Music

‘Dear Mr. President Buhari Sir…’ Eva Alordiah Gives Suggestions to a Better Nigeria in Open Letter

Gidi Culture Fest 2015 BellaNaija AprilEva (5)009Rapper Eva Alordiah published an open letter to the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari on her blog.

In the letter she makes suggestions for a better Nigeria based on what the people need and what she has experienced in neighboring countries.

She wrote:

Dear Mr President Buhari sir,

What a pleasure it is to send you a letter my man!
Kai kai kai! I am so honored to be communicating with you like this yo.
I am going to go straight to the point and skip all unnesscesary mumbo-jumbo.
There are two sides to everything Mr President and the only way you are going to take our dear Nigeria to canaan is by understanding this fact and knowing what to do with this information.
Lucky for you I have done that job and all you have to do now is pay me daddy!

Now there are two sides to what Nigeria needs. There is your side, and there is the peoples’ side. You know your side, and it must be a really good thing you have planned because the mighty God I serve couldn’t have put you in this position by mistake **except of cause you think you got here by sheer luck or votes of the people** Taahh!
You have to know what the peoples’ side is Mr President.
What are our needs, what do we yearn for, what do we need to heal our souls, how can we put us on the paths that would help our dreams come true. We are the ones living through the severe hardship of our great country, We are the ones working for the country despite the inhumane conditions we have to work in. We have tried our best so far and we have done well. Just imagine how much further we could take this country to with your help and dedication.

If I were in your shoes, which I sincerely do not think I am worthy of, (I’d stick to my stilettos thank you very much) I would listen to the Nigerian people.
The only way you can change this country is by doing for us. If you do for us then you do for yourself too.

I sha know you are where you are by grace and by grace you will succeed at moving Nigeria forward, in Jesus Christ name, Amen

Today 1st of June is Independence day here in Kenya and I am staring out into the most amazing view of trees and greenery thinking how so beautiful this place is.
Take a trip Mr President, to Kenya. See bah, you don’t even have to go too far guy, only Kenya, our next day neighbour fa.
It is heaven here guy!! Not entirely though, because the people have troubles of their own too. They have security issues just as much as every other country does, they have corruption in high places too. But they are the most happy people I have ever being around. The place is soooooooo beautiful and life here feels like what life should be in Nigeria if we could just put in a little effort.
3 things I brought home with me from Nairobi?

1. They Love genuinely!
The Kenyans just love. They care about one and another and they do things, not just because there is something in it for them but because they believe when they do for one, they do for self.
Love.
This is what the Universe operates on. Can you inspire and instil the value of one love in the hearts of the Nigerian people?

2. They enjoy 24 hours electricity supply. Everywhere. If the power has to go off, the people are notified. You know what this does? You know what this means? This means that businesses work without the extra hustle that lack of power brings! And if businesses are working the people are successful. If the people are successful, the country is successful.
If you do not do anything at all, please give the Nigerian people constant power supply. I say this on behalf of every Nigerian. We all know how this can improve every sector of the Nigerian economy so I would not make this letter longer than should be by stating the obvious.

3. If you cannot do No.1 and No.2 I sincerely doubt you would be able to do anything at all. So lets keep it at 1 and 2 and when you have accomplished those, I’d write you yet another letter to tell you the third most important thing I got from Kenya.

Now I really like you guy. Prior to becoming the President, congratulations again, I heard a lot of things about you. Bad things. And some good. You know how people are, people talk, and boy was there much talk on your matter! I didn’t make any judgement of you however. I don’t roll like that. I have decided to make my own personal assessment of you myself based on what I experience during your time.
So far I think I like you. You are the kind of guy I could have my morning coffee with. With Mr Jega of course. I like that guy. Don’t lose him.

I was also thinking it would be a really cool thing to work for you. Like I said, I like you.
I could be your special adviser on youth affairs and extra-curricular activities. With my position and influence in Entertainment and Music, I am quite confident that creating a direct communication pathway between your government and the Nigerian youth would be an easy feat for me. Although I charge by the hour, I promise not to go overboard with my billing. Think about this.
Please note however, there are a lot of issues you have to deal with in Nigeria don’t get me wrong. Power is just one of them. There are issues with Education, Transportation, Corruption, Health services, Energy, Security…the list is endless and I’d hate to scatter your head just yet. You sef sabi this thing.
My Nigerian friends online are going to be sending in comments below this post to tell you what they want and how they think your Government can move Nigeria forward. Please be prepared there would be a lot of comments.
You see I have begun my duties and we haven’t even made my position official. I do this Mr President Buhari sir. I do this!

Do not forget what I said kind Sir, there is your side, and there is the Nigerian side. Remember God speaks through men, if you listen to the people, you listen to God.
I like you Mr President Buhari Sir. I think I might really like you. My Album “1960” drops next week! I’d send you an autographed physical copy, please send a picture holding it up will you? Thank you! God bless you. God bless Nigeria.

Dear Nigerians, this is your moment, The President is reading this. Have something to say? Some suggestions maybe? Please air your views and opinions in the comments below. Say it. As e dey do you for bodi, just say it.

1. Tunde

June 6, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Everybodyy won turn to martin Luthers whereas we still have so many sh*t in our life to fiixed….

• tob

June 8, 2015 at 5:46 am

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
      Isn’t the intended audience supposed to be the President of a country? So, why is this framed as a discourse on politics best suited for a barbecue with peers.
      Setting aside Buhari’s title, in what society is okay to address a seventy year old as “guy,” or with “yo.” Like, is he your age mate?
      Eva is a musician. More than anyone else, she ought to know a thing or two about gauging and understanding your audience? I thought the lesson on letter writing and how to write a letter was in the Primary Three curriculum. Therefore, since Primary Three Eva has been introduced to the rules guiding good letter writing.
      There are ways to do things and ways to “not” do things. If the real intent was to get her message heard by a President, this letter is all kinds of wrong. However, if this was a faux attempt at publicity, thumbs up, Eva hit her mark.
      As a nation, as individuals, Nigerians need to do better and stop acting, behaving, and generally doing things ANYHOW-LY. This is not how you address a President.

2. Pabara

June 6, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Not so nice.

3. D

June 6, 2015 at 5:38 pm

So she throws around the word “guy” a lot, even when it does not come into play and that kinda threw me off. I agree with her on the power issue though because like I have said even on BN any president that is able to successfully combat the issue of power in Nigeria will succeed in winning the hearts of many Nigerians. However, as for point 1, I doubt that’s something any human being can accomplish. I mean how do you beginning to try to influence the way people think? Even couples that live together are yet to succeed on that front. Nigerians as INDIVIDUALS would have to come to that conclusion on their own. That’s not something I would ask him to focus his time and energy on. Maybe if he deals with the issues plaguing the nation then Nigeria can begin to become a country many of its citizens are proud of and maybe healing and the feeling of oneness may begin to grow in us but again it is just a big Maybe.

4. Zinny

June 6, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Kaiii see what social media and western world has done to our people, see the choice of her word. You simply looking for attention. No respect to an old man like Sir Buhari not to talk of a whole president of the most populous Africa country. Hmmm ok o

5. fcokanu

June 6, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Eva Elohor Alordiah don burst my head oh. I can’t stop laughing… 😀 😀 😀

6. Fabulous B

June 6, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Smile

7. Akpor Gbemre

June 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm

This is intelligent. I’ve been to Kenya and I know how it is there. The orderliness and steady power supply you cant take away from them. It is worthy of emulation for Nigeria. Eva, the title of your album is Epic and I cant wait to see Buhari hold a copy in solidarity with the creative industry.

8. fleur

June 6, 2015 at 5:59 pm

what I sent Bella to post right after Buhari’s win is more sophisticated than this in terms of direction to the president. I can’t tell if this is a joke or real. Noting new that is different from pointing out problems we all know about. what Mr. President needs now is strategy. But you see, Bella has to Know you personally or as a model or star to post and so she discriminates. I don’t mind. God can’t Say I did not try for my country. He will come for Bella instead because she obstructed my voice and any Impact it could have had. l did not fit into her fifedom. she probaly wont have the bile to post this but who knows……

9. abby

June 6, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Ur grammer tho! U r speaking to d president darl…accord some respect! I managed to read it through….u raised some points…and I hope d president reads dis…

• Nnenna

June 7, 2015 at 3:33 pm

The president is first of all a human being before anything so she can speak as she pleases…
      Save reverence for God Biko
      I don’t particularly care for this letter, album dropping hints and all but she’s allowed her opinion. Share yours if you must

10. Girlbeingreal

June 6, 2015 at 6:12 pm

please lemme ask you miss thing.. Do you think the president is ignorant……. You sound rather condescending. Gosh are you for real. Wait you think you understand Nigeria’s situation more than he does. Am sure your attempt was to have a nice writeup and be commended.. But you failed! It’s almost funny.. Please don’t be ridiculous

• kai kai kai!

June 6, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Why are Nigerians so slow in realising the humor in all this? It is an open letter, not likely to be seen by Buhari himself thats why she can afford to play with it. Anyway some good points noted and actually clever as she found a way to bring attention to herself and casually hint at the album. I don’t even live in Nigeria but the one year I spent in Lagos in 2013-2014 made it clear to me to see that electricity is the top problem, it directly affects the infrastructure of the country. The country is trying but honestly some very basic needs are not being met and people start to see them as a luxury when in fact these basic necessities can change your life. Anyway the article is clever, shame too many people choose to only see negativity.

11. Fume

June 6, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Boy do i like this girl! she just told the president her expectations, applied for a job as well as advertised her album?

12. Heeba

June 6, 2015 at 6:27 pm

An open letter via an open stomach

13. beso

June 6, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Mr president Buharia sir… first off…I’d love to state that the basic needs have moved from food shelter and clothing as we were taught in school to shelter ,electricity, diesel and d rest. Nigeria needs improved power supply. We also need to create jobs for the idle youth. We all know idleness breeds ungodly thoughts and actions. I’l leave the rest to my fellow Bners.

• Gpro

June 7, 2015 at 2:38 am

Yes Job! But the truth is from what Eva says, with steady power supply there will be more jobs and companies can come in with the hope of making profits.

YOU WANT TO HELP NIGERIA? FIGHT THE GENERATOR CABALS!

14. itz_waiz

June 6, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Eva got me laughing my arse off with that letter…but itz got nothing but the whole truth in it…so plz MR PRESIDENT SIRE M.BUHARI..plz take care of this for us

15. Na wah!

June 6, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Whilst I like this lady here, I find her tone highly disrespectful. With all the guy, guy, guy and fa, she lost me somewhere.

Nigerians need to learn to draw the line between seriousness and jokes. It’s eaten into the very fabric of our consciousness.

I deduced that she can write intelligently but chose to go the route of the ‘not-so-serious’. Why will Mr President take you seriously?

And to go as far as nominating herself for a job? Girl, this is not the usual come-chop government we have had in the past o!

This President is poised to choose the very best team he can muster.

Your lackadaisical approach has thrown off the essence of your write-up but I’m sure the President knows that Power is our greatest problem.

Well done anyway. God bless.

16. Pretty girl

June 6, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Bia Eva pls you are talking to an elderly man and also the president of nig I don’t understand these guy u are using pls stop it ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Any way I like the 2nd point u gave which is very important to Nigeria so we hope he focuses on these.

17. Wahala

June 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Eva talked abt love and already I can see alot of haters already. Eva I love you so much. U delivered the msg so well and in your own way.

18. cindy

June 6, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Errr…….I didn’t find her disrespectful. Not everybody has to use sophisticated oyinbo. Nigerians sha…..una too dey form. The average nigerian doesn’t speak your so called oyinbo. I found her just trying to be different from the norm in terms of communication and you people are ready to hang her. Leave the o and go and write your own article. Just pray that BN posts it?

• tunmi

June 7, 2015 at 3:20 am

Thank you jor. It was serious without taking itself itself seriously. With all the Abati and Okupe and FFK or whatever his name is, it is refreshing to see something different.

19. Chisom M.

June 6, 2015 at 8:17 pm

One word Eva, distasteful! Pls permit me to make it two – RUDE!! I’ll bet you knew what you were doing but I’m not sure you know you do NOT command more than a mustard seed influence in Entertainment in Nigeria. Have a seat ? will you!

20. Chief

June 6, 2015 at 8:23 pm

What do you guys mean by an elderly man?He’s there to serve us and if he knows that he’s an elderly man,he should have stayed back in his country home and leave the position for the younger generation to take up the mantle.After all when GEJ was on the seat,nigerians called him names ( cluesless president,fool etc) and GEJ is an elderly man too…Heloooooooo!!!

21. Adelaide

June 6, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Well, if she had written “sophisticated” english do you think He would have understood it?

22. N.M

June 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Eva Alodia, I am highly disappointed. No respect whatsoever for Mr. President. You have a message to pass across, but I got pissed off with the guy, tahhhh etc you kept on writing.
    Well better luck next time.

23. nene

June 6, 2015 at 10:59 pm

gerrara here for real. stick to ur rap music aunty eva. no respect or decorum! kai! good riddance.

24. Root

June 6, 2015 at 11:04 pm

One word… Incoherent! Well as long as you realise the President won’t waste his time reading that. No offence.

25. Mazi

June 6, 2015 at 11:54 pm

For the bants o!
    Her primary school report card comment might go like this:
    Teacher: Eva Alordia’s cognitive abilities are deficient. She will need constant supervision in order to improve her letter writing skills in the future.
    Signed: Mrs Olayiwola (Class Teacher)

26. Berry Dakara

June 7, 2015 at 12:01 am

I think that she had valid points in her letter (and lol @ the job suggestion), but I think it should have been a bit more serious.The tone was a little too flippant.

27. Light

June 7, 2015 at 5:58 am

well done Eva, People stop the criticism. Eva wrote an open letter to Mr. president and added a little spice and not because she cannot write good English. like it or not she has passed a message across. We have had several people write this letters too in very good and clear English but what happened nothing, still stressing on her first point, we should learn to love and support each other. stop the hating.

28. Beeeee

June 7, 2015 at 7:45 am

All of a sudden, we remember that we need to respect our president? Lol

29. Naked

June 7, 2015 at 8:56 am

This girl must have being sold a dummy back in Kenya with regards to her second point of “24 hours electricity”. My Kenya friend was just telling me a week ago about the erratic power in Kenya, so i don’t know where they took her to in Kenya that had 24 hours electricity.

30. suliat

June 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm

soooooo rude of you eva at least he his old enough to be your father guess dat is how you call your ‘dad’ guy

31. david yk

June 7, 2015 at 4:38 pm

At least u should give respect to ur President……… sha d diz a nice letter written by Eva alordiah to his excellency d “GEN
    MUHAMMADU BUHARI”……….

32. Tommy

June 7, 2015 at 8:35 pm

One of the problems we have in Nigeria is criticism. A fellow Nigerian comes out with an open letter to the President and all you can do is lay critics on her instead of applauding her. This is one of the things that she stated. HATRED!!!! What a pity.

33. Kai Kai Kai

June 7, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Say as e dey do u for body. It’s sad that most f the comments here are directed at her , rather than her guy, yo!
    She lost the plot when she decided to rap to the President. There is a time and season for everything and this was not the time to rap.

34. Frostycake

June 8, 2015 at 10:50 am

So she doesn’t hVe friends that will read it first and give opinion…if she actually did show her friends this letter before posting then her friends terrible gan lmaaaaoooooo abeg guy Eva go and write a better letter

35. lola

October 16, 2015 at 10:49 am

Heeba, hahaha, nice one! Open letter via one stomach.

36. Toyosi

January 24, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I implore mr president to implement the move for a referendum to be held in the troubled regions of the country. Particularly Biafra