News

Promising SS2 Student loses sight in One Eye after SLAP by Principal’s Secretary

Happier Days before the Incident

Happier Days before the Incident

A promising secondary school student is presently facing major challenges with her eyesight after she was slapped by her school principal’s secretary.

The 14 year old is an SS2 student of the Bishop Philips Academy, Ibadan, Oyo State.

She narrated her sad story to the Sunday Tribune;

“On Thursday, January 29, students were having an Agriculture class, so those of us offering Food and Nutrition left the class and three of us went to stay in one of the rooms in the building.

“We saw our teacher from the window of the room so we wanted to step out to go and meet her. As we were about to leave the room, we saw the secretary to the Principal, Mrs Funke Fasina. She asked us what we were doing in that room but before we could explain, she slapped us one after the other.

“By the time I got home, my left eye had turned red and painful. I told my mother what happened but she dismissed me, saying that I would not have been slapped if I didn’t do something wrong. On Monday February 9, my mother followed me to school and the principal asked my mother to take me to the hospital.

SS2 Student

Student after the Slap

“We went to Catholic Hospital, Eleta, Ibadan and we were told to do the scan of the eye. By then, my eye had become bulgy and I was no longer seeing clearly. We went to St. Gregory’s Ultrasound Centre, Yemetu. From there, we went to the University College Hospital, Ibadan and I was told that I would undergo surgery. We were told to bring N300,000 as deposit. My parents have reported the case at the police station in Alakia Adelubi and the woman admitted that she slapped me.”Before the slap, she never had any pain or itch in her eye, so the report that she had a problem with her eye does not hold water. “Now I can no longer see with my right eye and I am going through a lot of pains,” she stated.

The victim’s parents and relatives are distressed by the situation including the financial burden of the treatment. They have also complained about the level of service received at UCH in Ibadan. They are claiming that the medical report was altered by a staff member of the hospital related to the accused to claim the victim had an underlying eye issue, therefore suggesting the present predicament did not originate from the slap. They have not received any financial assistance from the accused or the government so far and are struggling to fund the treatment. The case has been transferred to the Department of Criminal Investigation and the accused has been arraigned in court.

BN will like the contact details of the victim’s parents, please get in touch via features(at)bellanaija(dot)com

1. LotusFlower

March 16, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I hope that this girl get better.
    But when she told her mother what happened, her mother supported the secretary’s actions, claiming that they must have been doing something wrong.
    It will be a cold day in hell before I allow any person – teacher, pastor, auntie, – to lay a hand on my child without facing some type of consequence.
    This culture of abuse masked as “discipline” needs to end!! She slapped them for what reason? Because she is a frustrated woman!

• Dunai

March 16, 2015 at 9:19 pm

There is nothing wrong in her mom’s reaction, if it has to be my Dad he will say the same, but challenge is / what I don’t understand the secretary slapped three of them, how come she is the only one that has eye problem?Don’t you think is coincidence, another thing slap is done on the cheek / very close to the eye.indeed God will not let see someone who will kolabase us.I’m not taking side with the secretary but my thought though.

• lotusflower

March 16, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Yes, there are so many things wrong with the mother’s response. Your child has visible wounds (a red eye as stated in the article) and her response is you deserved it , rather than to investigate further. I swear, some Nigerians do not know their human rights.
      That is why people abuse power and take advantage of children. Also, it is not the secretary’s job to do what she did. Is that the school’s policy? It is the job of teachers and the principal to discipline students. If the secretary saw that they were doing something wrong, then she should have reported them to the principal or their teacher (people who have been formally trained on how to discipline children in educational settings). She is the principal’s secretary for crying out loud.

If and when the janitor at your child’s school removes his belt to discipline your child, do not complain o!

• eyong

March 17, 2015 at 4:25 am

Please, respect yourself! How dare you! What the hell do you mean by why is she the only one with eye problems when he slapped the others? When those armed robbers opened fire on the bridge the other day, did you ask how come the bullet only hit that one poor girl? Nonsense! Look at this over pompous mumu supporting abuse? How many times have they told these teachers not to hit children on the head of on the back? Those are very dangerous ares, and you risk handicapping someones child!!! I am all for disciplining children, but someone’s child is not yours! Do NOT TOUCH SOMEONE’S CHILD! Call up the parents and demand they discipline their children! Now that this girl is handicapped (maybe for the rest of her life) was that slap worth it? Did she do something so bad that she deserved to be permanently scarred? I tire for una ooo! Don’t worry, when you have your own children, bring them to me to discipline them well okay?!

And the mom is a fool. Typical ignorant bush woman! Infact, I will just shut up now because the words I want to call her, ehn!

• MC

March 17, 2015 at 12:09 pm

So because your dad would have said the same thing, it means there was nothing wrong with what her mum said!?

“what I don’t understand the secretary slapped three of them, how come she is the only one that has eye problem?Don’t you think is coincidence.”
      I don’t think you even know what it is you don’t understand! what on earth are you saying! they should all have the same injury? what is a coincidence?

• Omotoyosi

March 17, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Nice thoughts Dunai. Have u ever heard, u dont know how it feels until it happens to you.
      Either you are female or male, dont pray such happens to any of your children. Because you are trying to sound like s disciplinarian or what should i call it?

• spring

March 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Well, everyone’s body reacts differently, if she had an underlying immunocompromisation, that could explain why her stress responders would have a reduced ability to recover from the impact, leading to an uncontrolled inflammatory response. Also, a slap is most often delivered in a state of rage, such that the girl could have been slapped closer to the eyes than the other students. On the flip side, the woman could have easily had a pathogen on her hands that got into the girl’s eyes directly….. There are so many potential explanations, the main point is that this woman harm the young girl for no just cause.

• bbz

March 17, 2015 at 7:02 pm

@Dunai, do not talk like that oo.
      When i was in boarding house then something similar happened. Thou this particular girl i am talking about was slapped by her senior sister for some reason i cannot remember. Within few hours blood flowed to the white part of her eyes and it got very swollen. She had to go home for up to a month because of that and her sister was suspended for a while too…
      So yes, your eyes is the most delicate part in your body, just like my mum says you can buy anything in the market but not eyes because thou you will be able to see but your vision would never be the same..

• Temmy

March 17, 2015 at 9:58 am

Slapping them is totally out of it. She should have flogged them instead

• Abi

March 17, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I completely agree with every thing you said. When I was in high school too, one time my music teacher slapped me for smiling and saying ‘Good morning’ when he was ‘interrogating’ me for something that happened in our hostel that he believed that I had a hand in (I didn’t!).
      Once mid-term came like this, first thing I did was tell my mum once I got home. The way she was raaaking ehn!When she brought me back after half-term, she was looking for him to slap him back but he wasn’t back in school yet. She doesn’t mind flogging on the hand and bum or whatever, but slapping, she’s not here for that bs!
      Even in primary school sef, my teacher slapped me. Na soso slap dem just dey slap person lol

2. Koko

March 16, 2015 at 6:15 pm

OMG! This is so bad, schools should be careful the about the way children are disciplined under their care. Reminds me of my time in boarding school, I suffered sha. Praying for the student.
    wordsbykoko.blogspot.com

3. Rukamina

March 16, 2015 at 6:19 pm

The “egg shell” principle. “Take your victim as you see them”. That’s all.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 17, 2015 at 11:28 am

That is all!!!!!!!!!!!! Take five sister… whether she had pre-occurring problems with her eyes or not, take that victim that you laid your damn hands upon as you saw her!!!! I tell you, it’s just paining me that we don’t have the kind of legal system yet where a good torts lawyer can sink their teeth into this and get that school to quake in their boots. Kai!! If only…

BN, please keep us updated with how things go with contacting the victim’s parents and put something on the site if you can, regarding donations for her surgery. Many thanks in advance.

4. meeee

March 16, 2015 at 6:28 pm

This reminds me of my time in boarding school! All the unnecessary torture from both teachers and senior students

5. pinkie

March 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm

typical Nigerian mother. they are so quick to defend ‘outsiders’ and one wonders if that’s their own display of love. poor girl. biko domestic violence has gotta stop. couldn’t she have just asked them out of the building.?? hiss! so the slap was now for what?

• Na wa o

March 16, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Exactly my thought.Most Nigerian parents don’t listen to their kids.That’s why some become aware of their kids being sexually abused cos they trust the outsiders so much.I was brought up in that kind of environment too.But now that I am a parent too.I always make an effort to listen to my kids .May God grant all parents out there wisdom to take care of their kids.

• Na wa o

March 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Unaware *

• Bruness

March 16, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Excuse you pinkie that’s not a typical Nigerian mother, a typical Nigerian mother will raise hell cos of it. I honestly don’t think the mum did anything wrong, this girl might have had an issue with her eye waiting to explode and the slap aggravated the situation. I was flogged as as a kid when I did wrong in school and I went to a private school but on one occasion my teacher left marks on my body and my dad raised hell and got the teacher suspended. I have no issues with disciplining a child but you must make the punishment suit the crime. If the girls were stroked on their palms this probably wouldn’t have happened, we wouldn’t be debating whether it’s the teachers fault or the mums fault. It’s soo unfortunate that this poor girl has to suffer this. I want to equally say that for as many of us that are reading this, pointing fingers or not please let’s make little contributions to support this girls surgery.

• Anon2

March 17, 2015 at 8:41 am

A typical Nigerian mum will raise dust. yes! I remember a case of a teacher sending me and some other classmates of mine on her personal errand resulting in me getting home late. Let’s just leave the outcome of that teacher’s mistake as a story for another day.

6. Sugarintheplum

March 16, 2015 at 7:16 pm

This is just vile and inhumane. Nigerians need to start addressing the problems they have with violence in their society. No one is discouraging the chastisement of children, especially in the case of fractious kids, but discipline should never lead to disfigurement. So vile.

7. Okeke nwakaego

March 16, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Pls , I think this girl has a peri orbital tumour. Surgery shd be expedited! The slap from teacher/ secretary was only a red herring!

• nubian

March 16, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Thank you Nwakaego! To the untrained eye it seems the teacher had ‘spiritual hands’ and no one is addressing the obvious.. While I agree the teacher should not go unpunished, I also believe this chid has a tumor and needs urgent surgery. The slap only brought this to the fore.

• Na wa o

March 16, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Might be hematoma,might be tu our or anything.The issue of abuse should be addressed in schools.Most teachers take out their frustrations on students.I was beaten with a bunch of broom by a teacher in secondary school cos I got a question wrong.I wish the girl and the family all the best.

• Na wa o

March 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Tumour*

• ade

March 16, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Spot on! She needs surgery pronto to determine how much of her face they will need to remove! OMG, time is not on her side!

• bigspirit

March 17, 2015 at 10:53 am

INTRA-ORBITAL not peri orbital @nwakaego. and true… time is not on her side as it is. my prayers go to the poor girl and her family.

8. Friday's Other Child

March 16, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I really hope she doesn’t lose her sight or have any lasting implications. Good news that BN is trying to get in touch with the victim’s parents. A thought which might already have been explored; wouldn’t the journalist at the Sunday Tribune who wrote the initial article know how to get in touch with them?

9. NaSooOo

March 16, 2015 at 7:21 pm

This one no be ordinary slap o. There’s more to the teacher/whoever hands….needs to be put under a microscope.

• Mama

March 17, 2015 at 1:48 am

Shut up Abeg……we are discussing something serious here……….most teachers subject kids to this but most parents refuse to complain not to be seen as pampering their children…..of course if the teacher knew she had an underlying issue she would not have dared it…her mum must have thought she was exergerating the effect of the slap and did not see it as an issue till days later….this is a big lesson for that teacher…there are other ways of disciplining children and all this bodily beatings, slaps etc in the name of discipline must stop….nobody will slap my child, if you cannot cane their hands or any other punishment that does not require body contact then problem go dey…….I went to a catholic school in the 80s and no teacher slapped me cos it was not encouraged….even seniors could not punish anyhow like we heard in other schools…I guess the difference was cos we had some white rev sisters, Indians and other exchange teachers….

• Anon2

March 17, 2015 at 8:38 am

MAMA you again with shut up???? Kilode??? Cant you comment without saying shut up???

10. missappleberry

March 16, 2015 at 7:34 pm

This reminds me of a story my seat mate told me back in secondary school. Back when she was in primary school, a teacher flogged her mercilessly for a reason i cant really remember now. On getting home, she didn’t tell her parents but, while her dad was bathing her that evening, she was wincing in pain and her father saw marks all over her skin. That was when he heard the story of what happened at school. The next day, my friend’s father followed her to school, took her to the staff room and asked her to point out the teacher, after which he flogged the teacher as well without any questions. The matter was finally resolved by the school’s headteacher. Bottomline, teachers or whoever should not abuse any child, because they feel its discipline. Infact! There should be laws on such issues. Best they can do probably give a temporary suspension or something. See this poor girl losing her sight now for all the wrong reasons. Such a pity! The secretary is a lucky woman. Some parents aren’t that lenient. She should be losing both eyes now left to me. Bullshit! *ignore all my typing errors*

• S!

March 17, 2015 at 1:05 am

Father of the year. My sister was beaten to the point of having an asthma attack, the teacher was lucky he wasn’t around during the next visiting day, if not him for hear am that day!

• orange orange

March 17, 2015 at 8:24 am

Me don talk am since,i don talk am!!!!!!!! i don talk am!!!!!!!!!!!!………say am a mad percn,say any teacher give my child mark for body……..hehhehehheheheheheehe,i dnt knw specifically wat wil apn dt day,i sha knw water go pass garri,i no say may dm no train,i jst say may dm no dy overflog,funniest tin z dy beat oda pple”s children nd dy wil nt allow deir own children to be beaten dt way…..God forbid!!!!!……..reminds me of wen ma secondary skul mate who is a sickler was beaten nd she became sick, she had to go home,nd nna,her broda dt tym,na unilag Bros enter d skul with force,he enter like say na him be boko haram himself,he was ready to show dt teacher dt day,na I’m d P.R.O give sign say may dm go hide d teacher bfor dm carry his coffin dt day!!!!!!!!…………*my ebiripo,abeg*

11. wagamama

March 16, 2015 at 7:40 pm

WOW! WOW! WOW! Whoever hit this young girl in the face, whether an “underlying ailment” was present or not, needs to be persecuted and made to bear the financial costs of both her treatment and recuperation! I DO NOT CARE WHAT SHE DID! YOU HAVE HARMED SOMEONE’S CHILD/DAUGHTER/SISTER, A HUMAN BEING! I DO NOT CARE WHETHER YOUR CLAIMS ARE HONOURABLE OR NOT! WHETHER THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR ACTIONS ARE JUSTIFIABLE OR NOT! YOU HARMED A HUMAN BEING! SHEKENA!
    (AND YESSS I AM SHOUTING!)

Btw, i believe in “spare the rod, spoil the child” NOT “USE THE ROD, MAIM THE CHILD!!!!!!!”

12. @edDREAMZ

March 16, 2015 at 7:55 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Torture and maltreatment is knwn as DISCIPLINE in nigerian schools and i dont see them ending the act anytym soon…. I feel for the gal though bcos her life has changed for gud no doubt…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

13. me

March 16, 2015 at 8:15 pm

so what if the student had an underlying issue with the eye prior to the slap? All the more reason why the teacher should be disciplined cos she made the underlying issue worse!!…
    It’s like saying i have a bad knee, and while i was walking, someone pushed me from behind and i fell and broke my knee… best believe that person will be responsible for surgery and physical therapy!!!!!!

14. Maye

March 16, 2015 at 8:36 pm

You’re nwaekego,but people will never see it that way.anyway wish the girl a quick recovery and financial provision for the parent.

15. Fatimah

March 16, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I sincerely feel for this girl and hope that vision is restored to the eye. From her account, the secretary did not torture the girl or deal her barrage of slaps.
    Infact, she slapped them all which leads me to believe that asides the fact the girl might have an underlying condition, the quality of eyecare received after this incident also needs to be questioned.

The teacher is unfortunately the scape-goat but the problem might be that in one the hospitals, the poor girl’s eye was manhandled by a quack ophthalmologist or even an optometrist. It might also be that the parent had given harmful ‘first-aid’ treatment. My heart sincerely goes out to both the teacher and the student, they are both victims. I pray they get respite.

16. Tomi

March 16, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I’m no expert or medical doctor, but looks to me like the girl might have had an underlying problem that only surfaced following the slap she endured from the member of staff at the school.

I don’t condone the slap etc.. (I went through the usual boarding house torture) like many readers, but it would be great if the result of the scans/medical reports could be shared so as to clear the air as to the actual issue with her eye?

Also, I blame the school for enabling a culture of abuse by staff as such, they should be liable as well as the secretary is a member of their staff. Hopefully this gets shared around schools in Nigeria for lessons to be learnt.

17. ola

March 16, 2015 at 9:10 pm

hummm remind me of my jss 1 days in Igbokuta wey man go receive punishment from the hands of those even in jss 2.

18. mabel

March 16, 2015 at 9:16 pm

This can’t happen in a private school. These frustrated teachers and administrators in govt schools treat their students like slaves. I pray she gets better. The principal’s secs are the worst. Acting like gods. She must not go unpurnished. She devil.

• dami

March 16, 2015 at 10:31 pm

My mother isn’t a frustrated teacher oh! Don’t generalize

19. Iris

March 16, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Even if there is an underlying issue the mother takes almost an equal amount of blame, if not more even. She saw her daughter’s eye on Thursday and did nothing till the following week. The PRINCIPAL had to tell her to take the girl to the hospital? Really?!

• ada nnewi

March 16, 2015 at 10:09 pm

The mother is probably illiterate, I believe she would have done better if she knew better..

• Mama

March 17, 2015 at 1:59 am

Read well before commenting…..when she got home the eye was just red and painful….an underlying issue does not mean they might have even known about the issue…..am sure when the eye started getting worse was when they went to the school…..nobody will ever expect a slap to turn out this way, moreso this bulge is not what a slap will normally result too….the force of the slap however must have triggered some reactions in the tumor or whatever…….it will all be regrets for everyone concerned now and wish they had acted better…

20. natu

March 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm

This is child abuse. The government should ban this sort of thing. This should be illegal!! Africa is behind!!!

21. eliza

March 16, 2015 at 10:57 pm

one word: SUE!

She HAS to sue the principle’s secretary. Omo, how I wish this happened in London or the states – she’d get a good million pounds/dollars for this. Even tho it won’t bring back her eyesight – she should sha make the principle’s secretary suffer somehow for this. #silly

22. SOLO ACT

March 16, 2015 at 10:59 pm

discipline should not be an excuse for child abuse! this is how african mothers sit around and let an UNCLE rape their daughters because of RESPECT! why would you slap someone to blindness? why would your child come home blind and you ask her what she did. i understand wanting your child to respect elders but please african mothers WAKE UP STOP LETTING PEOPLE RAPE AND BEAT YOUR CHILDREN! AND YES NIGERIAN TEACHERS ARE ABUSIVE CREATURES! THEY ARE ABUSIVE BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY.

23. Mopee

March 16, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Please can we get the bank details of the child’s parents so the surgery can be carried out ASAP.

• ceetoo

March 17, 2015 at 10:37 am

Thank you… most reasonable comment. i know of the case and the hospital is asking for about 750k to sort it out, but they cannot afford it. will see if i can get them to get the account details of the hospital preferably across.

• Oluwaseun

March 17, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Hi BN, pls make d victim’s parents banks details public has soon has possible.or beta still if ur team cld email it 2 me dat wld b well appriciated. Cheers

24. jayboogie

March 17, 2015 at 3:01 am

Dear All, The Did is done . the girl needs 300,000 Naira . Money for some of y’all’s handbag . let us help .

25. Ella

March 17, 2015 at 3:24 am

How does one help with funding the surgery? Would like to make a contribution.

26. ACE

March 17, 2015 at 8:02 am

Omg! This is scary. Was the woman wearing some rings or is the hand demonic. I pray the girl gets better. Something is wrong with the woman tho.

27. oy

March 17, 2015 at 8:59 am

….and this is a slap? haaa..

28. Adaeze Writes

March 17, 2015 at 9:35 am

These witchy slaps of nowadays ehn! My little cousin was slapped by some girl at a prayer meeting in the northern part of Nigeria and her retina shifted. She had to move to Lagos to seek better treatment and we’ve been spending alot of money treating her in an eye centre in Lagos. It’s a year now and we haven’t seen remarkable improvement yet. Let’s say no to this kind of violence! If you want to beat a child for misconduct, then beat the child on the palm with a cane.
    This news is so depressing!

29. EfKay

March 17, 2015 at 10:06 am

BN, please share the family’s account details.

30. olami

March 17, 2015 at 11:09 am

what a pity, a secretary made a this girl blind. she is not even a teacher what business as she got with beaten? i think the government should do something about it, the mother is a very weak mother how can she make such a response? please let the crime department of this country do something about it. she as rendered the poor girl blind for life.

31. olami

March 17, 2015 at 11:12 am

if i see any strange scratch on my 18month old son, i do go to his school to call the authority to order, let alone an injured eye. the mother should have taken it up with them, abeg this youruba culture of discipline tier me.

32. OD

March 17, 2015 at 11:40 am

We have a lot of walking corpses these days especially in Nigeria. People are hungry, frustrated, hopeless, I can go on and on. You push somebody slightly and he/she collapses, nobody wants to know if he/she has been sick or not, all they will say is you pushed the person and fell and died, so you are responsible for the death.
    Avoid quarrels, heated arguement and even fights, make you go carry wetin no be your own.

33. Lexus

March 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Only in Africa man! My first commandment is; thou shall not lay hands on my children. Heaven will break loss if such a thing happens to my daughter. That stupid teacher has ruin her life permanently.

34. Hafsat Blacksoap, Oils, Body & Hair Butter

March 17, 2015 at 4:00 pm

God bless Bella Naija! For wanting to reach out to the girl to help….

35. maria

March 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm

This is aweful. i am currently a teacher in the USA. i schoo;led in nigeria elementary to Secondary and seriously i remembered teachers beating us for no reason at all. a teacher once flogged me because i was looking at him like seriously loooing at you how did you see me? the culture of discipline is masked by abuse and parents allow it to pass. when i was in ss1 my school father was flogged till he passed out simply because he pushed a teacher who was bullying him. as a teacher now i will never lay a finger on my students. why will i do that like seriously? i will never take my frustration out on my student. beside slapping is very disrespectful no one should ever be slapped. students here in the states are performing well and trust me i have good control of my classroom with lift a cane. if i can take charge and get the attention of my students when neccessary with flogging it can be done in nigeria. i only wish nigerian schools pay well i would have really love to teach in nigeria.

36. Ceetoo