News

How Powerful Is Your Passport? Infographic Lists Nigeria as Having One of the LEAST Powerful Passports

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????With a passport from the United States you have access to 172 other countries. With a passport from the United Kingdom you have access to 173 other countries.

With a passport from Nigeria you have access to 42 countries.

With a passport from Afghanistan you have access to 28 countries – making it the least powerful passport, according to this infographic map.

Recently Nigerian-born actor Dayo Okeniyi was excited to announce that he had become an American citizen and a few days before him footballer Mikel Obi announced his British citizenship – with this infographic it doesn’t seem strange that Nigerians work hard to get dual citizenship from other countries.

This infographic, put together by GOOD, shows countries (in a colour coded format) that have the most powerful passports and those that have the least, using their accessibility to other countries.

The darker the colour, the more freedom that country’s residents have to travel. Orange colours mean residents can visit fewer countries with their passports. How powerful is yours?

GOOD_Passports

Source: Huffington Post
Photo CreditBevangoldswain | Dreamstime.com

1. Nike

January 24, 2015 at 10:31 am

With my Nigerian passport all doors to nations of this world are opened for me,when I want to go to any country they have no option but to allow me…………..rhema gotten from my father pastor Chris oyakhilome phd.

• Jaj

January 24, 2015 at 11:23 am

OK till immigration see that green passport of yours. Why put the phd? Just asking

• Ella

January 24, 2015 at 11:40 am

Odiegwu!!! Na agholi onwe gi!!! In you DREAMS. My dear wake up to reality. It’s messed up, it’s messed up, there are no 2 ways about. Mtscheew

• LEX

May 26, 2015 at 4:50 am

HOW ARE YOU DOING

• Susan

January 25, 2015 at 1:35 am

I know. Nike good comment.
      The day p‎eople realise that dual citizenship or hustling to get a foreign passport, doesn’t translate to career, financial success, the better for them. Dangote doesn’t have a foreign passport or dual nationality but he can go wherever he wants to in the world today. I know many people that will go to school abroad, graduate and will stay back and do rickety jobs and live off their Parents (financially they’re not responsible for themselves), and would deceive themselves they’re staying there to get “work experience”, all in the name of getting passports. Total foolishness! I know people who are working as clerks, secretaries, candy stores, and even worse positions and they have good degrees, all for passports; and they don’t mind just cause of passports. Many people will be competent staying abroad for 10+ years, all in the name of getting passports, even if they’re not happy with their career. At the end of the day, I know many people who’ve passports and HARDLY travel or use it cause they don’t have the funds to go on vacations. Nigerians are shamelessly hungry and desperate; it’s sickening. They’re other Africans, Nigerian passports are even better than that of their home land, but they’re not overly crazy about passports like Nigerians. My point? Passports aren’t everything. And before anyone will say I’m saying bs, I have dual citizenship.  It doesn’t translate to automatic success. They’re more beneficial things in life than passports.

• Arrieana

January 25, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Thank GOD you already knew all you wrote down was bull crap.. Dual citizenship indeed. Abeg all man to his own, whatever rocks your boat!!

• Anonymous

January 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Arriena, on the other hand what you have said is the actual bull CRAP! You’re probably one of those people living in denial, you’d be alright.
      I actually read her comment and it got me thinking seriously, well said! You hit the nail on the head Susan. Thanks for your comment. I live in Toronto, food for thought for me today.

• Uyi

January 25, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Arrieana, that awkward moment when you’re the person saying bullcrap. Her comment is far from bullcrap. Such a hypocrite, you’re saying to each his own but you’re not allowing her have an opinion. That you don’t agree with her comment doesn’t make it bullcrap. In my opinion, her comment (although thought-provoking) is one of the intelligent comments I’ve read on the thread. I think the comment really hit you. I’m sending you e-hugs.‎

• Ada Nnewi

January 26, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Hi Susan, it’s easy for you to make such a comment cause you have dual citizenship so for you trying to get out of Nigeria when you need to, is as easy as ABC….I have dual citizenship as well so when people talk about all the visa stress they need to go through i don’t understand it but i sympathize with them ….The point i’m making is don’t judge them so harshly till you’ve walked a mile in their shoes….

• Susan

January 26, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Ada Nnewi, I think you need to go back and read my comment. I’m not judging harshly, I’m stating facts. That I’m saying they’re more beneficial things in life other than passports, means I’m judging harshly? :s
      Also, speak for the people you know, it’s not the same for everyone. I know many people that have just Nigerian passports and have no problems with visa applications, so long as they’ve provided adequate documentation required. My point was, there are other important areas in life to focus on. One shouldn’t say because of passports or visa, they won’t focus on their career and financial life, as well as other areas. Life doesn’t revolve solely on blue, red or burgundy passports. Passports doesn’t translate to automatic success and won’t put put money in your pocket or food on the table.
      Yeah, have a great week.

• Ada Nnewi

January 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Dear Susan, I understand you perfectly….If all your life you’ve been chaffeur driven, always had money in your account, never been broke, had three square meals a day plus desserts, gone on foreign holidays, you will never understand why that girl down the street who shared 1 BQ room with her parents and 6 other siblings, attended public schools in tattered uniforms and had only 1 square meal a day is willing to sleep with all and sundry just to own a car, by good clothes and have some money in the bank……..Judge Not…

• Susan

January 26, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Like I said, I’m not judging. If you read my comment well you’d see I was also talking to people who have the privilege of going abroad to school but stay back solely because of passports. I’m not judging and I maintain my stand that there are more important things in life than passports. That view will not change.
      I know too many people that have wasted their lives because of passports and “better life”. Today, nothing to show for it. One shouldn’t be so crazy about passports that they forget to grow in other areas of their lives. Passports are not everything, like I mentioned, it doesn’t put food on the table or money in your pocket, that right there isn’t judging; it’s a fact.

2. bruno

January 24, 2015 at 10:46 am

the worst thing in this life is to be a nigerian citizen. the nigerian passport is like a medal of shame or a cancer. immediately immigration from other countries see a nigerian passport, they sit up and become alert. god forbid. I can’t wait to be done with this foolish country for good.

• Kiky

January 24, 2015 at 11:05 am

Surely there are worse things than being Nigerian. E.g. Trapped in the ISIS madness, actually being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and being gay in Uganda. These are definitely worse.

• Seun

January 24, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I’m married to a European Union citizen but his co-worker just told him that this country doesn’t do dual citizenship. Hubby didn’t even bother to ask Naija-to-the-core me if I would consider dropping my green passport. He already knows. I guess the Naija love just runs so deep, I don’t mind the visa runs so much.

3. mrs chidukane

January 24, 2015 at 11:35 am

Hahahahaha @ Bruno. Sorry sha. Is that not why a BlackBerry contact put up a picture of her tiny baby clutching his American passport as if for dear life? Lololol! No be small thing oh

4. funmilayoo

January 24, 2015 at 11:43 am

So I have access to 42 countries! I no know. Asides the ECOWAS countries, what are the others. I need to tour. #excited

• bruno

January 24, 2015 at 1:02 pm

countries u dont need visa to enter, mali, gabon, chad, haiti,gambia, Burundi, just mentioning the names of these countries can put the fear of God into somebody. when ur going u better carry ur garri mixed with sugar and water cause food no dey many of these countries.

nigeria produces crude oil, are we not suppose to be friends with big countries (usa, canda,Australia etc) , instead we are friends with gabon, wetin go carry person go gabon.

• LotusFlower

January 24, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Chei! Bruno! This comment has me laughing for dear life. But really, is there anything wrong with Nigeria fostering relationships with those countries?

• jazzyj

January 24, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Lmaooooooooooooooooo

• ada nnewi

January 24, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Bruno ohhhhhhh!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

• Idomagirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:12 pm

LMAO!!!!

• Miss Kay

January 25, 2015 at 4:42 pm

this bruno guy is too funny abeg

• Authentic Sunsine

January 25, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Bruno ohhhhh ehhhh wetin person do you?. U ve just made me realise I had bladder incontinence. U ve killed me.

• Person

January 26, 2015 at 1:00 am

I know you are not here for the agreement but I almost died of laughter! And I agree with you on this issue. I was eating popocorn for real and you almost killed me…

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 9:50 am

HHAAAAAAAAA Chai!!! It is 2.49am my time and I am dieing of laughter!!! what a GREAT way to start my day.. THANKS BRUNO..

• imose

January 27, 2015 at 4:43 am

ROTFL 😀 Brunooo you will not keee me ooo with laughter!
      Those with dual passport should be thankful!!!

• MC

January 24, 2015 at 4:59 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, The Maldives and Barbados are on the list

• Fashionista

January 25, 2015 at 12:22 am

Yep! Went to Barbados two years ago on my Nigerian passport and I’ve also heard you don’t need one for the Maldives. Hence why it’s a popular honeymoon spot I guess, amongst other attractions.

• D

January 26, 2015 at 12:41 am

You actually do not visa to visit Seychelles and Turks and Caicos as well but these destinations like the Maldives are super expensive. Countries like those listed know if you are visiting them countries you are probably very successful where you are coming from so would not really need to stay put after vacation time is up.

5. Disguised

January 24, 2015 at 11:49 am

Hahahaha I Laff. I was on me way to North Carolina, and this lady in her 60 was getting searched like a thief and I checked she had a Nig passport. I felt sorry and upset for her Sha. The only time I show that green p is/would be on flights to Nig only. Nija step up please!!!!!

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 9:55 am

hahahaha lMao!!! tell me about.. I went to Australia and everything was going great, the line was flowing.. 3 folks before , the line got hectic lo and behold Nnija pali ( searching) in action chaii.. I died of laughter but it wasn’t funny. The custom dude was sitting and immediately he saw the “GREEN color”, he got tight and was standing on two feet ROTFLMAO.. I never had one and I planned to get one, my cousins jumped down my throat and said say ” Tufiakwa” hahah

• Olohi

January 26, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Why do you always type like an illiterate? You do realise that Nigeria isn’t the only country that has a green passport? I wonder if you really live in the States.

6. ks

January 24, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Kikikikikikiki, laughing in my native dialect! !! It is bad enough living in the western world as a black man or travelling there, and then u compound it with a Nigerian passport, a Nigerian passport with the imagine of ebola victims or Boko Haram insurgency running thru the minds of their immigration officers when they sight u. I mean who does that? ??? And I pray ur name is not anything like Abubakar, Abdul, Shehu etc. I always tuck my naija passport away when travelling. “God forbid bad thing”

7. ks

January 24, 2015 at 12:30 pm

So if u ever wondered why Mikel had to make public show of his newly -acquired British passport, or why ur senators, house of rep members or even govs are desperate, inspite of their wealth, to marry black Americans in order to acquire American passport, well now u know the primary motive, among other privileges that accrue to you when u have one!!

8. The girl who flies planes

January 24, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I have a Nigerian passport and even though it’s complicated. It puts the fear of God in immigration officers worldwide. They verify and verify till they are certain and then you get in.
    I have all the visas I want in this world and its not easy to get those visas. You must have money in your account before any country issues a visa to Nigerians. So when I show up @ the passport control of any country, they ask me why my passport is full of visas. They are always shocked that I have been round the world @ 28 and before you think my father is rich. NO! It is my own money!
    So the Nigerian passport does not limit you.
    #proudly Nigerian#

• Abi

January 24, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Bro trust me… u cant do nada with that passport..not even opening of an account….in Europe

• Someone_Special

January 24, 2015 at 5:34 pm

You just lied because I did open with my Nigerian Passport with Lloyds TSB and Halifax when I entered the UK in 2006. The issue in most cases has to do with the career of the passport and not the passport itself.

• Thatgidigirl

January 24, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Oh sharrap! My Lloyd’s and Barclay’s accs were opened with my nig passport. Its true you can travel around the world with a Nigerian passport but the process of getting those visas, visa fees, embarrassing delays at port of entry is just cumbersome.

• Opsy

January 26, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thats not true! I opened my account in England with my Nigerian passport!!!

• abi

January 24, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Yearite,i toured most part of the world with my naija pprt,and it was money talking and my ability to lie professionally,now I have a Canadian pprt wit hubby having British pprt.nomorelies

• Iris

January 25, 2015 at 6:34 am

Lie about what again? What do you need to lie about? Just follow the rules and if they are supposed to give it to you they will.
      This is not shocking news.

9. soso

January 24, 2015 at 1:14 pm

About 50% of the Nigerians I know in the UK are living here illegally. I always feel sad for them. They can’t get a decent job, they are always hopping from one cleaning job to another (or even factory job). + They avoid the police like a plague. Some of them don’t even have bank accounts because they don’t have documents, so they rely on sending money to Nigeria through friends that have papers and in the process some get duped. In fact too many touching stories, I can’t blame them sha if Nigeria was a decent country what will people be looking for in the UK?

• Karen

January 24, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Your response is true, my parent suffered like that aswell, but it wasn’t in vain. That parent has recieved his/her nationalisation so s/he is now a British citizen and also my siblings and I who were born and raised here have both British and Nigerian passports. It depends what people travel for, if it’s to gain another nationality…then hardship will endure but If it’s for work, nigeria seems to be really developing economically so perhaps there isn’t the need to leave anymore?

• miss me

January 25, 2015 at 2:33 am

50%? Mate you need to change your circle of acquaintances.

10. Green and Red

January 24, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Lol my mum told me a story recently, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Although my mum is Nigerian, she was born and raised in England, so she’s a british citizen. My dad is a Nigerian man to the core! Anyway, my dad sha managed to enter America for university and trust he over stayed his student visa. My parents met one faithful night at a party in california and they started dating. After a while my mum got pregnant. She told my dad and she said that he had to marry her because she was 28 and she wasn’t getting rid of the pregnancy. Apparently my dad just put his head in his hands and didn’t speak for like 5 minutes, and then all of a sudden he just said “you have british passport right?”. My mum was like “yeeaah, and?”. My dad – “ehn no wahala now, we’ll get married”. Within a month they were in the registry office smh. Lol but I am happy to report to you that a few years later my dad was granted his british citizenship. We don’t even live there but we all have the passport thanks to my mum. It also meant that we didn’t have to pay international fees when we went to university which is almost double the amount.

• Annonymous

January 24, 2015 at 3:25 pm

This is random but..

Did you parents ever preach no s.x before marriage? I was in my parents wedding picture and whenever I talk about s.x my mom always gives me the side eye and I give the side eye back lol…

Anyways.. Being that I have both blue and green passports, does this mean I have access to over 200 countries? thats cool because I’ve only been to about 10.. I need to get to flying!

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 10:00 am

lmao.. @ side eye

• www.hairmillionaire.blogspot.com

January 24, 2015 at 8:34 pm

lmao! I am weak!!! Its funny, and by the sounds of things, they are still together, so thank God for that!

• ada nnewi

January 24, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Rotflmao with tears flowing down my face….Your parents are comedy gold!!!Lmao!!!

• Person

January 26, 2015 at 1:04 am

I really need to stop eating this popcorn.. BellaNaijans haf killed me today…LMAO at ‘shebi you have British Passport’

11. ms.b

January 24, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Despite all these, I don’t see the craze for foreign nationality. If u r hardworking u can make it anywhere, I see a lot of broke Nigerians n ppl struggling who are American citizens here, and ppl back home who r doing soo well. Atyms ppl make it seem like wt d red or blue passport u automatically become a better person wt a fat bank accountant. I don’t see d craze tho, my family members wt d green passport r doing better than d1s wt d blue or green card, and not everybody wt a green passport find it difficult travelling, I knw ppl dat have never had issues wt visa or harrased. Well, as for me, ive never seen d craze!

• jejelove

January 24, 2015 at 6:05 pm

You forget peace of mind and access to better health care system.

• nwa nna

January 24, 2015 at 8:22 pm

@ms. B, keep sipping on that coolaid, and let the people that want better opportunities & quality of life pursue their foreign passport.

• Idomagirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Ms B is consoling herself like many Nigerians.

• Olohi

January 25, 2015 at 12:36 pm

No Idomagirl, she’s not consoling herself like many other Nigerians. She just believes there’s more to life than passports and isn’t crazy and desperate about passports like you and the likes. At the end of the day, success and happiness means different things to people, and passports probably aren’t on her list of happiness and success, sure they’re on your own list. ‎

• imose

January 27, 2015 at 4:49 am

• D

January 26, 2015 at 12:59 am

If you tell me that you are a Nigerian that travels with the green passport and have never been harassed then I say maybe just maybe you don’t know what harassment is. I have a sister is well traveled on our own dime too and she has had pages added and even has another stampled but harassment??? o yea she just tells you, you just come to accept it and she leaves ample time anytime she is leaving because she knows it is going to happen. When my hubby joined me although he had permanent residency here in the US, this dude in the UK told us he was profiling us and did not even bother sugar coating it. That was with him travelling with me with my blue pali and we were returning Stateside. My hubby refused to go on vacation again until he got his Blue passport. Now I am not saying blue pali makes anyone more successful or the green makes you less and this article sure does not portray that. All it says is that you have less of an hassle visiting many countries with certain passports than you would with others. But like I told my hubby when I was considering taking a job in Iraq that one na green pali I go carry go there before IS come kidnap me. No one go kidnap 9ja citizens so for that reason amongst many others I will maintain my green pali.

• Exquisite

January 26, 2015 at 6:35 am

Why will anyone go to Iraq?!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 26, 2015 at 3:35 pm

@Exquisite, mainly for the mula. I don’t know what D’s own field is but Engineers who get asked to work over there are usually recruited on the kind of pay packages you can only dream of. High Risk = very lucrative salaries.

@D, I didn’t think Nigerian passports were honored in the UAE. Of course, I know a few people who have white collar jobs in Dubai, using their Nigerian passports but my impression of the region was that the further inwards you go (to Abu Dhabi, Qatar, etc.) the more difficult it is to get a job as an expat without having a passport from a Western country.

To give my own answer to a few comments on the general thread, questioning why Nigerians stay back for the passport hustle. I don’t know about people in other industries but I can say for a fact that the ones I know who work in the hydrocarbons industry, invest in that red pali so that they can move to other oil&gas regions of the world. And a huge number of them end up in the Middle East. Have you ever heard of what Saudi Aramco pays its staff?? My people, there’s a good reason why Saudi Arabia isn’t flinching with the oil price being what it is today – I mean, that country must be literally worth the weight of its entire land mass in gold. And there are companies in Kuwait, Qatar, Oman and Abu Dhabi offering crazy money as well. The catch is, the offer’s more of a sure thing when you have a British passport.

Outside the Middle East, there are opportunities to get transferred to currently busy regions such as Algeria, Angola, Kahzistan (have I spelt that right) and I even know an engineer who impatiently awaited his Britico passport so that he could go and explore the emerging opportunities which fracking has brought within the United States. Oh and Canada as well. Lots of work going on in Alaska right now, with the Shells and ConocPhillips of this world trying to carve out their hydrocarbons share from beneath all that ice…

In summary, the red passport takes you a lot closer to the oil than the green (unless you’re planning to return home for opportunities there, in which case, the reverse will apply).

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 26, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Dammit! “Kazakhstan”… It’s true how they say that Google’s not your enemy 😐

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 10:05 am

@ Ms. B have U ever heard of retirement? 41k? great government jobs, free school fees ( F.aid, scholarship, etc) Jobs, you get a sign in bonus($$$$) I LOVE my life.. Thanks to mom and dad for my Red and Blue :).. 991 response at the snap of your finger? Please stop stop hating and pray God bless U to upgrade from ” VISA APPLICATION”. waste of time, waste of money, waste of energy.. Ain’t body got time for that..

• Anonymous

January 26, 2015 at 1:08 pm

She’s not hating. “Upgrade” because of visa application? You do realise that so many people’s lives do not revolve only around passports?

12. ifepe nnennia

January 24, 2015 at 4:31 pm

American or british passport does not gurantee fat account and it does not mean that you re better than those in nigeria.infact most people in nigeria re far better than their counter parts in the western world.I did my masters in the UK and life there is not as rosy as people think.majority of black people re suffering and when they come home they pretend like they have the whole world.my nationality has nothing to do with God’s divine plan for my life.with good money in your account you can trave to anywhere in the world.apart from Ecowas countries,which other countries can a nigerian have acess to without a visa

• tunmi

January 24, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Thank you for translating @ms.b’s comment. @ms.b no vex but it really was painful to read

• nwa nna

January 24, 2015 at 8:17 pm

@fepe nnennia, did you say most people in Nigeria are far better than Nigerians in diaspora? You my friend might have a great case of Grandeur delusion. The quality of life in Nigeria is horrible, please don’t try to tell me no where like home because I ain’t buying it.
      I travel internationally and have seen on many occasions how Nigerian passport holders are profiled/ harassed by immigration agents at airports around the world and it ain’t pretty.

• Jen

January 25, 2015 at 1:44 am

Yes, he/she is right. The people in Nigeria live FAR BETTER than people in disapora, it’s a fact! Yes, Nigeria isn’t where it’s supposed to be right now, but people there, at least 75% of them live WAY BETTER than people in diaspora, it’s a damn fact and you’d have to deal with it. You can decide to deceive yourself and live in denial; but that’s the gospel.

• Jen

January 25, 2015 at 1:45 am

That Nigerian passports holders are “embarrassed” when you travel, doesn’t mean the Nigerians back home don’t live better than the Nigerians in diaspora. I’m sorry but your facts aren’t making sense.

13. Anjiesmum

January 24, 2015 at 5:09 pm

it is so true, i think people are missing the point here its not about getting visas or living in the UK, its about the respect or lack of generated by your passport.

14. Nma

January 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Lol. Canada is my dream country and m looking for a reliable immigration expert .

• Grace E

January 25, 2015 at 1:09 am

@Nma…LOL when cold finish u, u will wake up from that dream…Canada cold no be small… January one week alone -21, -27, -30 etc..some places sef -40…shuoo

all the best tho

• Shandi

January 25, 2015 at 1:52 am

Canada? I’m sorry for you. LOL! I live in Canada, and I was born here but I’m originally from Cameroon. Wow, I pity you. Many Nigerians are here and are struggling like there’s no tomorrow, they come here on BN, see pictures of Nigerians living the life and leave hateful comments, oh yes I have many Nigerians friends who do that; I really don’t get it. I’m here cause I have a great job, plus I’m moving home in a few yards anyway. My whole family is back home and doing amazingly well. If you’re living anywhere in the western world, and you can’t pay your bills, you don’t earn enough to save, you have to rely on credits cards to survive; my advise is that you’re wasting your time and you should go back home before its too late. It’s easy to get passports here compared to the US and UK, but financial freedom? That’s a story for another day. Don’t waste your time!

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 10:11 am

There is milk and honey there and why will anyone not take advantage of it?? lazy folks suffer and rely on C. cards especially when U have the right documents. folks just wanna belong and live above there means. flashy cars, designers for abroad?? mtchew who dey send U??? Work hard, U will gain it..

• Lee

January 26, 2015 at 1:13 pm

ATL finest, did you actually read her comment before replying? What are you saying, what is she saying?
      I have never read a reasonable comment from you on BN. You’re off from what she meant, I don’t even understand you. Some of you are so defensive, “guilty”, and rude that you forget to read and understand, before replying.

• Lee

January 26, 2015 at 1:25 pm

ATL finest, And if you’re logical you’d know not all of them that use credit cards are lazy, some are very hardworking but have no choice. Work from morning till night, and years, nothing to show for it. And you’re saying they’re lazy? You chat so much bs, America hasn’t really rubbed off on you darling. I’m not sure if it’s Atlanta you went to or Ojota.

15. jejelove

January 24, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Nigeria is better in terms of making quick money (egunje style). In Canada you can still make good money if you work hard. We aren’t doing bad here bro!

• hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

January 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm

And what is the value of money if you do not have access to the basics of life? What is money if life is not valued around you? What is money if you cannot get a proper diagnosis when you are ill? What is money when everyone around you is envious of the small change you have? Wealth is being able to live your best life even as an average Joe

• Mary

January 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Your comment is shallow. So it’s only Nigeria where everyone is “jealous of the small change you have”? Some of you need to really invest in better brains. I actually cannot believe someone type something so silly. Wow!

• Mary

January 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Typed*******

16. ks

January 24, 2015 at 6:16 pm

@Nma the best way to enter canada now is thru studies – get admission to a university. It makes stay faster and easier than going thru skilled migrant option which takes forever. If u r interested I can connect u with a university lecturer there who can help u get 50-100% scholarship. Canada is in need of skilled people
    U don’t need an immigration at this stage u only need to get a university admission.

• dk

January 24, 2015 at 10:17 pm

His. Please I would like more info on the school and the lecturer. I’m seriously looking into studying in Canada. Please and thank you

• BlueEyed

January 25, 2015 at 9:03 am

I need that Canada contact for one of my cousins please, a bright boy and I would really love to him please.

• BlueEyed

January 25, 2015 at 9:05 am

Help**

• Person

January 26, 2015 at 1:06 am

Please, nne, help me too o! My brother is still in Nigeria.

17. Ada

January 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Its not even about getting visa, but respect and peace of mind! If I waka go Timbuktu and God forbid I lose all my money. I can contact US consulate in Mali, and they will loan me money to buy a ticket home ASAP. It doesnt matter the amount, they will provide it, and then I will have to pay them back when I come back to the US (or I cant travel again on my passport).
    If I was in Liberia during this Ebola crisis and contracted it, they would bend over backwards to get me back into the US.
    If I BH decides to go crazy, and my pops is in Abuja, as a US citizen, if they are evacuating, they will remove him.
    If I am stranded, all I need is the nearby US consulate/embassy’s number. I register with the Dept of state even when traveling to Naija o! That way they have all my information, and it makes it easy to help me out if need arises.

Its about the value of human life.

Thats why so many Nigerians in the past 10 years are doing anything possible to go and have their baby in Yankee.

So again for those stating people are doing better in Naija, that is obviously so, but its not even about that. If you are seriously sick in Lagos, and need urgent care that can only be provided outside Naija, your people will be running around trying to raise the money (we are talking N20-30m). The person with the passport of US/UK/Canada and the likes, is contacting their consulate/embassy, and will be evacuated immediately! Look at the Naija celebs that are dying at home, or raising money to go to India for transplant!
    “Me I love my kontri, I love the land and people…” but make I talk am!

• Idomagirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:18 pm

One of the few who understand the importance of correct citizenship. Well said, maybe all the ‘you can still make money in Nigeria’ people will get the point.

• Grace E

January 25, 2015 at 1:16 am

@Ada eziogu oh…u hit the nail on the head…ebano!!!!naija is just every man for himself because the government does not even care..these other countries the government care enough t provide at least basic necessities even though they are not perfect

• Olanma

January 25, 2015 at 10:53 am

Canada? Are you joking?
      You do not know what you’re saying. And I have a Canadian passport. You guys are so crazy about passports and you believe complete crap that it makes it so hard for many of you to succeed in other important areas of your life. That’s how people say high school is totally free if you’re a citizen or health care, it is NOT totally free. When my siblings and I, as well as many people I know we’re in high school, we paid bits of it; it’s not totally free. Many of the benefits you people list are just detailed in paper and it ends there. Canada for example is one country where many Nigerians would go to for education and remain there with pathetic jobs, very unhappy, all for passports. Is that what life is really about? Are passports all there is to life? You all need to wake up from your silliness.
      My friend after graduating stayed here doing a pathetic job for 3 years, with a good degree, she couldn’t even pay her rent without her Parents assistance, all for passports and you tell me passports are everything? When she was tired of deceiving herself, she packed her bags and went home. Passports are not everything, I know many people that have passports like me and have never used it to travel, why? Because they don’t have no money for that. Many of these benefits you see are just on paper and most of them aren’t actualised. That’s why I feel absolutely sorry for people travelling out for a “better life”. After a while, your eyes will clear. What’s the point of struggling for passports when you can’t pay your rent, you’re not happy then when you see your mates doing better back home, you feel bad and hate as a result, you don’t make enough to safe, some people will lose loved ones and won’t be able to go home cause they have no money to pay for tickets, you live in debt, you’d stay outside for many years for a “better life” and “greener pastures” and MANY people still use student loans cause they still can’t fund their education, etc, and some people will open their mouths and say passports? Better life indeed. Sorry for you guys.

• Olanma

January 25, 2015 at 10:55 am

Save*

• mo

January 25, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Yes, i got student loan to go to nursing school but I am having a good time of my life as a nurse. What did my free HND got me before I left naija nothing but depression. Living in US has taught me you can be anything if u are determined. If you have the opportunity to leave naija good for u leave but be focus.

• Exquisite

January 26, 2015 at 6:37 am

Lol, mo and I’m sure you’ve not paid back your student loan like most people. So many people are never able to pay back. Enjoy your “better life”. 🙂

• Nneoma

January 26, 2015 at 7:57 am

No offense Mo oh, but I get what she’s saying and it’s the fact. Have you actually paid back your loan? Sincere question. I was born in America by chance, in the sense that My Mom was working in an exploration company in PH, she had to go for a short official course (6 months) and at the time they only gave maternal leaves after you’ve had the baby. She complained but she had to go and she was to have me in Lagos after he course was over but I came 2 months earlier. And we went back to PH thereafter. It wasn’t until I was 16 or so I took the passport. Long story, I have family friends who’ve used the student loads and haven’t been able to pay back. Also, I have friends in Canada that take student loans, cannot pay on time, then it accumulates. I get her point though. If you’ve gone away for many years for a better life, you’d think you’d be able to pay for the basic things. You take a loan you cannot pay for, you can’t save, you can’t do nothing. Some people are born into debt, some people die in debt. If you live in the western world and you are true to yourself and you know you’re okay, fine, if not hmm mm. I know people that live a fake life on social media to impress their friends doing better than them back home. I mean one time a Pastor was preaching in Toronto one time I visited my cousin and he said in his office before he got out to preach he looked outside and thought about where his life is and how it’ll have been if he was in Nigeria and how his mates are doing well. The depression is real, some people only cover it up by hating. Passports might be good, might, it however doesn’t give you happiness, financial freedom and it doesn’t put food on the table.

• Nneoma

January 26, 2015 at 8:00 am

And I took it only when I was going to college just so I don’t pay international fees. I’m back home.

• Adwoa

January 25, 2015 at 11:04 am

Ada,
      Really? The same way Patrick Sawyerr, the American citizen from Liberia was evacuated by the US and assisted when he had Ebola? Some of you, senseless and being unrealistic is an understatement to describe you. I know I don’t need to insult but I don’t understand how some of you reason. I really do not.

• Grace E

January 25, 2015 at 3:17 pm

LMAO @Adwoa chale why so mad?that is Ada’s opinion and if u think and reason carefully, she is right to some extent

• Adwoa

January 25, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Mad? If you think I’m mad by that comment then you have serious issues. Mad? How can you even get mad from that comment?
      Madam, that also was my own opinion. Bye girl.

• Dee

January 25, 2015 at 10:12 pm

@Adwoa, ok I try not to comment here but for you I must.

On a different day, when you’ve had a coke and a smile, come back and read your comments. Sister, you don’t only sound mad, you sound bitter as bile!

• Nneoma

January 26, 2015 at 6:51 am

Dee and you sound as stupid as hell! You don’t even need a coke, you need a psychologist. The Adwoa babe has said the truth. Some of you are too blind and gullible to be reasonable and see things as they really are. What about Patrick now? Smh. You should have continued not commenting cause you made absolutely no sense in that comment.

• ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 10:16 am

@ Ada GOD bless U.. when my mom was explaining the benefit of these p.port, she said my dear if U are in deep wahala in another part of the world, all U need too locate the American flag and U are saved meaning as long as I can step my foot in American embassy, I am GUCCI…

• Ayo

January 26, 2015 at 2:39 pm

The same way Sawyerr was Gucci? Seriously be realistic. Not only Gucci, Versace.

18. Ify

January 24, 2015 at 9:42 pm

If Muna Obiekwe was living in de UK, de chances of his premature death would have been prevented with good medical health care.

• Idomagirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:18 pm

True. Like so many others.

• Olanma

January 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

Please stop being irrational. Many people die in the UK and US, and many other countries because of different ailments, do you think the “good medical health care” is totally free? You’re a learner. The issue was financial not necessarily the health care. Be reasonable and don’t bring a sensitive topic like Muna’s death into a matter like this. I’m not sure I understand why many of you are ridiculously mindless .

• mo

January 25, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Yes, if Muna was in US. He will qualify for medicaid for kidney failure patient. All his dialysis will be free. I know bcos I am a nurse. He won’t pay a dime. If you have a good job in US u will live a good, quality life.

• Olanma

January 25, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Madam nurse, can you read and comprehend at all? Muna’s issue wasn’t a fault in medical care, it allegedly had to do with finance. And please, I don’t care if you’re a surgeon, NOT everyone has it free. What are you saying? So in all of America it’s free for those patients? Are you kidding me right now? Don’t even get me started on that. That’s how people say free high school fees, but people still have to pay at least, a little of it. Nothing is entirely free.
      You guys should have an ounce of sense and not bring his death into this.

19. Idomagirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Who needs an infographic to tell them how weak our passport is?

20. Disguised

January 25, 2015 at 1:35 am

Not everyone abroad is suffering o. Majority have good jobs. Get ur facts right. @Ada, u talk am well well well. U can travel anywhere with peace of mind that you will get help when needed. Go to the Nigerian House in London, It’s like a market place. If you need help, you would not know where to start. And of course u have to know someone inside…..

• Mayowa

January 25, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Not everyone abroad is suffering, but majority do NOT have good jobs. That’s a complete lie, I’m sorry. And I know this cause I’ve spent years (due to My Dad always being transferred) in America, Canada and the UK. Majority of them are struggling. The few doing well are those that have businesses back home. I have never seen a Nigerian immigrant in any of the three countries who are financially stable or who can even pay for their student fees without OSAP or student loan. Majority have good jobs bawo? Please. You spend so long abroad for a better life (indeed) and you can’t do the basic things and that’s okay because of passports? Stupidity of the highest order.

• DAMMY

January 25, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I dont agree with you. I have cousins and family friends who are doing exceptionally well in the US with no businesses in nigeria.

• Nneoma

January 26, 2015 at 6:49 am

Yes, but it’s not majority. He/She didn’t say they’re not doing well, he/she just stated not majority.

21. Dee

January 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

What we should be discussing is why our passport is so bad. It is because so many Nigerians travel for dubious reasons and they commit crimes where they go. You collect visa for holiday or student next thing you get there and do scam marriage ! You don’t declare that you are pregnant and you want to have your child in the country when you are applying for visas! You have the child and you run away without paying your bills! You travel and go and spoil their country with yahoo yahoo and drugs! Recently a Nigerian woman was caught for using someone else’s NSH and she registered her baby as a British citizen using another persons name!

Truth is the government is not the only bad part about Nigeria, it’s also we the people. A lot of the people who have travelled abroad have ruined the chances of others with genuine intentions because of their shadiness . When we stop doing shady things in other peoples countries , people will start to respect our passport.

• Mayowa

January 25, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Are you even minding them? They like to blame everything on the government and will never take responsibility. They’re other African countries that Nigeria is better than, but their citizens aren’t crazy and desperate about passports like Nigerians. Some Nigerians are so desperate for passports, they’ll forfeit their careers, happiness and financial freedom for it.

22. Missbeeceegee

January 25, 2015 at 2:24 pm

So this is my first time commenting on this website, I am usually one to read and amuse myself with people’s comments but a recent conversation I had with a German and Greek friend of mine was in line with this article hence I felt the need to comment. First of all I have been studying and living abroad since 2009 and have had the opportunity to travel to different countries during this time, this conversation was about our individual plans for future. My Greek friend wants to stay in the UK due to the current economic situation in his country, my German friend is still undecided on where to settle but not bothered because she has the freedom to stay wherever she wanted in the EU and then there was me, I said I intend going back to my country after my graduation to start my career and their response was “don’t you want to stay here and become a British citizen”. My response was no, I told them I believe and have very strong conviction that I would be great one day, that I will make an impact in my generation and people all round the world will hear of me and when that time comes I want to be referred to as a NIGERIAN not a British Nigerian or American Nigerian just a Nigerian. Now I am not saying that it is wrong to acquire other citizenships but I want to be like the OKonjo Iweala’s, the Aliko Dangote’s, the Wole Soyinka’s who regardless of the colour of their passports have earned the respect of standing in the same room with the Bill Gate’s and Richard Branson’s of the world where these people see them as equals not based on the colour of their passports. In my opinion we all have the capacity in us to develop ourselves to the level whereto colour of our passport becomes irrelevant because of our achievements in life. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long speech xx

• Olanma

January 25, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Sweetie, your comment: fantastic! #ThumbsUp.

• May Kay

January 25, 2015 at 8:27 pm

@Missbeeceegee, while you are wanting to gain respect like the Dangote’s, who is paying your school fees, your house rent, giving you money for keke to go look for jobs? Shey it is Dangote, abi bill gates. Your parents better be mad rich. It is only when you have options that you get choosey. Look, if you’ve ever been in a situation where you struggle to eat once a day, you won’t be looking to gain respect as such of the Dangote’s. You won’t even be bothered by or know why they are well known. You however will jump, gracefully, at the opportunity to be a resident or citizen of a country like the US where the government would still feed you if you are unable to afford it. Being a resident/citizen of the US, or UK is a privilledge if you are not rich. Period! Nigeria is blessed but nobody cares about you if are poor. You will struggle to eat, gain better healthcare, part job (even the struggling jobs you can find in the US without papers)

• Missbeeceegee

January 25, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Madam no need to get all hot tempered about the issue, who says it’s all jolly and beautiful if you are poor in these developed countries? You think just because one is an American or British citizen it shields you from poverty, hunger, homelessness and joblessness? My point was regardless of where you are in the world and whatever passport you possess it is possible to rise above the limitations that our environment poses to us. I am of the opinion that I would rather live and struggle in my country to make a name for myself than in a foreign land. Ps I have travelled to more than 20 countries and I still believe the opportunities in Africa are endless. And oh by the way the school fees and maintenance is paid for by scholarships obtained by MERIT!!!!

• RIFF RAFF

January 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm

And it shall be done according to your faith….God bless u tremendously.

23. Nana

January 25, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Many Nigerians mAaking waves in Nigerian ll never make so much in developed nation where there r rules n regulation that u must follow

• Mary

January 25, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I still don’t get the basis for your comment.

24. ochiaku

January 25, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Ewo nwanne m ohh!!! See as people are mentioning number of countries they have been to and how having an international passport does wonders. Hiaan! Ooh!!
    Am 25 oh! I earn better than some people abroad and yet I don’t even know where seme border is. I have an uncle who abandoned his new job at Mobil and went abroad for greener pastures. Today he sells newspapers in London, 50 and no family of his own. But he finally got a passport. Mtchewww! Ewu no 1!
    To travel out is good oh but as a proud nwada igbo that I am, when I start to travel(just for holidays and to close lucrative deals), it would be on my Nigerian passport. Am going to contribute in upholding my dear Nation high. International passport ri kwa n** ebe ahu.

• HiddenGoldfish

January 26, 2015 at 10:12 am

LMAOOOO

25. ks

January 25, 2015 at 8:08 pm

@missbeeceegee. If those three guys are the basis for your conviction then u need to think again. Okonjo iweala trained all her kids in Harvard (the same school she herself attended) and I am not sure any of the kids is here with us. Soyinka is a Nobel laureate and with diplomatic passport the world opens the gate wherever he goes. Theye are special breeds in Nigeria because the super powers validate them, not because Nigeria made them. Okonjo iweala came from the world bank to bamboozle us with economic theory, now we know better. Soyinka is a threat to any govt in Nigeria from time immemorial because when he coughs the world catches cold, the rest of the world made him not Nigeria. As for Dangote he reaps from imperfections in the Nigeria system. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying u shouldnt be patriotic but whatever u can take from the western world, take it. See it as your repatriation. The more you can take the better for you to assuage the yrs of suffering of our forefathers in slavery. I am a Nigerian to the core but I believe the western world owes me too. So with their passport in my hand I can LEGITIMATELY curry favour and privileges I would otherwise not have been entitled to. “Don’t do for your self whatever anyone can do for u” Turn them to your cat-paws to fish out the chestnut. That’s my strategy with them. And to be honest it works like magic. And for everyone here running down others with foreign passport, there is nothing wrong in having it. It doesn’t solve all your problems just as lack of it doesn’t make u better either. Have a purpose for having and then know that it is not an answer to all your problem but having it will surely solve some of them without adding more.

• Missbeeceegee

January 25, 2015 at 9:20 pm

My point being where did Okonjo Iweala herself start from? Did she not have the opportunity to become a citizen of one of these countries she has worked in? How did Wole Soyinka become a Nobel Laureate? Was it not by hard work? All I am saying is that regardless of what they are doing or have done Dangote is the richest man in Africa and still holds his Nigerian citizenship. I never said it was wrong to try and become a citizen of one of these developed countries all I am saying is that I am prepared to work hard and make a difference in my generation and when the time comes I want to be identified as a Nigerian, now that is my opinion about myself and nobody else, everyone has the right to decide where and how they want to live their lives that’s all.

26. ks

January 25, 2015 at 8:31 pm

The irony in most of the posts and comments here is that I won’t be surprised if most people showing utter disdain towards foreign passport are the same people who have been bounced several times at uk , us and Canadian embassies in Nigeria. It is the natural inclination of man to show contempt for what he can’t have , to despise it. It is borne out of eenvy.”Of all the disorders of the soul, envy is the only one that no one confesses to” – Plutarch C.A.D 45-120

• Nneoma

January 26, 2015 at 6:46 am

Funny thing is, they’re not showing disdain. Why will anything envy non-accomplishment over a passport? Most of this people showing “didain” are passport holders. Passports aren’t everything. At all!

• Lindiwe

January 26, 2015 at 8:21 am

KS, most of the people commenting have passports. It’s good to be truthful to oneself. One can’t say they won’t say the truth just cause one has another passport. Utter disdain? I live in Houston and I’d be lying to myself if I say people in diaspora are doing better or if the blue passport automatically pays my bills. I’m not even Nigerian but I agree with everyone saying passports aren’t everything. It truly isn’t. My Dad has always told me not to be so absorbed about citizenship/passport that I forget about other crucial areas of of my life. The passports might be good, maybe, but it doesn’t pay bills, it doesn’t do a lot of other things. It really doesn’t. But I must say out of all Africans (pardon me), Nigerians will have to be the most obsessed about passports. Like most think it’s an automatic entry to success. Not at all.

27. leverkusen

January 25, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Different people with different thought on this topic, which are great. people travel abroad for different reason and desire in life. i moved to the UK about 10 yrs ago for postgraduate degree and after which i started working as an engineer here and also pursuing dual citizenship as i have desire to work in different part of the world. After securing the 2nd passport, i moved job to work for an international firm, which means i’m able to use the passport to travel around on official and non-official duties without waiting for my company to procure visas for my Nigerian passport. I’m proud to be a Nigerian anywhere in the world as this makes me who i am. however, i have been displeased by the way Nigerian govt doesn’t value the life and care of its citizens. i recently lost 3 of my Nigerian old uni. mate to simple sicknesses and unproven doctors. These are colleagues working with a very good firm in Lagos and and doing very well, but were killed by lack of good medical care. I love Nigeria but will do whatever it takes to have good health even if i don’t have any money in bank account somwehere. In conclusion, one can do very well in Nigeria or out of Nigeria with or without foreign passport so far there’s desire, which i believe most Nigerian have.

28. mo

January 25, 2015 at 10:58 pm

@olanwa or whatever u call yourself go back to naija cos I can see Canada have nothing to offer u. U are just pained for nothing. I know your type. Pls pack your baggage and go back home and see the difference. Silly ass

• Exquisite

January 26, 2015 at 6:44 am

LOL! Are you one of the people she was referring to? Babe was saying the gospel! On the other hand you can stay wherever you are, deceive yourself and enjoy “better life”. Smh.

• Lee

January 26, 2015 at 8:31 am

Mo, please type English.

29. ks

January 26, 2015 at 12:07 am

Since people continue to talk about this let me just make this point. No matter the number of passport(s) u have ( even if you have us uk and Canada and top them all with nigerian passport) they are nothing but a piece of paper if you can’t figure out the best benefit to extract from them. I went to secondary schl during awolowo free education in the early 80s. Everything was free including health care. I went federsl arts and science where lunch was frer in this same nigeria in mid 80s. No one talked about private schl then except the privileged few in corona. Today people pay thru their nose to put their kids in private schl. Greenspring schl in Anthony charges as much as 1.1 million on a 7yrs old!! I have friends who have kids there. Medicare us not cheap in Nigeria unless u want to risk going to Luth. In england education for kids is free till age 16 u don’t pay kobo, the same for canafa. Ditto for healthCare. I know what my friends go thru to raise their kids school fees in Nigeria bcos govt schls are not the option. If u doubt me go to British inter schl, Atlantic hall, day waterman, the Grange, Dowen the list is endless, even the so called church schls!! Of course it easy when u have a job. Problems sets in when u lose ur job. U can only appreciate this point if you are jobless and you have kids in schl in Nigeria and u have to raise fees in Jan yrly. People sell their shares and house to raise some of the fees – corruption everywhere. The truth of the matter is some of these social and economic pressures are killing people daily. Blood pressure on the increase, diabetes with consequences of kidney, heart failures on the increase. So if you are still looking for money to go on holiday, feeding only ur mouth, buying designer shirts and probably still living off someone then u can’t relate with what I am saying. Smart people crave for foreign passport out of necessity. Most of the private schls where parents pay million in lagos are not better than a public school in good locations in England , us canada or Australia. In fact people pay millions in nigeria and the kids end up in public school for A/level in engalnd as FOREIGN STUDENTS b4 university. The irony of it is the HOME students inEngland attending the same A/ level class pays nothing. We are where we are bcos successive govts in nigeria has failed us But life must continue. So what u do with foreign passport is all that matters in the final analysis, far more than other cosmetics of having it for show off. It shouldn’t turn u to a lazy bone. It only means that if you work hard what you can do with N20 with let’s say uk passport or Canadian passport your counterpart without the same privilege in Nigeria will have to work and earn N200-500 to be at par with u. That’s just one of the few benefits .

• *Real* Nice Anon

January 26, 2015 at 4:11 am

Actually I wonder if the educational system failed you because it is extremely difficult to articulate whatever it is you’re on about. Say what now?

30. *Real* Nice Anon

January 26, 2015 at 4:21 am

Some of you are speaking from such a spiteful place. Your spite is showing so fix up! Go and “on” the gen osiso!

• Ayo

January 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm

And your point? You really are shallow.

31. ada

January 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm

@nurse mo, you really seem upset however you forgot to answer if you have paid your student loan.

32. dede

September 27, 2015 at 5:28 pm

To me with Nigeria passport and in abroad you will long way to go even if you are a minister sibling and that is for facts..