News

“My Husband Chases After Everything in a Skirt…Has Turned me into Punching Bag” – Woman Tells Lagos Court

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????“My husband chases after anything in a skirt and calls his lovers even in the midnight; he is a drunk,’’ a 33-year-old teacher, Nwamaka Emmanuel, told a Lagos court on Friday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nwamaka had approached an Orile-Agege Customary Court, calling for the dissolution of her 10-year-old marriage, citing battery, infidelity and threat to life.

“He has turned me to a punching bag…at the slightest provocation especially when he is drunk, he beat me mercilessly.’’

The petitioner, who lives in Orile-Agege, a suburb of Lagos, also accused the husband, Sandy Emmanuel, a trader, of neglecting his family.

She said: “He has contributed very little to the payment of the children’s school fees and we share the payment of the house rent and feeding.

“When the beating was too much and I thought I might lose my life, I parked out of his house with my children.’’

The mother of two of ages six and nine years, urged the court to grant her custody of the children after dissolving the union.

In his defence, Emmanuel, 40, who lives in Egbeda, denied the allegations.

“All she said are lies, I did not beat her. I pay all the bills and school fees,’’ he said.

“I still love her and I want the children back, please do not dissolve the union,” he pleaded with the court.

The President of the court, Adegboyega Omilola, told the couple to maintain the status quo and allow peace to reign.

He adjourned the case to Feb. 9 for further hearing.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com

1. gia

January 16, 2015 at 2:53 pm

“Maintain the status quo” this is so scary…

• NaijaPikin

January 16, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Was about to ask the lawyers in the house….perhaps this means something else in Lawyers lingo….sgih!

• Scarface

January 16, 2015 at 6:18 pm

“maintain the status quo- while she keeps getting left and right jabs ? Lord help your daughter conquer Mr. trader

2. Drknite

January 16, 2015 at 3:11 pm

I love his response “All she said are lies” and ” “still love her”. This guy is a narcissist.

3. olu

January 16, 2015 at 3:12 pm

We’re talking about abuse and he’s talking about paying the bills…please!!
    Go appeal and get that divorce girl!
    Dont worry about what the ‘church’, the society and the culture says. ..better to stay alive.
    Ony the living can praise God.
    #leave_the_beast

• aikulola babatunde

January 17, 2015 at 6:54 am

be enduring it my deaar sister

• sumbury

January 17, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I dnt support divorce bt dere cn be separation nd I dnt need any lecture frm any1 trying to tel me wat d difference z btw divorce nd separation,babtunde,tnks for ur advice,i wish it was ur yunger sister dt was ds woman,u wud have still told her to endure,life no get part 2 o,.my dear sister,find ur level bfor dy print out ya obituary at d wrong tym

4. Ada Nnewi

January 16, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I said it before and i’ll say it again the Nigerian Society despises women….All these women being maltreated, battered and abused in their matrimonial homes, and when they need the law’s protection they are let down but a man can leave his wife because she refuses to cook for him and 7 of her step children…..Wow Just Wow!!!!

5. F.N. Nwapa

January 16, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I was going to ask why we are getting divorce court updates but now I realize this has become a public service helping to expose the misogyny in our judiciary system.
    I am sorry I do not know anything about how divorce works in Nigeria, but when one person wants out, isn’t that enough? Any lawyers here?

6. oj

January 16, 2015 at 4:09 pm

you accuse ur wife of lying against u in court but u still love her and don’t want a divorce… Hmmm! it’s so obvious who’s lying. Court pls let the woman escape with her life o. @ least she now has the courage to leave. if she goes back, she may not live to tell the story.
    By the way, people lie in court a lot o, despite swearing an oath, or have they stopped swearing?

7. FLOW

January 16, 2015 at 4:39 pm

When did the hitting and womanizing start? Before u married him or after? Did he ever hit u pre-marriage? Did u know of any other woman/women pre- wedding? If he did these things to u before marrying u and u still went through with it, then u r partly to blame, if not, something must have triggered his “new behaviour” or maybe he’s always been like that but u never noticed till u married him and ENDURED 10 long years of torture, either ways I thank GOD for ur life, some women didn’t live to tell their story, but u did, that’s a joyous thing, now with ur wealth of experience, you can lend ur voice to the fight against domestic violence and educate young women not to settle because of pressure, to “shine their eyes” wella before taking that huge step, tell them ur story, what u ENDURED instead of ENJOYED, believe me u will be saving someone from making the same mistake!

8. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 16, 2015 at 4:43 pm

“maintain the status quo and allow peace to reign.” WTF? What status quo?????? I cant believe this! I hope she escapes alive

9. deedee

January 16, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Maintain the status quo? Lol she better run for her life. Smh. I will never be able to understand why so many Nigerian men beat an maltreat their wives. Were you forced to marry? Like one short black red eyed man who always beats my friend. She ended up in the hospital on christmas eve. They need to start jailing these guys honestly.

10. Nuna

January 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm

All these semi retarded men sef! What is the connection between paying school fees and domestic violence? Na me go pay school fees for you before? Why dont you go and fight a fellow man. Ewu!

11. Hian

January 16, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Maintain the status quo aka make she stay one side with her kids and threaten that beast if he comes near her. She needs to hire a better lawyer.

12. Mbeke feeling funky

January 16, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Wasn’t there a story a few days back about a man who got granted a divorce because his wife wasn’t cooking for him?

I’m confused, to me and probably every other sane human being beating your wife is a bigger offence than not cooking for another human being.

13. chi-e-z

January 16, 2015 at 11:06 pm

aha BN stop putting people’s names and information online during preciding cases. Even put the address sef this na lawsuit material for releasing of personal information without permission oh. Can’t you just state the story with personal information? If I wasn’t scared for this woman’s life before with this I’m scared cause if the man come lose job now he go say na her fault for it going on the blog. This kin thing don happen for my sibling before oh. It’s scary sef.

• chi-e-z

January 16, 2015 at 11:07 pm

**without personal information**

• tunmi

January 17, 2015 at 10:51 pm

It’s in the public domain

14. ovie otu

January 17, 2015 at 8:15 am

Justice delayed is justice denied. I hope this judge has a daughter. It is obvious that the man is the liar in this case if he says that he still loves her after lying against him. He shld explain why his wife suddenly became a liar after ten years. The judge should kindly grant her a divorce. That man has a high capacity for mischief and evil. The wife is at risk. The husband cannot be trusted.

15. Sunny

January 18, 2015 at 8:42 am

Both prosecuting and defending lawyer should swear in court that the tell honest truth about there client to establish truth and avoid blood money and to establish what is best for the couple in this case patching in some marriages could be dangerous remember you cannot give what you don’t have if it has not happened to you then you cannot counsel this couple. God bless Nigeria