Scoop

Mercy Aigbe-Gentry Addresses Fans Who Say She Wears Fake Designer Labels – ‘Do they Know How Much I Have in My Bank Account or How Much I Earn?’

Mercy Aigbe Gentry The Celebrity Shoot - Bellanaija - December2014007

Mercy Aigbe-Gentry is one Nollywood actress who has got style and a flair for fashion. Having opened her very own boutique recently (click here if you missed it), she is almost always seen clad in one luxury brand or the other.

In an interview with Punch Newspaper, she addresses the fact that on her Instagram page a lot of her fans usually call the luxury brands that she wears fake.

Read excerpts from her interview below.

Why do you have a flair for fashion? My desire to always look good attracted me to fashion because I believe that the way you are dressed to a large extent, determines the way you will be addressed by people. You have to sell yourself through the way you dress. My desire to always look good made me develop a strong passion for fashion.

Has your career enhanced your style? Yes it has because as a celebrity, you must always look good as that is what people expect from us. We have a lot of people who look up to us as role models, so we have to be on top of our game when it comes to fashion. My career has influenced my fashion sense greatly.

Fans often abuse you on your instagram page that the clothes you wear are from fake designer labels; how do you react to such comments? I don’t care about what people think because at the end of the day, it is all about me. If you feel what I wear is fake, it is up to you; it is none of my business. I don’t need anybody to confirm the authenticity of what I wear. Whatever picture I post on my instagram account reflects my personality and I post them because I want to and not for comments’ sake. Most times, I ask how they know that what I am wearing is fake, how can they tell? When I read such comments, I just laugh because I believe they are coming from people who just want to hate me for no reason. The truth is that you cannot tell if my clothes are fake because you do not live with me and you have not checked them out. Some of them go as far as saying I can’t afford certain things and I ask how they know that. Do they know how much I have in my bank account or how much I earn? I don’t let such comments get to me.

So it does not bother you when you post a picture and people deride your style? It does not bother me at all. As far as I am okay with what I am wearing, then I care less about other people’s opinion because I am my biggest critic when it comes to fashion. Once I look into the mirror, and I am happy with what I see and convinced that I look good, people’s opinion do not matter.

What is the most expensive fashion item you own? That would be a Rolex wristwatch my husband gave me as a gift during St. Valentine’s Day in 2010.

You can read up her full interview here.

1. fatima ali

December 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Ok mercy……….. We hear u

2. tee

December 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm

This is what happens when you come on social media to showcase your life, I can understand you are excited about getting somethings and want to scream over the roof but on a regular basis is nor called for.

However if you want to do it get ready for hate comments and why would you even do that to yourself.

3. tee

December 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Girl live your life! You always look good and non of these people are of any consequence to your existence! Designers and trends will give some HBP, your happiness and contentment can’t be bought!

4. tee

December 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

None*

5. LILO

December 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

We don’t have to know how much is in your bank account to spot a fake Hermes or Chanel bag…

• bruno

December 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm

@lilo. lmfao, the shade

6. blessai

December 14, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I. Luv mercy’s dress sense.she is. Always lukin gud n classy.

7. Ty

December 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm

some people are just born haters….they are not happy people. So they manage to get a giggle from hating others. Mercy, do you and never give up they will come back liking you.

8. moore

December 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm

@ mercy f**k haters I love d woman u r becoming…

9. Chidi

December 14, 2014 at 5:46 pm

And that Mercy is exactly the point!! People like you feel tha you can get away with wearing fake designer things because people wouldnt know! Guess what, most peple can tell!!!! Rolex ko Rolex niii!

10. Ama

December 14, 2014 at 6:06 pm

@chidi, I’m pouring cold water on you, hope it helps your tension. See how many exclamation marks you used in one post just to show the extent of your bitterness. Darling, the world isn’t that hard…live and let live

11. Esteejeks

December 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm

what is it with human beings? what does it matter if the lady wears fake or original? is it now a crime for a celebrity to wear what she’s comfortable in? if the lady is comfortable wearing either fake or original designers, its nobody’s business as long as it looks good on her afteral none of you pay her salary. should she spend all her life savings on designers just to gain d public’s approval then eat sand? abeg leave d lady alone to live her life, give her some space. she cannot lyk what evrybody likes dts y she is ‘MERCY’

12. Amh

December 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Mercy is always on point. She’s very hardworking and quite successful in her craft. She can afford Rolex. Why not. If Linda ikeji the blogger can afford a Rolex why not an actress, producer and a director. When you have money why not spend a little on yourself. Am gifting my hubby. A Rolex wristwatch for his 50th birthday gift. Not everyone wears fake. Peeps mind has to be opened sometimes.

• Olohi

December 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm

I don’t like Linda Ikeji but you used the wrong person to compare. Do you know how much she makes? Nothing close to what Mercy makes. Her money and Mercy Aigbe’s aren’t mates. Not all actors make so much and she isn’t even a top actor yet. Same person that her hubby and her couldn’t afford to pay Nepal bills in the rickety hotel that they have on the mainland? Cut your coat according to your size. She deleted her IG because of the comments which makes its true. Please you know a fake hermes of chanel bag when you see one. She has great style, no doubt but she wears fake things, simple.

• Olohi

December 14, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Nepa* it*

• girl

December 15, 2014 at 4:18 am

my dear I was like of all the people to use for comparison, Linda makes good money .

• tee

December 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm

so you roll with her to know all these facts? abeg vamooze, HATER!!!! Jealous beatch!!!

13. Mimi

December 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Such stupid interview questions. Ugh

14. see me see trouble

December 14, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I really don’t get the hate on this woman. Fashion comes and go. Why spend so much money on brands when that trend will soon pass? Hmmmm

• Fashionista

December 15, 2014 at 9:27 am

Some “trends” don’t pass oh. Case in point – Chanel classic flap or Hermes Birkin or Kelly etc. These are classics and they aint going nowhere for many many decades to come, in fact they only get more expensive. Seasonal bags on the other hand will come and go, yes.

• Yayi Boni

December 15, 2014 at 11:08 am

You’ve got that one right babe!

• Yayi Boni

December 15, 2014 at 11:08 am

Well my dear!! Good things are easy to recognize and they also last… I mean real thing…

• gbadamosiB

December 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Abi oooo……..wow can hate!!! Mercy is doing her thing in her own way, and she’s been accepted for it, you need nOt hate dearies!!!

15. JENNIE

December 15, 2014 at 10:31 am

Mercy I see no reason in life why you should address people saying you wear fake. its jst not necessary. first of all its your life you can wear fake if you want its nobody’s business.

16. YEYEAREWA

December 15, 2014 at 11:07 am

Beht, is that why she is bleaching?! lmao! all this one wey una dey talk nor consign me! na the bleaching i get problem wif #EdoGirlsNorDeyCarryLast!

17. ola

December 15, 2014 at 1:30 pm

let see the serial number of one of your hermes bag and i will check it out, every thing you use is fake you know it

18. kenitola

December 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm

i like the way she dresses sha.

19. mary

December 15, 2014 at 2:41 pm

mercy, you are a beautiful woman, and i like your fashion sense, but heyy the truth must be told, we are not talking about ur bank account or how much you make as an actor/producer. you and I know that some of these brands are very expensive, the real deal of Hermes birkin/kelly costs as much as 22k usd or more, the least you can get one is about 12-15k usd, and you know how much it is in our naira, for the fact that you have about 5 of them at a time in different colors makes it fake, the real Hollywood celebs have about one or two of them and thay wait for a while before they get their delivery, but we also know that there are good replicas all over the place, am not talking about Hermes only, brands like channel, fendi cost a great deal, and as Nigerians we have other priorities. you are still a fashionista shaa

20. Merlly

December 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Mary! na true talk!! Mercy i like u sha……. But you dey wear fake things joor…. My Replica Hermes beta pass urs…. U get up to a 4 hermes bag…say wetin …..You are free to carry replica…….

21. jhennique

December 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

LOL. Maybe she didnt know the item was fake. Maybe she cant tell the difference. Maybe she was ripped off. Many she need someone who know sthe difference in her life! Mercy, take a chill pill biko!

22. tee

December 16, 2014 at 3:50 pm

see beef from people who catn afford 6k bags sef, why dont we ladies appreciate ourselves, all we do is get jealous unnecessarily, i’ve seen enough beef here to last me a lifetime. you choose to believe your instincts even after the fact that mercy came out to refute the “:fake” claims by the likes of y’all…na wa

• tee

December 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm

“can’t”

• ola

December 17, 2014 at 11:44 am

tee, just shut your mouth, jealous say wetin nan lazy people like you dey jealous there is nothing she has that i can not afford even better.

• tee

December 17, 2014 at 4:01 pm

You should know lazy people like us since you’re swimming in laziness. Get a life jealous b*tch. Yes I said it again….

23. OLA

December 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

tee, is low life like you dey jealous SUCKER.

• ticky

April 28, 2015 at 8:26 am

Ola and co. The way u have turned another woman’s business to ur problem, that is how u haters will inherit problems all your lives. She wears fake, so what? I love her with the fake but dislike u with ur original.

24. concerned

February 1, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Unless she has some really lucrative side hustles, there is no way anyone can convince me that she makes enough money to drop $20,000-$60,000 on handbags just by being an actress

25. hollar

February 17, 2015 at 4:52 pm

– haterz..don’t mind them jare my mentor …mrs mercy

26. ticky

April 28, 2015 at 8:31 am

Don’t let the price be your problem. I plead with all of you. Free Mercy alone. Encourage her as a Nigerian. Stop asking for the price. If a white woman carries the bag, u will all say is original now that is Mercy is fake. Make una change una attitude eeee. I love her with the fake. It’s lovely

27. baby J

May 12, 2015 at 11:42 am

Get inspired frm others…but don’t follow the queue..live ur life in ur own unique style…u wil see ..people getting inspired and followin u…Mercy u are living ur life in ur own unique style..u being a famous actress don’t make u wear nd use thingx worth millions of money…dat make u 2 xtravagant…..if u dn’t work 4 money u won’t knw it value..den u spend it as u lyk…[email protected] up u go..if u keep throwing stone @ every dog dat bark..u wil b on a spot…so dear live ur life d way u knw it pleases u..Baby J