Scoop

Toyin Aimakhu-Johnson: A Lot of Celebrities Are Not Being Truthful About Their Lifestyles

Toyin AimakhuNollywood actress Toyin Aimakhu-Johnson was recently interviewed by TW magazine.

In the interview she talks about her growth in the Nigerian movie industry, growing up in Ibadan, the best day of her life and much more.

Read excerpts from her interview below!

On flaunting riches on social media: You see, my parents have always told me never to blow my own trumpet. Besides, a lot of celebrities are not being truthful about their lifestyles. I live a very normal life and I am comfortable. I am never one to tell even if I have. Personally, I just don’t see why I should go out to purchase a pair of shoes worth $3,500. I mean, those shoes better take me to heaven! And I’m being honest about it. I simply have the best husband in the world that supports me. We have a car too. We are fine, and that’s all that matters.

On growing up: As a child, I lived in Ibadan and Benin City, respectively. And as the youngest of five children, the earliest memories of my childhood include walking long distances to fetch water and eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables always. It was a way of life. I come from a very prayerful home too. My mother is a pastor and my father is retired.

On how she started acting: My late older brother was friends with a guy whose uncle happened to be a movie marketer. One day, I got a call from him asking me if I knew someone that could act. Apparently, the actress that had been hired for that role did not show up. I told the producers I could act the part. Therefore I volunteered to replace the actress. I was paid N5,000 for the role and I remember feeling very excited about it. It all started in 2003.

On succeeding in Nollywood: Firstly, you have to love the world of entertainment. You must have a passion for it. Interestingly, some people have been in this industry for a long time…yet, they haven’t grown. Secondly, you must also be very submissive and prayerful. Don’t act like you know it all.

You can read up her full interview with TW magazine here.

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Banjo

January 19, 2015 at 2:56 pm

The real Toyin, i feel you.

2. MOSIWOMEKA

January 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Many of them lie about their life styles and its pathetic but they are the only ones who know what they are looking for. Its a free world though but fear God and be truthful to yourself. Madam Toyin, Better do it 100% and change your name. Whats Aimakhu-Johnson? Hmmm. No much story from me sha.
    Mosi Tash
    @Mosi_Tash_Jazzy

3. @edDREAMZ

January 19, 2015 at 3:28 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    ***to purchase a pair of shoes worth $3,500. I mean, those shoes better take me to heaven!*** babe na poverty dey worry yu i swear bcos if yu be dangote mistress yu for buy wetin pass am…. Yu tried though……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• memiee

January 19, 2015 at 3:54 pm

@ edDreamz or whatever the spelling of your name is, she is true to herself because she can’t purchase a pair of shoes for that amount not to talk of being a mistress to someone because of material things. Nigerians needs to change their mentality. Be contented with whatever you have!!!

• Author Unknown

January 19, 2015 at 4:11 pm

LOL. Do you think Warren Buffett’s wife purchases shoes for $3,500.00 though? Not everyone is materialistic Mr. EdDreamz. Besides, the moral of her story is to stay within your means, which she’s doing.

• olu

January 19, 2015 at 4:30 pm

How exactly do you know buffett’s wife does not have $3500 shoes? and even if she doesn’t, I bet she has other material things she spends money on. She obviously didn’t grow up in the social media age so she won’t announce it.

• Laspe

January 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm

@Olu: We know for sure that Mrs. Buffet is NOT materialistic. Warren still lives in the same simple house he purchased in the 70s (in Omaha, NE). Respect Toyin’s view. She is living within her means.

• Mbeke feeling funky

January 19, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I’m sorry so a woman is spreading the message that you should spend your hard earned money wisely and not live above your means. And your response is that she should become a married man’s mistress just so she can afford more expensive material things.

I would rather be poor thanks.

And men will accuse women of being too materialistic, hustlers and all about the money (I’m assuming you’re a guy from your name) .

Please Toyin you’re making sense !

• nawah

January 20, 2015 at 9:04 am

Must u hate,bad belle..tchew

• Zee

January 20, 2015 at 2:14 pm

If the only thing that could come to your mind is being sm wealthy man’s mistress and not even a strong woman making her own money being an entrepreneur, then I pity the women in ur loins and your generation as well. Sad!!!

4. Atl's finest

January 19, 2015 at 5:55 pm

This isn’t news.. We know that!!!! Both local and international. But I guarantee U that when it comes to International celebs, 85% of them own their shit..Besides, they can’t lie much unlike my fellow Nigerians mtchew

• ms.b

January 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Oh yea? International celebs can’t lie?? Who told u that?? Ask d guys on TMZ, they catch d liars often, like how they caught Justin beiber and hs “borrowed” private jet of recent.

5. I no send

January 19, 2015 at 6:07 pm

This need to show how humble she (toyin) is getting old and annoying frankly speaking…..truly when some people havnt gotten to a certain level in life some expenses seem outrageous until you can easily afford it then it does not seem so bad afterall..truetalk

6. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

“I just don’t see why I should go out to purchase a pair of shoes worth $3,500. I mean, those shoes better take me to heaven!” Gbam! Too funny! There is nothing like keeping it real! Once you start with fakery keeping it up is all you have left.

7. Fifi

January 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Ahhh toyin fear God, you lie u live in a house in lekki meanwhile u live in a flat in ikota county homes…u lie u r in america meanwhile u r in ibadan shooting a movie,anyway stop being a black pot calling yhr kettle black

• Bullet

January 20, 2015 at 6:50 am

Where in the write up did you read that she lives in lekki?…………..you be gbeborun o..Thats how you start spreading what is not about other people……jealousy dey worry you. You want to pull her down and paint her in bad light by spreading your lies about her around.

• Fifi

January 20, 2015 at 8:35 am

Like i said shes a black kettle calling the pot black…im referring to her previous statements she too has made

8. Fifi

January 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

*a kettle black

9. Anonymous

January 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm

What will it cost us to learn to respect people’s values and convictions? If that’s how she feels,it’s how her she feels! She’s entitled to her opinion and it’s her God given right to express herself as she chooses. What’s with the insult?! Kindly respect yourselves and air your views/opinions with a lot of maturity.

• nawah

January 20, 2015 at 9:06 am

Ahbi o,tnk uuu…nawah for dm haters o

10. oy