and find Him. Unfortunately, your trial happens to be HIV, but remember that NIV doesn’t kill, it is ignorance that kills. And take a cure from the above inspiring story and know that things happen for a reason. You don’t have to give in to this disease to let it take your happiness from you. I pray that God will give you strength and the peace you need to move forward. Stay blessed.

10. Ona

December 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm

How awesome! Kenny i commend u for being the voice of a silent and ridiculed group in this country where people are easily castigated for just being
    Different. Indeed i am grateful for science which makes it possible for folks with hiv live a long healthier life. Kudos for being so brave…….and foine! *wink*

11. Lamlam

December 1, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Deep!!! Very inspiring

12. Radiant

December 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm

The best message for me here is to live an authentic life.

13. omon

December 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm

wao,cute guy.I will praying 4 u. nothing is impossible for God.remember a thousand years in d eyes of men is just a day in d eyes of God.stay bless

14. aisha

December 1, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Very inspiring….Nice 1 KENNY!!!

15. yugo

December 1, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Inspirational

16. Mama

December 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

What a very inspiring story!!! Thank you so much for coming out. People don’t understand that HIV doesn’t kill, its AIDS that kills. HIV can be contained like in your case where you can live a healthy life and have a family.
    You are an inspiration and PLEASE continue to be the voice of HIV so young people can go and check on time and contain it before it becomes AIDS.
    May God continue to show you his favour and I know in all this if you haven’t yet found it, He will send you your missing rib…. You will not miss out on any aspect of live in Jesus Name!!!

17. VeryAngryNigerian

December 1, 2014 at 2:30 pm

mmmmmmhhhh….where are all the “is he single?” girls that always run around BN?

• olu

December 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm

you are obviously veryAngry…lol!

18. tee

December 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

First , I am stunned , Kenny is such a creative mind ,its amazing .Having someone so close to home infected is such a reality check .

I have never been tested and have no intention to, my boyfriends always have to be tested but i have never checked , i have been to the hospital to check but the lady i met already stigmatized it before i tested so i turned back (She said come back tomorrow morning for the test in the white paper and your diabetes test), i said oh the HIV test and she said yes so i knew God forbid it was positive , i would not get any genuine counselling so i walked away.

That said , the fear of being infected since i had weight loss and was feeling ill regularly made me up my gain by eating healthy and taking even some anti-viral drugs . They didn’t work , then i was kicked out of my guardians place , i jumped from a size 8 to 14 in a month , had a new relationship and didn’t have the mouth sore again .

I am officially struggling with my weight , its was the emotional stress that was responsible for my illnesses and little did i know.

That said i think only a fool will say there is no God and if it has a name , God can cure it . God works in ways men cant understand , I don’t know what its like to have HIV virus but i know what its like not to have your prayers answered .as you expect ,

The brain is a powerful tool, there are limitations to science , its called miracle . And people get healed of cancer which is worse than HIV even Ebola is worse than HIV so Bruno stop sharing your negativity . Here i was thinking you have changed . May the healing hands of God touch anyone that needs healing today in Jesus name .Amen

• tunmi

December 1, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Abeg go get tested. Knowing for sure will help you have a firm grip on that reality

• Blessmyheart

December 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm

That’s the issue, many Christians do not know how to deal with not getting the answer you’re expecting at the time you want it. We need to learn to trust God no matter what, that He is with us whatever we’re going through and His purpose is good, though it may not seem that way at that time. Looking at this inspiring story, God didn’t take away the HIV but he is touching lives while living with HIV and still living a fulfilling life. God’s ways are just not explainable.

I think you should go and do the test so that you’ll be able to make the right decision(s) for your life.

• ash

December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Tee, U sound like a wonderful person. Some how I believe U r. Struggling with Ur weight? Tell the Lord & U will see while trusting Him, He shows U so many things U need to know & U will loose the weight.. I am a chic, been there & I know what I am talking about. Just let God lead U.

• VeryANgryNigerian

December 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Wow…religion can make you lose weight now? *eyes popping*…… well I guess if you do 40 day dry fasting….biri-biri ….. mmhh BN your readers are getting interesting by the day…..I’m learning so much…. Off to talking to da Lord, I gotta lose 60 pounds.

• missappleberry

December 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Amen

• Colour Purple

December 2, 2014 at 7:44 am

I can’t believe what I just read. This is the ignorance we are talking about. If you don’t like that place go to another place. There are so many different STD’s out there and if you are having unprotected sex whether married or not you should be screened every year. ( yes I said married, a lot of spouses infect their partners) there are STD’s that harm your fertility and vital organs asides from HIV so please stop living in denial and go get tested!

19. Tomi

December 1, 2014 at 3:02 pm

If this is the same Kenny I know, respect man!! The sky is not your limit. I hope you still sing

20. ada nnewi

December 1, 2014 at 3:19 pm

In other news, is he single?

• ada nnewi

December 2, 2014 at 7:35 am

No replies yet…kk, emailing the brother right away…:D

21. benny

December 1, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I see HIV as a condition like any other. Western media just pumped fear into everyone (their Modus Operandi). HIV is not half as problematic as cancer. U take regular drugs like u will take for diabetes or sickle cell anaemia.

All I see is a handsome successful man. If I was still single, y’all would have read our wedding story on this BN. No time to waste time.

22. Akua

December 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Wow, I wish I had the permission to share this story on fb page. It is very inspiring not only for people with HIV status, but for everyone going through challenges of any sort. This is what I call winning at all cost. I certainly have learned something, and I thank you for sharing your story. May God bless and keep you for coming out to share your story with the world.

23. Honeycrown

December 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Inspiring! My people, knowledge is power! Prayer & medicine can work together for good. Ignorance kills even before physical death! Nuff said!!

24. Friday's OtherChild

December 1, 2014 at 4:33 pm

What an amazing and courageous thing to do! Stigma kills and devastates lives, HIV/AIDs doesn’t have to.

25. Prince ajibade

December 1, 2014 at 5:45 pm

thank you so much bro. you don’t know what you’ve done to me personally. your story is more than a story to me. I’m lifted in my spirit and so inspired.
    I’ll write you. once more, many thanks

26. Kenny Raymond

December 1, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Give it a rest Bruno.We know u don’t like pastorsand God but Not all pastors are the same and God still heals .That u don’t believe it doesn’t make it less truthful OK.

• Fine girl

December 1, 2014 at 8:00 pm

God heals but there is apparently no cure/healing for HIV. Stop leading pple on falsely!

• name

December 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm

there is no human cure for hiv but there is and always be a divine cure for hiv by the almighty God. I thot i’ll reverse that for you

27. chinco

December 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Smart and good looking… Thanks for inspiring people

28. Bola

December 1, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Dang. I’m bout to email you some hot toasting. Fine boy!!!

29. zeezee

December 1, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Thank you so much for this inspiring story. You are hot , handsome and apparently have a strong heart. HIV needs people like you to define it as nothing more than an infection. I wish you the best. Your story has touched my mkpuruobi.

30. looters

December 1, 2014 at 7:51 pm

*Side note for BN*. The like button you guys introduced isn’t the most fantastic. You should only be able to like a post/comment once like facebook and youtube. Liking it again should unlike it.

31. Fine girl

December 1, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I love this guy! His story is so inspiring.

32. bruno

December 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I can not believe the comments I am reading.

this is 2014 and many of you people still believe prayer can cure hiv.

the worst thing in life is to have false hope and to be decieving your self.

stop running away from reality.

all of you can not handle the truth, thats why u think my comments are harsh.

apart from my comments nobody else on bellanaija talked about protection, playing safe(condom use)

apart from me, nobody else on this blog talked about hiv research and awareness and making donations to find the cure for hiv.

instead u people are talking about prayer and faith. smh

I pity nigerians. the way people think in this nation frightens me.

with this mentality we can never progress.

• Atl's finest

December 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Exactly! Can U imagine folks mentality? There are certain things that religion should be put aside for once. E.g. HIV/AIDS issues. Just like some folks think checking your blood type isn’t called for before marriage. When two AS ends up with SS child, then there’s war everywhere. People need to use their search engine a lot and know that this is beyond Church..

33. anonymous

December 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I am inspired by this but most of all by the part where you said we should live an authentic life. This line particularly inspired me: ‘Little did I realize that God didn’t send me to do anything to gain his favor or search for him. God had never been lost. I was meant to find myself and live my authentic life.’ Lots of people have chosen to hide behind religion and ‘the lord said’ to stop living just after a calamity. But there is nothing more beautiful than allowing yourself to just be who you truly are and giving and receiving from a place of love.
    I have actually had HIV tests done a lot of times; actually every year.

34. Nma

December 1, 2014 at 11:53 pm

@bruno. I believe in miracles but you don’t . I Believe in Jesus that took sickness , poverty and sin away to die for us on the cross. Cos of my believe in Him that sickness is far away from my body friends and family till date. I don’t smell Hospital to complain that m sick but m a medical student trying to study and save life. How strong is your faith ? How desperate are you to be healed? No sickness is greater than God not even ebola or talk less of HIV . People get healed of it . Faith in God matters in this life

35. Nma

December 2, 2014 at 12:24 am

As a Christian u know if u should sin two things are involved punishment and consequence.
    D punishment Jesus Christ has beared it all on the Cross but the consequence is what you face like getting pregnant and std that’s virus. The bible made it known that fornication is a sin. But how abt some that got it through other means irrespective they have been faithful to God. I blv they get their healing , some are being possessed n got it without knowing. All I blv in this life without God in your life you are completely useless. I can’t go a day without him. Keep praying n keep blvn . He knows our future and he is still at work calling lost soul to come back to him. Turn away from evil and seek God. I swear to you that u will find peace. This our flesh is nothing jst bear that in mind cos dust we r form and we shall return back to dust . Goodnight

36. onyinye

December 2, 2014 at 6:33 am

Inspired by him

37. olu

December 3, 2014 at 9:31 am

Very inspiring. I don’t where to start from. I got infected with the HIV virus when I was 15years old (through blood transfusion), exactly 1996 after which I have been living with the virus.
    Thanks to the help of the doctors and their advices during my early years of detection on how to live with the virus. I am grateful to them all. I went through my secondary years (SSSCE), University days and my post University days with the virus. I met with several counsellors at home and abroad on how to manage the virus. I am grateful to them all.
    I have not let the virus to kill my ambitions and dreams. I forge ahead with hope that a day there will be a vaccine for it

• Yugo

December 3, 2014 at 2:14 pm

We should chat some time. I’m living with this awful virus too, and dang! It’s a lonely, miserable road.

38. charles

December 7, 2014 at 1:36 am

i have been living with hiv for past seven years,pls how can i come out with people of my age.i need your help and am also a gay man in nigeria,pls i need your help to come out to people of my age mostly men who have sex with men in nigeria.

39. Jane

May 17, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Well said Kenny! What a brave thing to do… Like your guts. While I believe in the power of medicine & of course knowing your HIV status and all, I know a higher power… It’s in the name of Jesus! Not saying people shouldn’t take medications but guys please don’t discourage someone who wants to trust God for their healing because God still heals. God bless you all

40. Solomon

July 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

does kenny story really add up?
    Born 1974 – 40 years
    tests hiv 1999- 25 years
    son born 2005- 31 years
    married for six years .if before hiv 1992 18 years

If he has hiv probably has had it for about 5 years

41. Mr CHIDOZIE

April 3, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Very inspiring. A giant steps taken. I wish we all understand this in rightful of mind.its not easy but achievable.