News

Ladies! Would You Marry Yourself if You’re Still Single at Age 40?

BellaNaija.com

Yasmin ElebyShe loved herself so much that she put a ring on it herself – instead of waiting for a man!

Houston-based woman Yasmin Eleby decided to marry herself, as her 40th birthday was approaching, and there was no potential husband in sight, Madame Noire reports.

Eleby gave herself the elaborate wedding she’d always dreamed of as a birthday gift to herself.

The wedding was held on January 3rd 2015, at the Houston Museum of African American Culture. Her family, friends and loved ones attended, and she also had 10 bridesmaids. Three ministers presided over the ceremony.

ELEBY 2Eleby’s mother walked her down the aisle, and gave her away – not to a groom – but to herself.

The bride took to Facebook to express her gratitude to all the people who showed her love and support on her wedding day:

“I really don’t have the words to adequately describe the plethora of emotions that I’ve felt over the past few weeks, particularly on Saturday, January 3rd…I was overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support that was shown to me during my celebration of love and life…

I’m doing so many things that I only dreamed about and never thought would be possible. I want to encourage each of you to spread your wings and fly! You are not too old and it’s not too late to try something different, learn a new skill, travel to exciting places, etc…”

Eleby is also said to making honeymoon plans, and intends to visit Laos, Cambodia, and Dubai.

***

There have been mixed reactions about Eleby’s decision to marry herself. Some have described it as the ultimate declaration of self love, while others have called it a mockery of the marriage institution.

BellaNaijarians, what’s your take on this? Ladies, would you marry yourself if you’re still single at age 40? Let’s talk about it!

Photo Credit: madamenoire.com

1. Scared Homosapien

January 27, 2015 at 10:16 am

This is the height of HOPELESSNESS in one’s self.
    If she should tell herself the truth (i know it even if she doesn’t tell me), she is just doing that to console herself. Such Nonsense!

2. honey

January 27, 2015 at 10:19 am

Lolest!!!

Abi since all the guys no gree see am, she don see herself.

3. God's favorite

January 27, 2015 at 10:20 am

dis isn’t d first time a woman is marrying herself. well, woteva wrks for u. congratulations

4. bruno

January 27, 2015 at 10:23 am

orobo, you were looking for an excuse to eat an entire wedding cake by yourself. smh

• Miss_Flygerian

January 27, 2015 at 11:33 am

Lmao!!!!

• Anehibaby

March 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm

lol Awele… i see you boo

• Nahum

January 27, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Bruno, I don warn you tire…BEHAVE!!! lol sha

• onyii

January 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I swear this guy abu babe, ur just a nutcase…………lol, i wan die for laugh……….Chei!!!!!! Bruno leave me oooooh………

5. ada

January 27, 2015 at 10:25 am

Hehe! coming back for the comments. Ms Girl Spice I would like to hear your thoughts.

• imose

January 27, 2015 at 10:48 pm

lol @Ada i see the shading oo @ Ms girls spice 😀

6. Brown

January 27, 2015 at 10:34 am

This is a cry for help

7. Naijasinglegirl

January 27, 2015 at 10:36 am

No please. Because,
    I’d have to sentence myself to a life of masturbation which is disturbing since
    I’m not even into myself like that.

Visit naijasinglegirl.com

8. ralph

January 27, 2015 at 10:37 am

Well, it isn’t illegal is it? As long as she is happy, I just hope she is genuinely happy.

9. SAO

January 27, 2015 at 10:55 am

Bruno, quit cracking me up biko. But this is sad oh chaii. Look at the bridesmaids…….lol

10. Jennie

January 27, 2015 at 10:57 am

I think this is absolute madness, just because you are 40 does not mean no man will look your way. I have an aunt who wedded at 43 and its bin almost 10 years now and she is happy. Honey you should have stayed hopeful because within you, you know it makes no sense.

11. Palm Springs

January 27, 2015 at 11:01 am

This is just soo sad. She could have had a big party to celebrate her 40th birthday. It didn’t have to be a wedding…..quick question so she read her vows to herself……SMH…..I will not be surprise if this becomes a trend

12. missiey

January 27, 2015 at 11:17 am

Narcissism at its peak. The real Sue sylvester!
    Getting a ring was OK but the ministers and bridesmaid….gosh! She is trying to console herself. Whatever makes her happy feel better sha.

13. Hurperyearmie

January 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

This is so serious i feel for her

14. Dom

January 27, 2015 at 11:26 am

This is desperation at its peak!!! MARRYING HERSELF??? well i guess, loneliness is the worse feeling ever, but by marrying YOURSELF, are you sorting out the issue or making it worse., because that ring will always remind you how lonely and desperate you are. You can marry yourslef but you will definately need someone to have a baby, either direct contact or donor. Loll because as far as I am concerned, the miracle of ” she made a baby by herself” never happen ooo, well only with the virgin Mary in the Bible. It’s well, sha God is faithful he will bring your man soon as you took that step of faith, But you will need to sign the divorce paper to yourself though. loolll.

15. Miss_Flygerian

January 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

Odiegwu! This literally makes no sense.

16. deeva...

January 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

Hmm…weird world!! ladies have gotten married at 40+ years so she has no excuse for marrying herself. They’d better catch her and commit her to an institution before she does something even crazier.

17. spoonfullofsuagr

January 27, 2015 at 11:38 am

She did the wedding to prove a point that she was happy and content but nothing shows sadness than wedding yourself.

18. Nahum

January 27, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Whatever happened to just having a baby or adopting one and then enjoying your life with a string of boyfriends??? If I were hitting 40 and single, that is exactly what I will do. I will have sugar daddies and sugar sons and at the end of the day, I have my precious child. Why throw a pity party..opps..a wedding, for yourself?

19. Bella

January 27, 2015 at 12:02 pm

MY opinion. I’m sorry but this is the height of madness, total arrant nonsense! Who says marriage and 40 is the beginning and end of it all that you would marry yourself with all this drama to go with it? But then again, this life, it seems that things are no longer done by common sense! So before I start WW something, each to his own but in my family, they would give me a good talking to, talk less of attending such an event, Haba. This lady must stop all this and just go and enjoy her hard earned money in the honeymoon places there. Funny enough, if she does go and eventually finds someone there, will she then divorce herself? what will she tell the guy if he proposes? Will any normal man with 5 senses take this well, will any woman (tables turned) ! Abeg Looney things o! KMT

20. Metche

January 27, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Very unfortunate i must say. That means she has lost hope completely that no man will marry her. Supposing a man walked up to her now and decides to marry her, will she divorce her self? or rather if she wants to have children won’t she need a man? Just curios oo

21. Ponmo has no rival

January 27, 2015 at 12:51 pm

At this juncture, I just pray GOD takes control in her situation…cos I really feel for women and this marriage palava. I know of one lady, should be 40 already, she is pretty, very nice, very fun, generous, and yet she doesn’t even look 40,but none of the men are forthcoming.
    Its painful watching all your friends get married ,have kids, some are already calling you aunty and yet you are still rocking the “spinster” status, especially at that age !! Only GOD knows why some things are the way they are.

22. t1

January 27, 2015 at 2:05 pm

@bruno who are u on this earth. This are the signs of end time. We all need to be careful because it’s all for the fulfillment of God’s word.

23. Ibukun

January 27, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Foolishness in its highest order.

24. ACE

January 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Its sad. Not right at all,i pray she finds help

25. jcsgrl

January 27, 2015 at 2:48 pm

My heart goes out to her…wonder how the supposed honeymoon will go. I dont judge her. Desperation can lead us to do things we never thought we could. She seems to be a christian. Maybe if she knew how much Jesus the ultimate lover of her soul cares for her. She could get some fulfillment in being single. In my single days, I went out on date nights with Jesus. I will take my bible and go to parks or nice restaurants. People will look at me weird reading my bible and eating but I didnt care. I will be so immeresed in fellowship with the holyspirit. Since I got married, I have forsaken my first love. I miss those moments. God help me shaa. Ehrn back to my sister here, beloved he loves you so much with passion and jealously. Its not a mans type of love but it will leave you feeling adequate lacking nothing. Keep spending time in his presence and filling yourself up. Until you experience the Jesus kinda love, you will not know how to love or what love is. May God heal your heart and bring you to the end of yourself so you realise how much you need the only true love. God bless you

26. bruno

January 27, 2015 at 2:57 pm

why did they say she got married to her self. did she sign a marriage certificate, the answer is no.

she’s looking for attention. she’s pathetic.

this kind of news is just to grab people’s attention. how is it a marriage when there’s no marriage certificate. smh

some times i feel like im the only one that has sense on this blog.

• imose

January 27, 2015 at 10:52 pm

@Bruno no you are not ..we are many!!! 😀

27. manb4real

January 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Well, come to think of it, you are, really, CONGRATULATIONS, Yayyyyyyyyyy, happy now?

28. *Real* Nice Anon

January 27, 2015 at 4:31 pm

LOL! Y’all wilding!

29. Marie

January 27, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Bcus women think marriage is just about the ring. Ode.

30. Akua

January 28, 2015 at 1:28 am

She either has no faith or her faith is very little. I have seen women get married for the first time at age 50 and 55, so 40 is such an old. How could one marry herself? That is sickening and a mockery to me. She needs prayers and support if she has overcome this.

31. Tunmi

January 28, 2015 at 2:17 am

This is also her birthday celebration, and I like it. She has always had this wedding idea and she decides to do it at age 40, it’s self love but of course trust Nigerians to see the purpose of loving yourself as madness if a man is not involved (yes she said she’s marrying herself, isn’t that a symbol of love). And the honeymoon is a vacation, like any other. Madam, carry go jor. You are born alone, and you die alone. Have fun

32. Abby Sciuto

January 28, 2015 at 2:20 am

Yall judge too much…..who died and made yall God to be judging this lady like this eh?…na wa ooo.
    P.s. before yall start talking nonsense, idk who the heck she is abeg

33. vicky

January 29, 2015 at 10:25 am

This is a proof dat wonders shal realy neva end. D ways of men r realy foolish. kambishares.blogspot.in/2015/01/would-you-marry-yourself.html

34. Ayaayo

March 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I am sure she must have been dreaming of her wedding and decided to get over the dream, not continue to wallow in self pity and envy for those who have gotten married. She cannot come and die jare. DIY marriage, at least she’s being honest with her desire of marriage. If the man comes later, she can divorce herself and marry the man shikena. Marriage cert, honeymoon etc No need to use paracetamol for her headache.