News

Pres. Buhari Speaks on Boko Haram, Fall in Oil Prices & More in Interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour – VIDEO + Full Transcript

Buhari CNN

In President Muhammadu Buhari‘s highly-anticipated interview with CNN International correspondent, Christiane Amanpour, he discusses the outcome of his meeting with Obama, the fall in oil prices, defeating Boko Haram, and more.

Read the full transcript below:

Christiane Amanpour: Mr President you have asked the United States to help you in the fight against Boko Haram. What exactly did you ask in this regard and answers did President Obama give you?

President Muhammadu Buhari: The United States leading the G7 promised to do what they can to help Nigeria. So we have brought our requirements in terms of training, equipping and intelligence-gathering for Nigeria to be able to fight Boko Haram.

Christiane Amanpour: You mention the economy and the fall in oil prices over the last many months. How are you going to deal with that? Because that is really what your people want.

Buhari: My people, firstly I believe, they want the security in the country to be stabilized so that normal life, both in the southern part of the country where militants are still sabotaging oil installations and kidnapping people and demanding ransom and then in the north east of the country where Boko Haram is still active. This is a main preoccupation of Nigerians now and is a realistic way of looking at things. Nothing will work until the country is secured.

Christiane Amanpour: But despite your vows to tackle Boko Haram, there are reports in your own country that there have been at least 400 deaths by that group since you became president. Added to that, Amnesty International reports that your military has totally lost the credibility and trust of the people because of the systematic human rights abuses, the killing of some 8000 people. How do you expect your military to be able to go against Boko Haram, to get the trust of the people instead of being a platform for Boko Haram’s grievances?

Buhari: Well I have just mentioned that under Lake Chad Basin Commission, we have agreed to form a multinational joint task force, so whatever happened before that decision was taken, we have to allow further investigations to verify the question of human rights abuse. And with that I am sure you must have known the decision taken by this government – the federal government of Nigeria – in changing the military command.

Christiane Amanpour: What about the famous Chibok girls, the 200 or so, abducted so long ago; yet again there has been a suggestion that the Boko Haram captors may seek to trade them for their incarcerated inmates who they want to get out, is your government willing to trade those girls in that regard?

Buhari: We have to be very careful about the credibility of various Boko Haram leaderships coming up and claiming that they can deliver. We have to be very careful indeed and we are taking our time because we want to bring them safe back to their parents and to their schools.

Christiane Amanpour: So are you in principle against, or will you consider, negotiating with Boko Haram if you can verify the credibility of those who approach you?

Buhari: I cannot be against it. I told you our main objective as a government is to secure those girls safe and sound back to their schools and rehabilitate them to go back to normal life. So if we are convinced that the leadership that presented itself can deliver those girls safe and sound, we would be prepared to negotiate what they want.

Christiane Amanpour: You came to power on a platform that you will do better than the previous president in all regards: security, corruption, economy etcetera. But there have been hundreds of people killed since you become president. How can you do any better?

Buhari: I think I can be held to my promises for the next three and three-quarter years ahead of me. And I think 12 weeks or so are too early for any person to pass judgment on my campaign promises.

Christiane Amanpour: What about your campaign promises to root out corruption, if they turn out that some of the guilty ones were members of your own party or your own associates; Will you crack down on them too?

Buhari: I just have to; there isn’t going to be any party member or any personality that can escape justice.

Christiane Amanpour: Are you disappointed that President Obama yet again is not coming to Nigeria. The biggest and most economically powerful country in Africa?

Buhari: I wouldn’t say I was disappointed, but how I wished he will change his mind and go to Nigeria.

Christiane Amanpour: Did you ask him, did he say he would?

Buhari: Well I asked him and that I will send a formal invitation.

Christiane Amanpour: Let me ask you about a previous African leader, the former dictator of Chad, Hissene Habre who is being tried – or at least they are trying to try him – in Senegal; do you support that process of trying an accused African leader in Africa, rather than at the International Criminal Court?

Buhari: Justice is justice, whether it is done in Africa or elsewhere in the world. The important thing is let justice be done. Whatever evidence the prosecution has in Senegal, I think they should proceed to make it available to the world and prosecute him according to international law and human rights.

Christiane Amanpour: So you support that process?

Buhari: I support any process that is based on justice.

Christiane Amanpour: President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria, thank you for joining me from Washington.

Buhari: Thank you very much.

Watch the video:

1. haayeesha

July 22, 2015 at 9:55 am

The whiners are not here yet, i’ll be back!

• kilode

July 22, 2015 at 10:58 am

@haayeesha, For you to specifically look out for the whiners like you said, has it occurred to you that you are the chief whiner this morning? You whine, they whine like someone said, “you all whine on different sides of the fence”. If you are smart, you will know that not everyone voted for Buhari. Same way people who do not like GEJ complained, it is the same way, those who do not like the Dullard will complain.

We cannot all like the same things. It is called freedom of expression. Say your own, l say my own. I am sure not everyone in your family like you? Wear your thinking cap for once. It is politics duuuh!

• renix

July 22, 2015 at 3:34 pm

#WORD.

2. Naijababeii

July 22, 2015 at 9:56 am

K Me am waiting for the chainji at is all

3. Warizdiz

July 22, 2015 at 10:05 am

This is not Amanpour at her best. Bubu got a free pass.
    Anyways, l hope Amaechi was in the room when the interview held. I also hope Tifnubu, Fashola, Aregbeshola, the Emir of Kano, PDP cross carpenters, all the thieves that ran to the senate etc watched too. We know where the PDP thieves are headed. The next three years will be interesting indeed.

Furthermore, Bubu should stop campaigning, elections are over “……nothing will work untill the country is secured” You were voted into power to make it work. Get your bony self back and get to work.

• sise

July 22, 2015 at 10:51 am

Yess O. Very weak interview. If l am an investor, I will not come to Naija until the security situation is good. Afterall, our President is the chief scare monger.

• Oooh No!

July 22, 2015 at 11:05 am

Don’t mind Amanpour. I’m sure she was bribed and the interview probably took place at Transcorp Abuja. More propaganda…lool

• BRIBED OOOH NO

July 22, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Bribed’ you think everyone acts like you or everywhere is like our country Nigeria…Put on your thinking brazier abeg…

• HabaBabah

July 22, 2015 at 11:06 am

This President sef. Chibok girls? Are girls really missing? You use your own hand to put fire in your own house. This man is the most destructive man ever liveth. If he had lost the elections, I bet blood of innocent people would have flowed. Unlike GEJ, all blood and plenty blood is worth Buhari’s ambition. Blood on your hands man.

4. Dee

July 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

Not bad….

5. Moyo

July 22, 2015 at 10:11 am

Well, I am waiting for the commentators who always find something wrong with what Buhari has said.

• [email protected] Confused.com

July 22, 2015 at 11:08 am

How man times have you prayed to you god today? Since Buhari is your god, he can do no wrong. He is perfect.

• Bro buhari is your God"

July 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm

bro……u need to take cenpain and relax..ur blood is too hot…Buhari is our President and we will support him u hear….gerrarrahere

6. Ibinabo

July 22, 2015 at 10:28 am

Well done Sir, but those girls are long gone. #sadtruth

7. prince

July 22, 2015 at 10:38 am

I watched the interview live. He spoke well and he was direct enough. I know we are all in a hurry but why this Nation needs most is prayers from her citizen and positive attitude.
    God bless Nigeria

• nnenne

July 22, 2015 at 1:05 pm

@ Prince. ….

Praying is good but heaven help those who help themselves.
      Until Nigerians start seeing things objectively, shun tribalism, greed, selfishness and really understand the real meaning of ONE nation. your prayers will make no difference.

8. Truth Teller

July 22, 2015 at 11:01 am

Decent interview. Quite basic but well answered. Well done sir, the enemies of progress shall be put to shame in this dear nation of ours.

9. smiley

July 22, 2015 at 11:37 am

Warizdiz has definitely taken over nnenne….bitter soul!!!

• Warizdiz

July 22, 2015 at 12:53 pm

@Smiley, I choose not to be a STUPID & GULLIBLE SHEEP like you.

• LondonLivingLekkibased

July 22, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Yeeepa! Epic Shade. @Warizdiz, the shader of all shaders!! @Smiley, are you still smilling? Na question l ask o.

• nnenne

July 22, 2015 at 1:13 pm

@ Smiley….Truth hurts. Believe it or not you and I will live with the decisions being made today. All this loans without a finance minister, and all of you Buharist are chanting amen.
      Where are my state governors? The season of loans is here. Get your own. Nigeria will deal with it just like everybody else’s.

10. Lola

July 22, 2015 at 11:40 am

I am not a pro Buhari but I must admit grudgingly that all his answers were on point.

11. Reverse

July 22, 2015 at 12:12 pm

A man that promised to crush BH within two months is now calling for negotiation. Who admits he’s willing to negotiate with terrorists on international TV? The Nigerian messiah! This is the same man who his people said that BH will cower at his feet by the time he finishes with them; how he flew into Maitatsine and the invaders ran! He’d lead from the battlefront bla bla bla… mouth don change.

Also, I do not understand all the emphasis on Chibok girls, what of the other over 2000 people that have been kidnapped by BH? So once they return Chibok girls, those ones are counted as collateral damage? That’s what politicising everything does! APC used Chibok girls as a campaign tool, brought out all the big guns to attack the last govt and scoffed at any efforts to resolve the insurgency. Now gmb feels that to keep his ‘international support’, he’d give BH whatever they want for the Chibok girls. As someone rightly said, ‘we have pictures of the kidnapped girls’ just in case they gather a random group to hoodwink us… sow propaganda, reap propaganda.

Meanwhile he’s collecting N2.1bn from world bank to rehabilitate NE? Really? You’ve not resolved the menace and you’re collecting loans without a finance minister. The governors of the NE states are collecting huge FAAC, security votes and bailouts for their pockets, while the country goes deeper into debt. Where’s the loan to rebuild Niger Delta ravished by their oil? Who rebuilt SE after the civil war?

In conclusion, Change is one of the biggest scams pulled in recent history! Proudly #wailingwailer

• nnenne

July 22, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Me too.
      We will keep wailing till justice is done in Nigeria. All the SE people have all migrated out of Nigeria When they come back with whatever savings they managed to put together, my brothers in the North , who are controlling our resources since oil was discovered in Nigeria and refused to share it , even to their own lesser privilege will start crying.
      It is time Northerners start hustling like the rest of us. You can’t sit in Nigeria marrying many wives and complain that your people are undeveloped.
      Brornu State in the NE gets more allocation than Anambra state. Yet they complain.
      They have all opportunity to go to school but they chose not to and we that went through civil war should be punished for that? ?

12. FasolasLover

July 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm

#Proudly wailing for Nigeria. The propaganda is GAJU!

13. kike

July 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm

It’s so easy to judge watching from the sidelines. All the American movies you guys watch have deceived you. We don’t have the money, intelligence or arms to be forming we don’t negotiate with terrorists like the CIA, we have to do what is applicable to our own jurisdiction. All you Jonathan loyalists what did that man ever do for you but bleed the country dry. He is hero bla bla, do you even know what that word means? He conceded defeat because he had no choice but to. Or has Jonathan ever struck you as a strong willed person that would hold on to power at any cost? Can Jonathan grant interviews like this? Be truthful, the success of Buhari is to the advantage of us all. People praying for his downfall maybe you have dual citizenship to run away if Nigeria fails as for me I will pray he does a good job to the betterment of my life and my unborn children.

• Jisiike

July 22, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Congratulations and clap for yourself. Hollywood films Hv dulled ur brain. See no evil, ask no questions. Shebi Buhari will allow opposition abuse him? Which one is ur own pain meant for this matter? Happy worshipping.

• Jisiike

July 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

F- auto correct. ” nollywood”.

• whatwillbewillbe

July 23, 2015 at 5:20 am

2 points to make. First GEJ was ridiculed for attempting to dream of negotiating with BH, can u remember?
      Second, in as much as I’ll say the interview wasn’t bad, Pls let’s be honest, that interview didn’t go deep at all. If I’ve ever heard of a friendly interview, this is it.
      I don’t know how I feel about this negotiation sha, how long are we going to negotiate? If it’s not BH today, it’ll be another group tomorrow as long as they know if they shake us too much, we’ll run to the negotiating table. In anycase, I don’t see BH that is now affiliated with ISIS negotiating nothing. Our only way out is to crush them for good.

14. Professor X

July 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Una no go kill person. Lol @ #WailingWailer. I guess it is the new battle cry for accountability

15. No name

July 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Lol she went easy, and presido answered well. She went hard on GEJ and he didn’t answer as well.

16. nnenne

July 22, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Wow! Jonathan is gone now. Why do we find vital difficult to let him go.
    The topic under discussion is indiscriminate borrowing of money without a finance minister monitoring it’s usage, as the terror war continues.
    How did Jonathan become part of this discussion? ?

17. nnenne