News

Nigerian Migrant Who Gave Birth on Mediterranean Says Nigeria is the Worst Place to Be

Migrant baby

Francesca Marina

Stephanie Samuel, the 24-year-old Nigerian migrant who was one of nearly 6,800 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean, and gave birth at sea, reportedly stated that Nigeria is the worst place to be.

She made the statement during an interview with Reuters when asked about her ordeal.

“I didn’t expect the baby, you know, but she just like, she just came,” Samuel said. “I just wanted to leave Libya. Italy is better than Libya and Nigeria is the worst.”

Speaking on her baby’s future, she said, “God decides, not me … but I believe she will have a more good future in Europe.”

Reports state that Samuel worked in Tripoli for two years as a housemaid to save up money to pay smugglers for the trip.

However, the boat she was traveling in along with 90 others stalled after barely three hours at sea.

In the course of rescue efforts, she was unconscious after suffering epileptic seizures and went into labor. She subsequently gave birth to a healthy baby girl, and named her Francesca Marina.

Photo Credit: Marina Militare/EPA/Guardian UK

1. Nohardfeelings

May 14, 2015 at 10:58 am

That’s her personal opinion because she thinks everyone in Europe is rich. Your eye will soon clear!!!
    Meanwhile….this baby Marina??? Hope they are not inviting marine spirit into the pikin lyfe o..afta “borning” her by the seaside.

• Seriously

May 14, 2015 at 11:56 am

Let’s be realistic, Nigeria is not in the best place and needs a lot of work to be done. Nigeria is a rich country but with mismanagement of resources and limited opportunities, the rich only care for themselves, for average Nigerians, it’s the worst place to be. Having stable electricity, decent infrastructure, better opportunities academically and professionally is what makes many of these countries better than Nigeria. nd countries in Europe, U.S, other parts of Africa might offer that better opportunities doesn’t mean these countries are perfect.

• tunmi

May 14, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Thank you. For the average Nigerian, the country is awful. My sister goes to LASU and I call her in between class. The sadness in her voice due to strikes is painful. All she wants is to go back to school. She’s trying to learn some craft to keep her busy. Mum is a civil servant, dad’s work is slow, older brother is a graduate and looking for work, younger brother is in Ogun state schooling. Finances are hand to mouth and loans for school fees plus me sending some money home. So yeah to the average Nigerian, the ones who can’t and don’t come on BN, things are awful

2. EllesarisEllendil

May 14, 2015 at 11:07 am

Libya and Italy are better than Nigeria…………………I won’t even bother refuting that ignorance!!! but I hope the government never lets her back in, let her enjoy her “paradise”.

3. No problem

May 14, 2015 at 11:09 am

Libya is better than Nigeria?? Ok

Look let me tell you something, the grass is always greener on the other side. I can tell you so many stories of people travelling to European countries by force and end up having horrible lives. For instance, my mum had a lot of young boys working under her. 2 of them she really liked. One of them now confided in my mum that he had found a guy that can give him stolen passport and that he’s travelling to Paris. All the rest of my mums staff were hailing him, talking about how he’s so lucky. He’s been there for a few years now and my mum says he’s always calling her asking for money or if she knows anyone he can marry for papers. Apparently he wants to come home but he’s too ashamed.

The other guy stayed and when my dad started his new company my mum asked him to give him a job. Now he’s a manager and married with 2 kids. The guy didn’t even finish university cause he started working for my mum from a young age.

Sooo many stories I can tell you of people I met when I was schooling in England. They’ll just be getting deported up and down. And England isn’t even a bad country so I cant imagine what its like living somewhere else. I hear they use African girls for prostitution a lot in Italy. But what is my own, whatever makes her happy.

• Ikan

May 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm

You cannot travel anywhere without doing your research. Know a country that is open to immigrants & will provide better opportunities. Some countries have more accommodating immigration laws that make it easier (not easy but easier than offers) for immigrants to transition into society. Nigerians do not do their research they go anywhere that isn’t Nigeria and suffer. I have seen people leave Nigeria & do better. It depends on the individual.
      Let’s be honest, Nigeria is good & terrible at the sane time. Why should we provide water, electricity etc by ourselves and still pay bills ? Why are you paying tax but don’t see what it’s being used for? Ur roads are bad, armed robber attack like its nothing, police officers, the ones meant to protect you, are underpaid, too many unemployed young people, educational system is a mess, people have lost hope and are relying on miracles instead of hardwork. In a functioning system, you work hard and reap the fruits of your labour. Instead you see ur hard work/money is reflected on ur leaders’ double chins, big stomachs, and wide waistlines. Politicians in every country are corrupt but they try in some ways to see how they can make citizens & themselves happy. They also care about their international image. Not these shameless ones in Nigeria. The quality of life in Nigeria is poor but Nigerians don’t hold these politicians accountable.Keep suffering and smiling there.

4. zinnypearl

May 14, 2015 at 11:11 am

you get mouth because you did not die, you should be thanking your God

5. mrs chidukane

May 14, 2015 at 11:18 am

Oh sweetheart, there are worse places than Nigeria. The problem I have with this country is that we wallow in poverty in the midst of plenty. Wickedness,selfishness and lack of love and compassion, to me is the major issue keeping Nigeria from achieving it’s potential.

• mrs chidukane

May 14, 2015 at 11:19 am

*Are the major issues

• Me

May 14, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Woh God would bless you, I had a similar comment in our Aunty’s blog yesterday but she refused to publish it, maybe because she’s not more a hustling model that is why she doesn’t agree that it’s our peoples (not all) wicked attitude towards each other that makes this country unbearable for the poor and average citizens, I hope we just love, care and value each other more so that this world would be a better place… ****sighhh*****

#AHausaChickInToronto

6. Ocean Beauty

May 14, 2015 at 11:53 am

Lazy bones. No worry, you go hustle for Torino tire. Those of us who come from Edo state will tell you that even the ones there are looking for how to come back home.

7. original Amy

May 14, 2015 at 11:59 am

You do housemaid job for Libya come get mouth dey talk wetin you wan oyibo hear, abi? If you had been asked to be housemaid in Nigeria, would you have agreed? Wouldn’t you have thought you should be the oga? And that you could not serve somebody else? Ok o The belle nko? It’s the poor baby I feel sorry for. Wherever you end in Europe (or deported), I wish you luck because that is when you go know say, that your mouth no fit help you.

8. Author Unknown

May 14, 2015 at 12:28 pm

English grammar. She probably meant to say “…and Nigeria is worse”, not “…and Nigeria is the worst’. Of Italy, Libya (under Gaddafi), and Nigeria, Nigeria probably has the worst standard of living. Libya under Gaddafi enjoyed one of the best standards of living in Africa, even though he was a meanie.

• Confuzzled

May 14, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Unfortunately, Gaddafi has been dead for almost 4 years now, and Libya has devolved into lawlessness, so your point is moot.

• Author Unknown

May 14, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Mumu. You must sha talk. My point is in line with the person who made the quote O, which is that Nigeria is worse than Libya, and that naija is the worst of Libya, Italy and Nigeria. I’ve never come near Libya. The person who has lived in both places is telling you that is the case for her. My reference to Gaddafi is in line with what you’re now saying; that things might have changed, so why you’re trying to correct me, me no know.

9. ACE

May 14, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Nigeria will get there by the Grace of God but madam haba! It’s just poverty mentality that’s doing you. Don’t worry enjoy !!!

10. Idomagirl

May 14, 2015 at 1:49 pm

She should pray they don’t deport her….Mscheew

11. Strit Kredibility

May 14, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Nigeria is the worst place to be. Hmmm, often and not always true. There are two kinds of reality, circumstantial or by design. It is from the mouth of these categories that we often speak depending on our situation. Some people love Nigeria however dysfunctional, while some people loath Nigeria to even aspire to do anywork abroad. People come to reality differently and thier experiences should not be dismissed. Me i dont know if what i feel kpaakpa for Nigeria is love or just a drive to carry on with my hustle rain sun or thunder. Igboro is not laffing my people. God protect her and her child.

12. BB

May 14, 2015 at 2:09 pm

@Author Unknown :- next time you want to correct anyone be sure of yourself. She compared 3 countries (Libya Italy and Nigeria); so the right adjective to use is ” worst ” and not “worse ” as you attempted to correct. It is written aa “bad” , “worse”, “worst”. Now you can thank me for purging you of ignorance! ! Ok thank you thank you thank you! !

• Author Unknown

May 14, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I bet you wrote JAMB at least three times 🙂 In the context of her quote, you really believe ‘worst’ is grammatically correct? Even though based on that quote the comparison was of Italy vs Libya, and then Nigeria vs Libya? You can see how grammar can change the intention of the message, which is now being misinterpreted to mean that Nigeria is the worst place to be.

13. zibaintl

May 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I JUST DE LAUGH…..ur eye go soon clear…italians are running to england due to poverty dere n lack of jobs….Hw many Nigerians can do menial jobs in Nigeria to survive esp graduates…we all want to be d boss…but for england nigeria graduats wit masters sef are cleaning toilets, cleaning old pple bombom n wearing dem pampers n dey call dat beter life…d worse b say d little cash na for bills…my questin b say is dat d life dey plan to live for d rest of their lives? n odas go de risk deir lives to go dere europe..God will help Africa so dat a modern slave trade does not hapen…,

14. Titi

May 14, 2015 at 2:26 pm

My question is : TWO years in Lybia… so who giyam bele????? Na lybian oga gi bele to this dog? now bad mouthing nigeria… Shame on you.. Nigeria gave you life and gave you liberty… in many countries you can’t even have passport.. rubbish…. Now Nigeria is bad.. go with you bastard pikin… weno know im papa.. we no know if papa de libya… or not.. Rubbish.. foolish gal…

15. shannie

May 14, 2015 at 2:53 pm

This lady is expressing how she feels. She has lived in all of these places and she managed to work and save money in Italy. She must have had a better life in Italy.

Who knows the kind of life she had in Nigeria or Libya? Look how many Nigerians have migrated abroad seeking a better life and have achieved it. It is a rich country but it needs a overhaul in infrastructure, healthcare, government, and a million other things.

Only this woman knows her life experiences and knows what she has endured in these places.

16. I no send

May 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm

There are two realities in nigeria I guess so in her opinion it may have been worst or she is trying to sound so bitter so that she can get quick asylum…but for me by God’s grace I can’t live anywhere else o cos I enjoy living here….life is sweet here for me except for electricity,traffic and dodgy characters here and there..so I am thankful..okbye

17. Justsaying

May 14, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I love my country.even tho I ain’t rich yet I have freedom. I always feel sorry for some of my friends in Europe they all regretting why they left. I wish her goodluck

18. lol

May 14, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I Dont know about Italy but if you Dont have a degree in america your life will be miserably..
    To go to countries like that she needs to know people who cab give her accommodation while she finds a job.
    America is clock in clock out work and all your money goes to bills its like a continuous cycle never ending.
    Only if you go to school and get out of there.

19. PD Young Billionaire

May 16, 2015 at 1:53 am

…..and this woman no go school oooo!

20. Jasmine

May 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I can understand the lady’s pain. I am hoping and beliving God that Nigeria will be a better place. Agian Nigeria is not the worst country in the world. Have you been to Congo!!!!.