News

Gov. Fashola Says Jonathan’s Act of Conceding Defeat Was Courageous

Governor Babatunde Fashola - February 2014 - BellaNaija 01

President Goodluck Jonathan’s act of conceding defeat is still a hot topic.

In an interview with Punch, Lagos State governor Babatunde Fashola, shared his perspective on the matter:

“I won’t join the debate because it is a raging debate; some say he is now a statesman, some say he is now a hero, others say he is not a hero as he did what he was expected to do. I will just say that first you must understand what we have become. All of us are looking at an election. Do we normally, as a people, accept that we have been defeated? Let us ask ourselves that question. Let me animate it a little: can you remember how many times in football that we lost – we can’t qualify – and some people will still be saying ‘no, if somebody beats somebody by 20-0, we will qualify?’ And they will continue to raise hope where, clearly, hope is gone. Logic says to you ‘this is over.’ That is us. We don’t accept that it is over. It can be a positive energy somewhere else, to fight to the last. But in that context, I think we should acknowledge what President Jonathan did as the right thing. If you lose, you should concede that you have lost.

I won’t join the debate on whether he is a hero or a statesman, people will have their views. But was that the right thing to do? Yes. And I hope that from there we can pick an example. Was it courageous? I would think so in the circumstance that I have created. He had to go and tell a party that wanted to rule for 60 years that we have lost and I have accepted it. There is a saying that while it seems ordinary to praise people for doing what is right or what is good, we must understand that it is not just for doing what is right or good that they got the praise or acknowledgement. It is because they avoided evil. And the kind of evil we could have seen is unfolding in Burundi now. The question is to ask the many ifs; ‘what if he (Jonathan) had said no?’ That is my final word.”

Visit Punch to read the entire interview

1. bruno FIERCE

May 22, 2015 at 11:33 am

I am beginning to hate hearing these words “conceding to defeat”

we don hear.

• Seriously

May 22, 2015 at 9:17 pm

The word has to be the most irritating one by now. If fashola runs for presidency, I’m 100% behind him.

2. @edDREAMZ

May 22, 2015 at 11:35 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    True talk jonah did great no doubt…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. nene+

May 22, 2015 at 11:56 am

After insulting him and he chose to ignore you? Mtcheww!

“oka onye ka chie”

4. Shineshineshine

May 22, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Why is he not VP elect?

• olu

May 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Some xtians may not have voted for the Buhari/Fashola pair.
      Keywords: SOME, MAY

• Shineshineshine

May 23, 2015 at 4:19 pm

VP elect with some other vibrant 50+ person. I did not mean with Buhari. We do have Christians with can do spirit you know?

• Iris

May 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm

They said Nigeria is not ready for a Muslim-Muslim ticket. In their defence some nonsense people may have brought it up as an issue, but I still think it is a silly excuse in general.

• TinubusNemesis

May 23, 2015 at 1:57 am

Because even Tifnubu know that Fashola Na over hype.

5. Tkum

May 22, 2015 at 2:52 pm

u see how Fashola stylishly answered this question eh…who is seeing it with me? of course he has joined d list of ‘Jona is a hero’..Uncle Fash u r most welcome to the association where we say things as it is…between errm..tot u where saying different before…hmmmm….plz don’t shock we Nigerians with another Muazu stunt in d future as regards politics ooo…APC!! Change!!!!!…,,yes Change is here as Uncle Fash is finally unwinding in the wind of positivity! aka ‘talk am as e be’.

6. prince

May 22, 2015 at 3:11 pm

That’s a nice one there my Governor and Change Agent.

7. Tkum

May 22, 2015 at 5:11 pm

You see how Fashola stylishly and brainishly answered this question eh…who is seeing it with me?… of course he has joined the list of ‘Jona is a hero”. Uncle Fash u are most welcome to the association where we say things as it is…BTW errmmmm…i thought you were saying different before? hmmm…kindly dont pull another ‘Muazu’ stunt for us in the nearest future oo as regard politics.
    Apc!! Change!!!!… yes c hange is here, as Uncle Fash is finally unwinding in the wind of positivity aka “talk am as e be no lie”

Yes bellanaija.. rumour going round has it that Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha has cancelled the free education policy in IMO STATE, CITING LACK OF FUNDS FOR SUSTENANCE AS THE MAJOR REASON… kindly help ascertain if this is true!

8. Amy

May 22, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Mr Governor and change agent, maybe you can answer this question I have been asking since, with no reply. What if the tide had turned? The other way I mean? Would we have been so benevolent to concede this same defeat? Thank you sir.