Career

Ink Eze: Necole Bitchie Ends Her Loved Gossip Website | 3 Things I Found Out

Ink Eze

Necole Kane - Necole BitchieNecoleBitchie.com has come to an end. The gossip site, mainly focused on African-American celebs and stars, started in 2008 and its owner Necole Kane, went on to win many awards and accolades for it – she appeared in Cosmopolitan, BET, etc.

Many women, like me, could relate to Necole Bitchie because it was analytical, as well as entertaining and you could trust her ‘tea’ was real.

In her final blog post on the site, titled “It’s Time For Me to Move On”, I learned three notable things about her, the business of blogging and staying true to one’s self.

1. Gossip is Winning
Necole started off as a pure gossip site, but as time went on she toned down insulting the stars, and even became friends with some. There were even dating rumours (for example, with Trey Songz), and she often got called out for being biased. But as she became ‘softer’ on the stars, she also tried to put in more inspirational stories, form a community and let readers tell more of their stories.

“I’ve asked myself time and time again – When all is said and done, what will people say about you?  How are you elevating your audience? What are you doing to contribute to your culture in a positive way? Are you doing a good job of pushing the culture forward? How are you touching people and changing their lives?

The fact that I can’t answer that right now is problematic for me.  I always felt that no matter how much positivity we promoted on the site, the salacious stories were always going to overshadow them.  The ‘Bitchie’ in the website name was always going to be counterproductive to the mission I had of being a source of inspiration, and launching a platform for women to tell their stories.”

Necole wanted more positivity, but that’s not where the tide was going – her readers still wanted ‘the tea’.

If you ask me, the success of publications are a reflection of society. For example, Ovation is successful because West Africans like a peek into the lives of the creme de la creme – their weddings, their burials and birthday parties.

In the US, The Shade Room is becoming the top black gossip blog because it’s fast, based on speculations (sometimes accurate) and mostly based on celebs’ messy interactions. People live for ‘shade’ now – subtle jabs celebs throw at each other and salacious tales rather than positive stories. This is why, as many people pointed out, in the same week, the Caitlyn Jenner transition story trumped Akon providing electricity to millions of people, a purely positive and high impact move, which wasn’t as ‘sexy’ or interesting as a famous Olympian becoming a hot transgender woman.

2. Money and Fame Aren’t Everything
Necole, an orphan, was kicked out of her aunt’s house in her twenties and had to sleep on people’s couches for a while, until blogging gave her the resources to get her own place. With the rising success of her blog also came fame and more money, but she began to feel more empty.

From Necole’s farewell post,

“Despite all of those things, I continued to notice that I was experiencing more fulfillment and success from women coming to me on the street and saying, ‘Your story inspires me so much!!’ than I did the ‘you got all the tea, I love your celebrity blog!!!’ I was getting more fulfillment out of speaking engagements, panels and inspirational interviews than I was flying to a luxurious location, given freebies and standing next to someone famous. I began measuring my success not by the amount of people who read my blog, or the money I made, but by the number of people I was able to touch, motivate and inspire.”

Sometimes what you wish for isn’t what you actually need the most. She got the platform, but her purpose in life changed as she grew as a person. Food for thought: in your life now, does your profession reflect your purpose and your passion?

3. It’s Never Too Late to Get it RightimageNecole has talked about refusing offers to get her website bought in the past, as she didn’t want her name attached to something she didn’t believe in. Instead of letting the website move in a direction she wasn’t happy with, she has decided to start a new chapter.

“Too many people are not living their dreams because of fear.  I DO NOT want to become one of those people.

I had to destroy it, before it destroyed me.

For seven years, I’ve given this platform everything in me. Now, it’s time to refocus that energy into something that I truly believe in.

I hope that one day my story will inspire young women across the globe to pursue their heart’s desires, but I also want them to know that when their passion turns into a project, and it’s no longer fun anymore, that it’s okay to move on. It’s okay to evolve, and it’s definitely okay to reinvent. My favorite quote by Steve Harvey is ‘You have to give up something to get something.’ He always tells the story that after he gave up stand up comedy, he was given his own TV show, became an Emmy-nominated host on Family Feud, released books which were turned into movies and the list goes on. He now uses his gifts to grow a brand focused on empowerment and inspiration.”

What I’ve learned: It’s never too late to start over. Even in 2015. It’s July now, the second half of the year. You still have about 6 months to achieve what you set out to at the beginning of the year. You can’t fail if you don’t even try, so just go ahead.

You may lose but you will learn, but don’t think that way – be optimistic and try your best, your new chapter could be the best one yet.

Cheers to Necole! I can’t wait to see what else she has in store.

Ink Eze is the Founder of AsoEbiBella.com, a platform for sharing African traditional styles.In her early years, she was Head Girl of her secondary school, attended the prestigious United World College of the Adriatic, then studied Modern Culture and Media at the Ivy League Brown University. She honed her skills in advertising and digital media at one of America’s leading tech companies in marketing.She became BellaNaija Weddings editor in 2013, and Assistant Editor of BellaNaija, heading the lifestyle section - Style, Beauty and Living until January 2017. Under her leadership, BN Weddings gained international prominence and became Africa’s foremost wedding media brand with millions of followers across several platforms and coverage on BuzzFeed, BBC & more. #AsoEbiBella became BellaNaija.com’s top feature, with over 1 million followers on Instagram. She conceived of BBN Wonderland, Nigeria’s top bridal event since 2015 with Baileys Nigeria.Now she spends her time on AsoEbiBella and sharing her insights with the world. For more Ink, join her on @Ink.Eze | @AsoEbiBella

1. Busola Adedire

Oluwabusola Adedire

July 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I respect Necole’s authenticity.

• Polypoly

July 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

@Nkechi Eze – sweetie, thr Media didnt buy into Akon’s hype because they could see through his 419 antics. Akon publicly said blood diamonds are a hollywood, despite thousands of african being killed and tortured (charles taylor case). Ofcourse he is part owner of a diamond mine.
      The Akon LightupAfrica thing was just fraud!! Akon did not use his money, he was just a spokesperson for the Chinese company was gonna be dumping defect solar panels and getting african govts to commit to loans they cant afford. Please get educated on Chinese govt and shady dealings in africa.

2. chy

July 3, 2015 at 12:12 pm

shes so beautiful.
    i cnt forget in a hurry how dencia cussed the living daylight out of this babe last 2 months on instagram

• Onetallgirl

July 3, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Cuz Denica is a foolish fool!

3. ant

July 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm

@lindaikeji,, please take note!

• ChicadimplesNG

July 3, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Shut up!
      Amebo

• chy

July 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm

lol.no be small tin

• who be dis wan?

July 3, 2015 at 3:45 pm

We are talking Necole, you’re talking Linda. Are you alright?

• Kiiki

July 3, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Well Said!!!!

4. Tosin

July 3, 2015 at 12:34 pm

‘creme de la creme’ being the French for tiff de la tiff.

5. Gistyinka Blog

July 3, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I respect her hustle over the years, but adore people that sell news worth reading than gossip.. Goodluck to her..

6. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

July 3, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I think she’s Linda’s role model. Sounds really Lindaish to me. Goodluck!!!

7. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 3, 2015 at 1:45 pm

*Deep sigh* “wide smile”. Ink, this was a refreshing reminder of purpose and the things that matter the most … especially now that we’re firmly trekking into the 2nd half of 2015 (yes oh, that dawning of Wednesday 1st of July chimed very loudly in my personal calendar… it is well).

Props to Nicole Bitchie for taking her new step – I know who she is, even though I’ve never been on her site and here’s hoping that she’ll be able to resist the temptation to return to the lure of gossip blogging for hits. I’m sure many calls and prospects are already pouring in to lend her name to something else in that same business…

And I love what was written in her photo- “If I’m not relevant for the right reasons, I’d rather not be relevant at all”. That measuring stick can be used by anyone, not just perceived gossip bloggers and social media influencers because there are so many things messed up in our world today that more people need positivity in their lives than ever before. You can’t even measure the fulfilment of impacting one single, secretly suffering heart who just needed a word or smile or a message that you’re able to share with that person… If you choose to embrace that calling, you’ll quickly find that we’re all in this journey together as long as we remain on this earth.

Wishing Nicole the very best of another kind of success as she ventures towards finding her purpose. Ink, I wan nearly ask whether na you wey dey the piksho until I come read dey go… 🙂

8. VK

July 3, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Well this is just Nicoles personality and she has found what fulfills her. Some people, like the kardarshians will milk the money and fame well till it runs dry.

9. Hadassah

July 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

The truth is that gossip sells. There nothing more captivating than seeing someone saying or doing things you’ve been taught were wrong which is why sex video trumps a video about saving the environment or helping the needy. But like Necole noticed, it can draw you in and make you feel hollow. I don’t think she’d have stopped though if she hadn’t already garnered the fame and money she currently has and her bold move will not really stop others from toeing the same line.

10. chi

July 3, 2015 at 2:39 pm

One less American blog for bellanaija and that and k leg Linda to stop copying, cutting and pasting from

11. mee

July 3, 2015 at 2:42 pm

now y calling linda ikeji name every body has different paths to choose if nichole is turning its nt necc for linda to be like her. linda inspires me in her own way so let her be. all u holier than thou forming u dont go to blog she gives me the much needed distraction after the days stress.

12. BellaCurvesNG.com

July 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm

She has an awesome personality. one that cant be compared to Linda’s. Good that she is moving on, cos most times, this that aint your calling can be very exhausting.
    Beautiful write up Nkechi. and thanks for giving us this dose via Bella Naija

13. ardnas

July 3, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Sometimes what you wish for isn’t what you actually need the most…this stood out for me in your write up. thanks for inspiring me and making me think more clearly about PURPOSE today the 3rd of july…Maybe that dream job isn’t all i need aftarall to be fulfilled or happy #purpose …

14. mrs chidukane

July 3, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I read the post yesterday and almost had a heart attack. That’s the only black American gossip blog I read. My blog feed is becoming dry oh. It’s now BN,LIB and occasionally FBD. Someone please recommend interesting blogs please. Help a sister!

• Tip

July 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Read stelladimokorkus you won’t regret

• Beta reading material

July 3, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Try the FT blogs or BusinessDay blogs or Economist blogs. Grow your mind and get out of the filthy gossip blogs.
      BTW: BN is a fashion blog that dabbles in gossip to keep hits artificially high.

• mrs chidukane

July 4, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Oh please, and who told you I don’t read Economist sometimes? What do you know about my mind sef? Mtcheew

15. Berry Dakara

July 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I never went to her website – I just knew it was a gossip website, and strictly gossip sites typically don’t interest me. I think it’s an admirable thing for her to come to the realization that she wasn’t fulfilling a purpose within her – to make a positive impact. I’m sure it was a very difficult decision to make. At the end of the day though, you have to be true to yourself.

Best wishes to her. I’m sure she’ll do well regardless of whatever it is.

Berry Dakara Blog

• mrs chidukane

July 3, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Berry believe me her blog name is off putting but it’s really a nice blog. It’s much like Bella Naija which I won’t actually term a gossip blog. Very well put together and as positive as it can be. Recently there were lots of inspiring stories and if you over look the comments sometimes, her blog is quite enjoyable. I really will miss it.

16. new bride

July 3, 2015 at 4:56 pm

May God grant us wisdom to know when to move on in life.

I wish her all the best!

17. Toks Akisanya

July 3, 2015 at 5:22 pm

In as much as I’m happy for anyone who chooses to follow their dream(s), I do know it’s easier to stop and move on after you have become successful. This choice wasn’t made when she was still sleeping on couches, or before the luxurious trips and accommodations. This choice was made after some level of satisfaction and success. I can be a dope boy, doing something I totally know is wrong. And once I’ve gotten enough fulfillment, it’s much easier to turn my life around, ala some of these hip-hop rappers. The success of one venture, will sponsor the beginning of the next.

So when I read stories like these, I don’t get overly emotional, or inspired. I just see someone that makes her money off celebrities that she herself has become. And will never get respect from her peers as long as she keeps this line of work. She has two choices, ignore them and keep making her living, or if she has other talents, take the money you have and invest it in that. It becomes a win win situation. Such choices are easily made on a full stomach.

Sha, much love to her and her future ventures. And nice write up @ Ink.

18. Tip

July 3, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Never heard of her, living In America has put me off black Americans

19. mey

July 3, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Refreshing and inspirational..Its never too late..

20. Linda listen o!

July 3, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Ms. Ikeji, how now? I hope say you no go go this way o! Use wisdom o! If you ever stop blogging you go broke like crazy. Gossip blogging is the only way to make it in naija o!

Na lie my dear….The real reason I no want make you follow her is that I cannot imagine surviving without all your gossip and gist…..I beg no retire o!

21. jane

July 3, 2015 at 11:18 pm

I think she made the right decision. God bless for this. I’m happy, very, very.

22. Abbs

July 4, 2015 at 12:29 pm

@ToksAkinsanya as someone who has been involved in various businesses – successful and unsuccessful, I know for certain that it is much easier to jump ship when you are just starting off than when you are all comfy and doing well.

Starting something from scratch is not easy, people will discourage you because they won’t be able to see past your current situation. You will question whether it’s going to be all worth your effort, and if you are starting it alone you will have to keep encouraging yourself which can be difficult without a magic globe to see into the future!

I have never visited Necole Bitchie but I have heard of the blog and have heard of her success. To drop everything now after all she’s achieved could not have been easy. She can still take the money she has made to invest in other businesses, no reason to shut down that revenue stream just because you want to diversify.

I’d say all props to her. If she is truly doing it for the reasons stated then she has earned my full respect!

23. Maureen

July 6, 2015 at 11:40 am

Wow. A Bold and courage step. I wish her bliss and fulfilment in her next endeavour. This is a lesson we should all learn from. Fulfillment before fame and money.

Nkechi, you held me spellbound with your choice of words and style of writing till the very last dot. Keep it up. More grace.