Music

Lami Phillips: Dear Woman, 10/10 you are Not Better than Her…Build Up, Don’t Tear Down

BellaNaija.com

LamiSinger Lami Phillips has a message for her fellow women this morning.

Using her Instagram page as a platform to share her thoughts, she captioned a picture she posted this morning with a letter to women.

She states, ‘Dear woman…10/10 you are not better than her. If you were you would find a way to build her up not tear her down. You bless yourself in doing so because you are reminded of your own imperfections. If you pull her down, you are behind her.. Because those ahead have no time or space for negativity…Their time is way too valuable to stop and be spiteful. If they do take time to criticize its always to build up and to learn. Note to self and all; you are not perfect and before you take time out to kill another woman’s vibe remember to ask yourself:” what does this have to do with me”? “Does she give two shakes of a camel toe about my opinion”? “Am i perfect”? *sips tea (bloody diet doesn’t allow coffee)* Good morning! #complimentHERcampaign#celebratingwomen #buildupdontteardown

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. mrs chidukane

January 14, 2015 at 10:22 am

Oh Chim oh. All these essays cos of one article. Na wa oh. What I gather from these long gists is that these women think their style is all that. Kinda reminds me when that magazine had Tiwa on the cover and inside critiqued her album (very good critique I must say, her album was not good). She got so angry, that they disrespected her, bla bla bla. So because you’re my friend / on my cover I shouldn’t give an honest assessment of your work? How then will you grow to become bigger and better?

• olu

January 14, 2015 at 3:31 pm

If you are a good friend, you can can critique her face to face., not anonymously on social media.

• thatkoolbabe

January 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm

i don’t agree with that! you don’t have to be her friend to critique her. The fashion police has a job to do…good friend or no good friend!!!!

2. Jessica Alarapon

January 14, 2015 at 11:44 am

True words

3. Hurperyearmie

January 14, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Preach it

4. TA

January 14, 2015 at 12:24 pm

@ Mrs Chidukane, welcome to the ‘ALL ABOUT ME’ generation. The generation that does not want to hear any objective critique of their work, sense of style/fashion or objective assessment of their personality.If you are not liking their posts,or pictures on Social media,then you are an enemy. They either label you a hater, jealous, judgmental or say you suffer from ‘pull him down’ syndrome. No one takes responsibility for their actions anymore. Na so we see am.

• Jane Public

January 14, 2015 at 2:04 pm

No, it is the lick my butt, always tell me I am awesome generation, even if my act is rubbish or I have nothing substantial to offer. I blame social media. everyone is always fawning over the next person to be associated with them and it is all fake. Everyone wants to show off something to get validation from people. Online has now turned to real life. Me I just stand back, sip my tea and laugh. Yes there are some mean people online but pull you down? seriously nigerian celebs need to get over themselves, spend less time reading comments and work on their craft

5. thatkoolbabe

January 14, 2015 at 4:41 pm

lami!!! lami of life!! after your long essay….. at the end of the day suggesting you need a stylist isn’t anyone “tearing you down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. you and emMa nyra need to suck it up!
    matter of FACT! you should thank the ladies bold enough to say it /call you out, they say this because they want to see you do much better this year…..
    nobody said you were ugly or could not sing or not a good person, You just don’t have style and that’s OK, many of us don’t, and its OK…..YOU JUST NEED A STYLIST!!! SIMPLE!!!!!

When you become a “celeb” these are just things that come along with the status, stop being all sentimental and taking it personal… talking about women should build up not tear done!
    girl get a stylist and build a better wardrobe for yourself! chikena!!!!

6. nene

January 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm

we haff hear. practice what you preach first.

7. mary

January 14, 2015 at 6:38 pm

@thatkoolbabe……. thanks so much. you have just said it all.. they always write long essay the minute someone criticises them, and they term it “tearing down” because they think they are perfect as celebs. someone just mentioned that you are among those that needs a stylist this year, and that is very true, why don’t you work on that, than taking it personal, no one is bringing you down, it has nothing to do with your career. learn to take constructive criticism, it will help you to grow.