Music

New Video: Dencia – African Energy

Dencia (5)

We’ve been waiting on it and now it’s finally here! Dencia has released her video for her new single – “African Energy”.

BN shared the shoot for the video which had a lot of creative costumes, and also shared images from her media tour in Lagos; and they have all led to the official video release.

The video’s concept is rooted from her desire to send a positive message to Africans and friends of Africa all over the world.

According to Dencia;

Music is a powerful tool and unfortunately most artists do not send positive messages through their music. African energy is a song that promotes African heritage, history and unity & showcases some of the great people and things that have happened to Africa.

The concept behind this song was to send out a positive message to Africans and friends of Africa all over the world about our beautiful continent. After recording the song, we wanted to visually highlight the rich culture and heritage of the motherland and leave people with a dosage of African energy.”

The video shows African legends and role models such as Nelson Mandela, Folurunsho Alakija, Samuel Eto, Didier Drogba, Lupita Nyongo’o and several others are featured in the video.

Watch!

1. ruth

May 26, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Nice one dencia … We need positivity

• polypoly - QUEEN DENCIA's slavechild

May 26, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Q.U.E.E.N RepruDencia!!!!!!!!! Queen of African Energy….ha Impact!!

SLAY ME DEAD!!!!! yasssssssssssssssssssssssss….come thru BAE and whip these naija gals in line.
      Tiwa savage, ToolzO, SheyHater Shay, Genevieve, Azizat, Naomi Campbell – yall can never step on Queen’s level.

OMG!!!! I can see the haytahs watching the video and getting their lives….yasss!!! I have oxygen tank for those that will pass out from Queen’s impact. mmmhmmm.

Flowing natural Hair – hunty!!!! u berra come thru with ur Mama Africa tresses…..yasss
      Flawless Skin – served on platter on Nivea & Olay whitenicious realness….go head boo!!!
      Scenery – just body me up and send me to DEE morgue chille…#dead #and #gone
      African Legends in the video – bow down Lupita, pay homage to a real QUEEN. Hollywood knew Queen Dencia before u. Nicki Minaj wishes the Queen featured her…..
      Quality & Edit – ughhh, why do u wanna bury me with soo much effortless Class and fabulossness…..slay me to tha throne queen.

I just cant….sooo much awesomeness in this vid hunny….Dencia u got these naija girls running to the barber to get bald hairstyles already. They are not worthy of Your Edges snatchment….yass!!

I bow at ur thrown Queen……keep snatching edges, getting ur hayters bald and serving up Flawless realness.

• concerned

May 26, 2015 at 8:16 pm

We get it. You love Dencia. Nice Video. Calm the hell down

• Leah

May 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Dementia please ask your Doctor if Prozac is right for you.

• lola

May 26, 2015 at 8:58 pm

am sorry but why would BN air such post. I thought BN was about positive comments. who is this person fighting for God’s sake

• khloe

May 27, 2015 at 12:27 am

lol this one just watched a mix of Rhoa and all ’em Ratchet TV and has come to practice their English on BN….
      Gurrrlll get your life hunnay! @polypoly

• o

May 27, 2015 at 8:39 am

buhahahahahahahahahaha…..ppl ehn…lol

• Luch

May 27, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hian!!!! It is never this serious. NEVER!!!!

• Paloma

May 27, 2015 at 11:44 am

LMAO @ Concerned

• Paloma

May 27, 2015 at 11:45 am

DENCIA’s slavechild indeed smh….

• Didi

May 27, 2015 at 12:03 pm

This better be an Irony or i am 100% sure it’s Denicia hiding under this id.

• usothirsty

May 28, 2015 at 2:10 am

love it..remind me of rihanna’s american oxygen

• maya

May 26, 2015 at 10:33 pm

wait isn’t it the same dencia that went in on Lupita when she won that award and said all sorts!!! and now the first african energy i spotted in the video is lupita!! Dencia pls make up your damn mind!! i just… and dencia didn’t sing this only if she intensified her voice training!! from her other songs… this can’t be the same girl

• mouth mouth

May 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm

IF U HAVE SPIRITUAL EYES U WILL KNOW THIS GIRL IS A PYTHON . SHE IS A SPIRIT, N TO ALL WHO SLEEPS WITH HER WILL BECOME NOTHING

• polypoly

June 11, 2015 at 5:11 pm

love this song…..

2. Yasss

May 26, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I see her performing this at the innauguation in Abuja,at soccer games,anywhere.this is a powerful song and I expected this from a tiwa savage not a Dencia.Dencia is a genius,she released song with no promo she went the Beyoncé route.Kudos great video and I’m I the only one who noticed lupita?whoever is Dencia’s publicist the person is a genius.Thank you for bringing us positive images and people of our times together in one video.

• polypol

May 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm

YAsssss!!!! u berrra get in that altar and testify….Queen Dencia…..Queen of Naija Inauguration Ball!!

• none

May 27, 2015 at 3:08 am

@ Leah, Prozac is for depression not psychosis, before Nigerians start giving a good drug a bad name… BN sorry but there was no reply button under Leah’s comment, why now??!

3. Kosi

May 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Nice one decia, the Song has very few words, but the instrumentals are dope.The video oh well, lots in front of a green screen.I guess its a new anthem to play when any african get an accomplishment.Nothing wrong in finding a niche.I love the head dress also.Keep being true dencia, not here to bash, doesn’t do any good when i am eating garri with no fuel and you are driving pink range rover.Let us continue to up bring africans were they can rise,Doesn’t matter the area anymore.African Energy!! one love.

4. pink davis

May 26, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Sipping a glass of red wine, oliiva pope style. Awaiting the comments! Ready…..Set….Go….

5. Fauzzy

May 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

OMG! I must confess I have fallen in love with Dencia. I never knew she had such talent. I love everything about this song; it makes me so proud of my African Heritage. Long live Africa. Thank you Dencia for not coming up with a crappy song. show them how its done.

6. bee

May 26, 2015 at 6:41 pm

i’m sorry, I don’t believe for one second that Dencia SANG that song! rubbish lyrics- agreed, but Dencia definately doesn’t sound like that o!!!

• Pretty girl

May 27, 2015 at 2:55 am

Bad belle is not good for the body. Try and admitit she tried and I love the song and the video

• Rufina

May 27, 2015 at 7:34 pm

It’s not difficult to believe really – crap lyrics, poor edit, two backgrounds, plenty of B-rolls from other people, local auto tune… feels like something I watched on NTA growing up. I kept waiting for the punchline….. didn’t get it….at all.

7. bunmi

May 26, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Horribility

8. Ayodeji Adebayo

May 26, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Kudos to Dencia for this video – the onus is on us as Africans to project a positive image about our heritage and the diversity and beauty we as Africans have in abundance.

However, the entire song and video had a deja vu feel to it – I couldn’t quite place my ‘finger’ on it, it sounded very much like something I had heard before but nothing came to mind. A minute in and all I could see was a version of Rihanna’s American Oxygen. Whoever had the idea and came up with the concept first is irrelevant but the entire production seemed less genuine after that.

Good work to Dencia for her efforts and trying to use her voice but this isn’t just my cup of hot cocoa.

• ferrari

May 27, 2015 at 8:25 am

Rihanna’s American Oxygen is the song you are looking for…

9. @edDREAMZ

May 26, 2015 at 6:55 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Will be watching the movie no doubt….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• spicy

May 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Movie? Which movie? This guy ehn

• Pretty girl

May 27, 2015 at 2:58 am

Come edDREAMZ does these look like a movie to you. You no go kill person for bella nija oh

• Paloma

May 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

LWKMD!!! mehn i don laugh tire, if any one needs comic relief just come and read bellanaijarians comments by the commentators lol…

10. Tee

May 26, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I wrongly pre-judged it. Its actually decent with positive vibes. Well done madam

• gh

May 29, 2015 at 5:08 am

AMEN! I was about to clown earthly dirt out of her, then I heard the song. Except that bead outfit tho…um? Went crazy on the edo beads much?

11. Bobo

May 26, 2015 at 6:58 pm

We need to be proud of our Melanin rich African skin too….!

• ooiure

May 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm

have u ever considered that she bleaches because of racist barriers which she could have encountered earlier on from people of other races and self hating people of her kind. she seems smarter than the average joe who pretends that racism does not exist.

• Bobo

May 27, 2015 at 5:08 am

Exactly my point! Regardless of any “barrier” or what other people may say…embrace your skin..embrace who you are. Although I’m very sure this wasn’t the case for her. She once said “White was pure.” If white is pure..then what is balck? Dirty?. #AfricanEnergy

• wesi3

May 27, 2015 at 6:50 am

she is a very smart business woman who knows what she is doing. she probably says what she says so as to attract clientele because of the way they think. whats the point of being proud of your skin whilst being a loser financially. she will always be African and she is just using her head to get ahead.

12. Efee

May 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Look! people have a million and one opinions about Dencia but if we are to be honest, I have heard worse music done by Nigerians compared to this – good effort Dencia! No matter how much abuse/criticisms she receives from people, she maintains her hustle and does her thing as she deems fit. Now, while I commend her ode to Africa in this video, I am very disturbed by the Baphomet-like symbol on her head(her crown)…very! That is levels of demonic ish right there.
    2 cents 🙂

13. Francine

May 26, 2015 at 7:08 pm

There is something very Satanic Demonic about this girl Dencia. I get the same bad vibes with her just as i do with Rihanna and Gaga. Cant you guys see it. I just plead the blood of Jesus everytime i lay eyes on her. There is just something bout her i cant pin point. Ewwwww. I just know this girl is not normal, she probably from the marine kingdom or something – look at the eyes and lips. She looks like a snake. Just like Rihanna and Gaga.

• Fauzzy

May 26, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Hahahahahahaha. this your comment just cracked me up. WTH!!! she looks like a snake? omg i cant stop laughing. kai! though negative, this is my best comment on this post. please leave Dencia alone coz she is my new found love.

• Kiiki

May 26, 2015 at 8:58 pm

LmaAaaaaooooooooo!!!!!!!’ Toooooo funny!

14. ako

May 26, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Well done Dencia. good luck

15. aud

May 26, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hmmm…. ok oh.. just one question. . Did she think of this before or after American oxygen.? I’m not a hater .. Just asking.

• Rara

May 27, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Thats the name ! I Knew this song was sounding too familiar for it to be a new original song.

16. LL

May 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I have mixed feelings on this one.
    1). I like the content of the music. However, I felt she could have done more on editing and the beats on the verses
    2) I like the fact she showcased Africans that are doing well in different fields (e.g Drogba, Lupita, Eto, Ibaka etc)/ legends (e.g Mandela).
    3) She looked so stiffed. Probably because of the costumes (which i don’t like except the one that’s at the beginning of the video and the head piece on the second scene).
    Overall I will give it 7.5/10

17. kiki

May 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Well , we shouldn’t just jump into conclusions. Lets see what more she has in store for yhe world. I like it !!!

18. Mizzy

May 26, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Dis guy in Jupiter, it’s nt a muvie 2 b watched. Nice 1 dencia

19. AB

May 26, 2015 at 7:19 pm

this is dope though…I cant even knock this chick…..she hustles and she tries to bring quality….I think haters only help her cause!!!!

20. tee

May 26, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Rihanna should sue for plagiarism…Maybe that will teach nigerian artists to stop stealing music!

21. poison ivy

May 26, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Dencia’s people, stop flooding BN oooooo
    Giving us the “oooh, this is an amazing song with positive message “Gerraway joor!!
    And ed dreamz, you need help asap

• Ebele

May 27, 2015 at 11:41 am

I agree.
      ‘Ed Dreamz’ needs serious help….no doubt

22. suala

May 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

am sorry…but does she understand the concept of originality.
    She needs to find her own niche, not copying everyone overtime.

Imagine the song has just 4 sentences….and then all i could feel was Rihanna’s AMERICAN OXYGEN

23. Sbr

May 26, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Really? Realllllllly? Is someone somewhere having a laugh?

24. anonymous

May 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Apparently no one seems to notice the similarity of this song to rihanna’s “American oxygen”

25. Mewe

May 26, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I respect her hustle but this is a terrible song… video is worse. All I heard was ‘African Energe’. I appreciate that she’s trying to send out positive vibes about but mba, this one no make am.

26. i no send

May 26, 2015 at 7:53 pm

song is a bit weird…..but i felt her head gear was heavy and she had to stiffen her neck so it does not fall off

27. Abs

May 26, 2015 at 8:03 pm

This is a great song but truthfully, it’s very difficult for me to get past the skin bleaching. How can you celebrate your true and full African-ness if you cannot even love your skin color? It’s just plainly absurd to me.

28. Koko

May 26, 2015 at 8:10 pm

How can someone who promotes skin bleaching be promoting African heritage? What a contradiction! Girlfriend, you don’t even believe that Black is beautiful. Please go and crash someone. You are no good role model for African women.

29. hilda

May 26, 2015 at 8:12 pm

wow i expected this kinda song from our naija divas eg tiwa and co….song and video with meaning and content ..#noteverytimeimlikingthisguy #noteverytimeshowbody. congrats girl on this smash hit. i see her performing this song on world-class platforms

30. girl

May 26, 2015 at 8:16 pm

so not only did she steal the song American oxygen, she also stole the video concept… i smell a lawsuit soon.

31. meiwe

May 26, 2015 at 8:17 pm

not a fan
    I’ve just wasted 3.35 minutes of my precious time
    warrahell!!!
    the lyrics don’t make sense
    she went overboard with the twizzlers dress and meaningless head dress
    Uche (repudencia) face yah whitenicious (repackaged fair and white) crexam bixni

32. concerned

May 26, 2015 at 8:18 pm

I have to admit, it’s really good. Not a big fan of Dencia but she’s earning my respect. In fact, she started earning my respect when she acted so maturely in the Tonto-Pumpsberry brouhaha.

33. Ales

May 26, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Looks cheap biko and she’s trying toooo hard what’s with the lady Gaga outfit and the subtle gothic thing she has going . Tooo thirsty … Cleary sending message to illuminati members and devil worshippers as she carry there symbol for head that bp baphomet head is not small at all . That her mouth sef is not her selling point. The girl Ðe do like person Weh get ogbanje.

34. Diana

May 26, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Dennis is clearly adventurous and hardworking . I know it is her personal choice to bleach but actions speak louder than words . It is difficult to claim her U.S. One of our own when she didn’t like her dark skin which is PART of our identity

• Diana

May 26, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Dencia*

35. Leah

May 26, 2015 at 9:05 pm

All those video clips, how long till the video is taken down due to copyright infringement?

36. zill paul

May 26, 2015 at 9:09 pm

This song is like a ridiculous remake of Rihanna’s American oxygen. Lol wtf

37. Regnawii

May 26, 2015 at 9:45 pm

dencia is getting positive vibe from ppl wow!

38. Ngozi

May 26, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Omggggg denciaaaaa… Wow I love this song!!!! This girl is killing it!! Love it!!!well done girl.. You should be proud of yourself. Me I love the song, it has depth and the rythm.. Love the African tribute, bleaching or not I love the music. This girl is talented!!! Respect

39. Lilo

May 26, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Eh yah…she can’t but love lupita nyongo. H

40. nnenne

May 26, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Good one Dencia.
    It can only get better. You are a hustler.

41. Fifi

May 26, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I have fat tears rolling down my cheeks after reading some of these comments, my bn family too funny

42. Stephanie

May 26, 2015 at 11:24 pm

i dont understand what I’m looking at…is she listening to a different song?? Why is she not in sync with the beat? What is she wearing??? I have a headache

43. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

May 27, 2015 at 12:04 am

NICE ONE DENCIA…….KEEP ‘EM COMING GIRL.

44. tunmi

May 27, 2015 at 2:11 am

It turned out better than I thought it would. I am definitely glad that she named more than one country and from the several regions of the continent too, go ‘head. I liked the red costume. And the bleaching thing….

45. looool

May 27, 2015 at 2:52 am

lol I think this is a ploy to get attention from the American media. because this is Rihanna’s American Oxygen Dencia’s version more like lyrics swap.

46. olut

May 27, 2015 at 3:07 am

eeeeeewwooooo, this gurl stole Rihanna’s ‘American Oxygen’….this egun gun calabar.lol

47. Tosin

May 27, 2015 at 5:38 am

debating. should i use my free internet minutes to click on this ‘movie’? hmmm

48. My Opinion, Not Yours!

May 27, 2015 at 6:10 am

Lmao!!! This chick got some serious issues! First she copied Rihanna’s American Oxygen song. Secondly, I thought she was beefing with Lupita Nyongo, why is she now celebrating her in this video? Lack of originality!!!!

49. Iris

May 27, 2015 at 6:20 am

It would be kind of funny if Rihanna came for her on social media since it sounds so much like her song. Something tells me a twitter feud between these two would be epic…shameful to be sure but juicy in that ratchet kind of way.

50. jaybogie

May 27, 2015 at 6:54 am

Not a Dencia Fan , but this is good ! she did something ’em Tiwa, seyi and the rest aint doing . all their songs and video is all about them being sexy . kudos Dencia , you are smart! she penetrate with something different! i see you performing this in the next Africa Cup of Nations or all africa games….l..

51. amh

May 27, 2015 at 6:58 am

Very tiny waist. Didnt listen to the song. But lovely body though.

52. tony

May 27, 2015 at 8:17 am

THIS IS RIHANNAS SONG.. WHY STEAL SOMEONES BEAT??? THIS GIRL CAN USE CONTROVERSY TO BUILD PUBLICITY. AND ALL YOU DENCIA PEOPLE POSTING ON BELLA, GO TAKE SEVERAL SEATS!!!

53. o

May 27, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hate or love her, you just cant knock her hustle!!!

54. SkyBlue

May 27, 2015 at 10:17 am

Any one else wondering when she will credit the song to Rihanna’s American Oxygen?. the only difference is the ‘African Energy’ part, instrumental, concept, all seems copied to me.

Think Dencia is cool and all that, but originality is sexy. just saying.

55. timmy Tim

May 27, 2015 at 11:25 am

This song breeds something different you can either admit it or not. This is not about Dencia beefing lupita or anybody, the song has a hidden message which people needs to chill out and memo. #haterthingzcantseepositivity. kudos Dencia! and no she didn’t copy Rihanna’s beat…….#Africans learn to celebrate ourselves.

56. Didi

May 27, 2015 at 11:56 am

This girl is not only confused but she is so annoying. What crap is this? Most of the costume look Asian. This girl is so…… annoying. I wanna be a famous, i wanna be a star. My sister no by force it comes natural. Get over yourself!

57. abby

May 27, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I am beginning to like dis gal…..she got it sooooo right dis time,love ur strength, ur Neva die attitude,u exude positivity… Love ur video too…Go gal,d sky is ur stepping stone#1love

58. Huh

May 27, 2015 at 1:47 pm

LOOOL Please… Am I the only one that noticed this song sounds like Rihanna’s “American Oxygen”? Is this even legal?? And who did the editing? This video is crap, the costumes are whack.. Good message, but concept and execution is poooooooooor!

59. ijae

May 27, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Honestly i had to check out the Rihanna song & WTF DENICA! you almost had me fooled that you came up with the song! choi

60. Ike

May 27, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Go girl! You nailed it Dencia!!!
    This is obviously a good one from you, I wish people can just stop hating on her.. Either she copied Rihanna or not, please appreciate her positivity and leave Rihanna to confront her if she wants to.

Keep it up gurl! !!!!!

61. Sunshine

May 27, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I prejudged the song that it was going to be bad. Its not bad, the hook is catchy.

62. Ibinabo

May 27, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Considering the fact the it’s all Rihanna’s American Oxygen I can hear… she needs to work more or forget the music industry.

63. Idomagirl

May 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm

These comments. Kai!

64. Rara

May 27, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Nice song but Its a bit hypocritical. How can she tell us to feel the African energy when shes the one that was feeling that European energy that made her bleach her skin.

65. letty

May 27, 2015 at 7:56 pm

The hustle is real..this girl really works hard..i really respect her efforts…the news outlets quite frankly got what they deserved asking her all those questions and trying to be condescending to her..i really aint mad at her…

66. Tyra

May 27, 2015 at 9:10 pm

This bootleg version of American oxygen is terrible. If you’re going to try and remix someone’s song, give them credit. Love the message behind it, but she should have been ORIGINAL. Dencia lost all cool points for this.

67. bjor

May 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm

This babe just gave me motivation to do something better.I looked up the directors she has worked with on her videos and these are really big people in the industry who have worked with alot of A list singers, she is a philanthropist at its best.People are failing to see how this girl is spinning her wheels.She is multi-crafted.Singing may not be her greatest talent.But babe sure knows how to make money.

68. dell

May 28, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Song is getting hits daily and babe is getting money in her account from every ounce of hate.Irony

69. MAT

May 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm

originality-0, creativity-10, concept-40, video-60, vocals-30…

70. Ola Brown

June 2, 2015 at 5:50 am

Wow…….Bellnaijarians, you all have a point!!! I guess we tends to forget what the main focus of the post. BTW, this is totally a Nollywood saga. #Dencia…..thumbs up for the message but there so much confusion around you, it almost makes you seems like a framewhore. Love the message of the songs but there 101 ways you could horn your craft and incorporate that Cameroon energy into your African energy or not so American Energy. I am glad that your talent is paying for that mansion and pink G-Wagon of yours. I will humbly rest my hands from typing. LET THE COMMENT START!!!!!!