News

Lagos Court Dissolves 8 Months Old Marriage over Mother-In-Law’s Constant Harassment

NAN

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????An Ikorodu Customary Court has today, Friday 23 January, dissolved an 8-month-old marriage over the constant harassment from the husband’s mother-in-law.

Following constant harassment of Mr. John Obah, 37, by his mother in-law, the Customary Court dissolved his eight-month-old marriage to Gift, 21.

John Obah, a trader, had approached the court asking to divorce his wife over allegations that his mother in-law always came with dangerous weapons to fight him each time they had misunderstanding. He also told the court that his wife did not sleep at home regularly as a house wife.

He said, “My wife often goes to her parents’ house and stay overnight for three times in a week. Anytime I have a misunderstanding with my wife, my mother in-law usually comes to fight me with dangerous weapons. I will be physically abused and my clothes torn by both of them; my mother in-law usually curses me that I will die like a fowl. Upon the incessant threat from my mother in-law, I changed the padlock to the house but they still came to burgle it. Anytime she demands for money and I don’t give it to her, her mother will come to insult me. Although our disputes were later settled by my father in-law but I don’t think I can cope with their continuous troublemaking.”

The estranged wife, and a mother of one, said her husband battered her so much that she usually runs to her parents’ house for safety.

She said, “He doesn’t even respect my parents and he has not been taking good care of me. I am no more interested in the marriage; I want to go back to school.”

The court’s President, Mr. Olu Adebiyi, in his judgment, granted the couple divorce and warned them to refrain from harassing and molesting each other.

He also said the petitioner should pay N5, 000 to the respondent for the monthly upkeep of their only six-month child and that the child should be in the custody of the mother. He also ordered the mother in-law to steer clear of the petitioner’s ways.

Photo Credit: Mocker | Dreamstime.com

1. Lina

January 23, 2015 at 5:21 pm

What is a 37 year old man doing marrying a 21 year old?? They have a 6 month old and have only been married for 8 months meaning this was probably a forced shotgun marriage. Why won’t the girl go home all the time? She probably didn’t want to be there in the first place and the mother in law is probably resentful that this old man has stolen her daughter’s youth

• tamuno

January 24, 2015 at 6:11 am

Is 37an oldman???

2. Tachy

January 23, 2015 at 5:24 pm

The rate at which marriages end in this country, you go fear.

3. @edDREAMZ

January 23, 2015 at 5:38 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Just eight month of marriage. The painfull part is that the little kid wont experience what is like to be a family….. This thing just reminded me of what john dumelo talked about today…..
    I wish them happy seperation though….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Nike

January 23, 2015 at 5:47 pm

It’s well with their soul

5. tunmi

January 23, 2015 at 5:55 pm

@Lina said all I wanted to say. BN, I absolutely love you for the images you guys choose. You guys know, you just must know the importance of an image and I absolutely thank you for it.

6. nii

January 23, 2015 at 6:01 pm

forced marriage u said? how is this forced? that, the guy is harassed by the 21yrs old’s mother or that the marriage lasted 8 months? anyways, i didn’t read any comments suggesting Solange knowles was forced to marry her 53yrs old husband.

• Lina

January 23, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Not forced as in tied and dragged, “coerced” would have been a better way to put it. You know, so as to not bring disgrace to her family. Solange had been dating Alan Ferguson for 5 years and wasn’t pregnant before getting married.

7. nii

January 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm

….and i know a 32yrs old woman who still runs to her parents anytime she gets issues with her man (who is 34 by the way).

8. imose

January 23, 2015 at 6:05 pm

5000 naira for monthly upkeep?? Really?? Hmmmm

• NIBU

January 23, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My sister don’t be in shock! This happened to my relative six years ago after her husband threw her out to marry his girlfriend. My aunt cried and we were always going to Yaba court to appeal the 5k upkeep but apparently the husband already bribed some court officials and my aunt didn’t have much money to bribe bcos she had just paid rent on a new flat after the man threw her out. My mum and everyone were so unhappy about the whole thing. I’m just glad my aunt had a job, if not…………………..
      I’m proud of the young lady in the story for wanting to go back to school.

• NIBU

January 23, 2015 at 8:53 pm

My aunt had two kids BTW, 5k for TWO KIDS!

9. DrkNite

January 23, 2015 at 6:06 pm

The joys of marriage. I bet the only knew each other for 10 minutes before marriage.

10. Nahum

January 23, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Silly MIL! Why would she threaten the father of her grandchild with a deadly weapon? The girl is too young, the man is foolish for marrying a girl not ready for marriage and MIL is crazy for escalating the already terrible situation. Yep, it’s better they go their separate ways. 5 k monthly upkeep though??? Ladies, please make sure you marry a guy legally. Customary marriages do not “werk”.

• tolu

January 25, 2015 at 1:41 am

It’s actually harder to get divorce when one is married under the Marriage Act. You cant even ask for a divorce for a marriage under a year (or 2-not sure) save exceptional circumstances. Plus, note that it’s the husband that asked for the divorce too.

11. bisola

January 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

This is terrible, unprepared marriage

12. highjay

January 23, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Been meaning to ask y dis kind of stories are always from that Ikorodu magistrate court??hian?

13. holla

January 23, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Na wa oo

14. asanwa

January 23, 2015 at 9:49 pm

It’s becoming very disheartening the rate at which courts are dissolving marriages and the reasons …..whatever happened to the sacredness and sanctity of marriage…before, u fix it if it is broken..now a days u just throw it away when there’s a little crack..

• Iris

January 24, 2015 at 12:21 am

Perhaps the bigger issue is that they are getting married without really thinking about how serious and demanding and difficult it can be.

• tunmi

January 24, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Or society is finally opening its eyes to the abuse in marriage. Should our forefathers and grandparents start telling the truth ehn. Women are realizing that they are human and they can be independent. Rather than bear the abuse (not all marriages but given Naija’s patriarchal and misogynistic society, it’s a lot) women are definitely creating other options for themselves.

15. Wifey

January 24, 2015 at 6:07 am

Marriage takes a lot of work. But when a man lays a hand on his wife…. its over. I’d rather be alive and divorced than dead from stress or beatings.

16. tamuno

January 24, 2015 at 6:12 am

Is 37 years man an old man.??.

• me

January 24, 2015 at 11:00 am

She didn’t say a 37-year OLD man, she meant a 37 year old man I.e. a man that is 37 years of age.

17. NSC

January 24, 2015 at 9:32 am

So many divorce cases these days. Where is the sanctity of marraige?

naijasportscrib.com/

18. Aprokoblog

January 24, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Once we ar 2gether nobody is allowed 2 cum in

19. Regina

January 24, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Bad mum

20. ada

January 26, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Actually she said the old man. @tamuno in this case yes the man is old. He was 2 years short of being an adult when the girl was born and although age might only be a number, the girl is clearly not matured enough for marriage.