News

3 Chibok Girls who Escaped Boko Haram Captivity Featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Meet Mercy, Sarah, and Deborah – three of the over 200 Chibok girls who were abducted by Boko Haram in April 2014. They were some of the few lucky ones that escaped captivity, and have been featured in Cosmopolitan magazine.

Escaped Chibok Girls

Mercy, Sarah, and Deborah

According to the magazine, the trio, in addition to another girl named Grace (who asked not to be photographed) are now finishing up their education at Canyonville Christian Academy, a high school in Canyonville, Oregon.

Here are excerpts from the feature story:

She  (Grace) and three other Chibok girls are quietly finishing their education at the Canyonville Christian Academy, a cozy boarding school with students from more than a dozen countries. Grace wants her tale of escape to be told. But she is not too eager to do the telling.

I sense this the moment I meet her. It’s a chilly spring Tuesday, and she and the other Chibok girls are leaning against a chain-link fence, relaxing after track practice. Cathy Lovato, the head of school, introduces me, and the girls turn to me, their faces suddenly serious. Grace barely makes eye contact.

For the girls, arriving in America was like landing on Mars. They had grown up in deeply poor, rural villages with no Internet access and in some cases a sole landline phone for the entire village. In Oregon, everything was new: winter weather, puffy coats, remote controls, trampolines, yogurt-covered pretzels, cheerleaders, ice skating, karaoke. They spoke only a little English.

The first girl to arrive, Mercy, came this past November. School president Doug Wead recalls Mercy’s first-ever encounter with an escalator. As she stepped onto the moving staircase at the airport, she panicked and dropped her bag. That night, at the hotel, she took a bath and stayed there for hours. “Later, my wife checked in on her, and she was asleep on the bed, lying on top of the fluffy comforter,” says Wead. “Her coat was on, fully zipped.”

The girls came to Canyonville with the help of a nonprofit group in Virginia, the Jubilee Campaign, and activists from Nigeria. The girls, all of whom are Christian, live in constant uncertainty, unsure whether relatives are alive or dead, whether their homes have been burned. They keep in touch with loved ones by phone when possible amid the chaos.

Visit Cosmopolitan to read more

1. nwa papa

June 12, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Good for them, they seem to be adjusting very well. My heart goes out to the other families of the still missing chibok girls.
    PMB, please make the issue of the missing chibok girls one of your administration’s top priorities, it will help bring some closure to their families.

2. ada

June 12, 2015 at 2:28 pm

nice!
    now cosmopolitan has featured the 3 chibok girls, now all the magazines in naija will feature them. watch this space!
    Genevieve Magazine where una dey? oh i forgot, na only celebrities una dey feature #hiss

3. Tiny colored miracle

June 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Dts aw I read one comment on linda I kemi”s blog abt ds girls,imagine ds monkey saying dy shud av done make up……if to say I sabi use my mb give somebody hot knock ni……powerful knock!!!!!

• oy

June 12, 2015 at 4:12 pm

lool @hot knock. i for follow you knock am sef. wetin concine agbero with overload? hian! the girls are in shock e dey ask for make up

4. oy

June 12, 2015 at 4:11 pm

hmmmm.. my heart goes out to the families. may they all return home soon and in good condition too. there’s nothing too hard for God

5. Grace

June 12, 2015 at 4:19 pm

This is so good. I wish them well.

6. cindy

June 12, 2015 at 4:33 pm

And that’s the best weave on cosmopolitan could get for the girl on the left? It’s a sponge already.
    Good luck to these girls sha. I hope they are not experiencing nightmares. May God keep them and their families.

• Charly

June 12, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Tiny colored miracle’s comment above refers. To say I be sango, I for use thunder fire you tonight.

• keechi

June 13, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Is that a serious question??? Some pple don’t deserve Internet access.

7. polypoly

June 12, 2015 at 5:10 pm

awww….God Bless the charity agencies and Bring Back our girls campaign.

All tea, All shade, but where are our Naija media organizations and celebs??? sorry I forgot that they are busy copying americans to do ALS bucket challenge and red nose day. hisss……all those our digital magazines that send BN weekly photoshopped pics of Z-list nollywood stars may need to continue where Cosmopolitan left off…..

@Cindy – get ur life boo!!! messsy boots!!! you are concerned about weave when, this was a feature on their lives in school after BokoHaram invasion. so what the weave is dry, these girls are in school to learn and not entertainment personalities that need to be on 24/7 glam. And if you read the post, u will understand that it was a profile story done at their boarding school.

• cindy

June 12, 2015 at 8:00 pm

@polypoly pls shut it! I was talking to cosmopolitan and not the girls. I’m not asking them not to concentrate on their studies. The weave just showed how much the girls are being taken care of. Fine, I’d prefer if they were on their natural hair sef. Internet warrior…..gerrarahere!

• xyzee

June 13, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Cindy you really need to shut it. How have you ever bothered to contribute to their upkeep? And you are judging how well they are taken care of, based on their weaves?
      Until they look like the Kardashians before you know they are well taken care of.
      At least they are alive. They are healthy. They are in school. That is something!

8. keeks

June 12, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Sweet. Bless them. And I hope they get enough money featuring because they need it. School etc.

9. omo

June 12, 2015 at 8:22 pm

This is so nice….I met a guy recently whose sister was one of d missing girls, I can’t even believe what I felt,he left Chibok to Lagos to start Okada business, his mother has been ill since the incident. His dad died when they were little… When are they bringing back those girls???

10. who's business

June 13, 2015 at 4:18 am

@poly poly on point @Cindy if I had a cane I would have flogged you mtcheeeeewwww..

11. tamuno

June 16, 2015 at 7:05 am

Pls we shouldnt decieve ourselves there are no Chibok girls. God will shame those they took up the campaign against the past Governments. They have arrange girls to act. Please please