News

16 Year Old Boy Recounts Horrible Ordeal with Boko Haram & How He Escaped, “They Killed My Parents in Front of Me”

Boko Haram

“They asked me about my parents. Then they killed them in front of me. That is how Boko Haram operates. They first take out your parents so you have no one else to fall back to.”

This is the haunting account given by Babagana, 16-year-old boy that Boko Haram abducted from his home in Gamboru, Borno State, in May 2014.

After killing his parents, and abducting him, he was  forced to join the Boko Haram insurgents, Daily Beast reports.

“They killed people for no reason…I just couldn’t stand the horror. It made me terribly scared. They killed anyone who didn’t heed to their instructions,” he told me. “Girls were often subjected to sexual abuse. Anyone who proved stubborn was shot dead.

I lost my mind with all that I saw I thought if I didn’t find a way of escaping, sooner rather than later, it would be my turn,” he said.

The brave young man then resolved to escape. Around midnight one day:

Babagana made his move, running into the bush as his captors shouted in alarm and began to fire at him. He managed to escape without a bullet wound. Alone in the wilderness, he continued to move, not knowing if he was being pursued…

Read the full story about Babagana’s ordeal with Boko Haram and his brave escape on Daily Beast.

Photo Credit: Emmanuel Braun/Reuters/Daily Beast

1. ChiChiChilolo

March 24, 2015 at 11:18 am

For real? He just escaped like that? Hmmmn! Sad! I weep for my nation. I thank God i still have a head over my neck!

2. Dumebi

March 24, 2015 at 11:50 am

Oboi!…This Boko Haram guys…how do they ven sleep at night!

3. papermoon

March 24, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Thank God for your life, we also that you are able to put all that horror behind you and make something wonderful out of your life. No one should suffer this way, let alone a sixteen year old….we pray that more of you get away with your lives. This is sheer frustrating madness perpetrated in the name of God.!

4. Ye

March 24, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I hope all survivors get are opportune to get needed therapy. It is sad, just sad.

5. ene anyogo

March 24, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Heartbreaking…

6. me

March 24, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Really heartbreaking. I just wonder what will become of them all.

7. Lonely Girl

March 24, 2015 at 4:42 pm

hmmm permit me to say but their are alot of things fishy about this story. My opinion though. I think the guy is just a spy of the sect. that they killed his folks in front of him is possible but the escape? after 2 or 3 years…. common? People shouldn’t just dish out news, they should please investigate. My two cents.

8. FCOKanu

March 24, 2015 at 5:04 pm

If you are not Ibo, Christian, living in the South or outside Nigeria or voting for GEJ I might not have any problem with this comment (read opinion). Tueeeeeeeeeeh… Aru…

PS: You’re not PERMITTED

9. babe

March 24, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Really sad news, but two questions that come to mind, How do u run that fast with ur hands tied like this?who took this photo?

• ajeburra

March 25, 2015 at 5:09 am

babe that’s just a pic to illustrate the captivity….

10. ajeburra

March 25, 2015 at 5:10 am

Nigerian journalists please stop allowing foreign magazine media to get all this exclusive tea….gosh, daily beast is a coomon yankee blogazine and they are able to get gist that channels and co wont get

11. godson

March 25, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Nigerians,D young man is right…D important tin is how to exterminate Boko haram totally…they are still lodging In sambisa,Gwoza planning attack during election…how do we flush them out?